For those who wear medical diapers/fully incontinent

For skin health, if you are able it is recommended that you "air out" for a while each day. Physicians do not agree on exactly how long, but generally suggest at least 45 minutes to an hour without a diaper as being helpful, but more if you can. To prevent accidents, you can "air out" while sitting on an absorbent pad. You also can sit on an untaped diaper and just tape it up if you begin to leak. As I know when I generally will begin to leak, I set an alarm on my watch to remind me that it is time to tape up the diaper.

Another useful item is a hand-held mirror for self-inspection of those hard-to-see areas. It helps to detect the early signs of skin irritation before they become rashes.:)

--John
(double incontinent)

Reactions: Diprs2, Jonnythepony and ParaRomeo
SavSav said:
I actually doneed to talk to her more about this, yes. I have alarms set every 6 hours right now to go or change but she wants that more often. She’s afraid I’ll get diaper rash so is trying to help me create a plan to stay healthy:) I’m also a pretty active guy

Without stating where do you live in a place that has seasons or it gets hot in the summer?

The reason I ask and not sure how long you been ic for or type of ic you have but sweat is moisture and no matter cloth back or plastic you can sweat causing the diaper to absorb it and so some diapers depending on brand some can clump. I think it's good to get a plan with this person but I would also talk with them because alot of providers don't know about various diapers out there. You said you have alarms to check or change every 6hrs she may only know about the brand their facility uses or a different brand. So its like before I started using more expensive diapers and still used ones that were better than the hospital ones let's say mid grade when I went to wound care I had a slight diaper rash besides allowing air to get to the area they suggested I changed every hour to hour and half and was like really and she was like well I imagine the diapers last 2-3hrs and was like it's usually at minimum 3hrs and she didn't know about the brand I wore and I showed her the difference with a dry one and she got one of theirs and was ok well change more often till it clears about half way so if avg time is 4 change every 2hrs for a week. Also same goes even present day if I can I have a hospital bag with enough diapers for a couple days and had aids and nurses come in every 3hrs it did get written down I refused to be changed but once I explained i was using my own diapers and they were better they were good. I know last time in was in the hospital last yr by day 3 they were coming in every 4-5hrs to see if I needed help so their experience maybe different. There honestly so many brands and variations of diapers out there.

If it was me I would talk with them and say you check every 6hrs now and they may say check every 5hrs or what have you. But if you have someone willing to help and create a plan and thats what works for you go for it. I have a head injury so my memory can be crap and I probably should still have alarms set but in the beginning I did. Like I mentioned not only are we different, our ic maybe different, our intake/output maybe, our diapers maybe different. Also you may hear things like this diaper can hold X amount most are lab tested results so real life maybe different or Joe & Jim(made up names) wear this diaper 9hrs there results maybe different, I would find what works for you the best. Like I said I probably should have a plan or reminders but each situation is different it's like was at an appointment on Friday and provider who knows my situation offered me a place to change if needed and was like I should be good it's a short drive well I forgot it was Friday afternoon and I leaked on way home which is depressing but sort of my fault, sometimes I'm like I don't want to waste a diaper when half wet I am normally good well if changed no issue and I was wrong in hind site I wish I changed when I had chance but that's me or my situation.

Reactions: Diprs2
I change 3 to 4 times a day if we are out and about in the summer heat I will change a bit more often just to feel more comfortable.

I wear disposable diapers and generally change between 3 to 5 times daily. I give my skin a break by going undiapered for an hour or two each day. If I need to go out or can’t risk wetting my pants during these times, I’ll wear a Threaded Armor reusable pull-on cloth diaper, which “breaths” and takes care of any leakage.

in the summertime when it’s hot, I switch to clothbacked disposables, with breathable wings. They seem to work for me. Plastic backed diapers during the hot season tends to give me small blisters

Reactions: Diprs2, daylight and EcoIncon
I change by need and time. Three hours is usually the longest I’ll go without changing but, will change as soon as an hour (or less). It depends on current and upcoming situations, and smell. Smelling like pee overrides any wetness indicator. Consequently, my diaper calculus does not include super-ultra (expensive) absorbing models. YMMV of course.

Summer heat affects everything, how much you drink, clothes, and activity levels. I am more active during the longer days. Like others, I switch to using more cloth backed diapers or pull-ons, and change more often. Be sure to increase your air-ing out times, if possible, morning and evening to give your skin extra care.

Back