For those those who still manage/try to use the toilets. Protections management curiosity.

After using the toilets, do you replace your protection

• Only if soaked?

Votes: 52 85.2%
  • Even when only slightly wet?

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • All the times?

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

DreamerBenenedicte

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I often dribble/squirt urine and also have more important leaks due to urgencies.
When I rush to the toilets and manage (or not...) to pee on the toilets my protection is always at least slightly wet.
And each time I wonder if I should change or not. It feels a bit gross to put back on a wet pad or pull-up. So I often end up changing even if it is realy not so wet.
Strange because I often could bear the protection when it was on. But suddenly can't stand it anymore once pulled down on my knees.
How would you manage ?

I keep the same one mostly when outside of home and it's not easy to clean up and change (if not too wet of course).
Or when I'm alone and it's mostly dry and it wasn't on for too long. Try to keep it maximum 3h (pads) and 4h (pull-ups).

I would like to know how you handle that.
It's expensive to change too often but you also need to take care of your hygiene and your skin...

Reactions: ILuvDiapers, sport1, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
I hie a combined dribble- and urge urine incontinence. Daytime I use Attends Flex belt type diapers, which on one hand give me easy and quick access to the toilet if I'm able to reach one in time, on the other hand have enough capacity to bring me through a half day even if I can't use a toilet (for peeing) at all. Another plus, belt type diapers are - compared to a pullup style - very easy to change in a public restroom standing freely without needing to undress your trousers, fixation pants, shoes or needing a wall to lean on as you often do with full taped diapers.

I always refasten my diaper as long as there is some capacity left. Especially with my urge IC if I'd change after every wetting I'd need up to 6-8 diapers/day, which makes no sense and would disturb all my routines and doings. So usually I wear one daytime diaper between 4 and 8 hours, near to end of capacity, depending how much I'm wetting rsp. how often I manage to reach a toilet. Absolutely no issues with my skin, also no bad smelling as I stay well hydrated, my pee is usually quite clear and doesn't smell, also supported by the odor control of my diapers. Of course while changing at home always washing with ph-neutral soap and drying carefully before re-diapering. No need for use of any cream or powder.

For sleeping I use a high quality full diaper which holds the complete night up to 12 hours without leaking, I stopped to try to rush (mostly unsuccessful) to the toilet in the nights and use instead my diaper.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Constantlydamp
Although rarely use a toilet, totally relate to how quickly a wet diaper gets cold / clammy feeling when pulling it back on after! Fortunately it would quickly warm back up... Depending on the diaper, the wet padding can also shift when it's pulled down for toilet access - essentially requiring a change anyway even if you weren't planning on it.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and sledder23
I haven't tried to use a toilet since I failed toilet training. I tried for years (when I was in high school) and actually sat on the toilet for hours thinking toilet training might work again. It never worked. Mainly because I'm IC. I finally let it go and stopped trying. It was too frustrating. The only times I use the toilet is to drop stool from my dirty diaper in the morning. I have a tendency to flood from strong (and sometimes painful) urgency. So I simply do not have the time to take down my diaper to pee. I'm sure I'm not the only ones that never use a toilet.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, FLsolarSparky02 and sledder23
I clicked "Only if soaked". But the reality is that I will wait to change it when it starts to smell (3+ hours).

Reactions: AttilaThePun and sledder23
slimjiminy said:
I clicked "Only if soaked". But the reality is that I will wait to change it when it starts to smell (3+ hours).
Similar to you, if my diaper feels wet or is more than 75% used, I’ll change it out. I’m not a fan of the wet feeling and I try to take care of my skin.

I often don’t make it to the toilet with sudden urinary urges, but if I do, or I have a BM and I’m in the bathroom, I’ll check my diaper. If it can stand another wetting or two, I’ll pull it back up. It has to pass the “not wet feeling” for continued use.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, cantwait and Jonnythepony
That depends on three things for me - I change when:

1) I think it will run out on the next episode.
2) If I am already more than 4 hours in the wet.
3) I had a BM

Reactions: AttilaThePun and cantwait
I would add to @mickdl's list:

4) When I smell, or when I think I smell.

As a matter of discretion, I wear thinner diapers and change more often, home and away. My bladder is either fine or not and when it goes funky (achey 24/7) I cannot tell empty from full, or delay. Thankfully, on average it holds 50ml - 200ml with odd times (e.g., driving) ~400ml So, I'm blessed with the ability to wear thinner diapers and not knowing :)oops:) when/if I need them.

if I'm in a situation (not at home) where I can change and wet, I change.

Reactions: AttilaThePun
I wear a Goodnites XL during the day for occasional dribbling and worse before I can get to a bathroom. Wet or dry, it’s one per day remaining in place till bedtime. Yes, odor is sometimes an issue.

Reactions: Wetshisbed and Fleetwoodmac32192
Depends on the situation. If I'm in public, I'd change right away if I notice any wetness. Whereas if I'm at home I'd wait till the diaper has been used up properly before changing to a new one.

Reactions: Jeysidad and AttilaThePun
How about a booster in the pullup and you can change the booster as needed?
Boosters have been tremendously helpful

• Love
Reactions: diaperdude, AttilaThePun and cantwait
Pokogirl said:
Depends on the situation. If I'm in public, I'd change right away if I notice any wetness. Whereas if I'm at home I'd wait till the diaper has been used up properly before changing to a new one.
Hi I'm from Bangladesh

slimjiminy said:
I only change when I really have to at home. My wife lets me know if I smell.

Pokogirl said:
Same here.

sledder23 said:
Similar to you, if my diaper feels wet or is more than 75% used, I’ll change it out. I’m not a fan of the wet feeling and I try to take care of my skin.

I often don’t make it to the toilet with sudden urinary urges, but if I do, or I have a BM and I’m in the bathroom, I’ll check my diaper. If it can stand another wetting or two, I’ll pull it back up. It has to pass the “not wet feeling” for continued use.
I have the same "not wet feeling" requirement for my pull-ups or diapers (disposables in either case), but will also consider the distribution of urine and the estimated remaining capacity. Leak guards must still be dry. The layer closest to my skin must pass the "toilet paper blot test" - if the tp comes away wet or very damp, I change.

I also consider whether I'll likely be at home or away from home when I reach the point it *must* be changed due to my U-IC.

This is one of the main reasons why I use “too much” protection for my IC level. By the numbers, I don’t “need” a diaper with the capacity of Incontrol Essential/Elite or Megamax or anything like those - a Depend pull up is technically sufficient for me - but using those higher capacity products means I never feel the slightest bit damp, let alone wet, and I can get by on two diapers per day rather than 3 pull ups during the day and a diaper for sleeping.

All to say, I use the toilet regularly during the day and it never feels yucky or anything like that when I retape the diaper. Everything is fully absorbed.

Last edited:
DreamerBen said:
I often dribble/squirt urine and also have more important leaks due to urgencies.
When I rush to the toilets and manage (or not...) to pee on the toilets my protection is always at least slightly wet.
And each time I wonder if I should change or not. It feels a bit gross to put back on a wet pad or pull-up. So I often end up changing even if it is realy not so wet.
Strange because I often could bear the protection when it was on. But suddenly can't stand it anymore once pulled down on my knees.
How would you manage ?

I keep the same one mostly when outside of home and it's not easy to clean up and change (if not too wet of course).
Or when I'm alone and it's mostly dry and it wasn't on for too long. Try to keep it maximum 3h (pads) and 4h (pull-ups).

It's expensive to change too often but you also need to take care of your hygiene and your skin...
I have always peed in squirts.

Like I have said I drive cars for a Rent-a-car co. and go all over the state. When I stop for gas I do not know if it is sitting or what I may dribble but I start cramping as soon as get to a gas station it is a pain in the butt to go into a stall and pull pants down, pull plastic pants down, pull the diaper down, by now I probably really dribbling and make it to the potty with my dingaling now peeing. But by the end of the day, my diaper is pretty soggy and due for a change.

Reactions: sport1
DreamerBen said:
How would you manage ?

So for me i will change frequently usually before my diaper is soaked. I still use the toilet to to poo, because i don't like messing in my diaper. I always change after using the toilet, as i don't like re applying a used diaper, irrespective of how wet it is. I tend to change around the 5-6 hour mark if just wet, but always a fresh diaper after using the toilet. Once a diaper or pull up is pulled down to, it becomes cold and clammy quickly so yes, i will always change. :giggle:

Last edited:
Back