For Those Raised On Cloth Diapers, What was your first disposable adult diaper?

babyscotty37

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
Reading a different post triggered a memory of when I first saw, learned of, and used an adult disposable diaper.
This wasn't long after I had my urinary tract reconstructed due to scar tissue from a nurse getting tangled with my catheter after my first back surgeries when I was 12.
Anyway, I had stopped to visit my grandmother on her farm. When I was in the utility room I saw these large adult diapers with a wonderful scent. My grandmother had them there for my cousin who had Spina Bifida and needed them.
I snuck one into my car and was amazed that they made such a thing like this! This was about 1983. I later learned these were the original Attends adult diapers. The inside padding design made them a little warm to wear, but as I mentioned I loved the perfume smell they used.
Sadly, I never had a chance to wear these again. I'm not sure where my grandmother got them but in rural western Nebraska, the best I could ever find were these cheap Sun diapers I think they were called and didn't hold very much at all!
So, I was wondering what your first adult disposable diaper was after being raised, wearing only cloth diapers.

Reactions: Angelapinks
The first adult disposables I saw were the Sure-Care wing fold diapers ... the bag even said 'Diaper style.'

This was in 1984, and although I know Attends were available at that point, they seemed unobtainable where I was living at the time.

Reactions: babyscotty37
Attends were the best back then. All throughout the 80's and early 90's. From the time I was 13 or so I would take a garbage bag and bike to a drug store that I knew sold them. I don't know where that courage came from but I bought them regularly. I would bike home with the diapers in the garbage bag I kept them hidden in an area of our garage that nobody would look in. This went on for years. I still miss the feel of those diapers.

Reactions: clothdl, Angelapinks and babyscotty37
I was a cloth baby in the mid-late 70s, started buying Pampers for myself in the late 80s, got my first adult-sized cloth diapers in the early 2000s, and finally tried adult disposables (ABU Cushies) around 2011. Up until printed AB disposables came out, I truly had no interest in adult disposables. I'd been aware of Attends and Depend products since the 80s, and the thought of them was totally off-putting. I wanted to be a baby, not a grandparent! (I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore, so I get to say that without anybody taking offense, right?)

Reactions: geka, sbmccue and babyscotty37
I remember wearing Ambeze brand disposable incontinence pants. These were much like the early Pampers with a longitudinal Z-fold on both sides, 1 adhesive tape per side. They weren't very absorbent but the were the closest thing to adult baby diapers at that time that I knew of.

The old greenish Depends with three tapes on each side. I put one on and discovered I couldn't pee while driving.

• Haha
Reactions: TenaciousDL, Cottontail and babyscotty37
Depends here, got them from Costco and used them alot when driving Uber. They weren't very good and had lots of leaking.

• Sad
The first adult ones I tried were tena pull up pants from boots chemist when i was about 13/14 (about 25 years ago).

Had to go with pants type as they don't sell taped nappies (at least not off the shelf) in my local stores.

First real nappy with tapes was molicare (around the same age) I used them for a while as I could order them discreetly and the delivery ti.e was consistent enough that I could plan it around days I was home alone for a bit.

Tried Lille for a while then as well and another that I can't remember (they were terrible). Eventually found that Tena were best for all I wanted at the time.

babyscotty37 said:
Reading a different post triggered a memory of when I first saw, learned of, and used an adult disposable diaper.
This wasn't long after I had my urinary tract reconstructed due to scar tissue from a nurse getting tangled with my catheter after my first back surgeries when I was 12.
Anyway, I had stopped to visit my grandmother on her farm. When I was in the utility room I saw these large adult diapers with a wonderful scent. My grandmother had them there for my cousin who had Spina Bifida and needed them.
I snuck one into my car and was amazed that they made such a thing like this! This was about 1983. I later learned these were the original Attends adult diapers. The inside padding design made them a little warm to wear, but as I mentioned I loved the perfume smell they used.
Sadly, I never had a chance to wear these again. I'm not sure where my grandmother got them but in rural western Nebraska, the best I could ever find were these cheap Sun diapers I think they were called and didn't hold very much at all!
So, I was wondering what your first adult disposable diaper was after being raised, wearing only cloth diapers.

That scent was wonderful. When i was in hospital, on the children's ward in 1986. The bathroom and toilets were stacked full of these too. I was wearing them and used to get changed in there, especially when i was messy. I remember the nurses flapping them open before they put them on me. They were soooooooo crinkly and as we were in pjs all day long, it was totally obvious i was wearing nappies. I remember wearing cloth nappies till I was about 3 or 4, then it was disposables from then on, starting at pampers and such till i was too big for them, then it was the attends from then on. All disposables from that era had that intoxicating smell. .. .

Reactions: Angelapinks and babyscotty37
I don't know what brand they were but during my teens I was issued large blue disposable adult nappies via the NHS continence service

Wetshisbed said:
I don't know what brand they were but during my teens I was issued large blue disposable adult nappies via the NHS continence service

I'm sure they were attends and depends. I had the same.

I had depends but just as they were starting to go down in quality like this was 2009….id love to know how good the ones from the 90’s were tho

Cutiedan83 said:
I had depends but just as they were starting to go down in quality like this was 2009….id love to know how good the ones from the 90’s were tho
I used the green depends in the late 80s with three tabs per side. They weren't very absorbant either. I think I only used the newer ones when I was on a trip and ran out of my regular ones. There wasn't much difference in absorbency but they sure didn't hold up very well with any activity. But the original attends were quite a bit more absorbant than the depends of the time.

Reactions: TenaciousDL
The first ones I bought after moving out of my parents house were Large Depends around 1997 . They were all white and crinkly which is what I was looking for but soon found better adult diapers. I then tried the all white Attends at the time and were still those thicker crinkly all white ones. Those were the real deal once I tried those! They did soon start changing them there after. So I caught the tail end of those better thicker Attends.

Reactions: 716DLXL and babyscotty37
Like many others, I started with green Depends around 1998 or 1999. I could depend on them to leak with the first wetting almost every time.

Ambeeze in 1981. Leaked terribly

Reactions: jbond007
My first disposable adult diaper was from the early 80s. It was like a combination diaper/bed pad. They had a Pampers style fold with one tape per side. They were very thin too.
My next disposable was the Attends blue with the mesh lining. This was before they had elastic leg gathers. My first disposable with leg gathers was an adult diaper called Dry Comfort. They came in a pink plastic bag with a picture of an older man and woman on the front. They were actually labeled as adult diapers. The package stated one size fits all. (My ass)

• Wow
Reactions: babyscotty37 and jbond007
Back