For IC Only: What path did you take to briefs (diapers)?

What path did you choose to arrive at diapers (briefs)?

• Guards or pads first, then pull-ups, then lastly briefs

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Pull-ups first, then briefs

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • Straight to briefs

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
For those who became incontinent, what was your path of discovery to see what works best for you?

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
I've always been. But I remember when I was in high school and I thought maybe it would be easier with pull-ups. Right...bad idea. Right after I had a leak. I don't particularly hate diapers but they do the job.

• Sad
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, fredy552, Diprs2 and 4 others
slimjiminy said:
For those who became incontinent, what was your path of discovery to see what works best for you?
Tried depend pull ups yikes isn’t lovely seeing your sofa soaked? Switched to depend diapers, then added plastic pants, now Bambino Bellisimo v2, no leaks!😀

• Sad
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, fredy552, Diprs2 and 2 others
I had to go to briefs there are times when I have small voids. Other times it will be a full void. I never really know.

• Sad
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, richieboy, Diprs2 and 1 other person
When I first started having problems again in senior year of highschool, I was at my now ex girlfriends house for a week. It was spring break, my parents were not home and I was a decent kid so they let me stay with her at her parents house. I got a uti that triggered incontinence which would end up lasting for4 months. While I was at here house her mom rushed out and bought me a pack of depends pull ups. For the week i went through 3 bags of them and had a leak at least once a day. I quickly learned how terrible the depends were for my needs. I also learned how annoying pull-ups are when you can’t easily pull your pants off.

After I got home from spring break I quickly started doing some research and landed on getting Tranquility ATTN. my mom ordered them and I used them until my incontinence faded for the time being.

5 years later and my incontinence came back and so far for good. I did try some much more absorbent and high quality pull-ups in the beginning but they never held enough, cost more and having to remove my pants fully was a deal breaker. Better Drys are my go too now.

Reactions: incontinente, Deleted member 39574, PadPhilosopher and 5 others
I started with pads first. They worked quite well for a while - how ever - when things get worse I had to look for a different solution because even the larger ones where leaking to often and bulk up to much. I never used pull-ups because in the beginning I had up to ten eposodes per day and need to change often. Meanwhile I have less episodes but if they happen I lose much more and pads doesn’t cope with gushes well. For a while I used diapers only if I’m out for work or on journeys. Meanwhile I wear them also at home because I lost the feeling for my bladder and voidings start often out of the blue and I often can’t stop them.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Neroforte, Edgewater and 2 others
when i was in 5th/6th grade little bit in 7th i wore goodnight everyday to school untill my fecal and urinary was to much 4 goodnights. I started to ware youth briefs for tranquilly tenna ect and racetrack diapers (before there scandal )
when i was a baby to older toddler pamper size 8 to pullups to goodnights now briefs i have never been continent ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2 and Edgewater
I have start with pads then briefs my ic became harder with time

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2 and Edgewater
i try gards onece they just leeked a lot

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and Neroforte
slimjiminy said:
Six years ago I started with guards then moved onto Tena Comfort pads until a catastrophic leak in front of strangers when the pad emerged from the bottom of my trouser leg. Moved onto pull ups then two years ago I was referred to the Continence Advisory Service at the hospital and now wear a pubic pressure urinal in the morning, a Tena Flex Maxi and plastic pants in the afternoon and a Tena Ultima nappy and plastic pants at night together with a large absorbent bed pad.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Neroforte, Edgewater and 1 other person
When i had my second "accident" i took some Tena Maxi Pads i had stored in my cellar, they were inherited from my father who died a year earlier due to prostate cancer. I was shocked how bad that felt and how much that leaked, i had fully trusted that thick pad.
I bought some pants next, what worked at least better and felt much more comfortable, but still leaked much to often even with the first wetting.
Next try were different kind of slips / diapers, but it took time until i found the right ones, i tried more that 15 different at least.
I got no help at all from my doctors and only little help from the insurance, so most information i gained from forums and the most helpful advice from ABDL sites, even i have no interest in that at all. But i soon found out, my kind of incontinence is not that common and more like the people letting go "for fun", so they knew and know best. It is simply like that.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater, Constantlydamp and 1 other person
Pull-ups first, briefs (4 tape) next, followed by cloth contours, then cloth prefolds. Occasionally I revert back to step 2 (with Abena Abri-Form M-4s) when the logistics of cloth diapers just isn’t practical. I began wearing plastic pants almost immediately, even over the pull-ups, as a “belt and suspenders” approach to preventing leaks.

My first attempt at solving the problem with wet pants were some baby diapers my girlfriend at the time bought for me. She was trying to be helpful but man did that sting the pride...

Fearful of "baby diapers" but recognizing the message my girlfriend was passing along ("You need to do something about this"), I used Depend Undergarments - Remember those funky things with belts that leaked like a sieve, were uncomfortable to wear and wouldn't stay put? After that epic fail, I went to tabbed diapers 'cause pull-ups weren't readily available yet. There were Attends or Depends briefs and pretty much nothing else. I was very excited when the first cloth-backed pullups came out and in there somewhere depends guards for men first became a thing.

To this day I still use a variety of pull-ups, cloth diapers, guards (basically only for running), and taped diapers... So I guess I never arrived.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Neroforte, Edgewater and 1 other person
1994, my undiagnosed neuromuscular genetic disorder reared its ugly head, causing retention for 16 hours, followed by incontinence. Wife ran and picked up some Depend briefs, as I was standing in the shower constantly dripping. Ended up in the Neuro ICU a short time later, and hospital provided junk briefs. When I got out of of the hospital six weeks later, my cousin had sent an institutional sized case of Attends briefs. I transitioned to cloth diapers and plastic pants about three months later for home, and Attends for leaving the house. My cousin kept the cases of Attends coming for several years, until I was able to work again and afford them myself.

Reactions: AshtonFreecss, PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
I started with depend briefs (tape up) ones in college back in 1998. They were alright but occasionally would leak and since I really couldn’t anything better. I stuck to those and store brand ones (assurance and CVS). Occasionally I would get the attends. Over the preceding years I mostly stuck to store brands until I found a medical supply store near my house that had attends. I switched to Attends, then Tena, back to attends, and finally I now wear Abena and Seni and won’t switch back

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Tried pull ups at first hat wasn't meeting my needs. Try store brand they was getting closer but not quite what I needed yet . Try some higher absorbing diapers that been working out great ! Seen some colored and printed ABDL diapers it made wearing more fun and enjoyable now !! 🥰

Reactions: craigd1341, PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and 2 others
Jus copied out of my former introduction post:

Since now about a year I'm facing a combined dribble- and urge incontinence. Of course I've been at the doctor with this, but organically everything is OK. We both agreed that - as long as I feel comfortable with my current situation, what I do, and as long as I do not feel a need to grab deeper into causes of my incontinence, I could also leave it as it is and accept it as an age-related issue, which I share in his experience with about 15-20% of my age group 60+. Also knowing, that the pills I have to take daily against high blood pressure which also led to a heart attack two years ago (repaired with a stent) having an effect to my continence and which my doc for no reason wants to change as my blood pressure and heartbeat is absolutely perfect now I decided as long as m condition stays as it is now to leave it as it is.

As long as I can remember I always had situations which caused a sudden pee urge. I t was never a big deal, simply hold in a few seconds, then the urge went away and everything was fine. About a half year ago it started that it was not so easy any more to hold in - a few drops, sometimes a little more came out before I could "catch" it. So, I started to use the toilet more often, and - very bad as I know now - reduced my liquid intake, which reduced the symptoms quite well. Anyway, a few weeks later I noticed that sometimes my pants - and jeans - were slightly damp or even wet. I took me a few days until I recognized that sometimes - not every day and not every time - I dribbled pee without noticing anything.
At that time during some hot late spring days, my wife asked my why the hell I did drink nearly nothing during the day and if I knew what I do with my body doing that - and I recognized that I was doing terribly wrong. So I took a heart and told her about my continence issues openly. She reacted very empathic and understanding, and - besides of course of a doctors visit - we agreed to handle the situation openly together. So I bought my first pack of Tena Pants and, now protected, started immediately to enhance my liquid intake back to a normal level. Unfortunately this also enhanced my urge continence, but I had no problem to accept this as I felt so much better now being well hydrated again.

The following time I started to try out different kinds and brands of protection. First the Pants were absolutely OK for me - comfortable no matter if dry or wet, and easy use of toilet if I had one available. But the capacity if no toilet available is not high and for changing to remove first your trousers, maybe even the shoes, underpants and then change the Tena and everything back again is not very practicable. So I switched to the Tena Flex system, which can be changed easIly and quick during the day if necessary and have a higher capacity combined with an easy use of toilet.

In the nights a different problem occurred. From bad childhood experiences I’m panicking for a wet bed. So in my Tena Pants I was sleeping quite bad and the slightest urge of pee caused me to wake up and make it to the toilet. This happened 5-6 times a night and I roughly never came to a deep sleep. So I decided to give „real“ diapers a try. First night I started sleeping better (knowing that a diaper does not leak so easy), but the getting up with the urge, still half sleeping going to the toilet, fiddling with the tapes while I already couldn’t hold any more was not the game changer. So - if the diaper anyway gets wet - why to get out of the bed at all? In the next nights I trained myself that if the urge came simply to roll on my back and let it flow. Meanwhile I don’t really wake fully up any more and after wetting within a few seconds I’m back to sleep.

So, now I’m comfortable with my situation and fully accept it. During the day I go through two Tena Flex Maxi, use still to the toilet if applicable and if not those have the capacity to take the wetting(s) without any problem. With appropriate clothing nobody can see anything that I’m wearing and I can live my normal life with all activities without any limitation. For the night I use one Tena Proskin Pant Maxi, which is also very comfortable and can handle all my nighty output without any leaking.
For the day use I switched a few months ago to the Attends Flex (10). In my opinion much, much softer (no matter if dry or wet) compared to Tena, and, although thinner, the capacity without leaking is higher!

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater, Soggy247 and 1 other person
hbic60 said:
Jus copied out of my former introduction post:

Since now about a year I'm facing a combined dribble- and urge incontinence. Of course I've been at the doctor with this, but organically everything is OK. We both agreed that - as long as I feel comfortable with my current situation, what I do, and as long as I do not feel a need to grab deeper into causes of my incontinence, I could also leave it as it is and accept it as an age-related issue, which I share in his experience with about 15-20% of my age group 60+. Also knowing, that the pills I have to take daily against high blood pressure which also led to a heart attack two years ago (repaired with a stent) having an effect to my continence and which my doc for no reason wants to change as my blood pressure and heartbeat is absolutely perfect now I decided as long as m condition stays as it is now to leave it as it is.

As long as I can remember I always had situations which caused a sudden pee urge. I t was never a big deal, simply hold in a few seconds, then the urge went away and everything was fine. About a half year ago it started that it was not so easy any more to hold in - a few drops, sometimes a little more came out before I could "catch" it. So, I started to use the toilet more often, and - very bad as I know now - reduced my liquid intake, which reduced the symptoms quite well. Anyway, a few weeks later I noticed that sometimes my pants - and jeans - were slightly damp or even wet. I took me a few days until I recognized that sometimes - not every day and not every time - I dribbled pee without noticing anything.
At that time during some hot late spring days, my wife asked my why the hell I did drink nearly nothing during the day and if I knew what I do with my body doing that - and I recognized that I was doing terribly wrong. So I took a heart and told her about my continence issues openly. She reacted very empathic and understanding, and - besides of course of a doctors visit - we agreed to handle the situation openly together. So I bought my first pack of Tena Pants and, now protected, started immediately to enhance my liquid intake back to a normal level. Unfortunately this also enhanced my urge continence, but I had no problem to accept this as I felt so much better now being well hydrated again.

The following time I started to try out different kinds and brands of protection. First the Pants were absolutely OK for me - comfortable no matter if dry or wet, and easy use of toilet if I had one available. But the capacity if no toilet available is not high and for changing to remove first your trousers, maybe even the shoes, underpants and then change the Tena and everything back again is not very practicable. So I switched to the Tena Flex system, which can be changed easIly and quick during the day if necessary and have a higher capacity combined with an easy use of toilet.

In the nights a different problem occurred. From bad childhood experiences I’m panicking for a wet bed. So in my Tena Pants I was sleeping quite bad and the slightest urge of pee caused me to wake up and make it to the toilet. This happened 5-6 times a night and I roughly never came to a deep sleep. So I decided to give „real“ diapers a try. First night I started sleeping better (knowing that a diaper does not leak so easy), but the getting up with the urge, still half sleeping going to the toilet, fiddling with the tapes while I already couldn’t hold any more was not the game changer. So - if the diaper anyway gets wet - why to get out of the bed at all? In the next nights I trained myself that if the urge came simply to roll on my back and let it flow. Meanwhile I don’t really wake fully up any more and after wetting within a few seconds I’m back to sleep.

So, now I’m comfortable with my situation and fully accept it. During the day I go through two Tena Flex Maxi, use still to the toilet if applicable and if not those have the capacity to take the wetting(s) without any problem. With appropriate clothing nobody can see anything that I’m wearing and I can live my normal life with all activities without any limitation. For the night I use one Tena Proskin Pant Maxi, which is also very comfortable and can handle all my nighty output without any leaking.
For the day use I switched a few months ago to the Attends Flex (10). In my opinion much, much softer (no matter if dry or wet) compared to Tena, and, although thinner, the capacity without leaking is higher!
we have very similar symptoms, mine caused by an enlarged prostate and type 2 diabetes. A real game changer was when a nurse from the hospital came home and fitted an absorbent washable bed pad to my bed and now there are no more worried about leaks from my nappy.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Deleted member 64479 and Edgewater
I'm Urinary IC from severe spinal stenosis both cervical and Lumbar from psoriatic arthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis I started with pull-ups than went to adult diaper briefs I tried cloth backed they leaked to much then I went to plastic backed, I've tried several types comfy dry was OK but can't find them anymore I went with Better Dry they remind me of the all white pampers when I was a child with a bedwetter problem their my go to adult diaper but to find them in xl size is a challenge probably supply chain problems their the only ones that fit pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and Constantlydamp
Straight to nappies or large shaped pads held in place by net fixing pants. This was over ten years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Constantlydamp and Edgewater
Back