Foodie Group reloaded.

egor said:
It is Sweeter then Elk!!!!
CAMEL AND ELK?!? Sounds like you must shop at the Bronx Zoo Butcher!!!

CLPP said:
CAMEL AND ELK?!? Sounds like you must shop at the Bronx Zoo Butcher!!!
No just live in the northwest.

The elk patties I get at the local butcher. They also have alligator that I love to cook in a sweet and pungent Asian sauce.

The venison I get at the "grocery outlet store"

The camel I got at a local produce and butcher store, but they discontinued the Camel burger and a few times they had Rattle snake but have not sold that for some time. The big issue was they had it in a 5 lb lot, but finally cut it up into 1 lb packages and they never got it again.

Still trying to get some Moose meat, but those hunters are stingy because its a 10 year cycle on the hunting permits.

Made an excellent Pho last night. I fixed Shellfish for Valentines day, so I saved the juice from steamed clams and shrimp, The juice from baked oysters and the liquid form butter fried scallops. I have a recipe for this in back post.

So anyway I boiled salmon back bones from a fish I fillet in part of the Fish Juice with garlic, Shallots and lemon Grass. Then is the rest of the juice and the reduced juice from the salmon bones, I started adding the vegetables by hardness i.e carrots and garlic then celery, diced sweet peppers, mushrooms and sugar snap peas, then the leftover shrimp, clams and scallops and the meat from the salmon bones. The only spice I added was from the two packages of Koyo Ramen Noodles.

With rice vermicelli and roman noodles it was so good and so filling.

I bought a mushroom kit a few weeks back. I did not water it as faithfully as I have in the past. To a point that I forgot to water it for several days. To my surprise I got one of the best crops ever.

So last night I made a simple cream of mushroom soup.

Reactions: BBBen and ianwee
Nice. Home-made mushroom soup is great, and I'm sure it's even better if you have grown your own 'shrooms too.

SO the chicken did not thaw all the way last night so I had to postpone The Moroccan Chicken with carrots, dates and yogurt for dinner tonight. Along with a Pomegranate couscous. SO GOOD

I could not find it in my first look the other day, but I do think the Pho recipe that I use was posted a couple of years back.

Any way. I started out his morning making the base for a chicken Pho for dinner tonight. It came out so good.

Tamale Pie.

Saw an article with recipe in the local paper and made it last night, with my twist to it.

Turned out real good.

Skillet tamale pie.

1 stick of butter
1 medium onion diced
1 large plabano chili diced
3 cloves of garlic diced (I like garlic so I had 8 cloves)
2 tbs. chili powder (I used home made chili powder)
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. ground sirloin (I used 1 package of chirizo sausage)
1 can black beans drained
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 jar of tomato base (this is home made, but the recipe in the paper called for 8 oz of tomato sauce)
1 cup of chicken broth (now because the tomato base is so thick I used a whole can of chicken stock)
2 cups shredded cheese
1 cup corn meal
1 cup flour
3 tbs. sugar (I used honey)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup butter milk.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a large oven safe skillet heat the butter, then add the green chili and saute until soft. Then transfer to a mixing bowl for cornbread topping.
Add onions to the pan and still until soft, then add garlic and chili powder and salt and pepper (start small and adjust salt and pepper later)
Stir for a few seconds to mix then add meat to brown.

Meanwhile in a separate bowl start sifting and adding dry ingredients for corn bread , flour, corn meal baking powder and baking soda.
The way I do it and it comes out better IMO, is to place the sifter on a small plate and add the dry ingredients. Then sift the dry stuff into the bowl with the chilis and butter. Now add sugar, eggs, sour cream, butter milk and 1 cup of cheese and stir, Set a side to rest.

While I was working on the cornbread I occasionally stirred and worked at breaking up the meat. Once it looks fairly well cooked then I added the beans, corn, tomato base and chicken stock. Brought that to a boil and tested for salt and pepper needs.

Once the base had cooked for about 5 minutes and reduced a little (Should have placed it on the cookie sheet then but I dealt with the mess afterwords but did place it on a cookie sheet to prevent overflow in the oven) remove the pan form the heat and fold in a cup of cheese. Then pour the Corn bread dough over the top of the meat and bean mixture and attempt to smooth the topping out to the edge. Don't worry about getting everything covered it will spread out during cooking.

Carefully move pan into heated oven and cook for 20 minutes.

IT was so good I did go back for seconds.

I made the best pot of fisherman's stew last night. The problem is I do not know if I can ever make it again. It was an add and taste tomato stew with muscles, shrimp, catfish and halibut.

Back