Flying and TSA

jasonm03

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Has anyone flown out of BWI or LAX before I’m flying from BWI to LAX in June and want to know how the TSA agents treat diapered incontinent people. Should I try to go through w/o a diaper on or with one on, I’m flying at 0630. I haven’t flown since 2010 and don’t know what to expect

I flew into, then out of LAX a couple months ago. Not anything particularly different from any other intra-continental experience at any other US airport. I always try to go through the scanners in a dry diaper, but once I had a small accident in the security line, and it still wasn’t a problem.

The only time I had a problem is when I connected through the UK on a US->EU flight, and they wanted a secondary security check. I had already been flying for 7 hours and had wet myself a few times, the scanner picked up something right in my crotch (and showed it yellow on the display! Lol!), so the security guard stuck his hands down my pants and got an unpleasant surprise. He said nothing and waved me on.

So yeah, just stay dry and you should be fine.

BWI has one real big advantage. They have bathrooms in the terminal with adult-sized motorized tables.

I've worn diapers countless time through screening, both the WTMD and the nude-o-vision. I make sure they're clean first. It's never been an issue. I've got randomly subjected to the secondary screen a few times and got groped but if they detected the diaper, they never let on.

Last edited:
Its hit or miss... when we went to Florida I wound up getting a secondary screening at the airport here, in Orlando coming back it was fine, I was wearing a dry diaper each time...

I'd highly recommend making sure you change if wet before going through security and maybe reduce your fluid intake within the hours before (at least in terms of caffeinated beverages, etc.) to stay dry. Just keep in mind that security personnel are well-trained and have probably come across people with these issues before, and when it comes down to it you probably won't see them ever again and it is their job to keep things discrete. If you do get an awkward run-in for some reason they'd probably be just as embarrassed as you about it and wouldn't bother you about it. I'd definitely recommend against trying to make it through without a diaper on if you need them as a leak would be so much worse to deal with

Topex said:
I'd highly recommend making sure you change if wet before going through security and maybe reduce your fluid intake within the hours before (at least in terms of caffeinated beverages, etc.) to stay dry. Just keep in mind that security personnel are well-trained and have probably come across people with these issues before, and when it comes down to it you probably won't see them ever again and it is their job to keep things discrete. If you do get an awkward run-in for some reason they'd probably be just as embarrassed as you about it and wouldn't bother you about it. I'd definitely recommend against trying to make it through without a diaper on if you need them as a leak would be so much worse to deal with
Staying overnight in park and ride hotel near airport driving from PA so not a problem

Last edited:
recently flown out of Orlando airport ,I changed into dry pull up before going through security x-ray //body scanner then pat down still but then done on way .

I'm a bit at a bind here, as I require assistance at the airport I always have a Meet&Assist arranged, but they usually pick a bunch of people in one go, which means we all pass through security at once, there is no time to wait for someone to change before passing through security.
Which means I will end up having a medium wetness when going through the metal detector.
(I refuse x-ray because my CGM and pump will get damaged from those)
I'm worried this might cause problems though.

I did intend to change after security because they drop us off at the seats near our gate and then I have plenty of time to go change.

If you're going through the metal detector you have nothing to worry about, only the full body scanner can sometimes pickup wetness.

I had no problem at LAX last year and by the time I got of the plane I was quite wet. Nothing was said as I went through the scanner.

eastcoastdl said:
If you're going through the metal detector you have nothing to worry about, only the full body scanner can sometimes pickup wetness.

That's a relief :) It's just those cases where they don't use the metal detector and want us to go through the full body scanner that I must ask for a manual pat down. (In Frankfurt airport they did not respect this and then insisted I went through metal detector instead)
When having a pat down they will feel the diaper for sure, on some websites from airlines they mention showing a note from doctor to TSA but my doctor seriously does not see the need to do that as there is usually no paper written for diapers, only for medication or medical devices such as my insulin pump.

In the US there are no passenger x-rays. All of the full body scanners in the US are millimeter wave AIT devices. The Walk-Thru metal detectors are magnetometers. Neither will cause any issues with your pump/CBG monitor. Both my son and his girlfriend have them and it's never been a problem. Even if you are overseas and find a low-energy backscatter X-ray, it's not likely to have any effect on your stuff.

Print that out and just put "Incontinence" on it. I carry it in my pocket as I go through (was in San Diego this morning). If I get called to go through the MM Wavelength machine it always catches my diaper. They usually ask me if I have anything in my pockets. I reach in and grab that, hand it to them and tell them if they need further we can do it in private. It is about 50/50 on where go from there. Some will hand it back, pat me down and tell me to move on. Others, usually less trained, call for a supervisor and we go to the private room. There they will aggressively feel you and may ask you to remove your pants and show them. Some will even reach into my diaper and swab to test for explosives. This is pretty rare though. Today was like most - I just walked right through and no one said anything.

willnotwill said:
In the US there are no passenger x-rays. All of the full body scanners in the US are millimeter wave AIT devices. The Walk-Thru metal detectors are magnetometers. Neither will cause any issues with your pump/CBG monitor. Both my son and his girlfriend have them and it's never been a problem. Even if you are overseas and find a low-energy backscatter X-ray, it's not likely to have any effect on your stuff.

Strange though as Dexcom even warns for this, and I asked my hospital about the full body scanners, but I cannot say for sure thay they knew 100% what they were talking about, they lack technological knowledge unfortunatly.
Dexcom now updated their info to this:
But I still have the G4, it could be it's just a precaution they tell people to avoid it.
What I do know for sure is that when I went in for a x-ray scan when they wanted to see contrast fluid in my bladder and urethra I had to remove the dexcom, which means it was end of life , but they gave me a replacement there before i went home.
In Europe they use this body scanners more often, twice I saw one being used and once I saw one not being used.

I have walked through security and I have been searched with a wet diaper. The TSA agents have always been courteous. When they tell me to stand aside for a check I tell them I am wearing a diaper. They pat me with the back of their hand. Seconds later I am on my way. No big deal.

joemama said:
Print that out and just put "Incontinence" on it. I carry it in my pocket as I go through (was in San Diego this morning). If I get called to go through the MM Wavelength machine it always catches my diaper. They usually ask me if I have anything in my pockets. I reach in and grab that, hand it to them and tell them if they need further we can do it in private. It is about 50/50 on where go from there. Some will hand it back, pat me down and tell me to move on. Others, usually less trained, call for a supervisor and we go to the private room. There they will aggressively feel you and may ask you to remove your pants and show them. Some will even reach into my diaper and swab to test for explosives. This is pretty rare though. Today was like most - I just walked right through and no one said anything.

Thanks! Didn't know about the disability/medical card. Great idea! I've been through TSA multiple times in a diaper, and never had a problem, but there is always that "first time." The biggest issue I've had so far is, once I got through screening my pants slid down before I could get to my belt and put it back on! So there I stood, in front of the gray bins with my pants at my knees, frantically trying to pull them back up while trying to walk and find the bin with my belt. On a good note, everyone else was in such a hurry to get through, I'm not sure anyone really noticed what I was wearing. Even my wife didn't realize what was going on! One of the perils of wearing larger than normal pants/shorts.

while that card is definitly usefull I doubt it is valid in european airports as it mentions only american phone numbers and information.

I have flown a number of times while diapered. TSA has been professional every time, and I have only had one secondary check. The gentleman asked if I was wearing any extra padding, and then I was able to move on.

Keeping dry, if possible is the best course of action. I was needing a change, and was planning on doing it once I got to my gate. Everything was fine. I will say that when I pack diapers in my luggage that I ALWAYS have the notice inside when I get there that my luggage had been searched. I'm sure it looks very interesting on the scanners. Pleasant surprise for them as I like to pack Rearz Safaris and other fun, printed diapers.

Back