Finding the right level of protection for daytime use

For me the first thing was to find a product that could cope with my actual wetting, which was more of a flood than a constant dribble. And then to also manage when wet until I was able to change. Initially my problems were at night and so I needed protection that would deal with my bed wetting as I would not wake up at all. For me that was adult nappies and in particular I found the Tena Slip products the best and was supplied these by the NHS (in the UK). As my bladder problems worsened I tried pull ups but they could not contain my level of wetting so it was adult nappies night and day. I have been wearing/using the Tena Slip Maxi Active fit nappies for years now and have found them the best to manage my IC. I don’t have any feeling of needing to wee, so the first I know is when i can feel my nappy is getting wet. I check how wet I am and find I need to change every 4 hours or so though sometimes my nappy will last longer and sometimes as little as a couple of hours. But the important thing is to change regularly to avoid leaks and soreness/nappy rash. Whilst it can be tempting to find a nappy you can wear all day I would not advise wearing a wet nappy for that long as it would cause problems. So you also need to consider how easy it is for you to change a wet nappy and carry changes with you. I hope that helps.

Reactions: Napincolove, 247 and SoggyPanties
247 said:
Couldn’t agree more, continually fine tuning strategies taking into account time of day, likely duration between changes, activity and fitting of clothes I want to wear for the social situation, accounting for international travel and staying with friends & family. 🙈

Honestly, I think everyone here could put pen to paper and produce a work comparable to “War and Peace” on the topic.😂

The continence Nurses are great, they provide me with a good standard of protection which I then supplement with my own purchases to cover my needs.

In brief:

I don’t always want to dress in loose baggy drab fitting clothing with a one solution fits all approach.

When wearing stylish tight fitting jeans in a social situation where I need to be discrete I wear a Tena Comfort Pad inside a full brief and ensure I have a change at hand and change straight away. I can only do this with supplies at hand and accessible facilities to change. Generally an afternoon/evening event, wouldn’t attempt in the morning when freshly hydrated.

Then, my go-to protection is Tena Active Fit Maxi Slip supplied by my Continence team. These work great, as discrete as they can be with the absorbency and plastic backing to meet my average needs.

I’ll then supplement as required with plastic pants when either i’m active for extended periods of time and there’s a risk the padding may split straight down the back or I want to protect my clothing from pin hole leaks and subsequent odour.

Then, if I think I need to cater for extended period or perhaps the unexpected I’ll upgrade to Tena Active Fit Ultima. These are slightly wider in the core and provide the necessary protection.

As a final solution I’ll opt for BetterDry / Sunkiss Masterpiece / MegaMax / STR8UP when flying or planning for maximum extended duration protection.

For me my Go-To’s are:

Tena Comfort Super
Tena Active Fit Maxi
Tena Active Fit Ultima

Where do you buy the Tena Active Fit Ultima? I have some in size large, but when I went to buy more it loves like they only make them in medium now.

DL232 said:
Where do you buy the Tena Active Fit Ultima? I have some in size large, but when I went to buy more it loves like they only make them in medium now.

I’m in the UK and all of the regular incontinence suppliers have the Tena Slip Active Fit Ultima Large IN STOCK.
e.g.
- Incontinence Shop
- Incontinence Choice
- AgeUK
- EasyCareSolutions
………
more

Sorry, cannot advise availability in US/Canada, perhaps somebody else could pitch in from over the Atlantic.

Think it highly unlikely they would discontinue in a specific size.

you are correct this is not an easy task. there are so many different style diapers out there, which is an amazing thing. you have options. i personally keep a variety of different style diapers and pullups on hand. different diapers go with different situations and activities. for example: the gym i prefer a standard pullup it works well and it is a short time period. heavy activity like hiking very physical i prefer a thinner lite weight diaper to allow for more freedom of movement. add on a onesies comes in handy with heavy activity. With a movie/theatre i need a thicker heavy duty premium diaper. general rule here is don't go with maxing out a diaper to it's limit. many of the diapers on the market are made for extended wear periods but a full diaper is uncomfortable and it is very bad for your skin to stay in a wet and/or dirty diaper for long periods, so change whenever possible. i don't know of any work environments that doesn't allow for bathroom breaks (change break in our case). before purchasing a pack or case get samples to try various diapers out. you wear different clothes for different things so the same goes with diapers. there isn't a one size fits all. test out diapers at home and small errands before relying on them at work or something important. plan ahead your day and activities and always maintain a well stocked diaper bag/backpack with you close by when out and about. be prepared with the knowledge no matter how well you are prepared and how good the diaper is leaks will happen at times.

Reactions: SoggyPanties
My own trial and error testing has led me to Tranquility product for daytime. Their pullups are ok, but if a large void sneeks up on me, the have leaked a bit if I'm not standing. I like their slimline and ATN's. They're both plastic backed and can comfortably hold one and depending on amount, two wettings. I do wear a pair of regular underwear over them, keeps things in place, prevents sagging as well. Another pull up I like is the Northshore Go supreme. I do find they sag a little when wet so I wear regular undies over them too. Nights? I stick with the old faithful... Megamax or Forsite.

SoggyPanties said:
Thanks so much for the great advice.

I have been sampling a wide assortment of products from primarily Tena and Abena, since they are the brands being most accessible locally. I have found that they both have excellent customer support when I called them to ask questions and get advice on how best to use their different product lines.
I'm using different products for different days especially with working. Can have very bad days and very good days.

Reactions: SoggyPanties
Back