Finding the right level of protection for daytime use

SoggyPanties

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Inspired by the resent discussion about how best to hide a diaper bulge I would like the ask the question to all of you, knowledgeable people:

How to find the right level of protection for U-IC daytime use?

Being somewhat new to all this, I still struggle finding the right level of protection specially for daytime use. I quickly learned that it is not as simple as it seems – at first, I thought it was just a matter of finding “The right product” and then stick to it. After sampling a lot of different products, I have found some favorites to be used in different situations, but not yet “The right product”.

I quickly learned, that some days my U-IC is worse than others. Also, the planned activities for the day and the season (weather) plays a role – so I find it complicated. Going to the office vs. working from home also present different possibilities and challenges.

I have discussed this at length with different continence nurses and their advice is unanimously to change frequently and only use enough protection to last until the next diaper change. This is very sound advice, but my problem is that I am not able to change at set intervals all the time due to fluctuating commitments to family and work.

Reading some of the threads here on ADISC would suggest just to wear the thickest diaper you can buy all the time so it would last a whole day, but that is not a viable solution for me for several reasons: Fear of UTI and other infections, more rashes and skin problems, difficult hiding under my work clothes etc. Overprotection also causes more waste being generated, environmental impact, and higher cost.

Per advice from the continence nurses, I have also tried to reduce the level of protection and use a Pull-up or a big incontinence pad instead of a diaper, but that have led to several occasions where the product leaked, so I don’t think that is a viable solution either. Adding a pair of plastic pants on top mitigated some of the leaks, but didn’t solve the issue with the products having too little capacity to hold enough fluids.

So, how do you all, with years of experience, handle this?

Reactions: Diprs2, Neroforte, EcoIncon and 3 others
One option might be to use a good "base" product, and add boosters as needed to adjust the absorbency. If a diaper can usually handle 4 hours worth of output, that might be a good baseline; then, if the situation requires a longer wear time, or if changing the diaper is likely to be problematic, you can add boosters that can stretch the wear time, and even allow you to change a wet booster for a dry one without changing the whole diaper.

Any way you go, though, you will probably need an assortment of products to account for all situations.

Much depends on the specifics of your incontinence. For years, my problem has been unpredictable large accidents that might only hashish a couple of times a week, so I chose a diaper that can handle a large void and is very resistant to clumping when I wear it for 18 hours on days when I don't have an accident. Lately, though, I've been having smaller but more frequent accidents, which is requiring me to change a couple of times most days. This is leading me to look at solutions that are less expensive, don't have the kind of anti-clumpung performance that my current diapers have, but can still absorb at least a single large void and another smaller one. Different problems call for different solutions, and you need to think about how your incontinence goes and what sorts of products will handle that.

Reactions: Jonnythepony, Deleted member 59603, Pino and 2 others
Well, Welcome to the Wonderful and Changing, DayTime World of IC!

There is no question that night-time use is the easy one as ones target is just Maximum Absorbance winners. Yes, there is a few other important features, but the basic target is just that easy. Daytime is a nightmare as the number of factors that come into play is huge!! I have long used and recommended a Journal as I cannot understate how important it is to understand the variations one will find during any given day/week. The combination of liquid intake and general activity level changes near daily, if not hourly. There is no question that it can get complicated quickly. As a result, a statement like, plan for the worst and celebrate a lighter release applies.

In the US, I am very happy and lucky to have NorthShore diapers, located in North Chicago, IL to support my incontinent needs. You will need to find a like group in Europe /England as the cost of import taxes causes NorthShore to be cost prohibitive. That said, once you find a supplier that has a premium /quality line of products you can work with them to select different products that target your needs, which clearly differs between day and night. Since, I am retired what I use is vastly different from what you should consider.

I have for a very longtime not recommended pull-ups as they had over the years had such terrible issues including leaking. Today, I find that folks like NorthShore and likely other Premium Suppliers have seriously upgraded the Pull-up's in their product offering by bringing the features they have in their Premium Adult Diaper line into their Pull-up offering. Now, I have issues regarding hip mobility and putting on a pull-up for me is a nightmare.

Find a supplier that have the variation in product and staff that you can speak to regarding your specific needs and test their recommendations! Since you can with ease look at the NorthShore diaper website take the time to review their wide offering and the features that are commonly found in their product offering. Most suppliers list their product from highest capacity (hours worn) to lower levels.

DIAPER COVERS (plastic Pants): I strongly recommend that they are used with all IC Products as "All Diapers Leak" and commonly at the worst possible moment! I like NorthShore's Trifecta Diaper Cover as it is a blended product with a PUL interior, a waterproof exterior and comfortable openings! The why is that the PUL interior will lock-in small amounts of urine, which greatly reduces the likelihood of an wet spot on your clothing.

Target starting your Journal as it will surprise you just how much it will help in the selection of the correct products for your specific needs.

Sorry ltaluv, as we had posted very near the same time!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Neroforte, Lethdale, JeriHfoley18 and 2 others
Thanks so much for the great advice.

I have been sampling a wide assortment of products from primarily Tena and Abena, since they are the brands being most accessible locally. I have found that they both have excellent customer support when I called them to ask questions and get advice on how best to use their different product lines.

Reactions: Neroforte and Edgewater
It was definitely trial and error for me, but once I found a product that I liked, I got a variety of absorbencies that handle the variety of fluid intake that I can have. Some days, I can get away with less absorbency when my fluid intake is lower. Other days, I’ll go with higher absorbency if I’m thirsty.

It probably seems redundant to have 4 packs of the same diaper that only vary by absorbency, but I’ve found that to work best for my needs. Some mornings I need a higher level if I’ve had a second cup of coffee, and some evenings I can get away with a minimum level of absorbency as I won’t drink as much. Really depends on what triggers my incontinence and how much of the triggers have been in my diet. Blood sugar spikes result in higher urine output, so knowing what my numbers are helps predict my diaper selection. Took a few years to get in tune with how my body works. There’s definitely an element of planning to consider with incontinence, but after some studying of how my body responds to fluid intake and my specific triggers, I can usually select the needed absorbency in the diapers I’ll need for the day and not have to worry about a leak.

Wish you the best in managing your incontinence.

Reactions: SoggyPanties and Edgewater
sledder23 said:
Took a few years to get in tune with how my body works.
Thanks for your valuable input – relieved to hear that I am not the only one who have experienced that it can take a very long time to get everything “dialed in”.

A while ago I (foolishly) thought I had found the products that could cover my daily needs when life threw another spanner in the works. Back to the drawing board and some more trials and errors.

It sometimes seems like a never-ending quest finding what level and type of protection, that works best in our everchanging lives.

• Love
Reactions: Neroforte, EcoIncon and Edgewater
SoggyPanties said:
Thanks for your valuable input – relieved to hear that I am not the only one who have experienced that it can take a very long time to get everything “dialed in”.

A while ago I (foolishly) thought I had found the products that could cover my daily needs when life threw another spanner in the works. Back to the drawing board and some more trials and errors.

It sometimes seems like a never-ending quest finding what level and type of protection, that works best in our everchanging lives.
It's a continuing quest to be sure. I can confirm this after many years of managing bladder incontinence.

Reactions: Edgewater and SoggyPanties
SoggyPanties said:

Couldn’t agree more, continually fine tuning strategies taking into account time of day, likely duration between changes, activity and fitting of clothes I want to wear for the social situation, accounting for international travel and staying with friends & family. 🙈

Honestly, I think everyone here could put pen to paper and produce a work comparable to “War and Peace” on the topic.😂

The continence Nurses are great, they provide me with a good standard of protection which I then supplement with my own purchases to cover my needs.

In brief:

I don’t always want to dress in loose baggy drab fitting clothing with a one solution fits all approach.

When wearing stylish tight fitting jeans in a social situation where I need to be discrete I wear a Tena Comfort Pad inside a full brief and ensure I have a change at hand and change straight away. I can only do this with supplies at hand and accessible facilities to change. Generally an afternoon/evening event, wouldn’t attempt in the morning when freshly hydrated.

Then, my go-to protection is Tena Active Fit Maxi Slip supplied by my Continence team. These work great, as discrete as they can be with the absorbency and plastic backing to meet my average needs.

I’ll then supplement as required with plastic pants when either i’m active for extended periods of time and there’s a risk the padding may split straight down the back or I want to protect my clothing from pin hole leaks and subsequent odour.

Then, if I think I need to cater for extended period or perhaps the unexpected I’ll upgrade to Tena Active Fit Ultima. These are slightly wider in the core and provide the necessary protection.

As a final solution I’ll opt for BetterDry / Sunkiss Masterpiece / MegaMax / STR8UP when flying or planning for maximum extended duration protection.

For me my Go-To’s are:

Tena Comfort Super
Tena Active Fit Maxi
Tena Active Fit Ultima

Hi, i am using a complete range on products, depending on my bladder behavior, Botox status, or planned activity.

I do use Attends Pull-Ons 8 for summer and or low risk situations and some doctors appointments, where i need to get naked easy.
My usual wear are Attends Active 8 (free over my insurance) and Active 10, they are able to hold one or two wettings in every position without leaking (most of the time). They are for my needs perfect for daytime use, very discrete, but able to hold some, even with tight cloth.
There are occasions this might not be enough and as a last resort i choose Molicare Premium Elastic 10, they are awesome and still more discrete as Betterdry and Megamax, which i do use either, but for night time or really bad days at home.

You need to test yourself through it. I personally tested about 50 to 100 different diapers, brands, sizes, capacity.

Yet alone to find out which one fits the best is some work, Megamax fitting me great, where other brands like Seni fit like trash on me.
Same for the sizes, one size is often to big, the next smaller one to small, even when my waist should fit easy. But simply does not.

It is learning by doing, took me at least one year to find out and i am still learning new stuff and still hoping to find the better product.
One problem is like you found your perfect fit and than the manufacturer changes it. Happens all the time.
So, good luck!

Last edited:
247 said:
Honestly, I think everyone here could put pen to paper and produce a work comparable to “War and Peace” on the topic.😂

The continence Nurses are great, they provide me with a good standard of protection which I then supplement with my own purchases to cover my needs.
Thanks very much for chiming in – it is a relief to know that I am not the only one struggling.

The continence nurses are great, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes I feel that their advice along the lines of “just use this product and you will be covered” doesn’t account for all the variables, that influence my U-IC and how best to deal with it. As a result, I have also bought other products to try out and supplement with.

Tena has a great range of products – I also use several products from the Tena Active Fit product line.

Reactions: EcoIncon
Pino said:
You need to test yourself through it. I personally tested about 50 to 100 different diapers, brands, sizes, capacity.
Wow, that is a lot :love:

Thanks for helping me put things into perspective. Seems like I have much more testing to do.

In the beginning after trying several different products, I lost track on how I liked a certain diaper and in which situations, it would be useful, so I started to include this information in my journal.

I have managed to get hold of a few different Attends products, Attends Flex 10 and Attends Slip Regular 8 and I quite like them, but I am not done testing them yet.

Reactions: Edgewater and Pino
SoggyPanties said:
Wow, that is a lot :love:

Thanks for helping me put things into perspective. Seems like I have much more testing to do.

In the beginning after trying several different products, I lost track on how I liked a certain diaper and in which situations, it would be useful, so I started to include this information in my journal.

I have managed to get hold of a few different Attends products, Attends Flex 10 and Attends Slip Regular 8 and I quite like them, but I am not done testing them yet.
I personally indeed did a special journal for it, writing everything in it, prices, fit, leaks, weighted maximum "intake" or realistic capacity.

SoggyPanties said:
Inspired by the resent discussion about how best to hide a diaper bulge I would like the ask the question to all of you, knowledgeable people:

Being somewhat new to all this, I still struggle finding the right level of protection specially for daytime use. I quickly learned that it is not as simple as it seems – at first, I thought it was just a matter of finding “The right product” and then stick to it. After sampling a lot of different products, I have found some favorites to be used in different situations, but not yet “The right product”.

I quickly learned, that some days my U-IC is worse than others. Also, the planned activities for the day and the season (weather) plays a role – so I find it complicated. Going to the office vs. working from home also present different possibilities and challenges.

I have discussed this at length with different continence nurses and their advice is unanimously to change frequently and only use enough protection to last until the next diaper change. This is very sound advice, but my problem is that I am not able to change at set intervals all the time due to fluctuating commitments to family and work.

Reading some of the threads here on ADISC would suggest just to wear the thickest diaper you can buy all the time so it would last a whole day, but that is not a viable solution for me for several reasons: Fear of UTI and other infections, more rashes and skin problems, difficult hiding under my work clothes etc. Overprotection also causes more waste being generated, environmental impact, and higher cost.

Per advice from the continence nurses, I have also tried to reduce the level of protection and use a Pull-up or a big incontinence pad instead of a diaper, but that have led to several occasions where the product leaked, so I don’t think that is a viable solution either. Adding a pair of plastic pants on top mitigated some of the leaks, but didn’t solve the issue with the products having too little capacity to hold enough fluids.

The one thing that I know for sure about this is you always want to have a bit too much capacity as opposed to almost enough capacity. I’d much rather have someone notice my diaper bulge rather than the evidence of my diaper failing to be absorbent enough to do its job as evidenced by wet spots in my jeans. Also, I’ve never regretted wearing plastic pants over my diapers, both for cloth diapers where they’re a no as well as for disposables where some folks consider them optional. They have saved my bacon on several occasions when I may not have paid as much attention as I should’ve to my first comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lethdale, Jonnythepony, Edgewater and 3 others
I struggled with this a lot too in the beginning. And I can tell you from experience I've tried both extremes for the diaper thickness issue.

At first, every single diaper seemed so thick, so noticeable I wore only the absolute thinnest diapers possible. I tried pull-up style first, but since i had to take my pants off for every change in a busy office bathroom, that was nixed quickly. Then I went with super thin tape ons, which maybe held two, maybe three wettings. I was happy they weren't noticeable, but my office kept asking why I brought my bag into the bathroom so often. And, since they weren't super reliable, if the bathroom was occupied too long when i needed to change, I was really risking leaking, which happened a few times. That caused a lot of stress.

After a year or two of that, I went completely the opposite way. The pandemic switched my client meetings from in-person to virtual. So I started wearing Northshore Megamax to work. It was nice because I knew there was just about no chance of leaking since it was admittedly overkill. It was nice not having to change a lot. But the bulge could start to get noticeable, especially towards the end of the day if I didn't change. Also, like you said, rashes and skin problems are more likely. So then I started changing at the same time every day, which resolved the bulge, but got expensive since I wasn't really using the megamax to its fullest or often even half absorbency.

Now I use a bit of a hybrid. I use a megamax in the morning, when my bladder is most active and then change into a megamax airlock lite for the rest of the day around lunch.

My basic point is this: its a balancing act between diaper bulge worries and leaks/change frequency. I've tried both extremes. Both have their strengths and drawbacks. And I feel like after about 5 years, I still haven't perfectly resolved it.

It will often depend on your daily routine. What works for me may be horrible for someone with a different office, job, or IC issue. I'd order samples, and try different ones in different situations. Maybe one diaper will work for you in every situation. Maybe a mix-and-match approach will be best.

It's all part of the "fun" we get to enjoy dealing with our IC.

SoggyPanties said:
Thanks very much for chiming in – it is a relief to know that I am not the only one struggling.

The continence nurses are great, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes I feel that their advice along the lines of “just use this product and you will be covered” doesn’t account for all the variables, that influence my U-IC and how best to deal with it. As a result, I have also bought other products to try out and supplement with.

Tena has a great range of products – I also use several products from the Tena Active Fit product line.
Yes, the only way to find out the right level of products is trying out; I agree, Tena (the European ones) have very valuable products. I started with the beginning of my UIC with Tena Pants Super, as I decided for heavier night time protection because I didn't want to get up with every urge I started with Tena Proskin Slip Super, later I switched to Proskin Slip Maxi. Nowadays I use mainly 3 different diapers for daytime use:

1. Tena Proskin Slip Maxi: with this one I usually start in the morning; I work from home office, often in long Teams meetings with customers or with colleagues discussing and solving issues, I cannot interrupt that several times over the working day for urgent sprints to the bathroom, I need a diaper I can rely on... and discreetness isn't an issue - although the Tena Slip Maxi is not too thick under jeans (1 or 2 sizes bigger)

2. If knowing to be out of house for a few hours, I use the Attends Flex (10) - a belt type diaper which is very discreet, enough capacity for 2-3 good wettings, allows quick access to the toilet if available and is very quick and easy to change even in a small public restroom.

3. Going out for max 3 to 4 hours, especially for my daily walk of around 6.5 Km or bicycling around 25 to 30 km (just for fitness) I prefer the Tena Flex Super belt type diaper - quite thin, holding around 1 1/2 wettings, but extremely comfortable for all kind of activities

All this after several products testing try and error - and always testing first in the security of home, where an accident isn't really an accident!

• Love
Reactions: Lethdale, Edgewater and SoggyPanties
hbic60 said:
If knowing to be out of house for a few hours, I use the Attends Flex (10) - a belt type diaper which is very discreet, enough capacity for 2-3 good wettings, allows quick access to the toilet if available and is very quick and easy to change even in a small public restroom.
Thanks @hbic60, you have already helped me more than you know.

I have been reading the forum on and off for some time but only recently had the energy / courage to start posting.

Thanks to one of your older posts where you mentioned that you liked belted diapers, I decided to give it a try and ordered a pack of Attends Flex 10.

I had (and still sometimes have) troubles getting a normal tape diaper to fit properly when changing standing up in a public bathroom. In these situations, I find a belted diaper much easier to fit. At home I prefer lying down while taping the diaper on.

Reactions: Pino and Edgewater
SoggyPanties said:
Thanks @hbic60, you have already helped me more than you know.

I have been reading the forum on and off for some time but only recently had the energy / courage to start posting.

Thanks to one of your older posts where you mentioned that you liked belted diapers, I decided to give it a try and ordered a pack of Attends Flex 10.

I had (and still sometimes have) troubles getting a normal tape diaper to fit properly when changing standing up in a public bathroom. In these situations, I find a belted diaper much easier to fit. At home I prefer lying down while taping the diaper on.
That's exactly what this forum is for: exchange and share our experiences with different products, but also share our thoughts and feelings. For me this forum also was a great support to get my life after my IC started sorted out well and find my way to accept and manage it properly. I'm happy if I could give you a little help!

Reactions: SoggyPanties, Edgewater and Lethdale
SoggyPanties said:

There is a post very similar to this one , I used some overalls too cover my self up , although it didn't stop someone actively asking if I was till wearing which by she has been staring at my ass.

In the ways of which ones to use , trial and error. Its a hard way to find it but I think it's the only way.

Reactions: Edgewater
@SoggyPanties there is no right or wrong way to approach this. Sharing stories and knowledge does help one to think about choices but, this board has a bias, and belong to it also, implies a bias. Whatever you seek, as you know, is what you wish to accept, or tolerate, whether absorbent pads/underwear/diapers, or surgery and medication, it is your choice. It is also perfectly acceptable to change that choice over time.

Regarding what others use during the daytime, it really hard to say use X, Y, or Z. There are too many factors to take into consideration. I would say that those with AB and DL tendencies have a greater tendency to recommend over-the-top solutions that have a strong emotional over physical traits. You yourself stated that advice from the continence nurse was to change regularly (3-4 hrs) for skin health. That's what I do though wetness is the dominant driver. No more than 3-4 when wet, longer when dry but, shorter based on what I am using.

I find it really helpful to set goals (expectations) and conveying them to your continence nurse and health providers in directing your care. In the US, solely based on my experiences, it seems there is a less of a focus on managing incontinence through catch and release than medications and surgery. Again, my view point, my bias, I don't see success as going from five pads (diapers) a day to 1 or 2. Nevertheless, it is considered a successful outcome to some and that is great for them.

Reactions: bdale, SoggyPanties and Edgewater
Everyone hates on Depend products but the men's "underwear" and night defense work well for me. My issue is mostly leaking but occasionally get urge incontinence too. I was pleasantly surprised how well the night defense held up after not being able to get to the bathroom for hours. It held multiple wettings with no leaks.

Back