Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatHiddenDL

There are, in fact, flamingos.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Here’s a fun topic. How do you guys deal with the excess material on disposable diapers? I’ve tried a lot of things but lately I’ve just been making a crease and folding down the top front and leaving the back alone. Personally, I’m very hot natured so the excess material bugs me during the hot summer months and I prefer a clean cut snug fit. Just curious to see if anyone has any ground breaking tips for this haha.

I use Betterdry disposables. I cut the front top 40mm off all of them, as you say they are a pain. I top tape across the top padded area and the unpadded area remaining.

Yeah this bugs me a lot in adult diapers. Why don't they cut it off during manufacturing process anyways?
Usually I cut a those parts at the top front, which above the tapes, and also those that stick out beneath the lower tapes. For me it's more or less enough and doesn't take much effort.

Currently trying my first Rearz Zafari and even that has loads of excess material in the wings.

If the diaper manufactures make the diaper a certain way its made that way for a reason. If you cut the diaper you are breaking the seal of the diaper and you are just asking for leaks or separation of the backing & the interior of the diaper. I truly do not get why people think they can mess with diapers and expect them to work correctly.

I just fold the excess round my legs in on itself and tuck the material between the tapes under the bottom tape. On really hot days I use Tena Slips instead of my usual Forma Care Comfort - the Tena has far less excess material.

If the diaper manufactures make the diaper a certain way its made that way for a reason. If you cut the diaper you are breaking the seal of the diaper and you are just asking for leaks or separation of the backing & the interior of the diaper. I truly do not get why people think they can mess with diapers and expect them to work correctly.

Then why are baby diapers do not have this excess material? Personally I think, that adult diaper manufacturers just don't bother on making them more comfy. Even those AB brands cut them under the same "stencils" as usual 'medical purpose' brands.

theoriginal said:
Then why are baby diapers do not have this excess material? Personally I think, that adult diaper manufacturers just don't bother on making them more comfy. Even those AB brands cut them under the same "stencils" as usual 'medical purpose' brands.

Items are made they way they are for a reason. You cannot wear the same clothes you did when you were a kid now right? no you would not fit into them. How I would not give to wear a Youth L shirt and pants again yet they was eeyons ago! Now I need a XX or XXXL shirt and a 44-48 inch pant. and a shoe size 13XW my gosh my clothing costs would be a whole lot less I tell ya. Thing is get over the fact you are wearing a diaper you cannot wear the thong undies anymore or your lowrise plumbers crack skinny jeans and or your half size shirts that only go to your belly button! wearing youth products as a adult if you can fit into them is not advisable since you are setting yourself up for failure. You may be able to ride on a youth cycle yet its not designed for you. You think you are doing yourself favors by making the diaper to your liking uh you are not. notice they do not make thong diapers they do not make low rise diapers for a reason for your protection and dignity! Wet diapers are far better than Wet pants a saying from a ADISC Legend ! How I wish that diaper manufactures would put a warning on the diaper itself altering this diaper in anyway voids any money back guarantees or altering diapers could be subject to enforcement actions.

xpluswearer said:

The material that we are referring to is quite literally nothing more that extra cloth or plastic backing at the tops of the diaper.

I’m going to carry on removing the excess at the top of the diaper. It does not change the characteristics of the diaper one iota. It makes for easier tape up, and better comfort.

xpluswearer said:
Items are made they way they are for a reason. You cannot wear the same clothes you did when you were a kid now right? no you would not fit into them. How I would not give to wear a Youth L shirt and pants again yet they was eeyons ago! Now I need a XX or XXXL shirt and a 44-48 inch pant. and a shoe size 13XW my gosh my clothing costs would be a whole lot less I tell ya. Thing is get over the fact you are wearing a diaper you cannot wear the thong undies anymore or your lowrise plumbers crack skinny jeans and or your half size shirts that only go to your belly button! wearing youth products as a adult if you can fit into them is not advisable since you are setting yourself up for failure. You may be able to ride on a youth cycle yet its not designed for you. You think you are doing yourself favors by making the diaper to your liking uh you are not. notice they do not make thong diapers they do not make low rise diapers for a reason for your protection and dignity! Wet diapers are far better than Wet pants a saying from a ADISC Legend ! How I wish that diaper manufactures would put a warning on the diaper itself altering this diaper in anyway voids any money back guarantees or altering diapers could be subject to enforcement actions.

I'm not trying to change them to be more 'babyish' or something. All I'm saying is that adult diapers do have a lot of excess parts in them, which in fact do not influence on leakage in any way, whether I remove them or not. It's just plastic parts that stick out of it for no reason, I'm not removing anything that is crucial in holding of fluids. If I buy a medium sized diaper I do not need those wings to be two times wider in order to fit much bigger person, and I don't need some material to stick out over my legs to do nothing (coz even if I get a leakage in that part, it wouldn't hold it). Tena for instance doesn't have so much of this excess parts and yet they doesn't leak at all and sits well. On the other hand, all other manufacturers diapers look on me like a garbage bag.

theoriginal said:
I'm not trying to change them to be more 'babyish' or something. All I'm saying is that adult diapers do have a lot of excess parts in them, which in fact do not influence on leakage in any way, whether I remove them or not. It's just plastic parts that stick out of it for no reason, I'm not removing anything that is crucial in holding of fluids. If I buy a medium sized diaper I do not need those wings to be two times wider in order to fit much bigger person, and I don't need some material to stick out over my legs to do nothing (coz even if I get a leakage in that part, it wouldn't hold it). Tena for instance doesn't have so much of this excess parts and yet they doesn't leak at all and sits well. On the other hand, all other manufacturers diapers look on me like a garbage bag.

Would be interesting to get the input of NorthShoreAdam & Jeremy from Diaperconn on here since they are 2 ADISC Members whom are in the Diaper business and make them too in regards to modifying their diapers.

xpluswearer said:

The reason some people have this problem of extra backsheet material on the top and bottom is because it's very expensive to make disposable diapers in more than a few sizes. To add more sizes in sewn garments is quite easy to do, but for disposable products it could cost millions of dollars to support an extra size including all the downtime on machines that cost $25MM to change sizes more often...which they desperately try to avoid.

With the given sizes, you need to have the length (aka height, aka rise) of the diaper be tall enough for the largest people that would use that size diaper...otherwise, for too many people, it will not come up tall enough in the rear to cover everything. It's a business decision as "too tall" for some is far better than "too short" for some. As you've seen, people can adjust if it's too tall...but can't adjust if it's too short.

There is a "Regular" size in some brands that is this purpose. It has the width of a large but the height of a medium. However, as companies have been investing in newer, faster, much more expensive machines, most have made the decision to cut the Regular size so they could keep the machines running more and reduce the changeovers.

Thank you Adam for your input on this thread and I appreciate everyone’s participation in this post!

I like the idea of cutting away the excess material, but it honestly does sound like a lot of prep work. I’ve been changing up the way I’ve been prefolding and adjusting the upper tapes higher to give a better “seal” and keep the folded material from rising up which seems to help a little, but I tend to have more of an issue with the back rather than the front of the diaper anyways. Perhaps I need to experiment with different brands too.

NorthShoreAdam said:
The reason some people have this problem of extra backsheet material on the top and bottom is because it's very expensive to make disposable diapers in more than a few sizes. To add more sizes in sewn garments is quite easy to do, but for disposable products it could cost millions of dollars to support an extra size including all the downtime on machines that cost $25MM to change sizes more often...which they desperately try to avoid.

With the given sizes, you need to have the length (aka height, aka rise) of the diaper be tall enough for the largest people that would use that size diaper...otherwise, for too many people, it will not come up tall enough in the rear to cover everything. It's a business decision as "too tall" for some is far better than "too short" for some. As you've seen, people can adjust if it's too tall...but can't adjust if it's too short.

There is a "Regular" size in some brands that is this purpose. It has the width of a large but the height of a medium. However, as companies have been investing in newer, faster, much more expensive machines, most have made the decision to cut the Regular size so they could keep the machines running more and reduce the changeovers.

Thank you Adam. Now as far as the customer cutting the diaper after purchase ? To me it breaks the seal of the diaper holding the back sheet & the absorbent material in place what is your professional opinion on this??? I think this would void any money back guarantees and voids any manufacturer guarantees would it?

xpluswearer said:
Thank you Adam. Now as far as the customer cutting the diaper after purchase ? To me it breaks the seal of the diaper holding the back sheet & the absorbent material in place what is your professional opinion on this??? I think this would void any money back guarantees and voids any manufacturer guarantees would it?

Yes, if you modify the diapers, it would be hard to complain if they don't work as expected. As far as cutting them backsheet...the effects would vary greatly depending on the type and design of the diaper. Some plastic backed diapers likely have the best chance of staying together ok. Some may start to have the layers peel apart if cut.

NorthShoreAdam said:
Yes, if you modify the diapers, it would be hard to complain if they don't work as expected. As far as cutting them backsheet...the effects would vary greatly depending on the type and design of the diaper. Some plastic backed diapers likely have the best chance of staying together ok. Some may start to have the layers peel apart if cut.
thanks our responses are getting crossed in the electronic mail stream LOL thanks for the manufacture retailer response on this clears up the issue perfectly .

- - - Updated - - -

FYI I know this because I had to help the Jr High school secretary cut up baby diapers to put in sandwich bags and fill part way with water and put them in the freezer to use for ice packs for injuries a cheap and easy alternative to getting first aid ice packs at more money the school did not have I remember having powder exiting the diaper as I cut it so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back