epic road trips?

landingxray

Est. Contributor
what are some amazing best of the best road trips in america?

Driving here sucks. The highways are always crowded, and there are a LOT of stupid drivers who don't bother following the rules (such as drive slow in the left lane, never use turn signals, drive while texting on their phone, lights off and hazards on in the rain, you name it). Our police are more worring about issuing speeding tickets to meet quotas, rather than make the road safe too.

I think the trip from Montrose, Colorado to Durango, Colorado on U.S. Hwy 550 over Red Mountain Pass between Ouray and Silverton is breath-taking. Red Mountain Pass is not the highest in elevation, but the scenery is amazing! Even though it is a U.S. highway, snow and avalanches in the wintertime can make it very difficult to drive (and sometimes the road is closed for brief periods of time) unless you are very experienced in winter mountain driving. I highly recommend the drive whenever you can get to that part of the country.

diaperbobby said:
I think the trip from Montrose, Colorado to Durango, Colorado on U.S. Hwy 550 over Red Mountain Pass between Ouray and Silverton is breath-taking. Red Mountain Pass is not the highest in elevation, but the scenery is amazing! Even though it is a U.S. highway, snow and avalanches in the wintertime can make it very difficult to drive (and sometimes the road is closed for brief periods of time) unless you are very experienced in winter mountain driving. I highly recommend the drive whenever you can get to that part of the country.
Im gonna do it

Historic Route 66. Driving through the Rocky Mountains and Yellowstone

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
One of my favorite drives is from Columbus to St. Louis. There isn't a whole lot going on, just tons of flat, green farmland. Another one I like is driving along the Gulf coast from Mobile to New Orleans. If you haven't been to New Hampshire or Rhode Island, they're pretty too

landingxray said:
what are some amazing best of the best road trips in america?

I took a trip from Massachusetts down to North Carolina. Hitting the Blue Ridge Mountains (around Mt. Jackson, Virginia) was quite the sight.

Reactions: nezquic66
JandesiGawdang said:
I took a trip from Massachusetts down to North Carolina. Hitting the Blue Ridge Mountains (around Mt. Jackson, Virginia) was quite the sight.
I went to college in NC, and Boone and Asheville are two of my favorite places to drive through and visit.

Oh man I love driving and being on the open road, I drive from south Florida to Marquette Michigan every year 3500 miles round trip lots of views and differences that slowly shifting as you drive vs fly just simply amazing

Last edited:
Due to the size the USA is amazing if you like mountains you have many choices of mountains if you like Lakes, deserts, City ect. I like just riding in any drection. Small town skiping.

I love a good road trip...when I have the time and opportunity. Last year, I was looking all over the Boise region for a Geo Metro to buy and restore...no chance. But by chance, I delved into Seattle's Craigslist last June and found a guy who had three '96ers, $500 each, running but needing work. I had a plane ticket within 30 minutes after talking to the guy, next morning I blasted out of Boise. An hour later...Seattle.

Got to the Metros, made my choice, loaded my tools, wheelchair and off we went! Took I-90 across the tall, deeply-grooved Cascades, got into the rangeland, drove through the Yakima River Canyon, tanked up (car and driver) in Yakima (52 mpg!), pressed through the ranges and hot, arid scrub on the I-82 into Oregon, east into Pendleton...then dropped into 4th and hot-rodded on all 3 cylinders up the twisty Cabbage Hill Pass, passing semis, clipping corners to keep 60 mph, then gave the car a cool-off at the rest stop up top...opened an orange Gatorade and admired the sunset view west.

From there: on the inky dark I-84 through Meacham, La Grande, darkness fell and we hit a grasshopper swarm...agh! Cleared the canyons and flats into Baker City, topped the tank (still 52 mpg!), slinked through another canyon and across prairie into Boise at about 2am (time zone change near Baker)...we made it back despite a slow coolant leak into #1 cylinder (the head gasket got replaced 3 days later)...and the little Metro happily sips, zips and zings through the Boise Metro area to this day.

"And that's what I did with my summer mini-vacation." #RoadTrip

Back