Environmental Impact

PDIAPER215

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I don't want to sound like a tree hugger,though I do love trees. Anyway, you ever think of the impact our fetish does to landfills? I've been wearing diapers for 42 yrs, probably 8000+- diapers. I know it's been spread out over the yrs, but still. Just something I was wondering about,as I sit here in a diaper to add to tomorrow's trash.

Reactions: AquaticDiapers, diapeybabybrian and EcoIncon
Yes, that is something I think about, and a part of the reason I wouldn't do 24/7, absent some physical need. That carries through pretty much the rest of my life: I'm very mindful of my energy use and there is no food waste around here.

Birds aren't tree-huggers, we perch in them 🐦 :D . There's a neat and interesting novel that has some lore about the relationship between birds and trees, "Raven's End" by Ben Gadd, one of my favorite books.

The environment loves textile. Disposables, can be recycled but nobody can make a profit, so it won't happen. Then for adults there is also the medical issue where using medication chemicaly polutes the disposables so recycling won't be allowed because its poluted.

PDIAPER215 said:
I don't want to sound like a tree hugger,though I do love trees. Anyway, you ever think of the impact our fetish does to landfills? I've been wearing diapers for 42 yrs, probably 8000+- diapers. I know it's been spread out over the yrs, but still. Just something I was wondering about,as I sit here in a diaper to add to tomorrow's trash.
I'm not into the fetish part of this... But have you ever considered using cloth diapers? The newer ones from companies like Ecoable and Threaded Armor are good enough to deal with about anything you throw at them, save money, and aren't as hard on the environment.

Reactions: diapeybabybrian and littleFeathers
EcoIncon said:
But have you ever considered using cloth diapers? The newer ones from companies like Ecoable and Threaded Armor are good enough to deal with about anything you throw at them, save money, and aren't as hard on the environment.
Ya know, I think I will check those out. .Thanks!

Reactions: EcoIncon
Been in diapers basically my whole life
at about 4 per day
over 55,000 diapers
do I think of the environment? absolutely
But can't do anything about it with my diapers. I need them to get through my day. Our city is talking about burning garbage to convert to electricity.
i recycle much as I can, as well as compost.
Try to offset some of my medical waste

Reactions: Jorelaxed and EcoIncon
Where I live in the UK, absolutely nothing goes to landfill. All of our waste goes to the waste transfer station. There, recyclables are directed to the local Materials Recovery Centre - MRF, this includes glass, paper, card, textiles, steel Aluminium etc. Much of this is highly automated, from sorting, to separating, cleaning and bundling and bailing for inward transshipment to the manufacturers to be re-used.

The remaining ‘general waste’ goes to the local Energy Recovery Centre - ERF. There the waste is incinerated at an extremely high temperature. The plant features an exceptionally stringent range of filtration systems within the process to ensure that virtually all of the pollutants and toxins are removed during the combustion process and the the pollution output from the main stack when the plant is working at full capacity is about the same as six modern petrol/gasoline powered cars idling. The intense heat generated is used to create high pressure steam in a very large multi-tube boiler, from where the high pressure steam is drawn off to power large turbines to produce electricity for the grid. Each plant (we have three in Hampshire) produces enough electricity to power approximately 21,000 homes. Additionally, waste hot water from the process is drawn off and used to heat local retail parks, industrial complexes and an office campus. Hot water is also diverted for use by commercial growers in huge glass houses at one of the plants.

At the end of the process, the waste has been reduced to around 10% of its original volume. This is almost entirely non-toxic, and around 90% of this ash is mixed with aggregate products and used in large civil engineering projects. The final 10% of the 10% which is harmless finally does go to landfill, but it is already fully degraded.

So, I can wet and enjoy my nappies knowing that the long-term environmental impact is not as bad as one would enjoy!

• Wow
Reactions: Jorelaxed, Teddy02, EcoIncon and 3 others
I've given a lot of thought to the environmental impact associated with my love for disposable plastic backed diapers.

🌎 Instead of drinking bottled water, I use quality Nalgene water bottles filled with spring water I bottle myself.

🌎 Instead of buying cheap plastic disposable cups, I use quality cups which don't break and will last a lifetime.

🌎 I never litter, and always recycle paper products, cans and bottles, etc. (Wheras most people throw them into the trash).

🌎 I've invested in Threaded Armor diapers, which are expensive up front, but the more you use them the more you save.

🌎 I use reusable underpads for my bed and my car seat and chairs, instead of using disposable underpads.

🌎 When i'm done eating, and I have some extra food left over, I throw it outside for animals to eat, instead of tossing it into the trash, reducing the weight of my garbage, which means less plastic garbage bags, and less fuel for garbage trucks to transport it.

🌎 When it snows, I hand shovel my driveway into sections as much as I can, instead of using the snow blower for 100% of the task.

🌎 When it's cold, I wear footy pajamas and a sweatshirt instead of cranking up the heat in my home.

🌎 I make my own coffee, instead of buying it and using a disposable cup with a plastic lid. (This also saves a lot of money.)

There are many little things you can do in your life which may seem insignificant, but if everyone does them they add up to a big difference.

• Love
Reactions: Kellycares, EcoIncon and littleFeathers
EcoIncon said:
I'm not into the fetish part of this... But have you ever considered using cloth diapers? The newer ones from companies like Ecoable and Threaded Armor are good enough to deal with about anything you throw at them, save money, and aren't as hard on the environment.
Still puts poop in water. And SO fun cleaning! Haha

PDIAPER215 said:
I cut out meat. Turns out it has a huge carbon and water footprint, and production results in a lot of deforestation. Something like fifteen percent of global emissions are directly related to animal agriculture, and it's the single biggest bad environmental thing most people do. Between that, switching my car for one that gets 35mpg, and a few other minor things, I've more than offset even 24/7 hogwild diaper usage, which I don't do either, haha. Seriously though, cutting out meat is the single best thing you can do to reduce your impact, even just for peace of mind it's good.

Reactions: PaddedCub
This is precisely why 3 year old Mommy only puts cloth diapers on me. Whether at home or going out.

I think about it a lot. I’m so sorry planet earth 😢
As bad as it is, it’s not going to stop me. Does that make me a bad guy? Maybe, I dunno. I’m sorry.

DLmikey said:
Where I live in the UK, absolutely nothing goes to landfill. All of our waste goes to the waste transfer station. There, recyclables are directed to the local Materials Recovery Centre - MRF, this includes glass, paper, card, textiles, steel Aluminium etc. Much of this is highly automated, from sorting, to separating, cleaning and bundling and bailing for inward transshipment to the manufacturers to be re-used.

The remaining ‘general waste’ goes to the local Energy Recovery Centre - ERF. There the waste is incinerated at an extremely high temperature. The plant features an exceptionally stringent range of filtration systems within the process to ensure that virtually all of the pollutants and toxins are removed during the combustion process and the the pollution output from the main stack when the plant is working at full capacity is about the same as six modern petrol/gasoline powered cars idling. The intense heat generated is used to create high pressure steam in a very large multi-tube boiler, from where the high pressure steam is drawn off to power large turbines to produce electricity for the grid. Each plant (we have three in Hampshire) produces enough electricity to power approximately 21,000 homes. Additionally, waste hot water from the process is drawn off and used to heat local retail parks, industrial complexes and an office campus. Hot water is also diverted for use by commercial growers in huge glass houses at one of the plants.

At the end of the process, the waste has been reduced to around 10% of its original volume. This is almost entirely non-toxic, and around 90% of this ash is mixed with aggregate products and used in large civil engineering projects. The final 10% of the 10% which is harmless finally does go to landfill, but it is already fully degraded.

So, I can wet and enjoy my nappies knowing that the long-term environmental impact is not as bad as one would enjoy!
Wasn’t much of the UK’s recycling plastic waste ending up in shipping containers in Southeast Asia and not be recycled at all or very little? I saw a documentary on this but I never did my due diligence to check the reliability of their sources.

• Wow
Reactions: Jorelaxed
Zeke said:
Wasn’t much of the UK’s recycling plastic waste ending up in shipping containers in Southeast Asia and not be recycled at all or very little? I saw a documentary on this but I never did my due diligence to check the reliability of their sources.
You’re right , I drive a truck doing containers and a regular reload is either waste bailed cardboard or plastic even tin cans
Did a plastics one on Thursday
Scrap metal is another load but usually it’s put in to an old container and then gets dumped as a whole in to the blast furnace

Reactions: Jorelaxed and Zeke
Zeke said:
NappiedTruckDriver said:
You’re right , I drive a truck doing containers and a regular reload is either waste bailed cardboard or plastic even tin cans
Did a plastics one on Thursday
Scrap metal is another load but usually it’s put in to an old container and then gets dumped as a whole in to the blast furnace
Sadly you are both right. Most of the time, in fact nearly always, the recycling waste is dealt with properly at a MRF. Unfortunately, as with any process the plants can have malfunctions and go off line and the shear volume of recycling waste that arrives every hour of the working day will quickly overwhelm the capacity of the plant and storage space.

In Hampshire our waste is dealt with by the French multinational organisation Veolia and wherever possible waste for recycling is either sent to other Veolia MRFs outside the county or on some occasions to Veolia MRFs in Europe or even further overseas.

Where this is not possible it is taken to one of the three ERGs for incineration and energy recovery.
Some councils have fallen victim to unscrupulous operators and waste has ended up in Asia and elsewhere. The UK government is cracking down on these illegal activities.

Last edited by a moderator:
AquaticDiapers said:
I cut out meat. Turns out it has a huge carbon and water footprint, and production results in a lot of deforestation. Something like fifteen percent of global emissions are directly related to animal agriculture, and it's the single biggest bad environmental thing most people do. Between that, switching my car for one that gets 35mpg, and a few other minor things, I've more than offset even 24/7 hogwild diaper usage, which I don't do either, haha. Seriously though, cutting out meat is the single best thing you can do to reduce your impact, even just for peace of mind it's good.
Thanks AquaticDiapers for your post.

This is an interesting thread. I think most people on this planet really do want to care for it, as it is our home and we don't want to trash it out so we no longer have a decent place to live. Anything that we can do to help the environment, no matter how small does add up to make a difference, especially if done by a lot of people over a large period of time.

The one thing I would caution here, is that sometimes general ideas without understanding the full context of them may sometimes result in activities that while seemingly done to help out the environment, may not always be as intended.

This stated, I am going to share forthright, that I am a real life cowboy and raise livestock for consumption as an agricultural product. Hence, my viewpoint is coming from such, and likely may differ from what you may have read elsewhere.

As evident in most acknowledged scientific studies, a balance diet of fruits, vegetables, meats, and so forth, as given in the healthy diet triangle, is what we as humans and our metabolisms are supposed to have. Meats are often towards the top of the triangle and not as the same percentage as whole grains and such, but they are an essential component of getting the protein and specific other nutritional components our organisms require.

Folks can choose how they meet their nutritional needs, but the fact is that we are omnivores, that's just nature's reality.

So having said that, it certainly is one's choice, but there is lots of false science out there about the costs to the environment in regards to production of meat. For instance, the animals I raise are on lands that are not otherwise suitable for crop production, and would result in dangerous levels of uncontrolled vegetative growth that can easily result in catastrophic wildfires.

What are the dangers of such smoke and atmospheric release of carbon and greenhouse gasses when such devastating events occur? Reducing these vegetative fuels through grazing and production of a beneficial source of food and nutrition could arguably be noted as a huge benefit to the environment rather than the risk of wildfire and the devastating amount of erosion and sedimentation into streams and rivers that occurs after a wildfire event.

Are there threats to the environment from production of meat. Certainly, yes. But likewise the same for production of any agricultural commodity. So my point is not to create an argument, but rather hopefully a source of education that there is a lot more going on and one cannot say that consumption of meat is bad for the environment. The truth is that it depends on how it is produced, and what a ll takes place.

There is no question that there is more deforestation that occurs in creating homes and harvest of wood products for timber, and expansion of urban populations than for production of lands suitable for grazing. Often, as urban sprawl continues, there is the "last crop" which is taking otherwise productive farmland of orchards and crops into housing and concrete and asphalt jungles where no longer any such harvest of sustainable food products occurs.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this is from personal experience. The location I grew up as a child was finally bulldozed over and townhomes and shopping centers now exist. Where once four generations of my family raised crops and livestock, there is now a Walmart and strip mall of businesses and asphalt parking lots. There are townhomes and a supersized Maverick convenience store, and fast food joints and there is no sign of anything that is being produced for food and subsistence. Just the stores and outlets that sell such items from the increasingly limited places that produce them.

I guarantee you that the once vibrant grasslands and healthy environment of trees and plants and living things that were raised for the benefit of humanity, were tons better for the environment than the toxic environment of cars burning hydrocarbons and the electricity to power the movie theaters and the shopping malls and outlets for entertainment and such.

Hence, my point is, don't take everything you read to be truth.

Take a careful look around you and determine for yourself as to what is really affecting the environment. If you want to come out and take a tour of the TeddyBearCowboy ranch vs going for a drive in downtown suburbia or any city anywhere, I think you will see a heck of a difference in what protecting and caring for the environment is than what you may read in Life or Newsweek magazine. Nature is very much more natural here than the environment which most live today.

I would gladly drink freely from any of the runoff waters of my ranch than to risk drinking the water from the runoff of storm drains and curbs and gutters from any city or urban location. The livestock on my ranch are cared for probably better than the majority of human populations on this planet. With careful attention to their health and well being. They receive a diet that meets all of their nutritional needs and is not polluted with caffeine, or fats, or salts and the stuff that most humans willingly take into their bodies every day. They receive almost daily health examinations and are immunized against all sorts of diseases, including coronavirus! If they have an ailment, they are promptly treated and cared for.

Anyhow, I digress deeply and apologize.

As you shared in your post, you are concerned about the environment, and again, I applaud you for that. We all need to be taking care of our home and ensuring it is available for us and future generations. But I share all of this lengthly narrative in the hopes that folks don't get lost in paths that they think are doing something altruistic, when they very opposite may be the reality. We all have to look at the facts and then decide for ourselves.

Reactions: tango79, AquaticDiapers and littleFeathers
Thanks for the
TeddyBearCowboy said:
Thanks AquaticDiapers for your post.

This is an interesting thread. I think most people on this planet really do want to care for it, as it is our home and we don't want to trash it out so we no longer have a decent place to live. Anything that we can do to help the environment, no matter how small does add up to make a difference, especially if done by a lot of people over a large period of time.

The one thing I would caution here, is that sometimes general ideas without understanding the full context of them may sometimes result in activities that while seemingly done to help out the environment, may not always be as intended.

This stated, I am going to share forthright, that I am a real life cowboy and raise livestock for consumption as an agricultural product. Hence, my viewpoint is coming from such, and likely may differ from what you may have read elsewhere.

As evident in most acknowledged scientific studies, a balance diet of fruits, vegetables, meats, and so forth, as given in the healthy diet triangle, is what we as humans and our metabolisms are supposed to have. Meats are often towards the top of the triangle and not as the same percentage as whole grains and such, but they are an essential component of getting the protein and specific other nutritional components our organisms require.

Folks can choose how they meet their nutritional needs, but the fact is that we are omnivores, that's just nature's reality.

So having said that, it certainly is one's choice, but there is lots of false science out there about the costs to the environment in regards to production of meat. For instance, the animals I raise are on lands that are not otherwise suitable for crop production, and would result in dangerous levels of uncontrolled vegetative growth that can easily result in catastrophic wildfires.

What are the dangers of such smoke and atmospheric release of carbon and greenhouse gasses when such devastating events occur? Reducing these vegetative fuels through grazing and production of a beneficial source of food and nutrition could arguably be noted as a huge benefit to the environment rather than the risk of wildfire and the devastating amount of erosion and sedimentation into streams and rivers that occurs after a wildfire event.

Are there threats to the environment from production of meat. Certainly, yes. But likewise the same for production of any agricultural commodity. So my point is not to create an argument, but rather hopefully a source of education that there is a lot more going on and one cannot say that consumption of meat is bad for the environment. The truth is that it depends on how it is produced, and what a ll takes place.

There is no question that there is more deforestation that occurs in creating homes and harvest of wood products for timber, and expansion of urban populations than for production of lands suitable for grazing. Often, as urban sprawl continues, there is the "last crop" which is taking otherwise productive farmland of orchards and crops into housing and concrete and asphalt jungles where no longer any such harvest of sustainable food products occurs.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this is from personal experience. The location I grew up as a child was finally bulldozed over and townhomes and shopping centers now exist. Where once four generations of my family raised crops and livestock, there is now a Walmart and strip mall of businesses and asphalt parking lots. There are townhomes and a supersized Maverick convenience store, and fast food joints and there is no sign of anything that is being produced for food and subsistence. Just the stores and outlets that sell such items from the increasingly limited places that produce them.

I guarantee you that the once vibrant grasslands and healthy environment of trees and plants and living things that were raised for the benefit of humanity, were tons better for the environment than the toxic environment of cars burning hydrocarbons and the electricity to power the movie theaters and the shopping malls and outlets for entertainment and such.

Hence, my point is, don't take everything you read to be truth.

Take a careful look around you and determine for yourself as to what is really affecting the environment. If you want to come out and take a tour of the TeddyBearCowboy ranch vs going for a drive in downtown suburbia or any city anywhere, I think you will see a heck of a difference in what protecting and caring for the environment is than what you may read in Life or Newsweek magazine. Nature is very much more natural here than the environment which most live today.

I would gladly drink freely from any of the runoff waters of my ranch than to risk drinking the water from the runoff of storm drains and curbs and gutters from any city or urban location. The livestock on my ranch are cared for probably better than the majority of human populations on this planet. With careful attention to their health and well being. They receive a diet that meets all of their nutritional needs and is not polluted with caffeine, or fats, or salts and the stuff that most humans willingly take into their bodies every day. They receive almost daily health examinations and are immunized against all sorts of diseases, including coronavirus! If they have an ailment, they are promptly treated and cared for.

Anyhow, I digress deeply and apologize.

As you shared in your post, you are concerned about the environment, and again, I applaud you for that. We all need to be taking care of our home and ensuring it is available for us and future generations. But I share all of this lengthly narrative in the hopes that folks don't get lost in paths that they think are doing something altruistic, when they very opposite may be the reality. We all have to look at the facts and then decide for ourselves.
Thanks for taking the time to respond, and I appreciate what you're saying. I'm sure there are ranchers such as yourself who take good care of their animals, but I'm sure being in the business, you also know that petit bourgeois ranchers unfortunately aren't the majority, and large operations have the lion's share of the business. I can't say I agree with some of the more fact-based statements you've made regarding statistical likelihoods and measured impacts of different things, but I do appreciate that you're very correct about how cutting out animal products is far from the only way to positively impact our environment and the planet. Petrochemical energy is certainly the biggest negative impact on the planet, there's no argument there. Unfortunately, it's not something I can actively change about myself- I can't switch the electricity sources I use, just try to limit it. Thus, when I can make a change elsewhere, I do. 15% of CO2e is, even though it's not the majority of that pie, significant enough that I'm glad I made the change. Plus, having been a veterinary technician, I started having trouble caring for some animals and enjoying others. Take good care of yours! Thanks

Reactions: TeddyBearCowboy
A lot of waste is incinerated and the energy used generates electricity. I like to think positive and think that my used nappies are lighting up someone’s home! I saw on the news last year there is a recycling plant for nappies, it shreds them, washes it and reuses it in some one, but they only collect from commercial premises like nurseries and care homes. They need to have nappy banks along side the bottle banks!

I do ponder the environmental impact quite often. This is going to be a bit of a long-ish post as I'm very passionate about waste sustainability, reducing the amount of waste generated, and maximizing waste diversion.

Currently, no city in the world accepts diapers for composting other than Toronto, and frankly I have no clue how they're able to pull that off. Everywhere else, we put them in the trash. I guess I'm lucky I live in a region (San Francisco Bay Area) that is serious on recycling and composting. We pioneered North America's first residential food scrap collection program way before I was born. We accept a lot of stuff in our recycling bins, and contrary to what some reports suggest, we don't just secretly dump everything in the landfill afterwards. Our MRFs have a very high recovery rate, and when China stopped accepting a lot of materials, we found alternate buyers. In fact, much of our recycling is recycled domestically or in Canada. Our food scraps are all composted locally and sold to local farms and vineyards. If you drink a bottle of Sonoma or Napa wine, chances are you're drinking someone's old banana peels, paper towels, pizza boxes, and restaurant table scraps! Recology, the largest waste collection company in our area that has many municipal contracts, is a world leader in recovering over 80% of what goes in recycling bins, and they produce exceptionally high quality recyclables for sale to processing facilities.

One area where we fall short, however, is what happens to our black bin trash, the stuff that isn't destined for the MRF or the compost pile. In the 1980s, plans to build a waste to energy facility in Brisbane (yes there's a city called Brisbane in California) were scrapped after environmentalists protested. One argument of the anti WTE crowd is that it discourages recycling efforts due to the sunk cost of building the facility in the first place. Landfilling, they argue, creates an incentive to maximize recycling due to the finite amount of space available and the inability to just dig a new landfill when one closes. However, this logic is shaky when comparing to other jurisdictions. Belgium, Germany, and Sweden all have high recycling rates and high waste to energy utilization. Vancouver built a waste to energy plant in the 80s that's still operational and they also have high diversion rates. Perth is building a waste to energy facility as we speak.

LePew said:
I think about it a lot. I’m so sorry planet earth 😢
As bad as it is, it’s not going to stop me. Does that make me a bad guy? Maybe, I dunno. I’m sorry.
No it doesn't make you a bad guy.

Back