Elastic on the top of abdl diapers

Littledragon87

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Hi all
I was wondering if any of you would happen to know why there's a elastic scrumchy part on top of abdl diapers and good quality medical. And what does it mean if you wear one and the elastic is completely stretched out but you are wearing the right size

Do you mean around the waist, where your belly is? That is so it never gets too tight, I suppose, same reason my joggers waist elasticated...

The front and back waistband elastic on most adult diapers is, IMO, pretty dumb. It's often well above where you're tensioning the diaper when you tape it on, so it doesn't really do anything for the fit. It doesn't expand and contract as you move. Instead it just shrivels up and stays that way, creating a funny-looking pucker at the front and back. I'd rather they left it off.

Littledragon87 said:
And what does it mean if you wear one and the elastic is completely stretched out but you are wearing the right size
Which diaper is it? I'm curious. Ideally it would be somewhere between fully relaxed and completely stretched, but probably closer to the latter. Completely stretched means that when it needs to stretch more, something that isn't supposed to stretch (anymore)... will. Although again, that's kind of par for the course for most adult diapers. Usually none of the materials that are tensioned around your waist are meant to stretch at all, so instead they gradually deform (permanently) as you move, which is why your diaper slowly goes slack. This is one of those big disparities between adult and baby diapers. The latter have had proper elastics in the waists for 20+ years. The former, for the most part, still don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL and BigAl2
Cottontail said:
The front and back waistband elastic on most adult diapers is, IMO, pretty dumb. It's often well above where you're tensioning the diaper when you tape it on, so it doesn't really do anything for the fit. It doesn't expand and contract as you move. Instead it just shrivels up and stays that way, creating a funny-looking pucker at the front and back. I'd rather they left it off.

Yeah the waistband works great on actual babies, but you need some really heavy duty elastic for it to actually do something to benefit adults.

• Thinking
Reactions: Jorelaxed, abdlchristian12, BigAl2 and 1 other person
These are normally on pull ups to keep them up, which is why I’m not keen on them. Taped nappies don’t normally have the elastic waistband as you have the tapes to adjust to a tight fit. I wouldn’t expect to stretch them to there max as this would be too tight and have no give, if this is the case you will be better in the next size up

Reactions: BigAl2
If you have ever tried diapers without them, you'll understand the job they do. A diaper with no elastic is very uncomfortable.

Reactions: Jorelaxed and billybobtombo
I don't see the benefit of them myself. I don't mind if a diaper has them or not.

Reactions: CptKirk
I have worn diapers with, and without the elastic waistband. Personally I like the diaper to have it because it more closely resembles a baby diaper if it has one. If it does anything, I think it adds a slight barrier from leaks while lying down. I say slight because I have leaked many times while lying down as it seems the diaper cant make a good seal at the top. I think It would need to be extremely tight in order to prevent a leak out the top. I guess the elastic is mostly cosmetic.

Reactions: TigerDL, MetalDan86 and BigAl2
Definitely prefer them with, the elastic helps a snug fit IMO.

Reactions: Jorelaxed, BenNevis and BigAl2
The only waist banded diapers that ever felt right to me were the mid 2000's Attends, and Confidry 24/7's. Now sadly both discontinued.

Reactions: BigAl2
Honestly, they seem to make absolutely no difference, other than aesthetics.

Reactions: MetalDan86, denimchicken and BigAl2
Cottontail said:
I agree about the elastic waistbands. The hook and loop and tape panel areas are under the waistbands so the tension is below. Probably one of the reasons I like the Abenas - you can tape wherever it is most comfortable without having to go below an elastic waistband.
When I first tried a diaper with an elastic waistband I wasn’t sure how to deal with it. I guess we all deal with it the same way, basically ignore it.

Reactions: TigerDL and Cottontail
I think it’s there to help prevent tearing.

I personally like elastic waistbands, especially ones in the front as it keeps the diaper close against my belly. (Ie, ABU Preschools only had elastic in the back, and it sometimes tended to "bow out" in front of my belly, whereas the Northshore Airlock Lites that I like have elastic on both sides)

I love diaper waistbands that go high right over my belly button. The medium Northshore MegaMax and Betterdry/Cuddlz both have a more babyish feel with them that way imo.

Back