Dual Sport Motorcycle??

I have ridden many many thousands of miles, have had 3 Harleys, and also road XR400's in the woods , until I was 67 and felt like I lost the ability to ride safely .. I miss them, I wasn't scared of getting killed I was scared of not getting killed and having to try to recover at that age. I agree about the adventure type .. either get a cruiser or a off road .. or both .

depta99 said:
I hear you ... I had bigger bikes (BMW r1100), and I much preferred the V-Strom becasue of versatility and nimbleness. Sorry to hear you cannot ride it anymore. For me it was a sad realization that it was only a matter of time before I got hit by a distracted driver. I had an extremely close call where somebody almost got me, and I sold the bike the same day. In considered a warning from above. I miss riding all the time. Thinking of getting a very used light sports car just to get a tiny sliver of that taste back. Nowhere near the same thing, but at least a manual transmission and direct steering.
I checked out the CanAm Spyders and Rykers but both are too low to the ground and absurdly wide for my preferences plus they are NOT motorcycles. My moto days are over, sad to say but I had a good run!

• Sad
Reactions: chamberpot
CLPP said:
I LOVE my VStrom DL650 and have ridden her for 55K miles but it’s been over a year since I had a stroke and my balance is still out of whack and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to ride two wheels again. It sucks!! I’ll be putting her up for sale this Spring, reluctantly.
You can still ride there are 3 wheel motorcycles can am and others.
The wind and smells are waiting for you.

For me this was situational dependent. I have been riding for, sheesh, 30 plus years. Mainly large cruisers, however I did have a couple of adventure bikes in their, a KTM990A, and a Yamaha Super Tenere. When I lived in the PNW, the adventure bikes were a blast. Hit the forest service trails. About 11 years ago I moved to Minnesota, much less off roading potential here. I found the Tenere to be too buzzy on the super slab so I treaded it for a 2010 Yamaha FJR1300. Turns out the FJR is my favorite bike of the bunch. I know have a 2018 FJR1300. Its the only model that I bought twice. I have owned many cycles. 83 Honda Shadow 500, 2005 Victory Kingpin, 08 Victory Vision, 08 Victory Hammer, Buell Blast, KTM 990A, Yamaha Super Tenere, and now the FJRs.

I have ridden for years. The last decade, so I’ve owned gold wings. I just sold my last one about six months ago. my wife and I both really enjoyed riding. I decided it was time to let go of that. Goldwing is a heavy bike and I was getting more concerned about my physical agility to handle it. That and the values have really gone up with those since Covid and I sold my 2018 for what I paid for it six years ago. Seemed like a good time to sell. I didn’t ride it around town or on the interstate usually would take day trips on the back roads out in the country. We also had a trailer that we put it on and towed it behind our motorhome when vacationing. They are a lot of fun. Just be careful.

I had hoped to add a Gold Wing to my stable but the freakin’ stroke cancelled that plan! I’m older anyways.

CLPP said:
I had hoped to add a Gold Wing to my stable but the freakin’ stroke cancelled that plan! I’m older anyways.
Goldwing was always on my list too. For me it's just the local traffic I don't trust. If I move more rural which is my plan I'll promptly get back into it. I trusted my own riding, but the number of people pecking away on their phones spooked me.

I’m too afraid to ride the freeways and roads around here in SoCal. Too much chaos, too many accidents. That’s why I stick to the trails. Much safer there. All I got to worry about are the obstacles and staying off private property.

Reactions: depta99
I had the great good fortune to essentially go down my driveway and ride north or west for a few miles to a bounty of back roads with ample twisties, dirt roads and logging trails., Full gear rider with plenty of hi-viz and Clearwater lights. My buddy and I loved to RIDE, RIDE, RIDE 250-300 miles a day. Sure! Motoing is very dangerous but it is so much gd fun and I’m really going to miss it! Crap!

Riding can be dangerous but you can do things to improve your chances proper training, gear, lighting and most importantly experience..... I have over 200,000 miles of riding miles been in a couple of accidents the last in 2007 but made it through.... I never rode to work commuter traffic is one the highest risk times to ride, when we take trips we try to avoid riding through metro areas.... Our house in NY I can leave my driveway and ride all day and travel to the Adirondacks', Mass, Vt, NH all in a days ride without having to get on any interstates, the house in Florida is more challenging to avoiding traffic, allot of times there I go out early am to avoid it...

Great riding in theAdirondacks! Lucky you!!

Harley07 said:
Riding can be dangerous but you can do things to improve your chances proper training, gear, lighting and most importantly experience..... I have over 200,000 miles of riding miles been in a couple of accidents the last in 2007 but made it through.... I never rode to work commuter traffic is one the highest risk times to ride, when we take trips we try to avoid riding through metro areas.... Our house in NY I can leave my driveway and ride all day and travel to the Adirondacks', Mass, Vt, NH all in a days ride without having to get on any interstates, the house in Florida is more challenging to avoiding traffic, allot of times there I go out early am to avoid it...
100.000 here rider safety course are great and a book ride hard ride smart are the best To help. White helmet hi visible riding gear head light tail light modulator helps lots they see you that's the key.

Back