Does wearing a diaper long term increase the likelihood of becoming incontinent?

SebUK97

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Do you think that wearing a diaper longterm, be that every night, every day or 24/7 while not officially incontinent eventually leads to that outcome?

I suppose the question i'm asking is do you think that by allowing yourself to freely pee into a diaper, or mess or both, that the process leads to the reprogramming of your mind to such an extent, that you increase the likelihood of loosing control of your bladder or bowel over time?

The reason i am raising this question is because i think that there may be some merit in this question, but i wanted to see what everyone else thinks?

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadianfalls and Diprs2
I believe that it absolutely does increase your odds of incontinence. I know my control is nowhere near what it used to be and I’m only 41. I have trained myself to wet in my sleep which may be having an impact but I also spend a fair amount of time in diapers during the day as well.
I recently (2 weeks ago) began wearing 24/7, pull ups to work, diaper otherwise in an attempt to encourage the urgency to the point that diapers are a necessity. At work I still use the bathroom so that I don’t have to change but I’m sure to always allow myself to leak at first impulse and dribble all the way to the bathroom in hopes of reworking the habits.

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, Canadianfalls, Diprs2 and 2 others
bret2 said:
I believe that it absolutely does increase your odds of incontinence. I know my control is nowhere near what it used to be and I’m only 41. I have trained myself to wet in my sleep which may be having an impact but I also spend a fair amount of time in diapers during the day as well.
I recently (2 weeks ago) began wearing 24/7, pull ups to work, diaper otherwise in an attempt to encourage the urgency to the point that diapers are a necessity. At work I still use the bathroom so that I don’t have to change but I’m sure to always allow myself to leak at first impulse and dribble all the way to the bathroom in hopes of reworking the habits.
The main reason i posted this question is personal, but i am equally interested in others views. So thank you for your perspective. (y)

Reactions: bret2 and Diprs2
When I started wearing diapers in 2020, I was already having urge issues. I talked to my doctor a year later, but my general practitioner and urologist and they both said that the longer I wear diapers, the more likely I will become incontinent. This is actually what I want so it’s ok to me. I just want to learn how to bedwet.

• Haha
Reactions: SalemRose, GoodnitesXL21, Canadianfalls and 2 others
BabyHailey1977 said:
When I started wearing diapers in 2020, I was already having urge issues. I talked to my doctor a year later, but my general practitioner and urologist and they both said that the longer I wear diapers, the more likely I will become incontinent. This is actually what I want so it’s ok to me. I just want to learn how to bedwet.
I guess i have done things the other way around. I wear every night a thick ABDL diaper and pee freely in my sleep without waking. When i wake in the morning i have soaked my diaper, but not my bed. I don't trust myself without a diaper during the night now, but i also feel i sleep so much better, when doing so also. So for me this too is a positive, and not a negative. :)

Reactions: BabyHailey1977, bret2, Jorelaxed and 1 other person
This is a topic that can often lead to some strong opinions online, especially on forums like this which are aimed more toward healthy support of individuals rather than encouraging extreme desires. There are many here who would urge that trying to become incontinent is unhealthy and should be avoided, there is a lot more to being incontinent than most ABDL folk realise, it may be fun to dream about but can make real life extremely difficult, expensive, and destructive. Great care, consideration and research should be done before anyone thinks to try.

My personal opinion is that as long as they have done due diligence and fully considered what it would mean for them and how it would impact their lives it is still a personal choice and if someone truly desires it then let them try. I would strongly advise anyone to not just think twice but many many times before making that choice as it would be life changing and may be even harder to regain control if you wanted to stop. Also to experiment under controlled conditions first. (i.e. try wearing 24/7 for 2-3 months, try to maintain your awareness and hold it in but take no breaks from wearing so as to see how it would affect you if you had to wear full time.)

With that said to answer your specific question of whether wearing long term can lead to incontinence.

I believe it certainly can lead to at least mild incontinence however from things I have read and accounts of those attempting to become fully incontinent it would seem that it takes (for most) a long time and some very concerted effort before any level of incontinence is reached.

If you have been potty trained well and have no prior issues with continence then you will have many many years of "programming" and practice to overcome, simply wearing nappies all the time should not in itself lead to incontinence as long as you are still maintaining some awareness of when you need to go and making attempts to hold it in. but even allowing yourself to go at the slightest urge and trying not to notice it will take much time for your body to become accustomed to just going without alerting you.

Certainly though by wearing 24/7 and just releasing everything as it comes will cause the bladder capacity to decrease and reduce the amount and the time that you are able to hold in leading to more regular toileting urges. Anytime you choose not to go though and hold it until later would set back any "potty un-training" that you might attempt this means that if un-training is something a person desires they would have to let go wherever and whenever even if not wearing a nappy.

The problem is that while many people into ABDL love the idea of being able to go like a baby and just use a nappy with no ability to stop or even notice when they go the inconvenience of needing to wear 24/7, always carrying spares, changing in public places, family, friends and co-workers finding out, cost, disposal, storage etc. is incredibly high, just ask around in the IC forum for what life is like when you have no control and you will find many people with stories that will put you off the idea.

Even ignoring all the effects it would have on your daily life most of us non-IC ABDL's wear for pleasure or comfort or stress relief etc. and when wearing becomes a need not a choice it can quickly lose the appeal and become a chore and if this happens after you have managed to make yourself incontinent you may have a much harder time going back.

Reactions: jcwilliams343, Soupsoup72, Elhon and 4 others
Yes it can, well for me it has. I need to wear a diaper 24/7. At first it was for fun, now it is for need. I really don't like to have a huge wet spot in my jeans.

Reactions: Jorelaxed, Diprs2 and SebUK97
Well, based solely on my own experience, I will have to take the alternative viewpoint and say long term diaper use has not led to any more loss of bladder control. I have OAB and wear diapers 24/7 now for over three years, as much for psychological reasons, as well as physical ones. Even while diapered I always see to have to hold it for a while, until the time and urgency is just right before wetting myself.

Reactions: incontinente, Diprs2, SebUK97 and 1 other person
Belarin said:
This is a topic that can often lead to some strong opinions online, especially on forums like this which are aimed more toward healthy support of individuals rather than encouraging extreme desires. There are many here who would urge that trying to become incontinent is unhealthy and should be avoided, there is a lot more to being incontinent than most ABDL folk realise, it may be fun to dream about but can make real life extremely difficult, expensive, and destructive. Great care, consideration and research should be done before anyone thinks to try.

My personal opinion is that as long as they have done due diligence and fully considered what it would mean for them and how it would impact their lives it is still a personal choice and if someone truly desires it then let them try. I would strongly advise anyone to not just think twice but many many times before making that choice as it would be life changing and may be even harder to regain control if you wanted to stop. Also to experiment under controlled conditions first. (i.e. try wearing 24/7 for 2-3 months, try to maintain your awareness and hold it in but take no breaks from wearing so as to see how it would affect you if you had to wear full time.)

With that said to answer your specific question of whether wearing long term can lead to incontinence.

I believe it certainly can lead to at least mild incontinence however from things I have read and accounts of those attempting to become fully incontinent it would seem that it takes (for most) a long time and some very concerted effort before any level of incontinence is reached.

If you have been potty trained well and have no prior issues with continence then you will have many many years of "programming" and practice to overcome, simply wearing nappies all the time should not in itself lead to incontinence as long as you are still maintaining some awareness of when you need to go and making attempts to hold it in. but even allowing yourself to go at the slightest urge and trying not to notice it will take much time for your body to become accustomed to just going without alerting you.

Certainly though by wearing 24/7 and just releasing everything as it comes will cause the bladder capacity to decrease and reduce the amount and the time that you are able to hold in leading to more regular toileting urges. Anytime you choose not to go though and hold it until later would set back any "potty un-training" that you might attempt this means that if un-training is something a person desires they would have to let go wherever and whenever even if not wearing a nappy.

The problem is that while many people into ABDL love the idea of being able to go like a baby and just use a nappy with no ability to stop or even notice when they go the inconvenience of needing to wear 24/7, always carrying spares, changing in public places, family, friends and co-workers finding out, cost, disposal, storage etc. is incredibly high, just ask around in the IC forum for what life is like when you have no control and you will find many people with stories that will put you off the idea.

Even ignoring all the effects it would have on your daily life most of us non-IC ABDL's wear for pleasure or comfort or stress relief etc. and when wearing becomes a need not a choice it can quickly lose the appeal and become a chore and if this happens after you have managed to make yourself incontinent you may have a much harder time going back.
I think to be honest you have misunderstood the question i have raised. I am certainly not advocating or indeed promoting a desire to become permanently incontinent. I am very aware of the long term disadvantages, and also financial implications of being permanently incontinent. So yes, neither of which are appealing.

What I am trying establish is whether you can inadvertently become incontinent, albeit unintentionally, simply as a result of continual wearing of diapers, be it for recreational wearing or for other reasons, that you feel important to you, example being as a coping mechanism or stress relief etc.

Reactions: Diprs2
Depending on your body & mental health you "could" eventually start having more IC issues. If your body is used to having a bathroom where ever you go your body could start " un potty training"
Of course as we age that problem generally shows up anyway so might be unrelated

You'd have to test how things are when you're not diaperd and see how strong your control is. If you have none speak to your doctor / urologist

Reactions: Canadianfalls, Jorelaxed, Diprs2 and 1 other person
Why...... I'm incontinent.... Do I enjoy it... No.... Are there the occasional advantages yes would I rather have my continence back.... Yes. The amount of posts I read about people wanting to go 24/7 makes me crazy sometimes, it's not fun. Where do I begin well let's start with this, you get rashes in places no one wants a rash and they are persistent as well they don't clear very easily even with all the expensive creams in the world, you chafe in hot weather, you smell of urine 24/7, you leak on your own furniture, you leak on family and friends furniture, you walk round with wet spots on your trousers, you sit down in a soggy pad which quite frankly feels disgusting, you wet the bed at 3am because the pads your supplied with don't hold up very well and you have to wake your OH up to tell them you need to change the sheets, it costs a fortune to supply your own pads, while I get mine on the NHS the ones they give me are the cheapest money can buy so therefore leak hence the 3AM wake up calls and constant leaking on furniture and clothes, your wheelie bin weights a tonne every week and you have the embarrassment of taking used incontinence pads out every morning yes I could individually bag them but that would further add to my cost and the ever growing environmental impact I keep thinking that I'm having on this planet, I have to catheterise 4 times daily which can sometimes be painful and also lead to excruciating urinary tract infections that said that is a symptom of retention and probably won't arise from wearing 24/7. So back to my occasional advantages of wearing 24/7 I don't have to pee on planes, long car journeys and when I'm watching a film. I think the scale is tipped about 70/30 I'd rather have a larger bladder thank you. Why take the risk of potentially undoing your continence for the sake of wanting to wear 24/7 there's someone on here at the moment who's post I warned them about a few days ago not to go 24/7 now wishes they could take it back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dakota13, Diprs2, littlemoosey and 1 other person
Diapered247inSLC said:
Yes it can, well for me it has. I need to wear a diaper 24/7. At first it was for fun, now it is for need. I really don't like to have a huge wet spot in my jeans.
Thank You. (y)

Kellycares said:
Well, based solely on my own experience, I will have to take the alternative viewpoint and say long term diaper use has not led to any more loss of bladder control. I have OAB and wear diapers 24/7 now for over three years, as much for psychological reasons, as well as physical ones. Even while diapered I always see to have to hold it for a while, until the time and urgency is just right before wetting myself.
Thank you, it's good to have differing accounts and opinions. :)

SparkyDog said:
Depending on your body & mental health you "could" eventually start having more IC issues. If your body is used to having a bathroom where ever you go your body could start " un potty training"
Of course as we age that problem generally shows up anyway so might be unrelated

You'd have to test how things are when you're not diaperd and see how strong your control is. If you have none speak to your doctor / urologist
I am at that stage now, in so much as i have visited my Gp undergone initial tests, a urine flow test, and an ultrasound scan, my Dr is of the opinion that i have underlying issues relating to urge incontinence, and has suggested Benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) as his finding, but has referred me onwards to a urologist for further tests, and a definitive diagnosis. (y) I simply wondered whether my actions of wearing a diaper every night, and peeing freely without waking had been instrumental in where i am now, he is not convinced? However i thought i would raise the question here to establish the general consensus? Thank You for responding. :)

I'm wearing 24/7, I know the risks and I know if I keep wearing for years I could become incontinent! And I honestly don't mind if I do.

Reactions: Incon97, Diprs2, Kellycares and 1 other person
Pongoandperdi15 said:
Why...... I'm incontinent.... Do I enjoy it... No.... Are there the occasional advantages yes would I rather have my continence back.... Yes. The amount of posts I read about people wanting to go 24/7 makes me crazy sometimes, it's not fun. Where do I begin well let's start with this, you get rashes in places no one wants a rash and they are persistent as well they don't clear very easily even with all the expensive creams in the world, you chafe in hot weather, you smell of urine 24/7, you leak on your own furniture, you leak on family and friends furniture, you walk round with wet spots on your trousers, you sit down in a soggy pad which quite frankly feels disgusting, you wet the bed at 3am because the pads your supplied with don't hold up very well and you have to wake your OH up to tell them you need to change the sheets, it costs a fortune to supply your own pads, while I get mine on the NHS the ones they give me are the cheapest money can buy so therefore leak hence the 3AM wake up calls and constant leaking on furniture and clothes, your wheelie bin weights a tonne every week and you have the embarrassment of taking used incontinence pads out every morning yes I could individually bag them but that would further add to my cost and the ever growing environmental impact I keep thinking that I'm having on this planet, I have to catheterise 4 times daily which can sometimes be painful and also lead to excruciating urinary tract infections that said that is a symptom of retention and probably won't arise from wearing 24/7. So back to my occasional advantages of wearing 24/7 I don't have to pee on planes, long car journeys and when I'm watching a film. I think the scale is tipped about 70/30 I'd rather have a larger bladder thank you. Why take the risk of potentially undoing your continence for the sake of wanting to wear 24/7 there's someone on here at the moment who's post I warned them about a few days ago not to go 24/7 now wishes they could take it back.
I am by no means advocating a desire to render myself permanently urinary incontinent. I'm sorry the impact being incontinent has on your life, and your wallet. I do however maintain that this question is a valid one, in so much as what could start off as harmless fun, could eventually lead to such an outcome? I don't definitively know? I'm not sure if it has ever been conclusively proven, but i do think its a valid question to raise, all the same. Thank you for responding. (y)

TommyTheDiaperDuck said:
I'm wearing 24/7, I know the risks and I know if I keep wearing for years I could become incontinent! And I honestly don't mind if I do.
Thank You for you honesty. (y):)

Reactions: TommyTheDiaperDuck and Diprs2
SebUK97 said:
I think to be honest you have misunderstood the question i have raised. I am certainly not advocating or indeed promoting a desire to become permanently incontinent. I am very aware of the long term disadvantages, and also financial implications of being permanently incontinent. So yes, neither of which are appealing.

What I am trying establish is whether you can inadvertently become incontinent, albeit unintentionally, simply as a result of continual wearing of diapers, be it for recreational wearing or for other reasons, that you feel important to you, example being as a coping mechanism or stress relief etc.
I understood the question about whether it was possible that it could inadvertently lead to it, I was just covering bases as I know where these posts tend to lead.

As I mentioned I think regular wear can lead to reduced bladder capacity and greater urge response but I also think that if you are still trying to maintain control and spending some time out of nappies and using a toilet the chance of it leading to complete incontinence is low.

The point I was trying to make in my post was that it requires a certain amount of conscious effort and desire to completely lose control. The chance of it happening unintentionally as a result of regular wear is extremely low without some prior history of bladder weakness/conditions.

**Edit to add**
It is a definitely a valid question and has been debated on quite a bit here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and SebUK97
Belarin said:
I understood the question about whether it was possible that it could inadvertently lead to it, I was just covering bases as I know where these posts tend to lead.

As I mentioned I think regular wear can lead to reduced bladder capacity and greater urge response but I also think that if you are still trying to maintain control and spending some time out of nappies and using a toilet the chance of it leading to complete incontinence is low.

The point I was trying to make in my post was that it requires a certain amount of conscious effort and desire to completely lose control. The chance of it happening unintentionally as a result of regular wear is extremely low without some prior history of bladder weakness/conditions.

**Edit to add**
It is a definitely a valid question and has been debated on quite a bit here.
Fair enough, thank you for responding. I was certainly not attempting to upset those who are incontinent. I'm very aware the impact of being IC has on those individuals lives. I would never actively encourage making yourself permanently incontinent, and have no real desire to make myself incontinent either, despite enjoying wearing a diaper every night.

One of my reasons for posting this question in the adult diapers forum instead of the IC forum, was because i was aiming this question at those who wear diapers more than occasionally, but whom aren't incontinent or didn't start wearing diapers as a result of being incontinent, but have nevertheless ended up inducing a form of incontinence by their actions?

I include myself in asking this question? Our my actions instrumental in altering my ability to retain control of my bladder long term? I genuinely don't know? :unsure:

Reactions: Belarin
I'm fully aware you weren't trying to upset us it's a totally valid question I've been meaning to put it out there for a while as many people ask about 24/7 wearing, I have another UTI I'm cranky so sorry if it came off as much 🤣 I'm was just stating the joys that come with wearing 24/7 it's really not worth the faff. As for BPH I don't have that but it can lead to issues of retention which can require medication (been on those and hated them) or intermittent self catherisation if you need any help with these in the future feel free to ask.

Reactions: SebUK97
Back