Do you....

Twinmom

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Ok .....now don't get me wrong. I still have no control over my bladder right now. But just wondering. How many knowing you will end up wet anyway. Just don't even get up . I do I know that it doesn't matter either way I'm gonna end up wetting the diaper anyway. So why bother getting up . All that does is make my wet on the way to the bathroom versus laying in my bed. So I just let it happen in the bed. And I don't mean I wet the bed. I wet the diaper just while I'm in the bed. How many say just forget trying to get to the commode. It's not happening either way. I will end up wetting before I even make it.

Reactions: Diprs2, paul484819, Deleted member 73083 and 6 others
Very often know I am pushing it probably too far so just let go in my Nappy, why struggle trying to beat something you know ultimately you cannot beat !

Reactions: Diprs2, ianwee and AttilaThePun
I think every IC person is going through such thoughts and "internal discussions" with oneself. Especially with any kind of Urge IC / OAB it's common to think "shouldn't I try to reach the toilet", "can I get outside before the next urge hits", "shall I use the bathroom before I switch on the espresso machine knowing that the sound of the running coffee will open my floodgates" and all similar ones like that. We also had discussions here like "is it allowed to use your diaper even if you know you might be able to reach the toilet" and other threads going around that big issue.
In my personal view it's fully OK simply to let things happen which will come anyway unavoidable. Does it give me any satisfaction if I wet my diaper a few steps before I reach the bathroom after jumping with an urge out of the bed? For sure not, so after a few (mostly unsuccessful) tries at the beginning of my IC I also decided "what the fuck, I simply stay in bed and let the diaper do it's job". The same with my daytime issues. Instead of arranging my life around my IC, calculating with timed voids, looking when best to go outside in order to avoid "accidents", pre-thinking where the nearest restrooms are available, limiting my fluid intake, avoiding coffee, tea or any kind of alcohol I prefer very much to wear (and use) appropriate protection which nobody else gets aware of and to continue (and enjoy) my regular, active and social life without major limitations.

Reactions: Diprs2, Fleetwoodmac32192, Lethdale and 6 others
I’m the same , as at home I sleep in a cabin bed which is 4ft off the floor and I’m a truck driver at work so could be parked no where near toilets or other side of parking lot (my mind don’t do public toilets and locks me up ) so getting out of bed quick in both types is a no no .
Day time y’all just can’t park a Semi any where to stop for a pee (UK is terrible for services )so I’ll just pee my nappy
At home I will as well
Before any says I do try holding at first urge if mild but it soon come back stronger

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Zeke, michaelmc and 2 others
Twinmom said:
Ok .....now don't get me wrong. I still have no control over my bladder right now. But just wondering. How many knowing you will end up wet anyway. Just don't even get up . I do I know that it doesn't matter either way I'm gonna end up wetting the diaper anyway. So why bother getting up . All that does is make my wet on the way to the bathroom versus laying in my bed. So I just let it happen in the bed. And I don't mean I wet the bed. I wet the diaper just while I'm in the bed. How many say just forget trying to get to the commode. It's not happening either way. I will end up wetting before I even make it.
Being an older adult male I was already experiencing the bathroom march being repeated several times a night as the result of a swollen prostate prior to becoming dual incontinent. The advantage of not having to get up to go to the restroom several times a night helped take away a bit of the resentment for my having to wear some form of containment. Then when I started wetting in my sleep, shortly after starting to wear 24/7, it became even more convenient and conducive to a good night’s sleep.

Reactions: Diprs2, Wetshisbed, chamberpot and 3 others
I’m IC , lost 2/3 of my bladder ruptured in auto accident so no matter what 24/7 diapered . It’s just normal to wake up soaked . Takes between 5 to 7 diapers daily but 1 is a cloth because they don’t leak while sleeping . The only thing about cloth diapers they can get cold at night and that wakes me up . 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Diprs2, Zeke, Edgewater and 1 other person
I don't feel guilty about using my overnight diaper. Even if it was effortless to get out of bed without being dizzy etc., it's a lot of work to undo things so that I can pee in the toilet. It's better that I don't get dizzy and fall, nor wake up my wife and cats. I've already paid for the diaper that I will not re-use tomorrow, so why not use it?

Reactions: Diprs2, chamberpot, Zeke and 2 others
If I have a suspicion that I'm reaching my night diaper's limit, and I am awake enough to get out of bed, then I'll go to the bathroom to change. Some nights I have more urine output than others, so my night diaper gets maxed out sooner than usual. If so, I don't try to rush to the bathroom to pee, I just go there to clean up, blot dry, and put a new diaper on. If not, I stay in bed and pee in the diaper, whether awake or asleep. I'm U-IC, so it's gonna happen anyway.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
slimjiminy said:
I don't feel guilty about using my overnight diaper. Even if it was effortless to get out of bed without being dizzy etc., it's a lot of work to undo things so that I can pee in the toilet. It's better that I don't get dizzy and fall, nor wake up my wife and cats. I've already paid for the diaper that I will not re-use tomorrow, so why not use it?
Good point about the wife and cats. I try not to wake my wife and the dog! 😁

Reactions: Diprs2, slimjiminy and Edgewater
If I do wake up needing to pee I just do it in my nappy and drift back to sleep

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, Constantlydamp, incontinente and 5 others
I used to just go in the diaper in my bed but it led to uncontrolled bedwetting (which doesn’t work for my lifestyle). So now I get up everytime even though I still wear a diaper to bed. Haven’t had an accident in almost 3 weeks now. In October I woke up wet probably 2 out of 3 nights. I thought I would like being a bedwetter but in reality it sucks!

Reactions: Diprs2 and AttilaThePun
AttilaThePun said:
If I have a suspicion that I'm reaching my night diaper's limit, and I am awake enough to get out of bed, then I'll go to the bathroom to change. Some nights I have more urine output than others, so my night diaper gets maxed out sooner than usual. If so, I don't try to rush to the bathroom to pee, I just go there to clean up, blot dry, and put a new diaper on. If not, I stay in bed and pee in the diaper, whether awake or asleep. I'm U-IC, so it's gonna happen anyway.
It’s concerning to learn about the falls many older folks have while urgently trying to get to the restroom. That new vacuum wicking device for female urinary incontinence has a TV ad that uses this concern as a selling point. As dangerous as it was when your kids were little and they would leave a Lego minefield between your bedroom and the bathroom it’s even more dangerous trying to get to your bathroom as an aging adult. So it would seem that according to the statistics diapers prevent falls on the way to the bathroom which makes them A SAFETY DEVICE!

• Love
Reactions: Napincolove, Diprs2, slimjiminy and 4 others
At night, I either sleep thru the night soundly or my back is acting-up and I am up! Unless, I get a clear signal my system just flows or dribbles at night. My diaper is either moderately wet or tempting the outer limits of my MEGAMAX.

Reactions: Diprs2, bdale, chamberpot and 3 others
Zeke said:
It’s concerning to learn about the falls many older folks have while urgently trying to get to the restroom. That new vacuum wicking device for female urinary incontinence has a TV ad that uses this concern as a selling point. As dangerous as it was when your kids were little and they would leave a Lego minefield between your bedroom and the bathroom it’s even more dangerous trying to get to your bathroom as an aging adult. So it would seem that according to the statistics diapers prevent falls on the way to the bathroom which makes them A SAFETY DEVICE!
I wonder who pays for the 'research' that produces such findings; they're very convenient to the needs of the diaper and care home industries as they allow the former to sell more product and the latter to cut costs by putting residents in diapers rather than having staff to take them to the loo when they need to. It's beneficial to older people to maintain independence for as long as they can; putting people in diapers when they don't need them often leads to them losing continence if, for example, they're already in the early stages of dementia. If like the OP @Twinmom you know you won't make it, don't sweat it; just use the diaper and get back to sleep.

• Thinking
Reactions: Zeke, AttilaThePun and Edgewater
Twinmom said:
Why worry if you have protection on? I know for years I battled accidents in bed and not wearing and slowly they are reoccurring. The result were worse than having a diaper on… They weren’t consistent but often enough to start wearing protection again. after a wile with a diaper on i realized I didn’t have to worry and can have a good sleep. I don’t take it as a why bother getting up but more like I can have a good sleep tonight worry free. For you if its a struggle to make it on time than take comfort in knowing you have protection and use it as intended.

Reactions: inconowl, AttilaThePun, chamberpot and 2 others
There is no question that a full and restful night's sleep is far more important than wetting a diaper!
FYI: Wearing a diaper does not increase the need to wear, they only allow you to be a step in front!

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun, bdale, chamberpot and 2 others
Twinmom said:
I deal with the same ....I very rarely make it to the bathroom I've all but gave up.... I just embrace my diapers. And on top of that when you try and make it and fail it just feels like more of a failure and gets mentally exhausting at least if I choose to just not try and to use my diaper for what it's meant for I'm still in control...it was my choice... 😆

• Love
Reactions: AttilaThePun, NappiedTruckDriver and Edgewater
HumanFly said:
... putting people in diapers when they don't need them often leads to them losing continence if, for example, they're already in the early stages of dementia.
My aunt was losing her short-term memory so bad that she couldn't find her way back to any bathroom, let alone recognize one. If you showed her where one was, it would be forgotten for next time. It was better for the staff to give her a diaper than follow her around. It's just one of the sad realities of dealing with dementia.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Edgewater
I did try to make it to the bathroom at night a couple of years back, but with an increasingly mixed result.
Now I prioritize my and my family’s sleep. We have squeaky floors, so no stealthy bathroom visits here.
Besides, the diaper is going to be changed in the morning anyway, so why not use it.
I do wake up when I feel the need to go, but can fall right back to sleep after.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Edgewater and chamberpot
Mostly I just go ahead and use my diaper, sleep is not nearly as badly interrupted that way sometimes not at all, I was getting up 4-6 times a night, sometimes still not making it so like others have said I'm going to change my diaper when I get dressed in the morning anyway so why not.

Reactions: Napincolove, OnePiece, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
Back