Do you have friends that actually know you are IC?

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Do you have friends that know you're IC? I have a fare amount of pretty good friends. Very few know that I'm diaper dependent. I don't fly an IC flag. It's been a very private thing for me. Since I was a kid I never told anyone. Being IC is hard enough with trying to explain others about this. But I do have a few friends who know. I love the fact that they are discreet about the fact that I'm diapered. They don't talk about diapers and keep me as just a regular guy. How many friends that know about my medical issues? How long has they known?

Reactions: checkingoutall and DiaperedKhajiit
Yes, but it’s a little different. I told two of my best friends. I’ve always been into diapers, but not actually wearing them for a long time. I started wearing again in 2020 pretty much 24-7 and developed OAB. I was getting ready to visit friends so I told them about the OAB and my IBS and that I started wearing diapers. They were both really cool about it. Then through talking about it, I told them about the DL part of me. They were all cool about it and could care less. One of the wives sent me a gif of a guy dancing in a diaper. She said that it reminded her of me, and they are proud of me for telling them. Made them feel special that I trusted them enough to disclose something so personal.

Reactions: checkingoutall
I think it's a bit different. I've been IC since I was very young. Of course others knew I was diapered. But as I got older I tried to hide them, with mixed success. Like most young IC children, there is a point when nobody wants to tell anyone. Eventually I did talk about my needs by the time I was around 12. Some where OK with it, some others not. Some would tell everyone that crushed me. I think any young kid struggling with wearing diapers really changes the way you approach friends. These days I just keep myself quiet. There's no reason to share. Like I said, I have a very short group who actually know that I'm diapered. I'm comfortable with that.

A close friend of my from school is about 2 months older than me. He knows about my diabetes struggles and he has health issues himself. So I've told him about my IC and it was no issue. I've also let another friend (coworker from years ago) know, and it's no big deal. I find that only people that are IC tend to want to talk about it, however.

slimjiminy said:
I find that only people that are IC tend to want to talk about it, however.
Maybe it's just me. But I really don't want to talk others who may also struggle with IC. It's such a private thing. Even others who might wear diapers,
I just think it's nobody's business.

Look at all the discussion that happens here. I know that a forum is different. But I would love to be able to comiserate in person with others in a similar situation. For most other health issues friends/family freely discuss. I know I am not alone in this. In other forums people have expressed enthusiasm for finding someone else to talk to about IC. It may not be for everyone - on hat we can agree.

I agree...to a point. Here on the adisc, it's a flow of information and discussion. I'm not talking about normal discussions. This is about talking
friends who may or not know about IC. There is such a different thing.

Most friends i told that i have got bladder problems, like neurogenic bladder.

I did tell nobody i am incontinent or that i am wearing diapers. But at my sports some may have seen it, nobody said a word.

I am O.K. with that.

No reason to hide - but no reason to do it openly either.

Last edited:
Reactions: mickdl and chuck
After I became incontinent and was finally able to return to society and work (1996), there were a number of times that I had to share with extended family, friends, and acquaintances that I was incontinent out of need. Attends were the best disposable available back then (in the USA), but needed to be constantly changed because of the ease of press out. Diaper changes were a constant part of my schedule, as I needed to change 8+ times a day. I always carried a large bag that seemed to get heavier through the day, if I couldn't easily dispose of used diapers. When visiting someone overnight or longer, I needed to know where their trash was and explain why I was filling it up. After being informed, everyone seemed disinterested to be honest.

Since my wife went into hospice in 2010, I worked mostly from home and am now retired. I can stay holed up at home if I'm having a rough day. Disposable diapers are much better now, and I'm also now on a voiding schedule, so I'm dealing with minimal amount of diaper changes. The need to share with someone is just not there anymore, though I wouldn't hesitate sharing if the need arose.

And as I have said before, I have told family members and friends in the past that I deal with incontinence. Years later, I've needed to share with them again, because they have no recollection that I told them before. Everyone is too wrapped up in their own life to remember the details of your life. So unless your incontinence will affect them directly, there is no need to share, and chances are it will be quickly forgotten if you do share.

While I do not fly an incontinent flag, if a friend see my diapers or asks question, I do not try and hide it or cover up. I tell them the truth and deal with it Never an issue.

Like others have said, it's similar to wearing glasses or having a hearing aid or a knee or leg brace or dentures or using insulin. If someone asks you, and you want to tell them about it you can explain it to the length you/they are interested. It might be much more common than people realize because it is often hidden.

Obviously I have family and a few good friends. And they don't talk about it. For the most part. But I don't discuss my health issues. With anyone. ADISC is anonymous and we do enjoy a flow of information. But I don't want to just talk with anyone who might guess. Maybe it's just me. I have talked with a few friends and I'm fine with that. I just don't want to share this. I'm discreet and this is my own secret. Family and a few friend know. Not a big deal. But talking about this with others would simply embarrass me. It isn't a humiliating or shame thing. I just don't share. It's easier.

Reactions: DiaperedKhajiit
greatlake5 said:
Do you have friends that know you're IC? I have a fare amount of pretty good friends. Very few know that I'm diaper dependent. I don't fly an IC flag. It's been a very private thing for me. Since I was a kid I never told anyone. Being IC is hard enough with trying to explain others about this. But I do have a few friends who know. I love the fact that they are discreet about the fact that I'm diapered. They don't talk about diapers and keep me as just a regular guy. How many friends that know about my medical issues? How long has they known?
If this One had family, they would know. It is too hard or impossible to hide this condition and really, why would you? Family and friends should never judge anothers physical challenges or even free choice. Those who do aren't the sort that this One would hang around with anyway. That all said, it isn't something that should be advertised or flaunted. Far too many already go after any sign of weakness or difference. Why give them more ammunition to use against One?

Reactions: Jonnythepony
Back