Diapers in Hospital

After having 3 heart surgeries in 3 years I can tell you that nurses are not paid enough often for the things they have to do.

In 2021 I had a double coronary bypass (thankfully not after a heart attack) at the big university hospital. I was there for 7 days. The first morning after surgery they had me up and walking around. I was so swelled up down below (probably due to all the excess fluids they pumped into me), and I had a foley, but after that was removed I had to use those horrid urinals (I f-ing hate those things). Mind you I had IV’s in both arms, central line, arterial line, pulse ox, etc…. These nurses had to help me find my stuff to go to the bathroom. I had a really cool male nurse that had so much compassion and comforting demeanor. I remember when they started to remove things like the chest tubes, central lines, and pacing wires… he made sure to tell me everything they were doing, and that my heart my flutter a bit when they pulled the pacer wires out… it did and it is scary. LOL somewhere in my records it had to have listed incontinence, as my nurse looked at me and said “you’re not incontinent are you” looked back at the computer and back at me… No i am not.

My second one a year later was done at the Children’s hospital (i am 45). They are serious about not waking you. I woke up and there was a nurse trying to take my temp under my arm, like 6 inches from my face…. My morning nurse said that they are used to taking care of little kids and never want to wake them and get them crying. The ICU was more like curtained beds… so i know there was at least 1 infant, a toddler and a pre-teen in nearby beds as I could hear them.

I do not wear diapers in the hospital, i am not incontinent and not a bedwetter. While i may wear to my appointments and such… sorry if i have to deal with scary situations I deserve to be comforted with my diapers. I don’t want to mix my love of diapers with the in-hospital care I get… especially when it is my heart.

winterheart01 said:
True, One of them had to replace 2 huge bags of fluid for flushing my bladder after my first TURP 4 times a day and she was a bit older already but definitely overweight, she kept huffing and puffing and complained about having to do this. I kept thinking that if she's not fit to do this job she better quit because being a nurse is a hard job that requires a lot of effort , work and stress-resistance. Normally people should know this before going for this job, clearly some don't.

But I keep thanking every nice nurse I had every time they came over , even if it was their routine check. I had some very good ones that made sure everything was in good order, like the IV cable being fumbled a little, then they would straighten it out again or some asked if I would like some more food in the evening in case I got hungry (I was pretty skinny back then) even when the kitchen was closed. One even offered her own sandwiches but I didn't want to do that to her, she needed them more than me.
Another one noticed my IV was not inserted properly as my arm was swollen and immediately replaced it, good thing too because it hurt for a few weeks.

They were always understanding about diapers but some that didn't know (despite the fact it was written on the patient sheet) just came in and opened the curtain while I was changing, I know it's daily stuff for them but I still was embarrassed and a bit startled. I closed the curtain even though the door was closed, just in case.
I did notice that the last 10 years or so hospitals here prefer patients to bring their own diapers, while before they had plenty of them and they'd provide you with theirs from the hospital but I guess it's always the budget cuts that do it. I know hospital diapers are usually thinner but one nurse looked at me really odd when I brought my nighttime abena's (plastic) which were a lot thicker than they're used to, as if it was "too much".
Funny you mention the IV infiltration. Back in 2005 I was in the hospital because of a bad kidney infection. My arm was swollen up from a blown IV but even then I was a extremely hard stick. The Bitch Nurse on duty "I still remember her first and last name name" she did not want nothing to do with changing my IV because it was about 2 hours until her shift change. My hand was almost twice as big as my other hand My hand and the pain in my hand is what woke me up. But she just kept saying it flushes fine I dont think it is blown. I asked her why it had no blood return when she drew on it and she acted like she was mad stupid me knew enough about her job. She told me she would be back and she returned with meds and another flush. So she told me she was going to flush it and if it was still hurting in 10 min she would be back and change it but assured me the pain was from the nausea med "phenergan" they was giving me in the IV. So instead she gave me more of that med and a round of my pain meds and basically nocked me unconscious I woke up about 3 hours later screaming from the pain in my hand and it was way bigger. (like it looked like the dude Martin Short in pure luck). I paged the nurse and the new nurse came on and man she was pissed off when she seen my hand. She told me just the fact it was hurting me and I had asked for it to be changed the Nurse should of changed it. Then she said if it had no blood return that it was for sure blown. She changed it and got me a heat wrap for my hand and she made a call to the charge Nurse who came to investigate. The charge nurse apologized fully and sworn to get to the bottom of it. So the next morning Nurse Ratchet was back on duty and she apologized and said it must of been clearly blown but no way it was as bad as I had described at that point. Blah Blah! I went home latter that day it was my birthday and anniversary. I was in so much pain I just laid in bed. But I woke up around 7 AM the next day and it hurt so bad and it was bright red from finger tips to armpit, So I go back to the hospital and I asked for the complaint department to make a formal complaint on Ratchet. It was March I had a coat on and the lady I was complaining too asked to see it. Her eyes Got so big and she picked up the phone and told someone from the ER to come get me right now. I was still trying to bitch and she was like I will come see you in the ER lets go get that looked at now!! So it turns out that do to the bad IV and the med they was using was known to be bad for viens if not super diluted. But I had a massive Blood clot in my Arm that had Broke off and got stuck in the Bend of My arm. Lucky for me. I spent another week in the Hospital and had to take blood thinner shots every day for 3 moths afterwards. I missed a shit ton of work too. I should of got a lawyer and owned me part of that hospital. So I have since I play no games with that shit. I told one nurse once that wanted to argue with me when it felt infiltrated that if they are not going to change it I am going to pull it myself. I mean I play no games with that shit. People have to stand up for themselves because Nurses and Doctors are far from Perfect.

I have a port now because all my veins are messed up. I had a nurse not to long ago try to access it without sterol gloves. I shut that down immediately.

I am not feeling real great and going to go to bed. My apologies already as I have not proof read any of this and my brain is melted and my keyboard has a couple sticky keys. So I hope you can read between the lines. Plus I am dyslexic!!

Diaperman95 said:
Funny you mention the IV infiltration. Back in 2005 I was in the hospital because of a bad kidney infection. My arm was swollen up from a blown IV but even then I was a extremely hard stick. The Bitch Nurse on duty "I still remember her first and last name name" she did not want nothing to do with changing my IV because it was about 2 hours until her shift change. My hand was almost twice as big as my other hand My hand and the pain in my hand is what woke me up. But she just kept saying it flushes fine I dont think it is blown. I asked her why it had no blood return when she drew on it and she acted like she was mad stupid me knew enough about her job. She told me she would be back and she returned with meds and another flush. So she told me she was going to flush it and if it was still hurting in 10 min she would be back and change it but assured me the pain was from the nausea med "phenergan" they was giving me in the IV. So instead she gave me more of that med and a round of my pain meds and basically nocked me unconscious I woke up about 3 hours later screaming from the pain in my hand and it was way bigger. (like it looked like the dude Martin Short in pure luck). I paged the nurse and the new nurse came on and man she was pissed off when she seen my hand. She told me just the fact it was hurting me and I had asked for it to be changed the Nurse should of changed it. Then she said if it had no blood return that it was for sure blown. She changed it and got me a heat wrap for my hand and she made a call to the charge Nurse who came to investigate. The charge nurse apologized fully and sworn to get to the bottom of it. So the next morning Nurse Ratchet was back on duty and she apologized and said it must of been clearly blown but no way it was as bad as I had described at that point. Blah Blah! I went home latter that day it was my birthday and anniversary. I was in so much pain I just laid in bed. But I woke up around 7 AM the next day and it hurt so bad and it was bright red from finger tips to armpit, So I go back to the hospital and I asked for the complaint department to make a formal complaint on Ratchet. It was March I had a coat on and the lady I was complaining too asked to see it. Her eyes Got so big and she picked up the phone and told someone from the ER to come get me right now. I was still trying to bitch and she was like I will come see you in the ER lets go get that looked at now!! So it turns out that do to the bad IV and the med they was using was known to be bad for viens if not super diluted. But I had a massive Blood clot in my Arm that had Broke off and got stuck in the Bend of My arm. Lucky for me. I spent another week in the Hospital and had to take blood thinner shots every day for 3 moths afterwards. I missed a shit ton of work too. I should of got a lawyer and owned me part of that hospital. So I have since I play no games with that shit. I told one nurse once that wanted to argue with me when it felt infiltrated that if they are not going to change it I am going to pull it myself. I mean I play no games with that shit. People have to stand up for themselves because Nurses and Doctors are far from Perfect.

I have a port now because all my veins are messed up. I had a nurse not to long ago try to access it without sterol gloves. I shut that down immediately.

I am not feeling real great and going to go to bed. My apologies already as I have not proof read any of this and my brain is melted and my keyboard has a couple sticky keys. So I hope you can read between the lines. Plus I am dyslexic!!
Not sure that the failure to proof read is a problem, but dehumanising a woman by referring to her as the word for a dog on heat certainly is. Take your misogyny somewhere else.

• Wow
Reactions: Diaperman95
UrgentWees said:
Not sure that the failure to proof read is a problem, but dehumanising a woman by referring to her as the word for a dog on heat certainly is. Take your misogyny somewhere else.
While I do respect your upset at applying a non-human description to a female human being, I feel compelled to say:

1)"Bitch" is the term used for a female canine, whether in heat or not.
2) While applying the term to a human female can certainly be considered misogynistic, I would say in this case it is a greater insult to the canine.
3) I think "obnoxious lazy-ass" would be a better descriptive term in Diaperman's story, but I tend to kind of give people a pass on pejorative terms when discussing professional malpractice (by the nurse) that endangered his life.

I once read that almost every insulting word that is said in anger or scorn is an insult to the target's female relatives, and usually their mother. I definitely feel this to be unfair, and would love our language in general to be less biased.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diaperman95
AttilaThePun said:
1)"Bitch" is the term used for a female canine, whether in heat or not.
2) While applying the term to a human female can certainly be considered misogynistic, I would say in this case it is a greater insult to the canine.
Semantics. It doesn’t belong here. There are far more emotionally intelligent ways to complain about a bad experience than by labelling someone a bitch.

UrgentWees said:
Semantics. It doesn’t belong here. There are far more emotionally intelligent ways to complain about a bad experience than by labelling someone a bitch.
Please see my now-edited version of the comment to which you responded. I had fumble-fingers and grazed the post button on the way down to my return key.

UrgentWees said:
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😱😱 Well that women real was a real bitch and i do not for one moment fill bad for saying it. She could of killed me and certainly caused me a great deal of pain. I did explain why... and I never refer to women or men as anything but respectful unless they have done me wrong and deserve it I am not saying all women are bitches or all men are bastards or assholes or what ever . If I offend you by saying it I am sorry. But the word more than fits her as the bitch almost Killed Me because she was to lazy to do her F##king Job.

UrgentWees said:
I think I am one of the most respectful members here. I was not calling anyone here anything dis respectful. I have the upmost respect for women. I have called others out on this group before because someone told a story about how his spouse would not change him and praticipate in his fetish. Someone else said I would leave that B----h. I was the first to point out calling someone's wife that has nothing to do with yourself an bad word is not nice nor needed at ADISC. But this is so far from that. So I am sorry if it offends you. I am sure you have never referred to a man as a bastard or a asshole that has done you wrong.

I guess you could report it but I feel I have done no wrong. That is what I do when I see someone being unjustly mean to another member or race or sex. But this was not Unjust.. I should post her real name and all of her info I could find!

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun
bambinod said:
I've heard rumors that some hospitals charge outrageous prices for their (very thin) diapers. What are your hospital diapers like, and what do they charge the patient?
I’m not sure of what they charge off the top of my head. I’m also at a children’s hospital now, but diapers are always pricey in the hospital. Our children’s/baby diapers are good quality, brand can vary. I’ve seen Pampers often. The adult diapers were awful quality, but not as bad as Depends

Reactions: MikeyD1981 and AttilaThePun
hanbanan said:
I’m not sure of what they charge off the top of my head. I’m also at a children’s hospital now, but diapers are always pricey in the hospital. Our children’s/baby diapers are good quality, brand can vary. I’ve seen Pampers often. The adult diapers were awful quality, but not as bad as Depends
Everything is overpriced from a hospital. And a lot. They do always give Huggies or luvs to new parents but I would not be a bit surprised if those kits they send Home are given to the hospital from the manufacturer.

But adult diapers they always go the cheapest. Most in the US use the blue wings brand. The hospital policy is to change them as soon as they are soiled. This prevents bed sores and rashes from using inadequate diapers but it also sales another over priced diaper. I bet money they are charging 4 to 6 bucks a diaper to your insurance.

I had a surgery and 2 day stay a couple of years ago at a hospital in fortworth texas. The overall bill they sent my insurance was $458,000

I had ra gastric pacemaker placed and the Insurance told them to kick rocks on that. They paid the hospital $13000 and told Me I owed about $1200 for my part and they wrote the rest off.

It is such a. BS scam how they charge people. That and I was looking over my bill a few times and seen things I know they never used. Like charging I me for maxi pads. I love the capabilities of our health care system but I hate the eBay they leverage people into going bankrupt.

bambinod said:
I've heard rumors that some hospitals charge outrageous prices for their (very thin) diapers. What are your hospital diapers like, and what do they charge the patient?
Bear in mind that the charge is not primarily for the diaper, but for the nurse or aide's time to change you.

--John
(double incontinent)

hanbanan said:
At the risk of thread drift it always shocks me how everything is itemized in the US hospital system. In Canada if you’re in, you’re in. They use what they need on the patient and that’s it. The only extra thing charged is for private rooms vs semi private. Usually a $75 dollar a day up charge. Btw, as good as all this sounds there are unacceptable wait times for many tests and treatments. Some sort of hybrid system is inevitable.
Back on topic, last I saw in Ontario the prevailing diaper was the green Tena briefs.

Yeah to back up what @Subtlerustle said, in Canada we mostly use cheap Tena ones that are very thin. The green is medium and the large is yellow and I haven't worn one yet but I think they are pretty terrible. I have told the staff I deal with incontinence at night and sometimes in the day but didn't bring diapers to my last day surgery in September. I really regretted it as I wet myself after the surgery and while I know it wasn't a big deal it still felt embarrassing and avoidable.
I would only ever wear a white medical diaper to a hospital, but that's just my preference.

Reactions: Subtlerustle and AttilaThePun
jdinvirginia said:
Bear in mind that the charge is not primarily for the diaper, but for the nurse or aide's time to change you.

--John
(double incontinent)
Good point! However, if the patient is able to change their own diaper, and does change their own diaper, and the hospital doesn't discount for every self-changed diaper... that's fraud. And I say that as a retired radiologic technologist with a 40-year history in healthcare.

Reactions: jdinvirginia, winterheart01 and Subtlerustle
AttilaThePun said:
Good point! However, if the patient is able to change their own diaper, and does change their own diaper, and the hospital doesn't discount for every self-changed diaper... that's fraud. And I say that as a retired radiologic technologist with a 40-year history in healthcare.
true, but I bet they write this thing down on every patient that needs diapers, they won't keep tabs on who changes himself and who doesn't because it is a "little " extra effort that means less money for them :s

As for the hospital diapers: in belgian hospitals and nursing homes, I know from the factory (Ontex) that they buy the B class diapers with a small manufacturing error , such as a misaligned tape or a wrong plastic cut or a bit less SAP/pulp filling, I bought them myself a while, they're not that bad if you buy the thickest ones, but the hospitals literally buy the thinnest ones, or the almost thinnest ones (depends from hospital).
It's not only to reduce costs for them but indeed because they change more often, especially with fecal incontinent people. Though nursing homes make a terrible mistake here: they let their residents sit far too long in a soiled diaper, even if they pushed the button for help or are mentally/physically no longer able to.

winterheart01 said:
true, but I bet they write this thing down on every patient that needs diapers, they won't keep tabs on who changes himself and who doesn't because it is a "little " extra effort that means less money for them :s

As for the hospital diapers: in belgian hospitals and nursing homes, I know from the factory (Ontex) that they buy the B class diapers with a small manufacturing error , such as a misaligned tape or a wrong plastic cut or a bit less SAP/pulp filling, I bought them myself a while, they're not that bad if you buy the thickest ones, but the hospitals literally buy the thinnest ones, or the almost thinnest ones (depends from hospital).
It's not only to reduce costs for them but indeed because they change more often, especially with fecal incontinent people. Though nursing homes make a terrible mistake here: they let their residents sit far too long in a soiled diaper, even if they pushed the button for help or are mentally/physically no longer able to.
Unfortunately, many nursing homes in the USA also have reputations for residents sitting in soiled diapers far too long. Sometimes due to understaffing, sometimes due to laziness, or poor training, or whatever else may be a factor.

When I was sectioned in a psych hospital in June. I was wearing a Tena slip active fit, on intake a Junior doctor was asking me questions about my medical history, He did the EGT tests, etc. He wanted me to do a piss test and I had to tell him I was incontinent and unable to do it, he acted quite shocked that I was incontinent. I'm 37 so not that young. Also because I was committed to going 24/7 I had my supported living manager bring in a box of Active Fits that evening, they were kept in storage and I had to ask a nurse or a healthcare assistant to fetch me 4/5/6 at a time and on a hectic ward they wasn't very discreet and they were in clear view in their hands., also I was not allowed any plastic bags in my room (or any of the rooms on the ward) so had to leave used nappies piled up on my bathroom flood (onsuite rooms) And the staff had to clean them up everyday. On one occasion they didn't do it for 2 days and when they did after me complaining they used a see though transparent bag (instead of the yellow clinical wastes ones) and it was clearly filled with used nappies. They walked all the way down the hallway in front view of most of the patients, One loudly said '' ewwww Nappies''' I put a complaint in about it but nothing happened. It pissed me off.

• Angry
Back