Diabetes and Incontinents

BABYTIGERCUB

ABDLIC
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I've been a diabetic for 30 years I've been on oral diabetic meds had 3 rounds of pancreatitis 2 years ago it damaged the cells that produce insulin, my insulin production has dropped off just went on insulin and my urinary incontinence has increased spoke with urologist and endocrinologist about it taking insulin can be a problem as well as diabetes itself can cause nerve and blood vessel damage leading to urinary and or fecal incontinence does anyone here that is diabetic have any issues with incontinence because of diabetes thanks for any response?

Reactions: sledder23, AttilaThePun and Edgewater
I got 2 opinions on my incontinence. From 2 different urologist. 1 said from diabetic nerve damage. The other said from my spinal issues. It's still nerve related either way.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Edgewater and BABYTIGERCUB
I am diabetic and profoundly urinary incontinent and dependant on nappies 24/7 I have been diagnosed as having nerve damage which causes my incurable incontinence

Last edited:
Reactions: sledder23, AttilaThePun, Edgewater and 3 others
Type 2 diabetes, enlarged prostate, urge incontinence and over active bladder. I have chosen to use a pubic pressure urinal and nappies rather than a TURPs operation as my urologist said there was no guarantees that things would get better and could even get worse requiring an indwelling catheter.

Reactions: sledder23, AttilaThePun, Edgewater and 3 others
So I can say something in this respect that this theory was also in my room. In my case, it was ultimately a combination of herniated discs and BPH.

When it comes to a bladder disorder due to diabetic neuropathy, you can usually see it quite well in MRI. This is partly due to the fact that in this case the feet and legs are almost always affected first and there are first paresis and sensitivity restrictions before the bladder is affected. In the case of the bladder, this usually starts with a loss of feeling. When this happens, the inflammations are usually so advanced that they are also visible in the MRI.

I also had no more feeling in the bladder and pain and numbness in my legs. Therefore, my first suspicion was that it had to do with diabetes. But that was not the case with me - because although I only had moderate back pain, you could see several spinal cord compressions in the MRI, which then turned out to be part of the cause. There were no foci of inflammation in my case.

Reactions: sledder23, AttilaThePun, Constantlydamp and 3 others
I have been diabetic since I was 3. I’m 40 now so my diabetes is 37 years old. I have diabetic polyneuropathy and have nocturnal incontinence. At night I’m dependent on diapers. I can absolutely empathize with you.

I am also Type II diabetic. When i discussed my issues with my doctor at the time about my OAB. She said about 40% of diabetics have incontinence issues, and it was the reason she suggested diapers for me. Since then i have become fully urge incontinent, have IBS-D and become fecal incontinent, in all on my medical records. Of course my endocrinologist also knows too.

Reactions: sledder23, AttilaThePun, Constantlydamp and 4 others
I have been type-2 for 20+ years and started U-IC in 2020. My doc says nerve damage due to diabetes, though my urologist has said it's OAB. More recently, I have IBS-d, which is most concerning. I manage it mostly through diet (and giving up coffee). I have been taking insulin for the last 5+ years as well as Janumet twice daily. My brother suffers mostly with his legs and feet. I suffer with IC and with retinopathy but my feet are mostly ok.

Diabetes is no laughing matter folks. If you have it, take it seriously.

Constantlydamp said:
Type 2 diabetes, enlarged prostate, urge incontinence and over active bladder. I have chosen to use a pubic pressure urinal and nappies rather than a TURPs operation as my urologist said there was no guarantees that things would get better and could even get worse requiring an indwelling catheter.
As long as it somehow runs, this is probably the best option. I also talked to my urologist about it. He said I should come to him right away when I notice that nothing comes anymore or I have the feeling that I have more residual urine. That's how long he recommends waiting with the operation, because at the moment it seems to stabilize each other. If I have the prostate operated on now, it may be that the incontinence is even worse afterwards than now because the resistance that the prostate puts against it then disappears.

Reactions: sledder23, AttilaThePun, Constantlydamp and 2 others
As you have likely noticed, diabetes and incontinence is fairly commonly here.

My incontinence is due to a car crash now 45 years ago and the resulting surgeries. As I have aged I have begun experiencing Type II diabetic. I am taking medications and managing my Type II.

Welcome and be welcomed to ADISC and the IC Forum!!

Reactions: sledder23, AttilaThePun, Constantlydamp and 2 others
So, I'm maybe diebetic, having some odd issues with BP and Kidney shut downs AKI from low BP/Flow

As that is, I know that diabetes will cause more urine production trying to flush out the albumen(sp?)/sugar from your body.

Then there is the nerve damage, I've got a lot of nerve damage, but i do know that diebetes causes nerve damage of the extremities (At least first).

So, I'm not sure about it to the point of bladder feeling/nerves first.

Now, i know when i had a bladder infection, I was passing urine almost every min of the day and it was painful, that even once the antibiotics took care of the infection I was still passing urine all the time for quite a while, and took alot of training to get back to holding it like i could (within 2-3 mins of a toilet)...

So, whilst I'm NOT a dr, but I'd think youd notice other nero issues before bladder issues. But anything is possible...I have High and Low BP now, so go figure.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, DiapAuthor, Constantlydamp and 2 others
Bigbabybret said:
albumen(sp?)/sugar from your body.
Albumin is the spelling but you’re right in the rest of the post. I did have neuralgia before my neurogenic bladder. Because of that, by the time I knew I need to pee t night: it’s too late. I can usually catch myself when I’m awake.

Reactions: sledder23, AttilaThePun and Edgewater
DiapAuthor said:
Albumin is the spelling but you’re right in the rest of the post. I did have neuralgia before my neurogenic bladder. Because of that, by the time I knew I need to pee t night: it’s too late. I can usually catch myself when I’m awake.
Thanks I dont use the auto incorrect as a rule, but was too lazy to lookup the spelling at the time... :)

I'm very similar, if i'm awake and very near a bathroom, i'm 90% going to be ok, But if i'm out, i'm in a wheelchair for anything more than a few feet. That and who knows how close a bathroom will be. Then even at home the 10% isnt worth a chance, so at home i use the bathroom but usually have a diaper on, as if i cant make it, i also cant stop it.

So, minus a time like now, just went to the bathroom, and took a shower (early dr appt over an hour away), I'll air out a bit before getting dressed to goto the dr.

As it is, I wear megamax 99% the time, home and out close to 24/7 for many years now.

Reactions: sledder23, AttilaThePun, Edgewater and 2 others
docein1 said:
I am also Type II diabetic. When i discussed my issues with my doctor at the time about my OAB. She said about 40% of diabetics have incontinence issues, and it was the reason she suggested diapers for me. Since then i have become fully urge incontinent, have IBS-D and become fecal incontinent, in all on my medical records. Of course my endocrinologist also knows too.
The incontinence nurse I see says the same that many diabetics are incontinent.

Reactions: Constantlydamp, sledder23, AttilaThePun and 1 other person
Wetshisbed said:
When I first was diagnosed as diabetic, the volunteer nurses had a bunch of us attend a meeting to share some information. I recall them telling us that some of us would become incontinent. I laughed and brushed it off at the time. But who's laughing now?

Reactions: Constantlydamp, sledder23, Edgewater and 1 other person
slimjiminy said:
I have been type-2 for 20+ years and started U-IC in 2020. My doc says nerve damage due to diabetes, though my urologist has said it's OAB. More recently, I have IBS-d, which is most concerning. I manage it mostly through diet (and giving up coffee). I have been taking insulin for the last 5+ years as well as Janumet twice daily. My brother suffers mostly with his legs and feet. I suffer with IC and with retinopathy but my feet are mostly ok.

Diabetes is no laughing matter folks. If you have it, take it seriously.
I've heard Janumet can cause diarrhea - do you suspect that contributes to your IBS-d?

slimjiminy said:
When I first was diagnosed as diabetic, the volunteer nurses had a bunch of us attend a meeting to share some information. I recall them telling us that some of us would become incontinent. I laughed and brushed it off at the time. But who's laughing now?
I've never seen a nurse laugh at incontinence, and I've been around a lot of nurses! I think at worst they'd now be tsk-tsking or tut-tutting. But I know what you mean.

Wetshisbed said:
I think you have to take a closer look. Not every diabetic gets diabetic feet and incontinence. This happens when you don't do anything against it and the (long-term) sugar level are too high over a long period of time.

The first reaction of the body to a too high sugar level is that it tries to get rid of the sugar via the urine from a certain level. Therefore, the large drinking quantities and the resulting amounts of urine are a first urgent warning sign that something does not work well here. With a well-adjusted diabetes, exactly that should not happen. If you ignore it, the inflammations will come at some point because of the high sugar levels. Mostly first on the feet, later also on the nervous system - and here often the sensation of the bladder is affected. In consequence a diabetic caused incontinence often looks like a reflex incontinence with all of its dangers. How ever - when the spine is affected nearly all versions of neurological bladder disfunctions are possible. But if this happens something went seriously wrong with the therapy before…

Reactions: sledder23 and Edgewater
AttilaThePun said:
I've heard Janumet can cause diarrhea - do you suspect that contributes to your IBS-d?
The Metformin that is in Janumet is a primary cause. But I also know that it is food related as well. Even just a little non-alcoholic apple cider, for example, will clean me right out.

I've never seen a nurse laugh at incontinence, and I've been around a lot of nurses! I think at worst they'd now be tsk-tsking or tut-tutting. But I know what you mean.
It was me that was laughing (at the time), not the nurses.

Reactions: sledder23 and Edgewater
slimjiminy said:
The Metformin that is in Janumet is a primary cause. But I also know that it is food related as well. Even just a little non-alcoholic apple cider, for example, will clean me right out.

It was me that was laughing (at the time), not the nurses.
I figured, but you had said "who's laughing now?", which I took to mean that perhaps now it's the nurse's turn to laugh.

Back