Detecting and getting rid of urine smell

kdlstarry9

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
  4. Other
Does anyone else have issues even detecting and smelling their own urine smell after a while? Other people saying that you smell but you can't smell it? How do you stay odor free and store your used diapers until you have time to throw it away on garbage days?

Reactions: CrayonRocket and BBBen
Tena wash is the only thing I've found that deals with the smell and we have a wheelie bin so I get rid of my stuff on a daily basis. Don't think I've ever become nose blind to the smell of urine and ive been Incontinent for many many years.

Reactions: MamaInHerPajamas, Edgewater, BigAl2 and 1 other person
My sense of smell is week. But i can smell my diapers in the pail come morning. Every morning they go out to the trash can.

Reactions: MamaInHerPajamas and Edgewater
Taking used disposable diapers to permanent trash containers outside of one's home is step-one!!
Clearing the area that you change your diaper is next as droplets of urine collect and will stink with time.
Keeping yourself hydrated is very important as it keeps your urine light in color and low in swell!
Take a shower at the very least, once a day! Strongly, consider removing the hair around your privates!
Wash your bedding at the very least, twice a week!
When 'others' are telling you that you smell like urine, you have become sloppy regarding your personal hygiene and are not washing your clothing and not keeping your home clean!!
Time to let your adult self keep you and your home much cleaner!!

Reactions: daylight, 247, AUG168 and 2 others
Edgewater said:
Strongly, consider removing the hair around your privates!
Do you just TRIM or do you SHAVE down there?

I used to shave down there years ago, but I remember the skin getting really bumpy and irritated (from a combination of the Razor and the Urine.)

I'm considering doing just a close trim, would that make a significant difference in smell?

What about diaper absorption? Does the lack of hair around the mailbox help with diaper leaks do you think?????

Reactions: Edgewater
I have absolutely no issues with urine smell anywhere in our home because of a few small things I do that make a huge difference.

1 - used diapers immediately get bagged and taken out to the bin outdoors. I don't leave any in the house for more than a day.
2 - if I leak on clothes or bedding, it immediately goes into the wash. No exceptions!

As for urine smell on yourself, there are a few things I do that minimize odors that a lot of people have already mentioned.

1 - my genitals are always shaved. This is my personal preference, but it also keeps odors to a minimum.
2 - This is probably the biggest one - stay hydrated! Concentrated urine ALWAYS smells much stronger than diluted urine. Don't overdo it of course, but you will notice a huge difference with odors if your urine is diluted.
3 - Don't stay in a wet diaper for a long period of time. Fresh urine doesn't smell nearly as intensely as stale urine. Its also better for your skin. Even though diapers pull away most of the wetness, you're still pressed up against it for long stretches of time.
4 - Powder up! Powder does wonders for keeping you smelling fresh, especially during that "first wet". It wears off after that, but every little bit helps.

Hope these tips are helpful 😄

Reactions: CrayonRocket, MamaInHerPajamas, 247 and 2 others
Keep well hydrated. Babies drink a lot 🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼, I sure try. It dilutes the urine smell considerably. And use baby wipes at every diaper change! 🥳🤭

Quick P.S.: if you drink anything else that has a sweetener involved, avoid everything that has "aspartame" or "NutraSweet" in it! Those sweeteners are aspartic acid, made from asparagus, all of which are hard on your kidneys due to high amounts of the amino acid phenylalanine. Remember how people say asparagus makes your urine smell bad? Bingo.

And if you have phenylketonuria, the Mayo Clinic states phenylalanine "can cause intellectual disability, brain damage, seizures, and skin & other problems". It can harm you badly, even potentially kill you. No bueno. 🫢

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and JulestheFloof
diapeybabybrian said:
Do you just TRIM or do you SHAVE down there?

I used to shave down there years ago, but I remember the skin getting really bumpy and irritated (from a combination of the Razor and the Urine.)

I'm considering doing just a close trim, would that make a significant difference in smell?

What about diaper absorption? Does the lack of hair around the mailbox help with diaper leaks do you think?????
Trimming is as much an art as shaving! Get the clipper too close and it will cut the skin and like with a razor you now have a cut to contain with. Using the multi-blades that the 'ladies' are using will greatly reduce cutting yourself and getting a closer shave. I strongly believe in using shaving cream for all the reasons I use it on my face! Remember: Always pull away and never side-shift a razor or trimmer! Bumps and irritation comes from a dull razor and commonly comes from urine exposure (change your diaper more often).

Trimming in place of shaving is an alternative and I have tried both. I elected to return to shaving as I'm just better at shaving. As you know, grow-out is a bit quicker with trimming, but not by much. I use a light dusting of baby powder on the guys and the shaved area.

I have found that most folks do not understand that to obtain minimal leaks requires that the disposable diaper is prepared properly! It requires that the diaper if folded length-wise onto itself and a fold is set into place along its length. Turn it over and repeat on the other side. You will note that the two fold points cause by packaging tends to come out, which opens the gusset. Prior to putting it on, assure that the diaper is stretched length wise to confirm that the side-guards stand and that they are not compressed for some reason. After the diaper is in place assure that the fold created a gusset and that the gusset is set by pushing down with your finger.

Medium to high-capacity, Premium diapers help greatly in limiting leaks! Plus, I wear a diaper cover regardless of day or night as it is a reality that at some point, 'all diapers will leak!'

Last edited:
Reactions: CrayonRocket, diapeybabybrian and BobbiSueEllen
I use a Norelco body groom.

Reactions: Edgewater and BobbiSueEllen
Ooo at risk of sounding controversial I kept my hair found that having long hair down there helps with the fight against rashes, that could just be me but I tried shaving it and it did not go down well. The hair works for me as long as I shower daily, drink lots and apply a good helping if Tena wash every few days. Your selection of incontinence pad will help a lot with smell too most good medical brands keep smelly locked away.

Reactions: Edgewater, CrayonRocket, MamaInHerPajamas and 1 other person
One addition - Plastic Pants

My wife recently complained that washing my onesies with the rest of the wash makes the clothes come out not smelling fresh. At first I pushed back and then I thought about it further. Even with plastic backed disposables there can be pinprick leaks when saturated. This soon becomes evident if you wear plastic pants over PE backed diapers and smell the pants when you change. I found occasionally there was a smell and vapour inside when I hadn’t experienced a noticeable leak.

So this brings me to my point.

Either wash clothing worn over your diaper/nappy separately so as not to contaminate the families wash

or

Prevent your clothes acquiring odour by using plastic pants

Additionally, plastic pants seem to be able to absorb odour. I soak my pants in water with a drip of scented oil.

Reactions: CrayonRocket, BobbiSueEllen and MamaInHerPajamas
247 said:
Additionally, plastic pants seem to be able to absorb odour. I soak my pants in water with a drip of scented oil.
I had wash my plastic pants with a bit of vinegar. The acetic acid neutralizes the base of ammonia.

After a brief soak of weak vinegar, I wash with a drop of antibacterial hand soap (hand soap does not strip oils). Then follow with rinses. Don't go crazy with vinegar strength because it will react with the vinyl. Only a mild vinegar solution is needed to eliminate the smell.

Reactions: 247 and Edgewater
Back