Dealing with death

srmousse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Trigger warning… this is about my mom’s passing. It’s been nearly 20 years, but I am only now dealing with the reality that she took her own life.

Her life was hard, especially the last ten or so years. She was miss diagnosed with MS, when really she had pseudo tumor Cerbri… means fake tumor in the brain. Her spinal cord produced too much fluid leaving her with chronic debilitating migraines and eventually the high pressure took her eyesight. All could have been prevented if they had diagnosed her sooner. After she lost her eyesight, I left high school my sophomore year, opting for independent studies so I could help care for her. A decade later, right after I got married and before my brothers first baby was born, we got a call that her heart had stopped. All of the prescription narcotics finally took the ultimate toll on her life. None of us could understand, she had just been doing so much better… the last week she was happier then ever, feeling better then ever, she spent hours on the phone talking with her three kids, telling us how proud she was of us. How much she loved us. A blessing, to be sure. But, this was all, I now know, a final breath, a peaceful sigh knowing relief would finally arrive.

Our family never talked about it, my dad requested no autopsy… in his words, we know the cause, her heart failed, don’t waste the money…we all just quietly dealt with our grief and did our best to push on with life.

But, nearly 20 years later, here I am, on some kind of twisted internal annual clock, cycling through depression and anger, never understanding why never able to fully break free…

Until one day, last year, I was at a worship night at church, wrestling with God, asking all they why questions, trying to uncover the root of this anger. Or worship pastor finished the song they were on, and started talking. He said something about unforgiveness, so I started listening. He talked about needing to forgive so we, ourselves, can receive forgiveness and freedom. “Who do you need to forgive” he asked? I didn’t know, so I spent a few minutes praying, asking God. Then it hit me, right in the face, like a ton of bricks, like pulling duct tape off your hairy arm, like getting smacked in the balls by your three year old kid. I knew it was my mom, I knew in that moment she had taken her own life. I was wrecked. I had no choice but to deal with it, the Pandora’s box had been opened. I spent the rest of the hour weeping and snuck out before they dismissed to not have to face anyone. I called my older brother the next day, and asked him straight up… is this what happened? Yeah, he said, why do you think I spent three years in grief counseling. I called my big sister, same thing. It took me several weeks of wrestling before I finally was able to write this poem.

Warning…it is a heavy poem. It is raw. It is very real. It is not something I feel I can share publicly as some of our extended family just wouldn’t understand… so I’m sharing it here. Please don’t listen unless you are in the right headspace.

Please let me know what you think.

• Wow
Reactions: Deleted member 69668, KBoy, Subtlerustle and 2 others
srmousse, I know what you are going through, as my mother took her life when I was a young boy.

I think that she was never the same after she contracted jaundice. In short, she became agoraphobic, not able to go outside. She was also prescribed valium, which was the "go-to" drug in the 1970s.

I can remember the arguments she had with my sister. One day, she made me hide with her in the garden shed, as she knew that this would freak my sister out.

The day of her death is forever burned into my memory. I was in the first year at Secondary Modern School. Our class had been on a field trip to a local farm. After school, I had my usual lift home with my Dad on his motorbike. When we got home, something was wrong - the front door was locked. My Dad had a spare key. I ran upstairs and into my parent's bedroom. My mum was lying on the bed with her head in a plastic bag and a bottle of tablets nearby. I screamed. God how I screamed.

My father was never the same after her death, although time eased the pain. I can remember soon after my mum's death, how I blamed my sister. There were still arguments, only this time between my sister and my father If he did something that irritated her, she would mutter under her breath. In the end, he would just go to bed out of the way. (I have a theory that my sister was doing through some hormonal thing).

Things changed when she got married and moved to the North Norfolk coast. She eventually had two girls (now grown up).

The thing is that how different she became - my relationship with her is very strong and has been so for many years. I feel ashamed of myself for blaming her for my mum's death. In recent years, I now realise that it was illness, both physical and mental that led to my mother's death.

What I have said in this thread was very difficult for me. I was very close to my mum, and I still carry that trauma inside me and will probably do so for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: KBoy, Subtlerustle, Edgewater and 1 other person
For both of you a huge air hug and Prayers for comfort as memories come and go as emotions do as well. I have never seen a satisfactory set of words that are successful in bring comfort. I have heard words that say that they believed that their loved ones would be better-off without them, but I cannot believe that would be of help.

We know that is not the case. We pray they have found pease and are now in comfort. For those who are still picking-up the pieces, may you find a way of forgiving them and find a way to provide yourselves comfort in the life you are living, as it is seen and they are happy that those they loved are surviving as they had hoped for.

The Poem is Heartfelt and Comforting, with hope it is helping you!

Last edited:
Reactions: KBoy, PadPhilosopher and Sissyleslie
Edgewater said:
For both of you a huge air hug and Prayers for comfort as memories come and go as emotions do as well. I have never seen a satisfactory set of words that are successful in bring comfort. I have heard words that say that they believed that their loved ones would be better-off without them, but I cannot believe that would be of help.

We know that is not the case. We pray they have found pease and are now in comfort. For those who are still picking-up the pieces, may you find a way of forgiving them and find a way to provide yourselves comfort in the life you are living, as it is seen and they are happy that those they loved are surviving as they had hoped for.

The Poem is Heartfelt and Comforting, with hope it is helping you!
Thank you, Edgewater, your kind words are greatly appreciated and helpful.

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Sissy, thank you so much for sharing that pain with me/us. I’m so sorry you had to endure that so young! This is something no child should have to endure. I was 24, and I know how very hard this was for me…

am learning, by bearing able to say these things out loud, it somehow creates a release inside of us. I hope and pray that if you haven’t already, you can find some level of peace and forgiveness for your mother. Forgiving her is so much less about her and not at all excusing her of her actions. No, it’s 100% about you, and allowing yourself to be free from the bonds that keep you entangled in her choices.

Sending hugs and love!

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, KBoy, Sissyleslie and 1 other person
It's been 25 years since my mother past away and the pain never go's away, you will always think of her most of the time like birthdays (yours and hers,) easter, exmas and other family occasions.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and KBoy
srmousse said:
Sissy, thank you so much for sharing that pain with me/us. I’m so sorry you had to endure that so young! This is something no child should have to endure. I was 24, and I know how very hard this was for me…

am learning, by bearing able to say these things out loud, it somehow creates a release inside of us. I hope and pray that if you haven’t already, you can find some level of peace and forgiveness for your mother. Forgiving her is so much less about her and not at all excusing her of her actions. No, it’s 100% about you, and allowing yourself to be free from the bonds that keep you entangled in her choices.

Sending hugs and love!
Thank you for your kind words and thoughts, srmousse, I am touched by your compassion. Even though there is a pain deep inside, I am able to carry on with everyday life. My parents may no longer be alive (my father died of a heart attack), but they will always be with me in my thoughts and memories.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
My mum passed away unexpectedly that was over 6 years ago and I can’t get over losing her, if I’m honest I’m a shell of who I was, it’s like life went cold and dark when we lost her and now I’m just waiting here for my life to pass me by, i don’t know if you ever really come to terms with it, she probably felt the same when we lost my sister but I was too young to remember but what I did know the hurt never went away for them. I’ve been told with time you learn to accept things bit I don’t know, every time I look at her photo on the wall it hurts but she’s in a better place now (my mum) because she would have hated lockdown and Covid and she wouldn’t like the way this world is going. My only wish is that I could have given her grand kids but I couldn’t bare to bring life in to the world with my beliefs and outlook on the world either

• Love
  • Thinking
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater, CptKirk and 1 other person
I am sorry for your losses, all of you...
My father's alcoholism led to his death and I have lost freinds to drugs and suicide.
Now my wife just finished battling cancer and every doctors appointment is a fearful event.
All that I can really say is...
Be thankful for the love that we have in life.
Love ourselves our families and friends
And try to be brave
Good thoughts good intentions good deeds always

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater, CptKirk and 1 other person
I know it’s cliche but I truely am so sorry for your loss I really could not imagine losing my mom like that. It is truelly a heartbreaking though. I will pray for your healing.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and KBoy
babyraggydolls said:
My mum passed away unexpectedly that was over 6 years ago and I can’t get over losing her, if I’m honest I’m a shell of who I was, it’s like life went cold and dark when we lost her and now I’m just waiting here for my life to pass me by, i don’t know if you ever really come to terms with it, she probably felt the same when we lost my sister but I was too young to remember but what I did know the hurt never went away for them. I’ve been told with time you learn to accept things bit I don’t know, every time I look at her photo on the wall it hurts but she’s in a better place now (my mum) because she would have hated lockdown and Covid and she wouldn’t like the way this world is going. My only wish is that I could have given her grand kids but I couldn’t bare to bring life in to the world with my beliefs and outlook on the world either
I understand your feeling of lose and its unfairness. But, your dear Mother would have chosen to stay longer, sadly for you both, she was not provided that choice. Whether passing young or with age, the pain of their loss is real. If they could stand before us, they would ask us to live the life they had wished for us and bring them comfort in knowing we work daily to live our lives fully engaged.

Time never stops and we are provided this day and the next, etc.. to live it in a way that they will be proud of us. Live your life as they would have wished for us!

• Love
Reactions: KBoy and PadPhilosopher
Its just over 2 years since I lost my mum. my dad went about 16 yrs ago. I think about them both at least once every day. fond memories of driving down to north devon to see them in their lovely immaculate house. and the garden so lovely even in the winter months. and how it all went to rack n ruin at the end.
Doesn't matter what happens or what people do in the world, you all ways have your memories.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater
Back