Crotch shots as marketing?

PCS

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Had a look on the UK DryNites website for the first time in ages and noticed that a lot
of the advertising images of DryNites now seem to be crotch shots, including one shot of a bulging wet DryNite.

What the actual…?

Very odd.

Reactions: Hell2DaNaw
In one word "Disgusting !"
What are these people thinking ?
Dirty diaper crotch shots sells diapers ?
Certainly this is not done as a fantasy for those that like big bulging diapers.

• Love
Reactions: wearforsafety and littledub1955
Consider the target audience for the intended users of the product. Yeah it might seem less than savory, but you have to assume that it's parents that are browsing that website.

Reactions: Jamas and Canadianfalls
Yeah, looking at the website, I see what you're talking about. As an American, I think this is a bit strange.

Reactions: littledub1955
While I get they're showing there diaper in real life the focus on the crotch does seem inappropriate.

Reactions: littledub1955 and theancientmariner
I saw it too. Strange indeed. I wonder why they thought taking such provocative photo of a young man was a good idea.

Reactions: wearforsafety and littledub1955
I'm good with it.

I mean I think the idea was to show parents the whole “wow these really do look like real underwear.” The way of conveying this message is…questionable, though at least they didn’t appear to be used 🫠

Probably for a similar reason to abdl crotch shots. The model doesn’t want anyone to see their face.

Reactions: diaperkool
Its advertising there property its weird when you make it weird

Reactions: theancientmariner, Joediaper and BigAl2
I think it's important to remember perspective... They're marketing them as underwear, and shots like that are fairly typical in underwear marketing (much more so for adult underwear, but it's still not uncommon for youth products), so it helps to reinforce the notion that they're just like underwear, by similarly implying there's nothing unusual about pictures of them. Doing shots like that keeps it in line with their ever-present marketing campaign about how much they resemble normal underwear.

It's also worth noting that, folded up, as they are fresh out of the package, they're very clearly a diaper of some sort. The rectangular shape of the pad is glaringly obvious. They don't really begin to lose any of that diaper appearance and really look like underwear until they're being worn, and conforming to the shape of a person's body. As an example, if you go look at the product pages for GoodNites on Target's website, they have GoodNites folded up in dresser or nightstand drawers (they did some odd things on those product shots...the prints on some of the GoodNites are simulated, while others are real; I suspect they may have changed the prints after doing the photo shoot), and...they're very obviously a diaper (let's not get into the debate on what is and isn't a diaper right now). It ends up running counter to the goal of trying to promote them as underwear, even when presented in an underwear drawer. It just looks like diapers in an underwear drawer. Those images also include kids wearing the GoodNites, and from a marketing perspective, it works a lot better than the shots of GoodNites in a drawer.

Close-ups of what's basically a diaper, actively being worn, may be a bit distasteful, but they're also not unusual for baby diaper marketing, nor for training pant marketing. The kids wearing them are certainly at an age where privacy and modesty are more of a social norm, but...welcome to marketing. It's always trying to push boundaries, and especially in a context where they're trying to normalize older kids wearing what are, effectively, diapers, they want to push those boundaries as much as possible. It's the only way to accomplish that goal.

Speaking of DryNites... Those shots highlights an odd design element... I think it's showed up on Pull-Ups New Leaf in the US, as well. All the boys versions (well, not the smallest DryNites size) have a printed tab with buttons in the front, at the waistband. Does anyone know what that's even supposed to represent? I've never seen that on real underwear, and the only things I can think of for practical uses of such a design on real underwear are for tethering the underwear to either a shirt (keep your shirt from riding up) or pants (your underwear automatically goes up and down with your pants), or for holding a pocket closed, that would contain an absorbent insert on reusable training pants (which would be a really odd thing to include on the DryNites, and even on Pull-Ups, since they're supposed to look like regular, non-absorbent underwear). Unless it's some unusual sort of fly, where the entire front folds down, like the opposite of a butt flap on pajamas? The ones with the buttoned tab are missing the usual fly, and indeed, the smallest DryNites, that lack that buttoned tab, have a traditional fly...

Last edited:
Reactions: Joediaper, lucaD and BigAl2
Yeah I’ll be honest after looking at their site briefly, I didn’t notice anything very inappropriate. There didn’t seem to be any photos of soiled products. Though, if there are I would find that pretty objectionable. I just didn’t see anything like being prominently displayed on the site.

And as for crotch shots, to me it looks more like medium shots of a child’s midsection wearing the product. If someone asked me to do these product photos I’d probably have composed something similar. They’re not gratuitous right? I only saw one photo like that per a product page.

I don’t know maybe my sensibilities are off but I usually have pretty good internal alarm bells for when things start to feel exploitative.

babylock1 said:
In one word "Disgusting !"
What are these people thinking ?
Dirty diaper crotch shots sells diapers ?
Certainly this is not done as a fantasy for those that like big bulging diapers.
I feel the same way.

None of them appear used to me... That would probably be crossing a line, but... I don't see anything more than just excess material bulging out, simply on account of the fact that each of these seem to be worn by people toward the lower end of each product's size range.

Reactions: Jamas and bambinobaby
Back