Crohn’s disease

AdamCM97

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I have Crohn’s disease and I find myself going to the bathroom a lot during the day and sometimes struggling to make it to the bathroom I’m currently getting treatment but even short term should I start wearing diapers to make life easier and if so can anyone recommend any products

AdamCM97 said:
I have Crohn’s disease and I find myself going to the bathroom a lot during the day and sometimes struggling to make it to the bathroom I’m currently getting treatment but even short term should I start wearing diapers to make life easier and if so can anyone recommend any products
Does your Crohns affect bladder and bowel ?

87dervaTheExplora said:
Does your Crohns affect bladder and bowel ?
Just bowel

How do you guys respond to the newer biological medications they have for Chron's? I only ask as if not for Kineret (Anakinra) my autoimmune issues likely would had destroyed far more of my already badly beat up body than it already has. The major downside is the fucking OUTRAGEOUS cost/month! I get mine through the VA (now, only took 30 fucking years!) but this shit goes for $3400/month! I have to fire in like $125/day injections.

Anyway, I hope you have solutions available to you. Having your own body turn against itself is fucking brutal! In 9 months I went from being able to bench press over 500lbs to not being able to stand, walk or go to the bathroom "normally"! Thankfully I'm back on my feet, at least the majority of the time but I could stand to live without the incessant non-stop pain!

CptKirk

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
So, my take.....yes, kinda. In your circumstances, I would wear something to catch an accident, because the cleanup will be so much easier, but I would still try to make it to the bathroom at least in public places, to be kind to those around you. At home, it would be perfectly understandable to let go instead of fighting to the point of pain to make the restroom, but in public, being kind to bystanders ought to be a consideration, plus cleanup on a BM in a diaper is an order of magnitude more difficult in a public bathroom than it is in your own. But if my colon were acting flaky like that, nothing could convince me not to wear a diaper, just in case.

Shaving there makes cleanup a ton easier. I recommend Magic red and white can shaving powder, and wrote about it pretty extensively here: https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/body-shaver-recommendations.173253/post-2273286

I'm sorry you're going through this, and hope you get it under control quickly.

PadPhilosopher said:
So, my take.....yes, kinda. In your circumstances, I would wear something to catch an accident, because the cleanup will be so much easier, but I would still try to make it to the bathroom at least in public places, to be kind to those around you. At home, it would be perfectly understandable to let go instead of fighting to the point of pain to make the restroom, but in public, being kind to bystanders ought to be a consideration, plus cleanup on a BM in a diaper is an order of magnitude more difficult in a public bathroom than it is in your own. But if my colon were acting flaky like that, nothing could convince me not to wear a diaper, just in case.

Shaving there makes cleanup a ton easier. I recommend Magic red and white can shaving powder, and wrote about it pretty extensively here: https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/body-shaver-recommendations.173253/post-2273286

I'm sorry you're going through this, and hope you get it under control quickly.
Thank you! Could you recommend any diapers?

AdamCM97 said:
Check into medical study in Iowa they may have cured Crohn's

AdamCM97 said:
Thank you! Could you recommend any diapers?
You have one of the rare (for this site) use cases where a pull up makes sense. You're trying to get to the bathroom, making it almost all of the time, and don't need help with urine. A quality pull up with standing leak guards would be my recommendation. There are many other threads where which ones are good is discussed, and as I don't use them myself, I can only say that Tranquility has some very nice products that are affordable if you live in the US. I'm inclined to suggest this https://www.llmedico.com/tranquility-daytime-pull-on-adult-absorbent-underwear/ but have never tried it myself. I use their taped ATN product, and can see that there are similarities in the build which I believe would make it a good choice for you. But, I am guessing.

Reactions: CptKirk and AdamCM97
PadPhilosopher said:
You have one of the rare (for this site) use cases where a pull up makes sense. You're trying to get to the bathroom, making it almost all of the time, and don't need help with urine. A quality pull up with standing leak guards would be my recommendation. There are many other threads where which ones are good is discussed, and as I don't use them myself, I can only say that Tranquility has some very nice products that are affordable if you live in the US. I'm inclined to suggest this https://www.llmedico.com/tranquility-daytime-pull-on-adult-absorbent-underwear/ but have never tried it myself. I use their taped ATN product, and can see that there are similarities in the build which I believe would make it a good choice for you. But, I am guessing.
I’ll definitely consider it thank you☺️

AdamCM97 said:
I’ll definitely consider it thank you☺️
You're welcome! I hope it helps you.

Another thing, too, you can wear the same one for a bit if it doesn't actually get used, just changing it at whatever intervals you replace your usual underwear.

PadPhilosopher said:
You're welcome! I hope it helps you.

Another thing, too, you can wear the same one for a bit if it doesn't actually get used, just changing it at whatever intervals you replace your usual underwear.
Would you say the pullups would be ok to sleep in aswell?

Since you're not having urine problems, absolutely! Urine is the Achilles heel on pullups.

Reactions: CptKirk and AdamCM97
The only possible bowel issue I can see regarding the pull-up style is if you have loose/watery stool. THEN you would DEFINITELY NOT want a pull-up type. I also agree with the Tranquility option as they make the best bang for the buck products you'll find in the US and being that you're not overly worried about capacity (urinary issues) they ought to REALLY work great for you. They make their ATN (All Through the Night) which has a PE (plastic) outer shell with adhesive tape tabs and an identical diaper with a cloth-like/breathable shell & Velcro tabs. The last time I bought them has been some time but they weren't much over the $1/piece price at that time and for bowel issues, they'll pretty much contain whatever you would need them for. If you're not dealing with "liquid ****", a pull-up ought to suit you just as well as the tape on diapers.

CptKirk

CptKirk said:
The only possible bowel issue I can see regarding the pull-up style is if you have loose/watery stool. THEN you would DEFINITELY NOT want a pull-up type. I also agree with the Tranquility option as they make the best bang for the buck products you'll find in the US and being that you're not overly worried about capacity (urinary issues) they ought to REALLY work great for you. They make their ATN (All Through the Night) which has a PE (plastic) outer shell with adhesive tape tabs and an identical diaper with a cloth-like/breathable shell & Velcro tabs. The last time I bought them has been some time but they weren't much over the $1/piece price at that time and for bowel issues, they'll pretty much contain whatever you would need them for. If you're not dealing with "liquid ****", a pull-up ought to suit you just as well as the tape on diapers.

CptKirk
I got ATNs in medium for 87 cents apiece from llmedico, not even on sale, just by the case. However, he lives in Ireland (I looked, finally) so I don't know if they're going to be available or economical there. There's sure to be something. Abena, Semi, and Molicare are all made in Europe, I think.

Nappies helped my anxiety regarding the lack of immediate access to WC.
Messing the nappy was a last resort as the clean up was a major task

CptKirk said:

CptKirk
Maybe I ought to go for the tape on diapers instead then but I’d have a few worries firstly aren’t they really obvious? And second would I be able to take it off and put it back on quickly if I need to use the bathroom at home or in public

AdamCM97 said:
Maybe I ought to go for the tape on diapers instead then but I’d have a few worries firstly aren’t they really obvious? And second would I be able to take it off and put it back on quickly if I need to use the bathroom at home or in public
They're not obvious unless you're being obvious about it. Some are designed to be huge, AB diapers, mostly, and those are pretty obvious. Specifically light weight diapers are made, too, and those are almost invisible under anything. Tight clothes make any diaper more obvious, though.

Quick removal is why I suggested a pull up over a taped product. Just zip it down like normal underwear. Taped products do exist which can be undone quickly, but they're all going to require more fiddling than any pullup. That said, they are better at containing liquid poo. If you're dealing with that, I'll second the recommendation for a taped product.

i wish i had some for when i had undiagnosed ulcerative proctitis. thankfully meds for me have stopped it

AdamCM97 said:
Please consider trying a Whole Food Plant Based way of eating for three months and see if you have improvement? Look at www.nutritionfacts.org and YouTube search of Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.

• Thinking
Adam, I am bowel incontinent and wear diapers (not pull-ups) 24/7. I can make some recommendations for good diapers.

First, they must fit your body shape and be snug around your thighs. The most expensive premium diaper will leak if it does not fit you.

Second, look for tall internal standing leak guards, in addition to elastic leg gathers. Look for 1 ½ to 2" tall.

Third, a plastic shell diaper is better for bowel incontinence that a breathable shell.

A good value (more affordable) brand is Better Dry. You can buy it online at LL Medico or XP Medical. This is my daily diaper as I also am bladder incontinent. However, do note that you do not need a high absorption rating for bowel incontinence. The Better Dry Day diaper has the great shell from the Better Dry, but with less absorption and at a lower price.

Another is the NorthShore Care Supreme diaper.

Another great (but pricier) example is Northshore Care's MegaMax.

--John
(double incontinent)

• Love
Back