Courage to use my nappy for No.2 whilst shoulder recovers

Zeke said:
You sent me running to Duck Duck Go to learn what ambi shooting is. Come to find out I’ve been doing it for many years. When I was doing my workouts for rehab and I was in excellent shape I used to shoot my Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag one handed, right or left, and was quite accurate at 25 and 50 yards. There’s no way that I’d try that today in the shape that I’m in now. I sold that wheel gun and I’ve been looking at a Sig P365XL 9mm for concealed carry. As far as overcoming, like I said I was raised by a Marine so it wasn’t optional around our house.
Raised by 2 left-handers, one of whom was a Marine, would *definitely* instill an attitude of the necessity to overcome!
Zeke said:
A little over 8 years ago I had a pacemaker installed and that tumor removal surgery that I had on my upper right arm and shoulder came back to bite me. Like I’ve said before I learned to shoot left handed from my lefty Marine father and that’s his hand dominance not his political leanings (I would have my ears boxed, even though he’s passed, if I didn’t include that disclaimer). Anyway, when the cardiac surgeon, that did the pacemaker surgery, said he couldn’t put it on my right side, where I wanted it to avoid the recoil from shooting left handed, because of a hollow on the inside my shoulder area in front where the pacemaker would be. I think that sunken area comes from when the deltoid muscles were reattached and they were bunched up leaving that hollow. He was concerned that there wouldn’t be any cushioning for the device in that depression. I’m due for a new battery in a couple of years and I’m going to ask if they can relocate it to that right side hollow otherwise I’m afraid that someday I might drop at the same time as the deer in my scope does when I send him one down range.
I've performed x-ray imaging on a great many people with pacemakers, many of whom had no cushioning to speak of for their devices. You might be able to convince him, especially in view of what recoil can do, if you make the argument of avoiding damage. Some of the devices have gotten a lot smaller in the past several years, too! Rerouting your leads to your right side might be a bit more complex than simply making an alternate pacemaker placement, though.

That being said, is there any external pad that can prevent recoil damage to your pacemaker in its current (no pun intended) location?

Reactions: Zeke and BigAl2
If she is taking care of you/cleaning you, she’s probably going to want you to do it in the toilet if you can help it. Maybe she likes cleaning up a huge mess of poop for your pleasure but I doubt it.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, BigAl2 and newt
iatec779 said:
If she is taking care of you/cleaning you, she’s probably going to want you to do it in the toilet if you can help it. Maybe she likes cleaning up a huge mess of poop for your pleasure but I doubt it.
I agree. If she is around to help change him, then she is around to help remove the diaper so he can use the toilet. And wipe. no need to mess a diaper unless SHE wants to clean it up

Reactions: AttilaThePun, iatec779 and BigAl2
I like that I have the protection for when I absolutely need it, but I have, in the past, pooped my diaper. It's NOT worth the cleanup. With your shoulder out of sorts, you definitely won't enjoy the enormous cleanup effort required. Unless your wife is more understanding than many, I wouldn't expect her to deal with it all by herself, not on a regular basis.

I would recommend get a temporary supply of diapers with hook&loop attachments, which are easier to put on single handed, as you can readjust afterwards as many times as you need.

Reactions: AttilaThePun
AttilaThePun said:
Raised by 2 left-handers, one of whom was a Marine, would *definitely* instill an attitude of the necessity to overcome!

I've performed x-ray imaging on a great many people with pacemakers, many of whom had no cushioning to speak of for their devices. You might be able to convince him, especially in view of what recoil can do, if you make the argument of avoiding damage. Some of the devices have gotten a lot smaller in the past several years, too! Rerouting your leads to your right side might be a bit more complex than simply making an alternate pacemaker placement, though.

That being said, is there any external pad that can prevent recoil damage to your pacemaker in its current (no pun intended) location?
My dad had a shooting jacket that he got from his gun club which had a built in recoil pad on his left shoulder. I suppose that I could wear some like that. I have a Medtronics MRI compatible pacemakers due to my neck injury and the possible need for future MRI’s, but I have no idea of how shock resistant it is. From what I understand the actual pacemaker circuitry takes up very little of the pacemaker’s total volume and the battery takes up the vast majority of it. The leads are a concern when it comes to moving the device, but I think that I’ll bring it up. Thanks for sharing your insider knowledge about this possibility.

Reactions: BigAl2 and AttilaThePun
I was just considering PrettyGirl76’s comment and it occurred to me that if your wife is going to help you by changing your messy diaper it might considerate of you, and less of a chore for her, if you were to start taking Nullo, or some other GI Tract deodorant to make her job less objectionable. Good luck on finding something acceptable for both of you through your period of recovery.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and BigAl2
Zeke said:
My dad had a shooting jacket that he got from his gun club which had a built in recoil pad on his left shoulder. I suppose that I could wear some like that. I have a Medtronics MRI compatible pacemakers due to my neck injury and the possible need for future MRI’s, but I have no idea of how shock resistant it is. From what I understand the actual pacemaker circuitry takes up very little of the pacemaker’s total volume and the battery takes up the vast majority of it. The leads are a concern when it comes to moving the device, but I think that I’ll bring it up. Thanks for sharing your insider knowledge about this possibility.
You're welcome! Aside from protecting the pacemaker itself - and the cases these days are usually titanium, so that's not much of a concern - you need to not bruise or tear your skin overlying the box. Even more so, you need to avoid breaking or dislodging the leads.

There are a number of products manufactured to cushion pacemakers externally, it seems. You might want to do an online search and see what crops up.

At the beginning, I used my right hand as my mostly dominant hand. However, I always had curiosity and alternated with the other for some minor tasks, like drinking from a bottle.

Three years ago, I managed to train it, so maybe I could give thee with some tips to help thee wipe by thyself.

For example, after wiping, thou couldst use some water and liquid soap to wash thy butt and a mitten to help thee make soap.

Perhaps it will be a bit difficult for thee at the beginning, but thou'lt eventually get used to it.

Thou hast the other suggestions as well 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun
Back