Conventions

thatoneoddball

Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
Hi I’m also interested in doing cosplay and conventions. I’ve never been and my dad promised me before he passed we’d go so if anyone likes to go to conventions can you tell me about them? I wanted to go to the one in Orgeon Eugene but I didn’t have anyone to go with me since I know it’s not safe to go by yourself. Also let me know if anyone likes to cosplay. Thanks!

Conventions are very different depending on which side of the table one is on!! I have been on both side as a product seller and a product buyer.

Try going to a very safe convention that is very common in most mid to large cities. Auto show, Boat Show, Outdoors Show, etc. As it will give you a comfort regarding crowds and a change to check-out specific discussions.

Yes, I know that you are talking about a more specific type of conventions, but what they are like is much the same, only the subject matter is different.

Reactions: thatoneoddball
Thank you! I’ve been to a few car shows but I’ll definitely take the suggestion

Reactions: Edgewater
I haven't been to any of the HUGE ones, but I've been to some decent sized ones cons. Haven't been to any post-COVID though.

If you want to get the most out of it, be prepared to walk and stand a lot. They usually have an itinerary online or at the entrance, so you can plan out your day. Talk to staff about potential cancellations. Study a map of the area beforehand if you can.

Don't assume you can use a card. Credit card readers WILL go down or not work at all at some tables. Bring a variety of cash. Every con I've been to I've had to break bills for strangers and help tables with their registers if they need more ones and fives.

I always bring a backpack to hold my water, camera, and purchases. I bring shopping bags to hold stuff too. I drop things off in the car when I get overloaded.

Hopefully, they let you bring food. I usually have a banana and a trail bar, but I still buy at least one meal. Always overpriced!

One big thing I learned - if you plan to buy art or autographs, make sure to buy sleeves or some kind of art folder beforehand. If they even have them, they often run out or charge too much for them. They often won't have thicker stiffer sleeves, just the thin ones.

As far as cosplay... Haven't done it! Make sure your costume is compatible with the local weather. I've seen a cosplayer suffer from heat stroke, and I've seen others shivering for extended periods of time. Be prepared for wanted and unwanted attention. Staff is there to help.

Reactions: Ecchi231, Edgewater and thatoneoddball
I can't speak for conventions in general, but I have been to a couple of furry conventions. I personally found them to be incredibly cliquish. Hopefully any conventions you attend will not be like that (this is anecdotal, but at the two conventions I attended, I found that one will pretty much be ignored unless they know someone from before the convention and can attend with them).

After what heard about Katso con I’m going to think if I truly want to go to one, but I appreciate the reply!

I’m hoping to attend Anthro Northwest (furry convention) in Seattle next year. It’s only a 1.5-hour drive from where I live, so it’s not a big commitment. I don’t have (and won’t have) a fursuit. I’m just curious about these kinds of events and it seems a bit silly not to check one out when I’m so near. I have been to other local conventions, for example BrickCon (Lego convention).

We’ll see!

Last edited:
I don't personally cosplay, but I enjoy seeing others in well-done costumes as I elaborated in another thread: https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/anime-fans-cosplayers.183128/

I've only attended a couple of conventions and did so alone, as none of my real-life friends or family are interested in such things. From my limited experience, conventions can be quite a lot of fun!

Back