Congratulations ๐ŸŽŠ ๐Ÿ‘!!! You lucky folk !

Kittyinpink

Asexual, pre - op transgender woman
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Yay !!! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
A shooting star just shot through my window! ๐ŸชŸ and a Genie popped out and shouted "I will grant everyone 1 wish ! All they need to do is answer this thread starting with "I wish I wish I wish."

I am going to start !
I wish I wish I wish . That I had a nice farm house surrounded by 100 acres of fertile farmland , with a shed made for making cheese and 12 happy , healthy goats ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ˜€..and two collie dogs ๐Ÿ• ๐Ÿ˜€. And a cupboard in my house filled with my favourite diapers and another cupboard filled with my favourite pacifiers !

Reactions: Jorelaxed
I wish I wish I wish, I had the ability to change the probability of anything with just a thought.

This is the single most over powered super power ever to exist!

Here is an example of why...

My first alteration will be the probability of getting more wishes from the genie to 100%, and the probability of those wishes going badly or backfiring to 0%.
Second alteration is my probability of winning the Euro lottery jackpot this week to 100%
Third alteration is the probability of cessation of hostilities between russia and the Ukrain to 100%
Forth alteration is the probability of all countries who own nuclear weapons to disarm and deconstruct them to 100%
Fifth alteration is the probability of third world nations developing in line with the rest of the world to 100%
Sixth alteration is the probability of scientists discovering FTL space travel and completing work on suitable intergalactic space vessels in the next 10 years to 100% along with this is the probability of me being selected as crew for one of these to 100%.

Need I continue...

Reactions: Hoksiyopa, Happy2BeInNappies2 and Kittyinpink
Belarin said:
I wish I wish I wish, I had the ability to change the probability of anything with just a thought.

This is the single most over powered super power ever to exist!

Here is an example of why...

My first alteration will be the probability of getting more wishes from the genie to 100%, and the probability of those wishes going badly or backfiring to 0%.
Second alteration is my probability of winning the Euro lottery jackpot this week to 100%
Third alteration is the probability of cessation of hostilities between russia and the Ukrain to 100%
Forth alteration is the probability of all countries who own nuclear weapons to disarm and deconstruct them to 100%
Fifth alteration is the probability of third world nations developing in line with the rest of the world to 100%
Sixth alteration is the probability of scientists discovering FTL space travel and completing work on suitable intergalactic space vessels in the next 10 years to 100% along with this is the probability of me being selected as crew for one of these to 100%.

Need I continue...
What's FLT space travel ?
Great Post by the way !
Way to make me all selfish and shallow ! ๐Ÿคฃ

Thanks I have spent way to much time thinking about what I would wish for if I could have any wish I wanted.

Lol, with the ability to alter probabilities at will I would certainly have a selfish edge in my goals, but you could also do some very selfless and amazing things.

FTL = faster than light, basically even at light speed it would take years to get to even the closest star. FTL would make that journey take less time (think like star trek or star wars being able to go from one star system to another in a matter of days or to saturn and back in less than an hour), but there are problems with it.

The speed of light is 299,792 Km per second (186,000 miles per second) or about 670,616,629 mph, in perspective if you could travel at light speed about 50 meters above the surface you could fly completely around the equator roughly 7 and a half times in 1 second.

The closest star to ours is Proxima Centauri at approximately 40,208,000,000,000 Km away (about 4.25 light years), a space ship that could go from 0 to light speed instantly and then back to 0 instantly would still take 4 years 3 months to get there.

Very basic and somewhat uncalled for lesson in relativity.

From our current level of understanding light speed (C) is the fastest anything can move, Einstein's theory of special relativity suggests that light speed is constant, the whole E=MC squared thing.
Put simply, according to this equation mass and energy are the same physical entity and can be changed into each other. Because of this equivalence, the energy an object has due to its motion will increase its mass. In other words, the faster an object moves, the greater its mass and thus the more energy you need to provide thrust, adding more energy to move the object increases its mass further.
To reach light speed an object with a tiny amount of mass to begin with would increase the faster you get and as you get close to light speed it's mass becomes infinite, requiring an infinite amount of energy to propell it to light speed. Meaning you could only ever get to about 0.99C and only if you had an infinitely large source of power.

There are some finicky points with relativity and time dilation that I won't go too deep into but suffice to say if a person on earth had a device capable of watching your ship all the way to Proxima Centauri you would apear to them to take 8 years and 6 months to make the trip, this is because while your trip may only take just over 4 years physically, the observer would need to wait an addition 4 years 3 months for the light form Proxima Centauri to return to earth for them to see you arrive.

At the same time you on board the ship would only feel as though about 220 odd days had passed.

The really fun part of relativity is that if you turned right around after arriving and headed back the return journey to earth would still take 4 years 3 months, you on board would still feel like it's just 220 days (440 total), Though your overall trip there and back would take 8 years and 6 months but the observer on earth would see you racing back at insane speeds seeming to making the trip in just about 2 weeks.

Physically traveling faster than light though brings it's own share of problems, theories believe that if you were to surpass the speed of light you would be traveling through time as well as space, possibly arriving at your destination before you actually left.

There are theories on how FTL could be achieved, Things like the Einstein-Rosen bridge (a wormhole, think Stargate) or an Alcubierre drive (warping space like in star trek). But creating anything like this is well beyond us at the moment.

Reactions: Hoksiyopa, Happy2BeInNappies2 and Kittyinpink
Belarin said:
Thanks I have spent way to much time thinking about what I would wish for if I could have any wish I wanted.

Lol, with the ability to alter probabilities at will I would certainly have a selfish edge in my goals, but you could also do some very selfless and amazing things.

FTL = faster than light, basically even at light speed it would take years to get to even the closest star. FTL would make that journey take less time (think like star trek or star wars being able to go from one star system to another in a matter of days or to saturn and back in less than an hour), but there are problems with it.

The speed of light is 299,792 Km per second (186,000 miles per second) or about 670,616,629 mph, in perspective if you could travel at light speed about 50 meters above the surface you could fly completely around the equator roughly 7 and a half times in 1 second.

The closest star to ours is Proxima Centauri at approximately 40,208,000,000,000 Km away (about 4.25 light years), a space ship that could go from 0 to light speed instantly and then back to 0 instantly would still take 4 years 3 months to get there.

Very basic and somewhat uncalled for lesson in relativity.

From our current level of understanding light speed (C) is the fastest anything can move, Einstein's theory of special relativity suggests that light speed is constant, the whole E=MC squared thing.
Put simply, according to this equation mass and energy are the same physical entity and can be changed into each other. Because of this equivalence, the energy an object has due to its motion will increase its mass. In other words, the faster an object moves, the greater its mass and thus the more energy you need to provide thrust, adding more energy to move the object increases its mass further.
To reach light speed an object with a tiny amount of mass to begin with would increase the faster you get and as you get close to light speed it's mass becomes infinite, requiring an infinite amount of energy to propell it to light speed. Meaning you could only ever get to about 0.99C and only if you had an infinitely large source of power.

There are some finicky points with relativity and time dilation that I won't go too deep into but suffice to say if a person on earth had a device capable of watching your ship all the way to Proxima Centauri you would apear to them to take 8 years and 6 months to make the trip, this is because while your trip may only take just over 4 years physically, the observer would need to wait an addition 4 years 3 months for the light form Proxima Centauri to return to earth for them to see you arrive.

At the same time you on board the ship would only feel as though about 220 odd days had passed.

The really fun part of relativity is that if you turned right around after arriving and headed back the return journey to earth would still take 4 years 3 months, you on board would still feel like it's just 220 days (440 total), Though your overall trip there and back would take 8 years and 6 months but the observer on earth would see you racing back at insane speeds seeming to making the trip in just about 2 weeks.

Physically traveling faster than light though brings it's own share of problems, theories believe that if you were to surpass the speed of light you would be traveling through time as well as space, possibly arriving at your destination before you actually left.

There are theories on how FTL could be achieved, Things like the Einstein-Rosen bridge (a wormhole, think Stargate) or an Alcubierre drive (warping space like in star trek). But creating anything like this is well beyond us at the moment.
What happens to light when I switch off a torch? Does the light keep travelling for an eternity or does its energy dissappear and become nothing?
Also when light hits an object a shadow is created or the inside of a box of almost any material remains dark , does the light bounce off the box / object? And continue for eternity in a different direction?
And finally... if light bounces off other matter it must have a substance? Either or I assume partical composition or wave length ,like radio which bounces off stuff also ๐Ÿค”..
If that matter exists (partical / waves) then as the matter speeds forward at the speed of light (because the matter is light) why don't the particals swell to enormous size with the energy provided by the constant speed ?
It seems that light passes through solid objects like a magnifying glass , but bounces off a flimsy object like a falling piece of plum blossom or a blade of grass or falling autumn leaves ... what an amazing and confusing thing !
Also if light travelling at constant speed leaves the planet without obstacles in its way wouldn't it outrun time ? As time slows as we get further away from the planet , so light would , if staying at a constant speed , overtake time ?

I wish I lived in a beach community with all of my kids and grandkids. I would be so happy.

Reactions: Kittyinpink
Would you fish ?
Watch the children play , and hear the true music of the sea ? ๐Ÿ˜Š

Oooookaaaayyyy...

I'm not exactly a physicist but as my old dad would say, I have just about enough knowledge and understanding to be dangerous. ๐Ÿ˜ so let's take a crack at this. Also Sorry this could get quite long winded, that's a lot of questions.

Kittyinpink said:
What happens to light when I switch off a torch? Does the light keep travelling for an eternity or does its energy dissappear and become nothing?
Also when light hits an object a shadow is created or the inside of a box of almost any material remains dark , does the light bounce off the box / object? And continue for eternity in a different direction?
And finally... if light bounces off other matter it must have a substance? Either or I assume partical composition or wave length ,like radio which bounces off stuff also ๐Ÿค”..
We should probably preface this by saying that light is composed of particles called photons, these are odd little things in that they behave as both a particle and a wave and depending on the circumstance and the effect being observed determines which form you are measuring it in.

For the first part of this you need to know a little bit about absorption, light absorption is a process by which light is absorbed and converted into energy, Just like in photosynthesis but it can happen to all objects not just plants. It depends on the electromagnetic frequency of the light and the vibrational frequency of the electrons in the atoms of the object. When the two are complimentary the light particles are absorbed, if they are not complimentary then light either passes through or is reflected off (as would be seen by a wave).

The law of conservation says that energy cannot be created or destroyed only converted from one form to another, so when light particles are absorbed their energy is converted into heat (this is why things get hot when left in the sun and the principle behind solar panels)

You would normally witness both possibilities happen at the same time to some degree unless the light in question is highly controlled to produce a very specific frequency, for instance sunlight is composed of lights of various frequencies from 400 - 800 nanometers (more on this when we get to refraction).

So with your torch on there is a continuous supply of photons being emitted, these will fly out and collide with any objects in their path, some of them will be absorbed and converted to heat and some will be reflected losing a little energy as heat in the process and changing the frequency.
However when you turn the torch off that unending source of photons is removed and any that already exist will continue bouncing around being absorbed and reflecting off of any objects in their path until they are all completely absorbed. Now remember how fast light travels? well at that speed it is a tiny fraction of a second until all the photons your little torch was able to create have been completely absorbed (about 1 millionth of a second).

Interestingly, in space this is a little different see, because space is actually pretty empty. There is bugger all up there for the photons to bounce off of and therefore not a lot to absorb them. So in this case they just keep on going until they do hit something and either get absorbed or reflected to travel on some more.

In the case of shadows or inside boxes, Light photons travel in straight lines, whatever direction they are moving in they will stick to without turning or cornering. Until they are absorbed or encounter an object that they either reflect off of (at which point the angle of incidence equals the angle they reflect off to and continue in that line) or they encounter and object that refracts them.

Refraction is the change of a photons direction when it passes from one medium to another with a different density that changes it's wave velocity.
This is most commonly seen when you put a straw in a glass of water and it looks bent at a different angle. Light as a wave is passing from air into water changing its velocity and therefore its direction.
This is also why the many frequencies in sunlight through a prism or reflecting off a CD comes out as a rainbow, the prism/CD refracts the different frequencies of light at different angles breaking it into visible colours but it will also absorb some of the particles as well.

Kittyinpink said:
If that matter exists (partical / waves) then as the matter speeds forward at the speed of light (because the matter is light) why don't the particals swell to enormous size with the energy provided by the constant speed ?
Because as an object increases in speed it is the mass that increases.
Mass and size are two entirely different things, the types of atoms an object is made of and their density determines its mass.
A balloon filled with helium will have less mass than a balloon the exact same size filled with water which in turn will have less mass than another same sized balloon filled with gold.

The three balloons may be the same size but the atoms they are filled with and the density of them is totally different for all 3.

They are often confused and thought to be the same because if the size increases the mass does as well because there is now more space and more material. But mass can increase without a corresponding size increase.

The confusion goes back to badly described terms when these theories were originated, modern physicists now tend to use the term Kinetic Energy or Inertial Mass to differentiate between an objects resting mass (it's mass with 0 speed) and it's potential mass when accelerated to higher speeds.

In physics mass in speed equations is simply locked up energy, the more modern terms of kinetic energy or inertial mass is the amount of resistance an object has to a change in its motion (for instance acceleration or change in direction). When they say an object's mass increases they mean its inertial mass.

Kittyinpink said:
It seems that light passes through solid objects like a magnifying glass , but bounces off a flimsy object like a falling piece of plum blossom or a blade of grass or falling autumn leaves ... what an amazing and confusing thing !
Also if light travelling at constant speed leaves the planet without obstacles in its way wouldn't it outrun time ? As time slows as we get further away from the planet , so light would , if staying at a constant speed , overtake time ?
Actually some light does bounce off the magnifying glass (hence why you might see a little white spot on the glass itself) and some light will also pass through a plum blossom, as well as being absorbed by traveling through and relfecting off of both, all due to containing many frequencies at once.

I really can't get into the whole time thing, it is quite a complicated topic to explain easily and there are a lot of weird phenomena around it, depending on who is observing and where they are observing from in relation to the object in motion. However that is actually backwards time moves faster the further you get from the planet, at least from certain frames of reference.

edited to add that if you'd really like to discuss this more PM me as I 'm overtaking a fun thread here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2 and Kittyinpink
Hi @Kittyinpink a Christmas wish wonderful !! Thanks for posing the question. (There was film of a bright meteor on the TV news last night. Is that what gave you the idea?).

I was first thinking of something just for myself along the lines of being a female friend with a similar farm next to yours Kitty, when I saw @Belarin generous replies considering benefits for the whole planet !! Wonderful Belarin a very Merry time for everyone.

Funny enough, it was only this morning (some five hours ago) that I was looking up to the sky and thinking about photons born at and moving at, the speed of light (in a vacuum), plus how that, at the speed of light, time stands still !!

(Fundamental law of the universe = 'Thou shall not add thy speed to the speed of light !' Or you may not go faster than the speed of light).

Last night I was looking up at the 'two pointers' near the Southern Cross, thinking, as I pondered on the brighter of the two (Alpha Centauri)
'Well that's what you looked like 4 years and four months ago.' (A lot has happened in my life since that light left Alpha Centauri).

And as we all know, light from the red giant star Proxima Centauri, is too faint for the naked eye to see, so Alpha Centauri is as close as I can come for now without a telescope.

Thank you Belarin for the refesher lesson in physics and I am learning more as I read.
(But I have not yet had the time to read all that you have posted).

And thank you Kittyinpink for posting the wish list question.
Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Belarin and Kittyinpink
Belarin said:
Oooookaaaayyyy...

I'm not exactly a physicist but as my old dad would say, I have just about enough knowledge and understanding to be dangerous. ๐Ÿ˜ so let's take a crack at this. Also Sorry this could get quite long winded, that's a lot of questions.

We should probably preface this by saying that light is composed of particles called photons, these are odd little things in that they behave as both a particle and a wave and depending on the circumstance and the effect being observed determines which form you are measuring it in.

For the first part of this you need to know a little bit about absorption, light absorption is a process by which light is absorbed and converted into energy, Just like in photosynthesis but it can happen to all objects not just plants. It depends on the electromagnetic frequency of the light and the vibrational frequency of the electrons in the atoms of the object. When the two are complimentary the light particles are absorbed, if they are not complimentary then light either passes through or is reflected off (as would be seen by a wave).

The law of conservation says that energy cannot be created or destroyed only converted from one form to another, so when light particles are absorbed their energy is converted into heat (this is why things get hot when left in the sun and the principle behind solar panels)

You would normally witness both possibilities happen at the same time to some degree unless the light in question is highly controlled to produce a very specific frequency, for instance sunlight is composed of lights of various frequencies from 400 - 800 nanometers (more on this when we get to refraction).

So with your torch on there is a continuous supply of photons being emitted, these will fly out and collide with any objects in their path, some of them will be absorbed and converted to heat and some will be reflected losing a little energy as heat in the process and changing the frequency.

However when you turn the torch off that unending source of photons is removed and any that already exist will continue bouncing around being absorbed and reflecting off of any objects in their path until they are all completely absorbed. Now remember how fast light travels? well at that speed it is a tiny fraction of a second until all the photons your little torch was able to create have been completely absorbed (about 1 millionth of a second).

Interestingly, in space this is a little different see, because space is actually pretty empty. There is bugger all up there for the photons to bounce off of and therefore not a lot to absorb them. So in this case they just keep on going until they do hit something and either get absorbed or reflected to travel on some more.

In the case of shadows or inside boxes, Light photons travel in straight lines, whatever direction they are moving in they will stick to without turning or cornering. Until they are absorbed or encounter an object that they either reflect off of (at which point the angle of incidence equals the angle they reflect off to and continue in that line) or they encounter and object that refracts them.

Refraction is the change of a photons direction when it passes from one medium to another with a different density that changes it's wave velocity.

This is most commonly seen when you put a straw in a glass of water and it looks bent at a different angle. Light as a wave is passing from air into water changing its velocity and therefore its direction.

This is also why the many frequencies in sunlight through a prism or reflecting off a CD comes out as a rainbow, the prism/CD refracts the different frequencies of light at different angles breaking it into visible colours but it will also absorb some of the particles as well.

Mass and size are two entirely different things, the types of atoms an object is made of and their density determines its mass.

A balloon filled with helium will have less mass than a balloon the exact same size filled with water which in turn will have less mass than another same sized balloon filled with gold.

The three balloons may be the same size but the atoms they are filled with and the density of them is totally different for all 3.

They are often confused and thought to be the same because if the size increases the mass does as well because there is now more space and more material. But mass can increase without a corresponding size increase.

The confusion goes back to badly described terms when these theories were originated, modern physicists now tend to use the term Kinetic Energy or Inertial Mass to differentiate between an objects resting mass (it's mass with 0 speed) and it's potential mass when accelerated to higher speeds.

In physics mass in speed equations is simply locked up energy, the more modern terms of kinetic energy or inertial mass is the amount of resistance an object has to a change in its motion (for instance acceleration or change in direction). When they say an object's mass increases they mean its inertial mass.

Actually some light does bounce off the magnifying glass (hence why you might see a little white spot on the glass itself) and some light will also pass through a plum blossom, as well as being absorbed by traveling through and relfecting off of both, all due to containing many frequencies at once.

I really can't get into the whole time thing, it is quite a complicated topic to explain easily and there are a lot of weird phenomena around it, depending on who is observing and where they are observing from in relation to the object in motion. However that is actually backwards time moves faster the further you get from the planet, at least from certain frames of reference.

edited to add that if yoI have u'd really like to discuss this more PM me as I 'm overtaking a fun thread here.

Belarin said:
Oooookaaaayyyy...

edited to add that if you'd really like to discuss this more PM me as I 'm overtaking a fun thread here.
I have thoroughly enjoyed your two posts on this thread do far ! ๐Ÿ˜Š . Thanks for sharing your amazing knowledge and in such a way , that even my mind can understand! I love learning and thinking about things differently! It sort of re-energises my brain ! Keeps life fresh and fun ! (I am inventing a laser in my imagination as I read this post ! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿคฃ, captain kirk would be proud of me ! , mmm microscope: check . Military grade torch: check . Strong magnifying glass: check powerful magnet:check. aluminium tube:check.๐Ÿ˜Š)

Reactions: Belarin
Happy2BeInNappies2 said:
Hi @Kittyinpink a Christmas wish wonderful !! Thanks for posing the question. (There was film of a bright meteor on the TV news last night. Is that what gave you the idea?).

I was first thinking of something just for myself along the lines of being a female friend with a similar farm next to yours Kitty, when I saw @Belarin generous replies considering benefits for the whole planet !! Wonderful Belarin a very Merry time for everyone.

Funny enough, it was only this morning (some five hours ago) that I was looking up to the sky and thinking about photons born at and moving at, the speed of light (in a vacuum), plus how that, at the speed of light, time stands still !!

(Fundamental law of the universe = 'Thou shall not add thy speed to the speed of light !' Or you may not go faster than the speed of light).

Last night I was looking up at the 'two pointers' near the Southern Cross, thinking, as I pondered on the brighter of the two (Alpha Centauri)
'Well that's what you looked like 4 years and four months ago.' (A lot has happened in my life since that light left Alpha Centauri).

And as we all know, light from the red giant star Proxima Centauri, is too faint for the naked eye to see, so Alpha Centauri is as close as I can come for now without a telescope.

Thank you Belarin for the refesher lesson in physics and I am learning more as I read.
(But I have not yet had the time to read all that you have posted).

And thank you Kittyinpink for posting the wish list question.
Merry Christmas everyone.
You forgot your wish !
But if mine gets granted I will happily transport it to your side of the planet ๐Ÿ˜Š. I love sharing โค๏ธ..

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2
Kittyinpink said:
I have thoroughly enjoyed your two posts on this thread do far ! ๐Ÿ˜Š . Thanks for sharing your amazing knowledge and in such a way , that even my mind can understand! I love learning and thinking about things differently! It sort of re-energises my brain ! Keeps life fresh and fun ! (I am inventing a laser in my imagination as I read this post ! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿคฃ, captain kirk would be proud of me ! , mmm microscope: check . Military grade torch: check . Strong magnifying glass: check powerful magnet:check. aluminium tube:check.๐Ÿ˜Š)
Thanks, this is a topic that really interests me and I have recently been listening to some sci-fi audiobooks so I found it impossible to resist the questions. ๐Ÿ˜ I've been told many, many times I should be a teacher, I am pretty good at explaining concepts in ways easier to understand and follow, I've even had 4 year olds understanding the basics of what polymer chains are and how they work which is high school level chemistry.๐Ÿ˜œ

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2 and Kittyinpink
Belarin said:
Thanks, this is a topic that really interests me and I have recently been listening to some sci-fi audiobooks so I found it impossible to resist the questions. ๐Ÿ˜ I've been told many, many times I should be a teacher, I am pretty good at explaining concepts in ways easier to understand and follow, I've even had 4 year olds understanding the basics of what polymer chains are and how they work which is high school level chemistry.๐Ÿ˜œ
Thats great !
Audio books are such a good idea , if I was good , I would listen to audio education books whilst exercising ...
Rather than shooting imaginary people on the PlayStation whilst drinking cider ! ๐Ÿคฃ..

• Haha
Reactions: Belarin
Kittyinpink said:
Rather than shooting imaginary people on the PlayStation whilst drinking cider ! ๐Ÿคฃ..
I do plenty of that too. ๐Ÿ˜ probably too much tbh. **looks over at the empty cans of thatchers haze from last night**

Reactions: Kittyinpink
Belarin said:
I do plenty of that too. ๐Ÿ˜ probably too much tbh. **looks over at the empty cans of thatchers haze from last night**
๐Ÿคฃ

Back