Not open for further replies.

Stromdell

100% diaper status 24/7 Life
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Ok, so on the way home from work today I was padded and relieved myself as I do from time to time during the drive home. Then I remembered that I needed to pick up a few things from the store so I stopped by Target.
I was very wet and felt that changing would be in my best interest so I hit the bathroom with my spare diaper under my shirt for a change. While I'm in the stall changing, I hear someone come into the bathroom and start to change out the trash bags. No problem right?? Only when I leave the stall, the bathroom is completely empty, the only trashcan has no bag and I'm holding a soaking wet diaper in my hand.

Ok, so I HATE inconveniencing others with my wet diapers (while staying in hotels, I bring my own bags and take them out my self if I can) but I'm not about to walk out of the bathroom with one under my arm while I look for another trashcan. So I placed my wet diaper in the empty trashcan for someone else to pick up.. and hurry out as quickly as I can.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could have done better? or encountered a similar situation? It has never occurred to me that I may need to bring my own bags into a public bathroom

As long as it’s only wet, I don’t really see the problem... they won’t pick the rubbish out with their bare hands when they empty it anyway, they will tip it into a bag. But if you prefer to be more discreet, by all means bring your own bag!

Reactions: Jim100
My change bag has disposal bags in it and I'd have that along with me in the restroom. If I miscalculated, I think I'd go looking for another trashcan. I don't think you did anything wrong but I'm just not that worried anymore about little things like that.

Frankly, that is the employee’s fault... should have put a new liner in the can. Drop it in the can and go

Reactions: Jim100 and littleisaac
keep disposable bags in your backpack as a just incase but a wet diaper is no big deal just roll it up and dispose (Even if theres no Bag) in the trash can they may simply dump the can into a larger can when they clean the restroom. I try to have a bag just incase but if not theres nothing you can do about it and your diaper will probably not be the only one in there.

Reactions: Jim100 and joemama
Stromdell said:
Ok, so on the way home from work today I was padded and relieved myself as I do from time to time during the drive home. Then I remembered that I needed to pick up a few things from the store so I stopped by Target.
I was very wet and felt that changing would be in my best interest so I hit the bathroom with my spare diaper under my shirt for a change. While I'm in the stall changing, I hear someone come into the bathroom and start to change out the trash bags. No problem right?? Only when I leave the stall, the bathroom is completely empty, the only trashcan has no bag and I'm holding a soaking wet diaper in my hand.

Ok, so I HATE inconveniencing others with my wet diapers (while staying in hotels, I bring my own bags and take them out my self if I can) but I'm not about to walk out of the bathroom with one under my arm while I look for another trashcan. So I placed my wet diaper in the empty trashcan for someone else to pick up.. and hurry out as quickly as I can.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could have done better? or encountered a similar situation? It has never occurred to me that I may need to bring my own bags into a public bathroom

In the UK we have changing rooms

These rooms are equipped for those that need a bit more than a disabled toilet.

They are equipped with diaper bins so you could have got change on a changing table and it your used one in the bin.

Last edited:
Ironically, the first time I ever changed in public was in a restroom at Target! I think under the circumstances, you didn't have any other options, but in the future, maybe have a plastic bag available.

Sounds like my experience in the Milton Keynes IKEA changing places. They didn't have a bin in it I didn't realize till I took of my sodden safari. So I put it in my backpack & told a staff member there needs too be a bin in there (like getting blood out a stone) so he radioed through for one. & I left it in the bin without a bag then.

I also left one recently in a shopping centre behind a tampon bin because it couldn't fit.

Like Trevor I always make sure there are enough disposal bags in the changing kit for all the nappies it contains. One bag is enough for a wet nappy, dirty ones get double-bagged, or treble in a sensitive situation. The cost is minimal; I use small, strong black bags that cost about 3 pence each. In case there is no bin, the changing kit contains a normal carrier bag folded up, so that I can walk out of the restroom carrying what might be some shopping. It also enables me to carry the clean nappy, wipes and black bag to the changing room if I have to leave the changing bag itself behind.

siysiy said:
In the UK we have changing rooms

These rooms are equipped for those that need a bit more than a disabled toilet.

They are equipped with diaper bins so you could have got change on a changing table and it your used one in the bin.

I guess the key word is “need”... not sure being a recreational nappy wearer really entitles you to use one. Even a fully mobile incontinent adult who wears nappies might struggle to justify using it, given it’s designed for specific needs (i.e. adult nappy wearers who need changing by a carer).

ChocChip said:
I guess the key word is “need”... not sure being a recreational nappy wearer really entitles you to use one. Even a fully mobile incontinent adult who wears nappies might struggle to justify using it, given it’s designed for specific needs (i.e. adult nappy wearers who need changing by a carer).
Kind off as you know not all disabilities can be seen,

My Little bro LittleIsaac and I like to campaign for these facilities and visit them as we go on our travels. Issac like to tweet about each one and rate it. He get up set if things like the bin is missing or the pull cord has been tied up.

Any way they are for people that need to change their brand of underwear and some people like to do that laying down.

Personally I done it standing up in a moving train toilet ( personal achievement lol)

Last edited:
I change routinely in public bathrooms. It can be nerve wracking. I changed in the airport the other day. I was really nervous as the traffic was high and people kept looking in the stall through the openings. I lost track of things as I stood up. I usually keep the old diaper draped across the crotch of my pants to catch drips but it started to fall and reached to grab it as I stood up to put the new on. I caught and started to wrap it up and find a place to put it while holding the new one. I had let go of the plumbing in my flailing attempt to not drop things on the floor. By the time my senses returned, I realized I actively peeing all over my pants and the floor and the guy next to me yelled, "Whoa guy". I felt really embarrassed. Then I had to bag it up in one of the smaller bags I carry in my backpack, but all I had left was a see through bag. I had to carry it all the way out to the entrance in plain sight of everyone in the terminal due to the layout and that there were no trash cans in the main sink area as they use hand blowers.

In the end, super awkward, but I just picked my head up and walked right out of the stall. Kept the bagged diaper under my arm with my backpack on my back. Washed my hands, blew them dry and headed to the exit. Not one person said anything about the very obvious diaper under my arm, just lots of odd looks. They range from ewww to damn man that sucks.

I did not die of embarrassment, no one created an issue, and I boarded my plane knowing I was much more comfortable for the flight.

Trust that it is much more internal than external.

Always bring your own bag, be prepared for anything! I understand you did what you could. Also I've never thought about that scenario.

Department stores and gas stations are a frequent go-to of mine. I try to keep grocery bags with me but sometimes I don't have any. When I don't, I always fold/wrap as tightly as possible and discard. I agree with others that say if it's only wet (like mine) it's not that big of a deal and no worse than baby diapers that are discarded in the same manner. The only thing I try to be careful of is the poor quality of trash liners against the weight of my (not baby) diaper. Not much you could do in this situation.

siysiy said:
Kind off as you know not all disabilities can be seen,

My Little bro LittleIsaac and I like to campaign for these facilities and visit them as we go on our travels. Issac like to tweet about each one and rate it. He get up set if things like the bin is missing or the pull cord has been tied up.

Any way they are for people that need to change their brand of underwear and some people like to do that laying down.

Personally I done it standing up in a moving train toilet ( personal achievement lol)
I agree that regular disabled toilets cater for unseen disabilities, incontinence included, although the ethics of using them for changing your nappy when you don’t actually need them is debatable. But if you really need a hoist or changing bench, it’s pretty certain your disability will be visible.

Reactions: intfusmil
ChocChip said:
I agree that regular disabled toilets cater for unseen disabilities, incontinence included, although the ethics of using them for changing your nappy when you don’t actually need them is debatable. But if you really need a hoist or changing bench, it’s pretty certain your disability will be visible.

Great point. I never take up a handicapped stall out of respect to others that need it. Having said that, I can also change in just about any location or position and it may differ for others.

Stromdell said:

Changing your diaper in a public restoom isn't inconveniencing others. Not unless you do it at the sinks, and leave your dirty diaper on the counter.

When I need a change I take my new diaper (crinklz)- in hand- to the nearest stall (hc or not). I change as I always would, and roll it up as normally. I then exit the stall- diaper in hand again- and drop it in the waste bin. And for good measure I wash my hands too.

The only way this will inconvenience someone else is if they have their own personal problem with diapers. And that's their own self imposed inconvenience, not from me.

I keep new disposable diapers in my diaper bag that usually stays in my car. I usually have about 4 or 5 and I keep each one in a separate plastic bag. If I need one to change, I will bring it in to the bathroom, change and put the soiled one back in the bag to dispose of it either in the trash can or if no other option, take it back to the car and get rid of it later (drive-thru food places usually have a trash can in the drive-thru lane).

Stromdell said:
(while staying in hotels, I bring my own bags and take them out my self if I can)
By the way, I do the same thing in hotels. I don’t worry about putting one diaper in the trash, but I’m not going to pile up three or four used diapers on the floor for housekeeping to deal with, because the trash cans are so tiny. I’m sure people do, but I just can’t do it.

Last edited:
I have only changed in my Gym private shower stall and a public park private restroom. I am able to change effectively in my car when I put my seat back all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back