Chafing from the leak guards between the legs and crotch

LittleMonsterUK said:
What diaper are you using?
at night either the older rearz inspire+ incontrol or forsite am pm
this because cloth diapers are not good enough for night time and defintely for long nights.

Daytime I wear Tena slip proskin ultima but this one kinda hurts too, I tried abriform L4 cotton feel instead and that was much more comfortable.

In both cases I never wear any kind of plastic pants, daytime I do cover the diaper with abena fix cotton pants because the diaper tends to rub against the mid range of the inside of my legs when it's halfway saturated and this prevents that.

Reactions: Diprs2
SparkyDog had an excellent idea. I use gloves when applying diaper rash cream/ointment/etc. I have sensitive skin, so cearm/ointment rash protection is a necessity.

I used to suffer from rashes in my early days of full time wearing Nappies and plastic pants, my main problem was the plastic pants would crack and as soon as they cracked that hard plastic rubbed my skin around the legs and back leading to some nasty rashes, Plastic pants were for me short lived and very expensive.
It got so bad I had to start using Nappy rash creams as well as a barrier cream to soothe my skin.
Then disposables came along and that eased the problem until I needed to wear PP again due to leaks, any cream or Nappy rash ointment just killed the plastic within minutes, eventually Ifound tightly woven Nylon pants that worked for me but they were hideously expensive and being fairly hard up this was a problem.
Eventually I stumped up the money for some new on the market PUL pants and have never looked back!
Morning routine is cream myself up with Sudocrem and now only very rarely get a tiny spot of Nappy rash once or twice a year and that gets hit with Metanium and whilst that will sometimes mark the PUL pants it does not significantly degrade thePUL.

Reactions: Constantlydamp and Diprs2
Yes I got a lot of itchy red inflamed skin between my thighs and groin area when I first started wearing more. I apply a layer of sudocrem there and have never had any problem since. There was actually one day last week I didn’t put any on as had ran out and the next day I ended up with a bad rash on my thighs. Sudocrem sorted that within a few days tho.

It sounds like its more pressure related to me. I would definitely try some different diapers personally. There has been a lot of different brands I’ve tried out and I’ve found the softest, best performing/quality and least irritating has been northshore. Maybe use them as a test and if they’re good enough they can be “recovery” diapers when needed?
Good luck!

Reactions: winterheart01 and Diprs2
IcyBlue said:
It sounds like its more pressure related to me. I would definitely try some different diapers personally. There has been a lot of different brands I’ve tried out and I’ve found the softest, best performing/quality and least irritating has been northshore. Maybe use them as a test and if they’re good enough they can be “recovery” diapers when needed?
Good luck!
Indeed, in most cases it is pressure related, when wearing cotton feel diapers during the day and having those taped up too tight I get teh chafing pain during the day too when I get back from work, when it's looser I don't.
Thing is, some here seem to confuse regular diaper rash with the heat rash I'm having, I've had this examined by my physician and he clearly said that was not diaper rash and because this area where I also get the chafing pains sweat a lot too, I easily get heat rash there too.

So now I apply diaper rash cream as a protective measure at night but when the heat rash still comes up I have no choice but to apply one or two treatments of the cortisone cream to have it gone.
Last night I taped the plastic backed diaper looser, so it was no longer tight or "locking" anything, but my rash cream was pulling with the hair there so that caused some minor discomfort. I'm not allowed to clean shave there either because of instant hairsac infection or worse and every time I need to take antibiotics for anything related in that region my foreskin swells up or gets infected from the antibiotics so I stick to using an electric clipper and cutting down the weeds every few weeks , not too short or it'll hurt too.

As for NorthShore, i tried their megamax until they because unavailable for a long while and price increased so much I can no longer afford that for ever night.
The forsite am pm is also more expensive but the company here who sells those has free shipping, while northshore is only found here in SaveExpress and they charge insane shipping fees.
Don't forget I only get 420 EUR / year from health insurance for 24/7 urinary incontinence...:(

Reactions: utjerry and Diprs2
As a volunteer firefighter we never know when a call is coming, so I have had to wear a desposible diaper on more than one fire. And yes I still fight fire with uic. After a couple of hours wearing a wet diaper and running around a fire , your diaper get very heavy with both pee and sweat, and starts to rub. What I found that works great for me is A&D prevent . I also wear gloves to apply.

Reactions: cantwait and Diprs2
Do consider the mechanical irritation caused by a diaper that is too tight.

Leak guards gently help create a barrier and do not require a super tight diaper shell to do their job. Changing up your bottom tape placement, even intentionally leaving more pouch between the legs can help relieve the pressure that may be causing the rash, and generally the diaper will be just as absorbent / work just as well if not better than if it's too tight. Also as your diaper swells, it gets tighter on it's own.

Trying different brands of diapers may help too - but definitely try different tape placement, angles and tightness to see if it helps - one-size-fits-many diapers means finding the right tape positions for your body often takes trial and error before you figure it out.

PupSpaz said:
Do consider the mechanical irritation caused by a diaper that is too tight.

Leak guards gently help create a barrier and do not require a super tight diaper shell to do their job. Changing up your bottom tape placement, even intentionally leaving more pouch between the legs can help relieve the pressure that may be causing the rash, and generally the diaper will be just as absorbent / work just as well if not better than if it's too tight. Also as your diaper swells, it gets tighter on it's own.

Trying different brands of diapers may help too - but definitely try different tape placement, angles and tightness to see if it helps - one-size-fits-many diapers means finding the right tape positions for your body often takes trial and error before you figure it out.
That still doesn't explain why I got heat rash after a treatment of cortisone cream and used a clamp the whole day but still have pain in the end of the day :(
I'm afraid this is beyond just chafing, and more sweat related in combination with chafing

winterheart01 said:
used a clamp the whole day but still have pain in the end of the day
Admittedly totally playing devil's advocate, take with as much grains as salt as you like -
Rashes can often clear up as suddenly as they appear, but physical trauma to the skin takes time to heal - no medication can make skin recover in a day if it's physical damage vs. irritation or chemical imbalance causing a rash. A rash seems to me to often be akin to a allergic reaction, sudden inflammation that can reverse just as fast. Physical damage like a cut, scrape, or general mutilation damaging the skin (such as a bad fit digging into the skin for hours on end, or bad chafing) can't be reversed so quickly, damaged skin needs to regenerate and regrow.

Do hope you can figure it out, because regardless this sounds painful! Been dealing with similar for years, and have found in my case it starts with the fit of the diaper - and unfortunately it takes time for this sort of skin trauma to repair all while trying to not continue damaging it.

I also agree diaper fit is the first and main concern. Also the brand could be part of the problem, and something else to look into is your skin care products, try using fregence(sorry misspelled)free. Hope things will be better.

After reading all the responses
I’ve started using a zinc oxide powder along with regular powder to alleviate diaper rash and chafing, sometimes I’ll use a thin layer A&D ointment along with the powder

I think being incontinent and dependant on nappies you have to accept some discomfort. I get a bit sore and itchy from time to time especially in hot weather.

Reactions: Constantlydamp
Wetshisbed said:
I think being incontinent and dependant on nappies you have to accept some discomfort. I get a bit sore and itchy from time to time especially in hot weather.
a bit discomfort i can live with but when it hurts pretty bad like someone sandpapered your skin or is full of painfully blisters then I prefer the cortisone cream :p

Diaperedff1 said:
As a volunteer firefighter we never know when a call is coming, so I have had to wear a desposible diaper on more than one fire. And yes I still fight fire with uic. After a couple of hours wearing a wet diaper and running around a fire , your diaper get very heavy with both pee and sweat, and starts to rub. What I found that works great for me is A&D prevent . I also wear gloves to apply.
Has anybody ever noticed the smell of the A&D on you? I just got some, and was a little concerned that the smell would be noticeable.

cantwait said:
Has anybody ever noticed the smell of the A&D on you? I just got some, and was a little concerned that the smell would be noticeable.
I use A&D all the time and really like it. Generally, I would say you don't notice it, especially if you are wearing a diaper cover. You might get a fleeting smell here and there but nothing constant. It's no big deal. Everyone uses different scents on their bodies for one thing or another. No one is going to be able to pick out the person in a diaper because of possibly smelling the A &D.

Reactions: cantwait
I've found it varies from product to product in terms of fit as everyone's different. I was mainly using BetterDry for a while as it was the best bang for buck in terms of absorbency but the leak guard chafing caused huge skin issues so I stopped. I've since found products that don't have the same issue but it was a fair bit of trial and error. Second using barrier cream all the time. I always use gloves to avoid it going everywhere.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and daylight
@InconLifer, had same issues with BetterDry and many of the plastic backed diapers, it being too tight around the legs. Cloth back with its bit of stretch helps a lot.

Reactions: AttilaThePun
daylight said:
@InconLifer, had same issues with BetterDry and many of the plastic backed diapers, it being too tight around the legs. Cloth back with its bit of stretch helps a lot.
except for tena with cloth back, I find that the leak guards as well as the inner and outer shell and even the absorbing parts are rough against the skin.
I then tried an Abena Abri-Form L4 (cotton feel) and those were a lot softer for me and actually did not scratch my skin nor left pressure marks which would lead to "bedsore " wounds in the long run if not treated timely

Reactions: daylight, AttilaThePun and Diprs2
Back