Catheter or Diapers at the Hospital?! Is it Even a Choice?!

ABDElsa said:
This topic came up in a recent post I commented on. I've yet to have a hospital stay where I'm unable to get out of bed to use the bathroom. I've also never had any incision based surgeries, just a tonsillectomy. However could also be because I'm only 27 I know as I get older the chances of me needing incision surgery/being bedridden in the hospital are much more likely.

So, I'm curious for those of you who have experienced this, seems the first thing the hospital goes with is the catheter and the bedpan. However, as ABDLs we'd probably just wanna go with the Diapers since we already wear them! I know I would definitely chose a Diaper over a catheter because I don't want them sticking a tube in my wee-wee hole, that sounds incredibly painful!

Not sure if a catheter is as unpleasant for females as males, obviously I wouldn't know. But here's the thing, I happen to know a catheter is not just because you can't get out of bed to pee, but because they need to measure/examine your pee for whatever reason, which is pretty much impossible to do with a Diaper!

So, my question is this, when I go to the hospital and need to have a catheter put in, can I refuse and just tell the nurse to put me in a Diaper?! Is it even a choice?! Or is a Diaper like the very last resort that is needed for something different than what a catheter is needed for? They seem like one in the same to me, but again I wouldn't know as it hasn't happened to me yet, but it will, one day it will.

So, for those of you that have had this kind of thing happen to them and have been in this kind of situation before, I would love to get some insight on this so, that I'll know whether are not I can opt out of the catheter and just choose the Diaper at the hospital? Thanks and as always...stay Diapered!🧷:)
-ABDElsa
I have sensory issues and can’t handle catheter

• Love
Reactions: ABDElsa and Diaperman95
I have been in hospital a few times, new knee, new hip, thyroid and the dreaded prostate. For the prostatectomy obviously they have to use a catheter as that is how the urethra gets repaired , but I have had one bad experience with catheters which was very painful and now I always say no to them and produce my own nappies. The last operation was the new knee and they said that as it was a private hospital, they could offer me any nappy I wanted. I did not test that but brought my own Tykables ‘cammies’ for my stay. They got a lot of exposure but no body said a word. The nurse who removed the catheter after the prostate op was super gentle and so quick I did not know she had even done it! Thank you Anna.

Teddy02 said:
I have been in hospital a few times, new knee, new hip, thyroid and the dreaded prostate. For the prostatectomy obviously they have to use a catheter as that is how the urethra gets repaired , but I have had one bad experience with catheters which was very painful and now I always say no to them and produce my own nappies. The last operation was the new knee and they said that as it was a private hospital, they could offer me any nappy I wanted. I did not test that but brought my own Tykables ‘cammies’ for my stay. They got a lot of exposure but no body said a word. The nurse who removed the catheter after the prostate op was super gentle and so quick I did not know she had even done it! Thank you Anna.
I do not blame you I always bring my own too. You changed your profile pic. I did not recognize you. I would like to PM you about hip replacement and your thoughts if it is okay. I go in the 31st to talk to a surgeon. I have AV necrosis in both hips and have already had core decompression on my left that did not hold up. I have had them both scoped but I think it is time. I have been waiting 3 months to get in to this doctor. My family Doc did a cat scan on it and it is pretty jacked. He is 90% sure he will go ahead and replace it.

Twinmom said:
When I had a bad case of Pneumonia and was on bi-pap I couldn't get up. They put me on a new thing that is like a outside cather. But I moved so much it would get out of place and would wet the bed. So they put me in diapers for like 2 days
I believe the outside catheters to which you refer are for women only.

Freddie07601 said:
the pure dry system is just for women I as far as I know. But they do have condom catheters for men that are worn external.

SavSav said:
I have sensory issues and can’t handle catheter
I have very very sensitive skin and I imagine a catheter would hurt like hell for me!

Freddie07601 said:
Yes can't see them working on a man lol

For the vast majority of operations unless you suffer from incontinence you wouldn't routinely be offered a diaper or catheter. For eg tonsils they won't let you lie in bed long. As soon as the anaesthetic wears off they like to get you up and mobile and drinking. You would be expected to walk to the toilet I'm afraid.

I've had general anaesthetic twice, once for a groin op and once for a knee replacement. Both times I had the opposite problem and had difficulty starting to pee. This can be common in some people after a General. Both times my bladder got so full it was uncomfortable. The first time they managed to put a catheter in and the relief was beyond description. The second time it was a junior Dr attempting it and struggle placing it in and ended up causing me pain and in the ned me not getting it. I did manage eventually to pee but was a struggle.

• Wow
Reactions: ABDElsa
Lickingatallsorts said:
For the vast majority of operations unless you suffer from incontinence you wouldn't routinely be offered a diaper or catheter. For eg tonsils they won't let you lie in bed long. As soon as the anaesthetic wears off they like to get you up and mobile and drinking. You would be expected to walk to the toilet I'm afraid.

I've had general anaesthetic twice, once for a groin op and once for a knee replacement. Both times I had the opposite problem and had difficulty starting to pee. This can be common in some people after a General. Both times my bladder got so full it was uncomfortable. The first time they managed to put a catheter in and the relief was beyond description. The second time it was a junior Dr attempting it and struggle placing it in and ended up causing me pain and in the ned me not getting it. I did manage eventually to pee but was a struggle.
Right but I'm talking about a situation where I was in the hospital and unable to get out of bed for whatever reason. Maybe I broke something, or maybe they don't want me moving much if I'm really sick with some disease or something. Chances are it won't happen until I'm much older, but I was just curious as to what to expect for when it does happen.

So this past summer i had a double coronary bypass (open heart surgery, CABG). I woke up catherterized and it was in for probably 2 days or so. They had me up the next morning after surgery too, just to the chair.

At one point my nurse said something to me that makes me think that IC might be in my file. Leading up to surgery, my appointments i wore a diaper.

So when they were getting ready to remove the catheter he looked at me and then back to the computer and said “you’re not incontinent are you?” As if he was checking what the computer said…. So who knows.

I have a followup with my cardiologist tomorrow and i will 95% probably wear a diaper

• Wow
ABDElsa said:
Right but I'm talking about a situation where I was in the hospital and unable to get out of bed for whatever reason. Maybe I broke something, or maybe they don't want me moving much if I'm really sick with some disease or something. Chances are it won't happen until I'm much older, but I was just curious as to what to expect for when it does happen.
It is a hypothetical question.

• Love
Reactions: Diaperman95
I’m a nurse! We much prefer catheters for our patients, especially to monitor your urine. If a catheter isn’t required, we will allow diapers. Most nurses at my hospital don’t blink an eye when someone is in a diaper, and many of us welcome it as it means we won’t be needing to assist the patient as much

Reactions: Liddlefoot
hanbanan said:
I’m a nurse! We much prefer catheters for our patients, especially to monitor your urine. If a catheter isn’t required, we will allow diapers. Most nurses at my hospital don’t blink an eye when someone is in a diaper, and many of us welcome it as it means we won’t be needing to assist the patient as much

Where in the World are you? Here in the UK unless you are completely bed bound and infirm to the point being moved may cause you distress, the nurses will give you either a bottle or a bowl for a pee & normally place you on the commode for a poo.

Lickingatallsorts said:
Where in the World are you? Here in the UK unless you are completely bed bound and infirm to the point being moved may cause you distress, the nurses will give you either a bottle or a bowl for a pee & normally place you on the commode for a poo.
I was thinking the same thing. They can measure out put in a urinal or a condom catheter for incontinent men. UTI's have made made most places re think indwelled catheters unless they really need to be in place. Don't get me wrong they still use them and definitely have a place.

Diaperman95 said:
I was thinking the same thing. They can measure out put in a urinal or a condom catheter for incontinent men. UTI's have made made most places re think indwelled catheters unless they really need to be in place. Don't get me wrong they still use them and definitely have a place.
Certainly my experience was if they needed to monitor output they would tell us men to use a bottle even if mobile.

Lickingatallsorts said:
Certainly my experience was if they needed to monitor output they would tell us men to use a bottle even if mobile.
Yeah but if you can not hold it and they want to or really need to measure your out put it is kinda hard to guess how much waste is in a diaper. I have used diapers, condom catheters and foley catheters all when in the hospital. It just depends on the situation. But sometimes even people with urge incontinence can use a urinal because it is right there at the bed. Most the time I can hold it enough to use a urinal wile awake but all bets are off at night. So during the day sometimes when in the hospital I use a pull up because I can get it down fast enough to get most of it in the urinal but even then I still leak some before I get to it. But I try if that is what they want.

Lickingatallsorts said:
I’m in Ohio. I’ve heard about varying perspectives and preferences throughout the world.

Back