Catheter or Diapers at the Hospital?! Is it Even a Choice?!

ABDElsa

TheFrozenABDL
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
This topic came up in a recent post I commented on. I've yet to have a hospital stay where I'm unable to get out of bed to use the bathroom. I've also never had any incision based surgeries, just a tonsillectomy. However could also be because I'm only 27 I know as I get older the chances of me needing incision surgery/being bedridden in the hospital are much more likely.

So, I'm curious for those of you who have experienced this, seems the first thing the hospital goes with is the catheter and the bedpan. However, as ABDLs we'd probably just wanna go with the Diapers since we already wear them! I know I would definitely chose a Diaper over a catheter because I don't want them sticking a tube in my wee-wee hole, that sounds incredibly painful!

Not sure if a catheter is as unpleasant for females as males, obviously I wouldn't know. But here's the thing, I happen to know a catheter is not just because you can't get out of bed to pee, but because they need to measure/examine your pee for whatever reason, which is pretty much impossible to do with a Diaper!

So, my question is this, when I go to the hospital and need to have a catheter put in, can I refuse and just tell the nurse to put me in a Diaper?! Is it even a choice?! Or is a Diaper like the very last resort that is needed for something different than what a catheter is needed for? They seem like one in the same to me, but again I wouldn't know as it hasn't happened to me yet, but it will, one day it will.

So, for those of you that have had this kind of thing happen to them and have been in this kind of situation before, I would love to get some insight on this so, that I'll know whether are not I can opt out of the catheter and just choose the Diaper at the hospital? Thanks and as always...stay Diapered!🧷:)
-ABDElsa

Hi not something I have experienced in hospital but I catheter up and diaper up everyday. Either would work for me but a catheter would be heaven

• Wow
Reactions: ABDElsa
I thought this time last week I might find out, but apparently I took my diaper off before I went at some point probably because it wasn't medically relevant. It was just a few hours I was there, but I'm surprised I didn't have any kind of accident while I was there.

ABDElsa said:
But here's the thing, I happen to know a catheter is not just because you can't get out of bed to pee, but because they need to measure/examine your pee for whatever reason, which is pretty much impossible to do with a Diaper!
I'd think they'd ought to be able to weigh them, but probably not what anyone particularly wants to do.

• Sad
Bearcatz said:
I thought this time last week I might find out, but apparently I took my diaper off before I went at some point probably because it wasn't medically relevant. It was just a few hours I was there, but I'm surprised I didn't have any kind of accident while I was there.

I'd think they'd ought to be able to weigh them, but probably not what anyone particularly wants to do.
It isn't just volume they're interested in, it's also color and specific gravity

• Wow
Reactions: charliee and ABDElsa
Since I have no choice, I do wear my diapers when I have been in the hospital. My last surgery, I went into the operating room wearing a diaper but came out with a catheter. It was a long surgery and they opted for the catheter but once I was in my room and started waking up, they pulled the catheter and I put my diapers back on. So far they never weighed my diapers to see how much output I have had, they just have asked if I have gone. Depending on what/why you are in the hospital, accurate recording of fluid intake and output isn't always important as it use to be. I do have it on my medical records that I deal with my incontinence using adult diapers and that one of my (Allergies) is catheters because they cause me really bad bladder pain. Yes I do use and play around with catheters at home but that keeps getting less and less because the bladder pain they cause. When I am in the hospital, I don't need to deal with bladder pain along with what ever else has me there.

If you don't physically need diapers but they do allow you to keep calm and relax, you should be able to wear and use them without any fear but I would talk that over with your doctors and let them know and understand why you choose to wear and use. You and your body is under a lot of stress when in the hospital and the more non medical treatments that will help you ease that stress and pain, they normally are willing to work with you on that.

• Sad
I've never been in the hospital overnight, and definitely not for surgery, but I'd think diapers and/or bedpans would be the least invasive option. It's certainly what I'd choose. Like, "oh, you're in here a few days to get these shrapnel pieces out of your leg, let's catheterize your wee-wee because it'll be easier on the nursing staff..." like, what? Wouldn't that just introduce more risk of infection in more places? I dunno.

• Love
When I had a bad case of Pneumonia and was on bi-pap I couldn't get up. They put me on a new thing that is like a outside cather. But I moved so much it would get out of place and would wet the bed. So they put me in diapers for like 2 days

• Love
Reactions: checkingoutall, Deleted member 57387 and ABDElsa
NinjaPizza said:
I've never been in the hospital overnight, and definitely not for surgery, but I'd think diapers and/or bedpans would be the least invasive option. It's certainly what I'd choose. Like, "oh, you're in here a few days to get these shrapnel pieces out of your leg, let's catheterize your wee-wee because it'll be easier on the nursing staff..." like, what? Wouldn't that just introduce more risk of infection in more places? I dunno.
Exactly! That's what I'm saying!

Last time I was at the Hospital I had blood clots in my leg and their diapers wouldn't fit me. So I had my wife bring me my diapers from home. One of the nurses told my wife that she couldn't bring diapers from home. I told the nurse, I don't think this Hospital wants to be sued again by me. So the head Doctor of the hospital came to me and we had a little chat with my lawyers present.

Before my clots was in the hospital for a slight heart attack, but I left the Hospital with a staff infection all over my body someone got Sued badly..

• Wow
Reactions: checkingoutall, Deleted member 57387 and ABDElsa
TexasToast11 said:
Last time I was at the Hospital I had blood clots in my leg and their diapers wouldn't fit me. So I had my wife bring me my diapers from home. One of the nurses told my wife that she couldn't bring diapers from home. I told the nurse, I don't think this Hospital wants to be sued again by me. So the head Doctor of the hospital came to me and we had a little chat with my lawyers present.

Before my clots was in the hospital for a slight heart attack, but I left the Hospital with a staff infection all over my body someone got Sued badly..
Oh my god! That's horrible! I'm so sorry to hear that! I'm surprised they didn't have like every size Diaper on hand already! Did they only have one size or what was up with that?!

ABDElsa said:
The hospital had to double diaper me with one size fit all. I showed them what MegaMax's were all about..

• Wow
Reactions: ABDElsa and Deleted member 57387
It totally depends on the reason for your stay or the procedure you have. Some times they are required do to the surgery and other times depending on the surgery it can be more comfortable to have a catheter. As some one that just had a 8 in long midline incision down my stomach back in Dec. I did not mind it as it hurt like hell to even move. Much less rolling over every time I needed changed. I was straight up before my surgery and told them my issues and that I brought my on diapers. They told me they would prefer to do a condom catheter since it was mostly my bladder that is my issue and I was in so much pain. So that is what we did but on the flipside all the meds and anesthesia locked up my bladder and even though Normally I have bad urge IC I could not go. So I ended up with a foley after all. But most of the time I use my diapers when in the hospital and I even change my self. But bring your own if you can because what they provide is not very good I had over 25 hospital stays in the last 3 years. So I do have some experience with it. I prefer to change myself when I can anyway because even most nurses are not good at getting them on snug and right. That and they are not use to extended capacity diapers and usually end up wanting to change me long before I need it. But as for just placing floey catheters because a person is incontinent they are really starting to get away with due to infection rate. Most hospital UTI's are caused by catheter placement. Some hospitals still do do them anyway because it is easier for the staff. But it is not considered good practice any more to use a catheter in place of diapers. But there are exceptions such as if a person has bad bed sores or skin issues and such. Even then for a male I think most of the time anymore they prefer to use a condom catheter more for the most part. But having a foley catheter is not horrible painful and you get use to them pretty fast and don't notice them much. I mean most the time when you are that ill you could care less, or I don't care anyway. But I have self cathed my self with a straight cath every day for the last 27 years so I am pretty use to it. But I am sure if it is not medically necessary than you could tell them that you prefer to use a diaper instead. They can not do anything to you without your consent so you have a right to say no catheter.
But I say all of this as a incontinent person and not as a diaper fetish or AB. If those are your reasons then I think their is a time and a place and asking for help changing a diaper you do not need would be very disrespectful to the nursing staff. They have better things to do than help ABDL's live out their desires. I am not saying that this is you or why you asked or what you expect. But if you really need the help most of the nurses I have been around are very respectful and understanding. I would not Use a AB diaper either if you want them to take you seriously. I hope that help answer some of your concerns.

• Wow
Reactions: joemama and ABDElsa
ABDElsa said:
Exactly! That's what I'm saying!
Any more most hospitals frown upon using catheters unless they need to. Because they are the number one cause of UTI's. I am not saying it does not happen but is certainly not within the standard of care anymore.

• Love
Diaperman95 said:
It totally depends on the reason for your stay or the procedure you have. Some times they are required do to the surgery and other times depending on the surgery it can be more comfortable to have a catheter. As some one that just had a 8 in long midline incision down my stomach back in Dec. I did not mind it as it hurt like hell to even move. Much less rolling over every time I needed changed. I was straight up before my surgery and told them my issues and that I brought my on diapers. They told me they would prefer to do a condom catheter since it was mostly my bladder that is my issue and I was in so much pain. So that is what we did but on the flipside all the meds and anesthesia locked up my bladder and even though Normally I have bad urge IC I could not go. So I ended up with a foley after all. But most of the time I use my diapers when in the hospital and I even change my self. But bring your own if you can because what they provide is not very good I had over 25 hospital stays in the last 3 years. So I do have some experience with it. I prefer to change myself when I can anyway because even most nurses are not good at getting them on snug and right. That and they are not use to extended capacity diapers and usually end up wanting to change me long before I need it. But as for just placing floey catheters because a person is incontinent they are really starting to get away with due to infection rate. Most hospital UTI's are caused by catheter placement. Some hospitals still do do them anyway because it is easier for the staff. But it is not considered good practice any more to use a catheter in place of diapers. But there are exceptions such as if a person has bad bed sores or skin issues and such. Even then for a male I think most of the time anymore they prefer to use a condom catheter more for the most part. But having a foley catheter is not horrible painful and you get use to them pretty fast and don't notice them much. I mean most the time when you are that ill you could care less, or I don't care anyway. But I have self cathed my self with a straight cath every day for the last 27 years so I am pretty use to it. But I am sure if it is not medically necessary than you could tell them that you prefer to use a diaper instead. They can not do anything to you without your consent so you have a right to say no catheter.
But I say all of this as a incontinent person and not as a diaper fetish or AB. If those are your reasons then I think their is a time and a place and asking for help changing a diaper you do not need would be very disrespectful to the nursing staff. They have better things to do than help ABDL's live out their desires. I am not saying that this is you or why you asked or what you expect. But if you really need the help most of the nurses I have been around are very respectful and understanding. I would not Use a AB diaper either if you want them to take you seriously. I hope that help answer some of your concerns.
Oh trust if I'm able to I'm definitely saying no to the catheter and going with a Diaper instead! I'm not IC I'm an AB and while I guess part of it is kind of a dream/fantasy I'm only gonna do it if the option comes up. I'm not gonna have a nurse help me live out a fantasy by putting me in a Diaper for no reason everytime I'm admitted to the hospital! I'm just asking hypothetically that if they wanted to put a catheter in me at the hospital, if I could refuse it?! Obviously at that point the only other option would be a Diaper. Which I'd have no problem with because I LOVE DIAPERS!!! So, this would only be for if the scenario came up, not every single hospital stay. Obviously I'm not gonna wear my ABDL Diapers to the hospital because I'm not IC and there'd be no reason for it. So, again I was just wondering for when/if that situation ever came up.

Reactions: Twinmom and Diaperman95
Diaperman95 said:
Any more most hospitals frown upon using catheters unless they need to. Because they are the number one cause of UTI's. I am not saying it does not happen but is certainly not within the standard of care anymore.
Good to know.

There are a lot of different options nowadays, for women and men. Men can use condom caths and for women there is a new device that, at least at my hospital, is like The PureWick™ system. Both systems are external and available. I'm at Emory.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Diaperman95 and ABDElsa
ABDElsa said:
Oh trust if I'm able to I'm definitely saying no to the catheter and going with a Diaper instead! I'm not IC I'm an AB and while I guess part of it is kind of a dream/fantasy I'm only gonna do it if the option comes up. I'm not gonna have a nurse help me live out a fantasy by putting me in a Diaper for no reason everytime I'm admitted to the hospital! I'm just asking hypothetically that if they wanted to put a catheter in me at the hospital, if I could refuse it?! Obviously at that point the only other option would be a Diaper. Which I'd have no problem with because I LOVE DIAPERS!!! So, this would only be for if the scenario came up, not every single hospital stay. Obviously I'm not gonna wear my ABDL Diapers to the hospital because I'm not IC and there'd be no reason for it. So, again I was just wondering for when/if that situation ever came up.
I took it as you asking hypothetically. I was just clarifying that as I have a lot of respect for the nursing industry and what they do. I also have read a few threads of people wearing AB diapers in the hospital. I have zero issues with people using AB diapers even incontinent folks. Because most are very effective diapers. But many people do not respect the AB community and I would not want to send a mixed signal to a nursing staff that might make them think of it as a fetish because I do not want to be judged as such. I did not mean it in a disrespectful way or that I think you would expect a nurse to participate in a AB fetish. But I have also read post on this site that have at least made it sound like a person has done that and It might of been me assume that's what I was hearing but I do not like to hear people take advantage of peoples good heart trying to help them. To be honest I have had many stays that I never even mentioned my incontinence to my nurse and they never even realized I was wearing diapers. I just changed when needed and they never even knew.
Many people do not realize you can tell a doctor or nurse no to a procedure. I have never refused a catheter but I have refused a NG tube once and twice I refused a IO. They put a IO in me once and I promise it will never happen again while I am awake and able to make a decision. 🤣🤣 A IO if you do not know is a IV that goes into your bone marrow. They more or less use a cordless drill to put it in and it is mega painful to have it done and mega painful anytime they are pushing fluids into it. I much prefer the diaper over a catheter my self but like I said there are times that I have had a catheter in place and it was better for me then the diaper. It really does depend on why you are in the hospital.. I am glad to year you are in good health. Don't take that for granted because it can change at anytime. I have had 100's of hospital stays and have a long list of health issues of which incontinence is hardly even a issue for me compared to the others. I think you brought up a good question and most people do not know what it is like to be in the hospital and to be honest I was a bit nervous the first time I had a catheter put in place. But to be honest most the time I am admitted I am so sick that I leave my dignity at home. 🤣🤣

• Wow
KrankyPants said:
There are a lot of different options nowadays, for women and men. Men can use condom caths and for women there is a new device that, at least at my hospital, is like The PureWick™ system. Both systems are external and available. I'm at Emory.
I had the pure wick but moved around to much. So when I would pee it wasn't placed right and I would wet the bed. That's when I was put in diapers.

• Wow
Reactions: Diaperman95 and ABDElsa
Twinmom said:
I had the pure wick but moved around to much. So when I would pee it wasn't placed right and I would wet the bed. That's when I was put in diapers.
That is a pretty expensive system if you do not have insurance too.

• Wow
Back