Cashiers

Sgdlboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
What does cashiers think if i were to buy diapers from the store , i know they are supposed to be professional and not ask questions but i find some of them will sort of give "the look".

Anyone have any interesting experience buying diapers from the store , i once bought a pack and there is something wrong with the register or something and the cashier got to call her supervisor and they were trying to figure out how to ring my purchase for a good like 5 mins which felt like a super long time for me. I stood there internally i was in a state of panic but on the outside i was calm and try to treat this purchase as normal as possible , i think there was like 1 customer behind me and of course i was embarrassed as hell but i tried to play it natural.

Reactions: neophyte and Carnifex
Been there I was buying a bag of depends with a line behind me also getting a 12 pack of beer for my friend and the lady said well you got everything on the spectrum diapers and beer I just played it off but it was still kinda embarrassing

Thankfully I have never been stuck in line with Diapers before as I rarely buy Diapers in the store (most of the ones I do are smaller sized Diapers to use as Stuffers for the ABDL Diapers I tend to stick to)

And when I do I usually am able to find a short line, check out, and leave

The Cashiers are doing a job and ring out a lot of people, usually they will just ring your stuff up, you pay, and go

Naturally a lot of people buy Diapers (though most will be for Babies/Young Children) and it isn't the Cashiers job to care what people are buying, only to do a job to earn their check and eventually finish and go home

When I do buy Diapers in an actual store I dont think I have ever got any weird looks either

Though maybe that would be different if I bought Adult Diapers instead of Baby Diapers or some type of "Sleep Pants" (which the Cashier would probably think I am buying for somebody else and certainly not myself) as none of those are anywhere close to my size (but they make excellent Stuffers to boost absorbency)

The only odd comment that was ever made to me was “Most people your age would be really embarrassed to carry these from the store to their car, but you aren’t, good for you.”

I was in college and had my phone out and pretended that I was double checking I bought to the specs that had been texted to me. I wasn’t super embarrassed until after she said that.

Reactions: TyphaHare and Silversnell
It was embarrassing I think I just said they were for my grandma but around that time I started buying my diapers online

There have been so many threads here about flying and having TSA search your carry-on bag. Some comment that "TSA saw my diapers and didn't react" and others comment that "they were more embarrassed than I was". I think it's very similar with cashiers. The more seasoned ones will be completely professional and relaxed, while the less experienced ones will react in some small way, even though they know they're not supposed to. Beyond that you could find somebody who gets chatty. On one occasion I was buying baby wipes at Wal Mart and the cashier asked the name of my kid! I was complete unprepared for that and just rattled off some name. But every cashier knows they're supposed to be cheerful and efficient and professional, and that's what they're thinking: get this customer checked-out and move onto the next one.

Years ago, I was that cashier, lol.

While it's gotten much easier over the years, my coping technique at the register has been telling myself that I'm buying a more common health aid: condoms or headache medicine or test strips for a glucose meter...and who would get nervous buying something like that?

Reactions: TyphaHare and srmousse
depends4me said:
There have been so many threads here about flying and having TSA search your carry-on bag. Some comment that "TSA saw my diapers and didn't react" and others comment that "they were more embarrassed than I was". I think it's very similar with cashiers. The more seasoned ones will be completely professional and relaxed, while the less experienced ones will react in some small way, even though they know they're not supposed to. Beyond that you could find somebody who gets chatty. On one occasion I was buying baby wipes at Wal Mart and the cashier asked the name of my kid! I was complete unprepared for that and just rattled off some name. But every cashier knows they're supposed to be cheerful and efficient and professional, and that's what they're thinking: get this customer checked-out and move onto the next one.

Years ago, I was that cashier, lol.

While it's gotten much easier over the years, my coping technique at the register has been telling myself that I'm buying a more common health aid: condoms or headache medicine or test strips for a glucose meter...and who would get nervous buying something like that?

Yeah, Diapers only carry Embarrassment for people that let them

Whenever I buy Diapers or anything relating to them in the store (Wipes, Rash or Barrier Cream, whatever) I dont make a big deal out of it

That helps a lot because when we dont act like something is a big deal, chances are others wont either

Most people dont care anyways, but when we act nervous or freak out that is what will draw that "Weird" kind of attention to us

Not the sheer act of buying Diapers (or related items)

Reactions: Carnifex
It actually happened to me the first time I bought diapers at a store. I was 12 (ish) at the time, it was summer.

My best friends aunt was watching him and his brother. She decided she wanted to go to the local mall and McDonald’s for lunch. I was asked to tag along.

While we were at the mall the aunt decided to get her hair done and asked us not to leave the mall but we could go into the stores while she was doing this.

So All 4 of us (the aunt had a young boy as well) started going into the different stores. There was a CVS at the mall and they had goodnites as they had just recently been released.

I talked my friend into getting some to pick on his younger brother who had an accident or 2 weeks prior and he agreed. I went in to pick them up and they stayed up front and bought candy and stuff at the register and were waiting for me by the door when I got up to the cashier.

I placed my soda and the pack of goodnites on the counter and the cashier ask if they were for me. I told her no, that my mom sent me to get them for my little brother and looked over to where my friends were standing.

She said something about being a big help to my mom and my brother and that she was happy to see such a mature boy willing to buy them with the stigma associated to them.

I said thanks took the bag and walked out with them.

I don’t know what would have happened if my friends and his family wouldn’t have been there the first time. I probably would have spilt the beans and told her they were for me and such. Still a very vivid memory to this day.

Oh man. There was this one time at band camp that I went to a supermarket pretty late on my way home from a night class. I brought over a pack of girls Goodnites over to the register. I always figured no one would question why I’d be buying girls Goodnites if I’m a boy. (Stupid me).

When she went to ring them up, she said “Are these for you?” I don’t know what I was thinking, but I said “yes”. We both immediately started laughing. After a few more jokes from her, I told her to have a goodnight. She pointed at the bag and said, “you will.” I remember laughing, but also being real nervous. I never in a million years would have thought that that would happen to me.

Reactions: TyphaHare and PampersboyLondon
Twenty years ago in lesvos Island a cashier asked me " whose got so slim fit babe?"
I use to wear cloth diapers but in my vacations with out washing machine its not easy.so i took the largest baby diapers i found.her reaction still makes me laugh

I got patted down by a TSA agent and I wasn't even flying, just accompanying my 90 year old mother-in-law until she boarded. Anyway, they guy patted by padded butt and his eyes got really big. I thought, serves you right, pervert!

Reactions: TyphaHare, MegaMaxx and jasonm03
While anything is possible, for the most part, cashiers are there to do a job and our purchases aren't that interesting to them. The most awkward experiences were of my own making. As a kid, I thought I needed a cover story and when I offered it, there were additional questions I wasn't quite ready for. It still turned out okay but I was embarrassed. The most recent bit of oddness was a check with another clerk to see if there was a rebate available on some Depends I was buying. I probably would have been mortified at some point in the past but it wasn't a big deal. We're buying a legal product and no one expects that we're using them for fun. Even if they did, what's it to them?

When I first started buying adult diapers in my teens and still in high school, I traveled to a town 20 miles away to buy some depends. So, the cashier was actually in my high school class. I didn't know her but she recognized me. She asked if I went to our high school and I said no. Who knows if she outed me, but at least I never heard of it at school.

Look for a self checkout lane.

I've been on both sides, buying and also scanning them through the register. Cashiers don't care that much, it's their job, they get paid to do it.

It wasn't diapers, but the first time I bought pacifiers and a bottle, I was maybe sixteen or so. I got a card that said "it's a girl!" to go with it so it would look like I was buying gifts for a baby shower. My heart was racing in my chest as I blathered aimlessly to the cashier who never asked, about my friend's mom in some city far away (to explain why the cashier wouldn't run into her in our small town) who was having a baby.

The first time I bought diapers, they were goodnites. I was coming off my shift at the department store I worked at, grabbed a bag off the shelf and walked as casually as I could to the self checkout. I knew if I acted uncomfortable, that would only draw more attention.

Now it's no big deal. A couple of days ago I was buying baby powder, rash cream and baby lotion and the self checkout computer malfunctioned and refused to take my card. I stood there for a good five minutes with all my stuff on display as an employee messed with the computer, then got her supervisor who cancelled my order and rang me up in person. It was no big deal. You learn pretty quick that nobody really cares all that much about what one stranger out of maybe a thousand that they'll see in a day is buying.

I don't mind carrying a pack of diapers through the store and checkout and to the car even if they don't bag it. If they asked I would say "these look pretty comfortable."

Reactions: pokemonjesuzzz111111, TyphaHare and Carnifex
I buy goodnites at the store pretty regularly and nobody has said anything to me about it

Reactions: pokemonjesuzzz111111
I've had scant comments from cashiers over nearly 50 years of buying diapers.

I had two back when I was more self-conscious about things:
One was when I ordered cloth diapers from Sears and the clerk (a young woman) insisted on opening the package to make sure they were OK. These days I would have recognized the curiosity and engaged her.

The other was the clerk holding up my package of Attends (back when they came in a box) and asking the next clerk over "Is there tax on these?"

The only recent interaction I can remember is when buying some baby wipes and a package of adult diapers. The clerk asked how old my baby was. I pointed at the diapers and said both products were for me. She got real embarrassed.

I leave you with this clerk's reaction:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Evahasgone2, TyphaHare and Silversnell
Back