Capacities

Status
Not open for further replies.

MixerOp

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Well, I put on an absorbency plus l, this morning. Flooded it while brushing my teeth. It was a pretty heavy wetting, and that got me thinking about capacity. XP medical has a real nice review page describing preformances of different diapers. Has anyone else done or seen this (besides XP medical)?

XP does try and stay as realistic as they can with those absorbency ratings. Most all others you just can't trust though. That's because they base their absorbencies on lab testing in a perfect setting with unrealistic conditions.

Just my opinion but any Rearz has enough capacity to be measured in Gallons!

XP medical has done a decent job with their testing. However, how a particular diaper performs in real life is dependant on a number of factors.

Anatomy, sweat, pad shape, and pad composition all affect how one will actually perform. Some diapers I have used underperformed, and others over performed.

With most diapers the back half of the pad almost always only gets used about halfway. The crotch typically ends up taking the bulk of the moisture. Molicare, and Rearz are the only two diapers I've used that have satisfactory enough wicking to get nearly full use of the pad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BuffedBaby said:

Technically that is true. Funny how a fraction of 1 gallon is measured as a multiple (ie. 0.5 gallons)

BuffedBaby said:

It's challenging (impossible?) to get a gallon of liquid into even a safari without leaking. A lot of those ratings are "we dunked it in a bucket and pulled it out and tossed it on the scale before it was done pouring out", and that's nowhere near a practical result.

Water weighs close enough to 1oz(weight) = 1oz(volume) for practical purposes, so a gallon with its 128oz would add about 128/16 = 8 lbs to a diaper. I've never seen even a premium of mine make it much into the 4lb range.

I weigh my diapers at the point they start leaking.

Safari Medium while laying down 1.9 liters
ABU Space/Little Paws etc 1.7 liters

And of course the capacity is very different while staning and sitting.

So much of it depends on how your sitting so measure it yourself.

Safari's seem to be the highest capacity diapers I can get my hands on right now, but maybe tykables will beat them.

My post was tongue in cheek, I didn't actually mean real world gallons. They hold a LOT!

BouncyBoy said:
I weigh my diapers at the point they start leaking.

Safari Medium while laying down 1.9 liters
ABU Space/Little Paws etc 1.7 liters

And of course the capacity is very different while staning and sitting.

So much of it depends on how your sitting so measure it yourself.

Safari's seem to be the highest capacity diapers I can get my hands on right now, but maybe tykables will beat them.

Now try that with URGE incontinence. Not even close. Seriously, try Betterdry/Crinklz. Now there's a diaper than can hold a literal gallon of pee- and without leaking. The first of it's kind.

BouncyBoy said:

They're going to have to do better than "50% more absorbent" to grab that title I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back