Can using foley catheters for more than a year lead to permanent incontinence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarhappy01

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Im up to a 30 french as i have urge incontinence with a history of retention when i take certain medications. I opted for a catheter vs adult diapers as they are cheaper than diapers and you change them every 30 days instead of 6 times a day so to me thats tremendously cheaper. I was wondering if this will make my incontinence worse? I will see a urologist in june and im gonna tell her i wanna keep the catheter in for another year till i get on disability then ill switch to adult diapers when i can afford to.

Last edited:
it will may your ability to retain pee as your bladder will shrink over time as its never full due to the constant draining, your sphincter muscles may get weaker over time as well so it is possible your incontinence will get worse but thats a question for your urologist in june.

That all depends on if your sphincter muscle is normally clamped shut, or allowed to stay relaxed and open the whole time. I was once catheterized for seven months straight (and let it drain into my diaper). I developed a severe urethral sensitivity because of the long term catheter use and had to remove it. My sphincter muscles immediately went back to always staying clamped shut and I unfortunately never experienced leakage once it was removed. Other have use a catheter for just one month an had a difficult time regaining any control what so ever.

Ps, why would you be changing 6 times a day? Use better diapers and they will be cheaper overall and with fewer changes per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back