Bowel Accidents While Sleeping from Birth Defects Affecting Nerves.

musicfan9389

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I'm 25, male, and I was wondering....am I the only one who has trouble with bowel issues sometimes? I have had trouble with it since I was little where, just like I don't wake up and wet the bed, I sometimes have bowel accidents in my sleep. (although not as often as bedwetting) I also have trouble where if I wait to go to the bathroom (for urine or bowel movements) my brain forgets about it then when it remembers it can be too late and I have an accident.

I was a preemie and had a brain bleed that caused issues with developments as well as the signals for my body to "go to the bathroom." That and I also have a shunt/tube in my brain for hydrocephalus (fluid). It was embarrassing dealing with it at school growing up.

I'm very grateful that you guys showed me great tape-on plastic briefs/diapers though. They work so much better at holding any accidents than the Pull-ups/GoodNites did growing up and keep me from embarrassing leaks. I also have some other questions though, regarding hiding my diapers better. I'm been looking for t-shirt type "onesie's to wear under my pants to hide the waistband so I don't hear any comments in public. Also related to embarrassment....how does everyone carry their diapers and supplies in public. The NorthShore Supremes and ConfiDry 24/7s I wear are think so it's hard to hide them and my other supplies sometimes like when I go out to my car to get them at work.

Thanks everyone

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192
Wow I couldn't imagine having daytime bowel accidents, I'm really sorry to hear about that.

I have no night time control so I do deal with wetting and bm's at night. Usually it's not too bad so I can wear BetterDry diapers with a plastic pant and my accidents are contained. I think it's very important to figure out what combination of protection works best for your body and your situation.

Lilah said:
Wow I couldn't imagine having daytime bowel accidents, I'm really sorry to hear about that.

I have no night time control so I do deal with wetting and bm's at night. Usually it's not too bad so I can wear BetterDry diapers with a plastic pant and my accidents are contained. I think it's very important to figure out what combination of protection works best for your body and your situation.

It's good to know I'm not the only one.

musicfan9389 said:
I'm 25, male, and I was wondering....am I the only one who has trouble with bowel issues sometimes? I have had trouble with it since I was little where, just like I don't wake up and wet the bed, I sometimes have bowel accidents in my sleep. (although not as often as bedwetting) I also have trouble where if I wait to go to the bathroom (for urine or bowel movements) my brain forgets about it then when it remembers it can be too late and I have an accident.

I was a preemie and had a brain bleed that caused issues with developments as well as the signals for my body to "go to the bathroom." That and I also have a shunt/tube in my brain for hydrocephalus (fluid). It was embarrassing dealing with it at school growing up.

I'm very grateful that you guys showed me great tape-on plastic briefs/diapers though. They work so much better at holding any accidents than the Pull-ups/GoodNites did growing up and keep me from embarrassing leaks. I also have some other questions though, regarding hiding my diapers better. I'm been looking for t-shirt type "onesie's to wear under my pants to hide the waistband so I don't hear any comments in public. Also related to embarrassment....how does everyone carry their diapers and supplies in public. The NorthShore Supremes and ConfiDry 24/7s I wear are think so it's hard to hide them and my other supplies sometimes like when I go out to my car to get them at work.

Thanks everyone

I myself have bladder and bowel issues due to Spastic Diplegia type Cerebral Palsy, plus Autism.
I wear plastic-backed DEPEND (Kleenex HUGGIES Adult) diapers.

I have an L5-S1 disc ruptured that is causing partial bladder and bowel incontinence. I have very limited time to get to the bathroom when I feel the urge to pee or poop. At night, I frequently wet and mess myself while sleeping. During the day, I don't wear a diaper if I am at home because I can usually make it to the bathroom before I have an accident. If I go out, I must wear a diaper because I always have an accident while I am out. When I leave home, I always take a small backpack with a changing kit. It has 3 diapers, several packs of wipes, and rubber gloves just in case I have a messing accident. The majority of the time I have wetting accidents but there has been a few messy accidents in the last few months while out and about.

Tundra1975 said:
I have an L5-S1 disc ruptured that is causing partial bladder and bowel incontinence. I have very limited time to get to the bathroom when I feel the urge to pee or poop. At night, I frequently wet and mess myself while sleeping. During the day, I don't wear a diaper if I am at home because I can usually make it to the bathroom before I have an accident. If I go out, I must wear a diaper because I always have an accident while I am out. When I leave home, I always take a small backpack with a changing kit. It has 3 diapers, several packs of wipes, and rubber gloves just in case I have a messing accident. The majority of the time I have wetting accidents but there has been a few messy accidents in the last few months while out and about.
Thats a good idea to pack 3 diapers and my supplies in a backpack for when I'm out so no one can see what I'm carrying.

I forgot to m
musicfan9389 said:
Thats a good idea to pack 3 diapers and my supplies in a backpack for when I'm out so no one can see what I'm carrying.
I forgot to mention that in my backpack, I also have a spare Gary active wear diaper cover in case my diaper leaked during the original accident. I always wear a diaper cover just in case of a leak. I also keep a few small trash bags to put the used diaper in and toss it in the trash bin.

Last edited:
Tundra1975 said:
I forgot to m

I forgot to mention that in my backpack, I also have a spare Gary active wear diaper cover in case my diaper leaked during the original accident. I always wear a diaper cover just in case of a leak. I also keep a few small trash bags to put the used diaper in and toss it in the trash bin.

That's also a good idea.

I second wearing a gary pul diaper cover, as they do help contain leaks and smells for at least a little while. There are tons of sites which sell onesie, just do a search on this site and they will pop up in mass. Long length shirts are also good for concealement too. Most any backpack, book/laptop bag, or briefcase will work as a diaper bag. And depending on where you're at can blend in with what everyone else is carrying.

Firstly it is possible to get plain coloured onesies, I currently have a white one and a green one which I wear when I have to leave the house (I'm totally bladder incontinent and am also experiencing problems with loss of bowel control due to spinal and nerve damage). The onesie work very well and not only add physical support for a wet or soiled nappy but also make me feel more confident. As for a changing bag I use a small backpack, which contains Clean disposable nappies, a pair of fresh waterproof pants in case I leak. Wet wipes, nappy rash cream, a small selection of rubbish (trash) bags to hold wet/soiled nappies if I can't dispose of them properly. I also tend to carry a spare pair of jogging bottoms as well.

musicfan9389 said:

Thanks everyone
Hi, you are not the only one, I am 25 also bladder and bowel IC since birth. Would love to chat, if it’s possible

Lilah said:

Like you, I have no control of anything while sleeping. During the day I'm urinary IC and have semi-bowel IC (usually in the morning, sometimes during the evening). I've become more accepting then I was when much younger. As you have said, combination of protection is important.

Back