Boarding a Ship for a Cruise

Khaymen

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Other
My wife and I will be traveling via Carnival Cruise ship for a trip to the Bahamas in a few months. I would like to know what to expect regarding them searching our bags as I will have diapers in my carry-on and whether I should request a mattress cover.

Beyond anything diaper related, what advice would you offer for our first cruise?

Reactions: Kirisin and Diprs2
Khaymen said:
My wife and I will be traveling via Carnival Cruise ship for a trip to the Bahamas in a few months. I would like to know what to expect regarding them searching our bags as I will have diapers in my carry-on and whether I should request a mattress cover.

Beyond anything diaper related, what advice would you offer for our first cruise?
Couple things one if my safe driving awards was a free cruse. I was told to make sure your drinks and tips are included in your fair. That expense will cost a bunch if it isn't included. There an add on so make sure you add it on
As far as checking your luggage we where told it isn't any different then it would be boarding an airplane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
Kirisin said:
Couple things one if my safe driving awards was a free cruse. I was told to make sure your drinks and tips are included in your fair. That expense will cost a bunch if it isn't included. There an add on so make sure you add it on
As far as checking your luggage we where told it isn't any different then it would be boarding an airplane.
I did prepay the gratuities.

As far as luggage though, I haven't flown since before 9/11.

Reactions: theancientmariner, Diprs2 and Kirisin
I've checked luggage for a plane recently. It's simple as can be. Wait in line, put the bag on the belt thing, walk thru the metal detector, grab your bag and go. Super easy

Reactions: Kirisin
Don't worry about the baggage checkers seeing diapers in your carry-on luggage. I'm sure they have seen much stranger items in carry on luggage.

As for asking for mattress protection, your request would probably be welcomed and readily complied with.

Reactions: Jorelaxed, PuffPuffPaci, Diprs2 and 1 other person
Until my back pain flared up I was considering an Alaskan cruise for 7 days. Travel time, etc. would be nearly two weeks. The cruise was to be on Holland America. I made a few phone calls and got routed to a customer service department that was very helpful. They said that when I was ready I could send them the cruise information and the specific diapers I wanted to be ordered and they would place the order and have it loaded on the ship, ready for me. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it will be if I ever do get to take my dream vacation.

Reactions: Khaymen
If they search your bags and see diapers, so what. They'll totally forget who's face it belongs to in about 20 mins. They're looking for potential threats to the vessel, not padded underwear.

I went on a Carnival cruise last Summer, no one said anything, my bag was searched on the way home at London airport, but she did not put the pullups on the counter, she pulled them out and put them back in, did the same with my stuffed animals. I used smaller paper bags to throw away used pull ups in my cabin.

PuffPuffPaci said:
I've checked luggage for a plane recently. It's simple as can be. Wait in line, put the bag on the belt thing, walk thru the metal detector, grab your bag and go. Super easy
unless you get selected for the extra search like I got the last two times I flew. They told me it was most likely because I bought my ticket the day of or before. I know it did not make since to me either! Like a terrorist that spends months planning a attack is not going to buy tickets in advanced? I had went into the restroom and changed before boarding security and I am glad as one time I had booked my flight same day because my truck broke down and I flew home as the repairs was going to take a week. I had changed in the sleeper earlier that morning and not wanting a smelly truck when I came back I triple bagged a wet diaper and tossed it in my back pack as I was told to get my belongings. So a taxi took me from the shop to airport. I was so glad I went and changed and threw out the pee diaper at the airport before security. I had about 7 diapers in my back pack and a luggage bag and security went through it all. He never waved them around or even pulled them out for others to see but he did go through the bags very well. He never said a word.. I have never went on a cruise I have traveled by rail and they do not check anything. In fact traveling from Oklahoma to Texas I never even take my gun off on the train even though it clearly says no guns. I would imagine leaving the country and being subject to customs what ever country the ship docs they might be more likely to look. Maybe even more so when coming back into the US but that is just a guess.

totally not a problem. I took an extra suitcase with just diapers and accessories. No one looks in your case or cares. I'm leaving out of Charleston SC in August.

Reactions: Diaperman95
You know what, in all honesty, I would imagine if they did search your luggage and make a big deal out of it, that would be grounds to sue the crap out of them. I don't think anybody would do that if they wanted to keep their job. Also, in the event you do get embarrassed you can get a million dollars. 😁 At the end of the day, that's a win in my book.

Khaymen said:

I have a cruise in February from Galveston for 5 days, I called them asking if they had mattress protectors and was told to bring my own.

Our First cruise was to the Bahamas. Actually if you look at my profile picture that is Nassau in July 2018.

Everyone has given good advice so far. We where real careful about the easy swipe for charges card. But my niece did not think about it on their first cruse and where gambling and drinking like no tomorrow and when they got back to port they would not let them off the ship until they covered the $3500 in charges they did.

Back