Bladder spasm during selfcath?

I self cath when I need to pee, rather than on a schedule.

For me, the retention causes the sensation that my bladder isn't empty. I usually retain 250 ml, and I feel the need to pee at 350-400 ml, so I end up not feeling much relief if I don't cath.

I don't have to get up in the night to pee or to cath most of the time. If I do wake up needing to pee, I end up having to cath as well. That only happens if I've had too much liquid to drink in the evening, though. I usually limit fluids after supper to avoid having to pee in the middle of the night.

daylight said:
@Pino and @ltaluv,

Thank you for your input. With retention, were you catheterizing on a schedule or when sensing bladder fullness? Could you sense retention? Also, did you have to stay on schedule at night whilst sleeping?
That is going to depend on your retention and the symptoms you have. I have bladder retention all my life. But I am also incontinent. So it does not stop me from peeing but instead only from emptying my bladder. So I cath only once per day just to keep the infection pushed out. If you hold fluid it will become stagnant and bacteria grows causing UTI's. So I only cath to keep that clear. If I have surgery the meds to put me under and sometimes IV pain meds will lock my bladder up and make it worse, so I have to cath more often or place a foley but that is pretty seldom. Most the time once a day is enough for me.

Thank you again. This helps me to formulate my questions to discuss at the appointment.

Reactions: Diaperman95
ltaluv said:

For me, the retention causes the sensation that my bladder isn't empty. I usually retain 250 ml, and I feel the need to pee at 350-400 ml, so I end up not feeling much relief if I don't cath.

I don't have to get up in the night to pee or to cath most of the time. If I do wake up needing to pee, I end up having to cath as well. That only happens if I've had too much liquid to drink in the evening, though. I usually limit fluids after supper to avoid having to pee in the middle of the night.
For me it is mostly the same, even the amounts.

My retention is about 250ml (+/- 50ml) at 250ml i get the feeling in my bladder, at 400ml it gets urgent, at 500ml painful with the risk of emptying my bladder unwanted. So i cath at 400ml most of the time and get relief for a longer time slot, what reduces accidents about 75% in comparison.

I am ordered to cath 4-6 times a a day, this is what the insures pays by the way, the rest of times i go to the toilet "normally" to void about 200ml and keep the 250ml in my bladder. At the moment i do go about 15 times a day, but this results out of the necessary drinking 5000ml. When i could get desmopressin, i am sure i could get along with the six times cath a day.

Last edited:
ltaluv said:

It is really interesting how similar our problems are.

Pino said:
It is really interesting how similar our problems are.
It sure is. I do the same as you if I need to pee between cathings, and get a couple hundred milliliters out. It doesn't give me a lot of relief from feeling the need to pee, but it helps some.

My insurance has covered cathing weight time a day in the past, but I've for a new prescription and I'm waiting to find out if they'll still cover that many times. Their normal amount that they'll cover is 200 catheters a month, and I've asked for 240. We shall see.

5L a day is a lot to have to drink! I don't track my fluid intake very carefully, but when I have tracked it is around 3 to 3.5 liters.

ltaluv said:
It sure is. I do the same as you if I need to pee between cathings, and get a couple hundred milliliters out. It doesn't give me a lot of relief from feeling the need to pee, but it helps some.

My insurance has covered cathing weight time a day in the past, but I've for a new prescription and I'm waiting to find out if they'll still cover that many times. Their normal amount that they'll cover is 200 catheters a month, and I've asked for 240. We shall see.

5L a day is a lot to have to drink! I don't track my fluid intake very carefully, but when I have tracked it is around 3 to 3.5 liters.
I am always thirsty. When i reduced the fluid intake down to 3000ml, as advised from three urologist, i got really hard problems with my POTS symptoms. For that reason i checked my ADH, which was way to low. I could convince a nephrologist (?) to check it for diabetes insipidus, but i am still waiting for an appointment in the neurological clinic. Until then nobody will subscribe me the needed Desmopressin.

My only choice is now to drink as much as needed. I think when i really would drink as much as like it would be about 2000ml additional.

Yikes that's a lot of fluid.
I barely get 1.5L a day in pure water in me, coffee and tea not included.
If I'd drink twice as much I'd need a lot more of high capacity diapers

Reactions: daylight, Pino and Diaperman95
winterheart01 said:
Yikes that's a lot of fluid.
I barely get 1.5L a day in pure water in me, coffee and tea not included.
If I'd drink twice as much I'd need a lot more of high capacity diapers

I find my muscles react to not enough hydration. Knots and trigger point pain. A built in alarm to drink. Yet another reason to stay hydrated.

While you drink 1.5L, you also receive water through what you eat, you may actually consume over 2 liters a day.

daylight said:
I find my muscles react to not enough hydration. Knots and trigger point pain. A built in alarm to drink. Yet another reason to stay hydrated.

While you drink 1.5L, you also receive water through what you eat, you may actually consume over 2 liters a day.
Many incontinent folk think they do themselves a favor by reducing fluid intake but most of the time it makes matters worse. especially with interstitial cystitis. Man when I am dehydrated my bladder spasms are straight from hell. The main thing about consuming a lot of liquids that is bad is to chug a lot at once. You can flush vital minerals out of your system if you drink to much to fast. I cant drink anything fast because my ureter on my right side is real narrow and slow to drain. It will back up into my kidney and I will have extreme kidney pain on my right side. I drink about a gallon a day but I spread it out. Mostly tea. I use to drink that much soda pop but I gave it all up and I feel 100% better. It is funny because I do not even like the taste of coke anymore.

Back