Bladder scan

Diaper44

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Incontinent
Had a bladder scan today to find out my bladder doesn’t empty completely. Should I be worried. Has anyone else got this problem. I wear diapers to bed as I’m a bed wetter

Last edited:
I'm going for a bladder scan in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to it either. Just found out my PSA was 4.86. Now I have to get a biopsy on my prostate and the bladder scan. This is not going to be fun at all.😞

• Sad
Reactions: Absorblock
I've had bladder scans quite regularly after I had my prostate removed. My understanding is it is quite common not to empty the bladder completely. I think it becomes an issue if it isn't emptying enough; and, I have no recollection of what is regarded as enough. Your urologist should be able to tell you that.

Paddy2020 said:
I'm going for a bladder scan in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to it either. Just found out my PSA was 4.86. Now I have to get a biopsy on my prostate and the bladder scan. This is not going to be fun at all.😞
The bladder scan is no big deal. When I had the biopsy done on my prostate, I consider myself lucky in that the "cocktail" they use for such things always puts me out. I've had 3 heart caths done, the prostate biopsy, and 3 colonoscopies performed. They always tell me the mixture of meds they are giving me will relax me so I won't feel anything but I will be awake during the procedure. After the procedure they always end up asking my wife how long I'm going to sleep. She tells them until they wake me up. That's usually about 2 hours but did go to 3 hours once. I just go out. Heck, I sleep during MRIs. I've been poked and prodded and have had my body invaded so often, I don't even give it a second thought. I'm just glad medical science has kept up with the various issues I've had. (y)

Reactions: Paddy2020
I’ve had many bladder scans, they’re totally painless and take maybe a minute or two with an ultrasound probe on your lower abdomen with your clothes still on. Now when I was cathed a handful of times for a full urodynamic test, it was more invasive, but not terrible.

Peesalot said:
I've had bladder scans quite regularly after I had my prostate removed. My understanding is it is quite common not to empty the bladder completely. I think it becomes an issue if it isn't emptying enough; and, I have no recollection of what is regarded as enough. Your urologist should be able to tell you that.
All the urologist told me was to call my doctor in a weeks time to see what they want to do next

Zippy38b said:
All the urologist told me was to call my doctor in a weeks time to see what they want to do next

I think you need a different urologist. Your urologist should be the one treating you for your bladder issues. Retention can be a problem if you are holding back to much. Sometimes they will have you to self cath and messure the output to see how much you are retaining and if it's a large amount, then they may suggest you self cath all the time and or try some meds or other options. To much retention could back up into the kidney's and then there can be a real problem. My urologist has me get an ultra sound of my Kidney's, bladder and testiscles at least once a year to make sure all is good. My retention changes and he knows it's not feesable or easy for me to self cath since I have to wear diapers, so doing the ultra sound to keep check on things is very important to him.

Reactions: Diaper44
checkingoutall said:
I think you need a different urologist. Your urologist should be the one treating you for your bladder issues. Retention can be a problem if you are holding back to much. Sometimes they will have you to self cath and messure the output to see how much you are retaining and if it's a large amount, then they may suggest you self cath all the time and or try some meds or other options. To much retention could back up into the kidney's and then there can be a real problem. My urologist has me get an ultra sound of my Kidney's, bladder and testiscles at least once a year to make sure all is good. My retention changes and he knows it's not feesable or easy for me to self cath since I have to wear diapers, so doing the ultra sound to keep check on things is very important to him.
Sounds like you have a good Urologist, seeing that he checks you each year for those parts .
Your also right in that urine retention can cause major kidney problems . When my urologist put me on Detrol & Myrbetriq , I suffered kidney troubles as they were causing me to have urine retention .

Zippy38b said:
Your urologist is the "bladder expert." That is his specialty. Seems strange he would want to wait on your PCP.

Peesalot said:
i was sent to a urologist at a doctors surgery if that makes any difference
Your urologist is the "bladder expert." That is his specialty. Seems strange he would want to wait on your PCP.

Definitely time for a second opinion as most urologists would want to handle your bladder issue, bladder retention can become a life threatening issue if you retain to much and it starts to seep back into your kidneys.

you may only have a slight retention issue at the moment but any retention is something that you should keep an eye on and have follow up appointments to make sure your retention is not progressing.

Talk to your doctor as he should have access to your test results and discuss with him if a second option may be a good idea

Reactions: Diaper44
Despite being incontinent, I have not been to a urologist. Even though my pcp wrote a referral for one. Last time I had a “minimal invasive” test, I wound up in the icu on a ventilator for days. Woke up asking the doctor if I made it to heaven and if she was my angel. Now I am afraid of them even though I was just allergic to the anesthesia. The ultrasound belly bladder scan in the er for shy bladder shows that it is highly enlarged and something like 200-300ml of retained urine.

Back