Best Diaper Pins

TenaciousDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
The last diaper pins I bought (I'm not sure where) turned out to be too dull and thick to get through my diapers without undue effort. Where do you other cloth diaperers get your favorite pins? Any reliable vendor recommendations?

Reactions: Cottontail and Edgewater
Snappis work great. $13 on amazon.

Reactions: Edgewater
I bought mine from Rods diapers in Salem Oregon, there about three inches long and work well

I have been buying stainless steel - old fashion diaper pins from the fabric store for years. I have found that the plastic receiver head style tend to vary in thickness and sharpness.

I have not used Snappis, likely do-to being old and that old dog thing.

Reactions: littledub1955, Lyric and TenaciousDL
plasticpants10 said:
I bought mine from Rods diapers in Salem Oregon, there about three inches long and work well
Is that Rod Cox diapers? I just checked that site and they do have nice looking pins at a good price. If this is the right site, have you tried any of their other offerings. The printed pre-folds look great.

Edgewater said:
I have been buying stainless steel - old fashion diaper pins from the fabric store for years. I have found that the plastic receiver head style tend to vary in thickness and sharpness.

I have not used Snappis, likely do-to being old and that old dog thing.
Me too. While I've been a bit curious about Snappis, I really enjoy the feel and look of pins. I think of them as the keys to the kingdom.

• Love
  • Celebrate
Reactions: littledub1955 and Edgewater
A tip for your diaper pins. Stick the points in a bar of soap, it will help the pins penetrate your diaper easier. You can leave some pins stuck in the soap for readyness and storage safely.
IMG_6720.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: littledub1955, Edgewater and sissybaby34
I use to only use pins but as I have aged it was getting harder to use them. I have switched to mainly boinggos and some times snappies.

I purchase my 3” pins from Rearz. They are perfect for double diapers but excessive for a single diaper. For those, I use standard ‘quality’ toddler diaper pins. I also use a bar of soap to lubricate the 3” pins as they are made from thicker material and inherently more difficult to pass through the diaper material. My husband also sharpens the tip of my pins from time to time as they dull.
One more thing…. I use in-out-in-out pinning technique to get a more secure fastening. It’s a learned operation but is worth the extra effort for an active diaper wearer.

• Love
Reactions: littledub1955, Cottontail, Edgewater and 1 other person
I generally use vintage baby diaper pins from eBay. Versus the modern ones, the points have a more gradual taper and seem to go through the fabric a lot more easily. If you buy new though, the Dritz brand is pretty good, and can be gotten from most fabric stores.

My own pinning technique is illustrated here. It's a little unconventional, but gets the pin into and out of the diaper over a very short distance, which helps ensure that the smaller baby pins don't pop open under tension. I do have an assortment of the larger "adult" diaper pins, but like Ellyn tend to reserve those for very thick (or double) diapers.

• Love
Reactions: littledub1955 and Edgewater
Back