Best diaper for side sleeper?

kerry said:
Hi, all,

I've been bladder IC for almost a decade, and I've tried lots of different diaper brands. I currently use BetterDry/Crinklz and sometimes MegaMax or Beyond XP5000 (mostly when I have a rash that requires something that fits differently). Over the years, though, I must have tried the majority of diapers from every available brand.

I have specific requirements I need in a diaper: it needs to fit well without slipping; it needs to hold a lot so it won't require frequent changes; it needs to wick moisture away quickly so it feels dry; it needs to resist leaking. Being cute is nice, but not a requirement. I've found that the BetterDry brands mostly satisfy my needs, but nothing seems to work well when I am in bed. I sleep exclusively on my side (specifically my right side), and although I've tried many different brands I have yet to locate a single one that (no matter what they may claim) prevents leaks from this position. I've started sleeping on a pad as well as wearing a diaper, which works to an extent but my movements while asleep often leave me no longer on top of it.

Has anyone found something that they know works?
I currently wear a Megamax with Northshore booster, then a good prefold cloth diaper over that, topped off with plastic pants from Northshore. I am constantly changing positions in bed and sometimes on my side.
I am most likely doing some wetting while asleep as I never remember every time I had to pee during the night. This morning I was practically floating inside those pants! The MM was drenched and the cloth diaper was as well with only a small area that was still dry. All this to say that it might not be possible to find the perfect night diaper that will prevent leaks while side-sleeping, but if you arrange some backup to support that diaper, you won't have any problems.
I hardly ever have any leakage on the sheets, but I have Northshore absorbent pads under the sheets as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
kerry said:
Hi, all,

I've been bladder IC for almost a decade, and I've tried lots of different diaper brands. I currently use BetterDry/Crinklz and sometimes MegaMax or Beyond XP5000 (mostly when I have a rash that requires something that fits differently). Over the years, though, I must have tried the majority of diapers from every available brand.

I have specific requirements I need in a diaper: it needs to fit well without slipping; it needs to hold a lot so it won't require frequent changes; it needs to wick moisture away quickly so it feels dry; it needs to resist leaking. Being cute is nice, but not a requirement. I've found that the BetterDry brands mostly satisfy my needs, but nothing seems to work well when I am in bed. I sleep exclusively on my side (specifically my right side), and although I've tried many different brands I have yet to locate a single one that (no matter what they may claim) prevents leaks from this position. I've started sleeping on a pad as well as wearing a diaper, which works to an extent but my movements while asleep often leave me no longer on top of it.

I wear a good pre-fold cloth diaper over my Megamax then a pair of plastic pants from Northshore and rarely have any leaks. It's still possible, but doesn't happen very often

Reactions: Edgewater and Constantlydamp
I know that prior to sleeping, I will wake-up flooded. As a result, I use the common precautions used as part of potty training a toddler limit liquid in take a couple of hours before bedtime. Does not stop the flood stated, but I can wear a MegaMax and Northshores diaper cover and not have a leak. One of the realities is that volume in closely reflects volume voided.
Only thing is that never allow yourself to become dehydrated!
Yes, I am a restless side-sleeper as well.

Reactions: Zeke and Diprs2
kerry said:
Hi, all,

ive found that abri form m4 diapers are the best for comfort and capacity side sleeping or not ive wet 4 times during the night and never leaked

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
Seni Quattro with Protex overnight plastic pants. I go to sleep on my side but I move around a lot, wake up on my back or tummy. Leaks are very rare and I sleep on a pad for those.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
For me, it's probably my thick washable diapers at night with a microfiber booster and plastic panties work best.

Reactions: Zeke, Diprs2 and Edgewater
Pino said:
I have got the same problem, using Betterdry, Attends Classic 10 and InControl Essentials, still leaking to often.

I just ordered some special pants to cover and prevent leaks that are not "PVC" alone and not that obvious a diaper cover.
They are tailored to give the briefs some room and have got some small absorbent capacity and a waterproof layer.
I will get them today and i am eager to test them.

They were a suggestion from a German Forum but are from the Netherlands.
@Pino
How did they work out for you?

The Brand appears to be “Adjust For You” based in the Netherlands

Reactions: Edgewater and Pino
247 said:
@Pino
How did they work out for you?

The Brand appears to be “Adjust For You” based in the Netherlands
Well, they are not as i expected.

Pro: The material and fit are good, i do like to wear them and together with a diaper they work well. I ordered two different versions, one high and one lower waist. The high version is able to cover a normal diaper well.

Con: Using them without a diaper looks (and feels) wrong. Only the low waist version has got some kind of leak proof layer, the high version does not, no idea why this is. The leak proof part is much to small and only in the crotch area (for women), not very functional for me, but it helps a little bit.

Conclusion: I do use them and like to wear them and will order some more, but they are not what i originally looked for.

I like to test some "Carer" product next time, i think the M99 fits my needs the best, but they are not available in my size, perhaps i will try the M67 instead, but the absorb part is not exactly where i need them.

Reactions: 247 and Edgewater
kerry said:
Hi, all,

I have severe OAB and urge incontinence, so I usually wake up when I start to wet at night and sit up in bed or occasionally will stay where I am if I happen to be on my stomach. I tend to sleep on my back, and the only place I have leaked is out of the top of the diaper at the front waist. I move around a lot when I sleep and the upper tapes either loosened or maybe the plastic stretched leading to the catastrophic leaks. I've used clear packing tape over the upper tapes and never had a problem since. A wet bed is bad enough, but we were sleeping in the guest bedroom at her parent's home. My wife's sister came by the next morning and was surprised that my wife was washing the sheets, to which my wife replied that I (me) sweat a lot when I sleep. I don't think the sister bought the story because the truth came out later. This could likely have been avoided had I been wearing cloth, which provides better protection than disposables in these sorts of circumstances.

Reactions: Zeke, Diprs2 and Edgewater
kerry said:
Hi, all,

By the way...how do you like the XP5000. I have ordered from XP medical for years, originally the Abena plastic-backed and for the last 10 years or so, the ConfiDry. I'm happy with the ConfiDry, but curious if the house brand is competitive.

parcelboy2 said:
There’s only one true type of diaper that works with side sleepers like your self
Good old fashion cloth diaper or in the UK terry towel nappies
Or the hybrid system that I use with a cloth diaper, a terry folded bath towel as a soaker, and a folded terry hand towel as a liner. Unfold the terry towel front and rear while leaving the crotch area still folded and you have a rapid absorbing “V” in the front and a feces isolating “V” in the rear. The terry absorbs quickly and then wicks to the cloth diaper eliminating leaks while sleeping on your side, the best of both worlds. Being dual ic, and a side sleeper, has led me to experiment to find a system that meets my needs. I’ve never found a disposable, even the mighty MegaMax, that handles side sleeping without leaks.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and 247
I have been incontinent for most of my life. I have one consistent solution for side sleeping with heavy wetting at night, at least for the female anatomy.
I have no sensation of bladder fullness or when actually urinating. I also have occasional retention that leads to flooding that occurs day and night.
I double cloth diaper using quality birdseye nighttime thickness prefolds in newer condition. The diapers that I use are actually one size larger than recommended for additional bulk.
I use EuroFlex quality but $$ plastic pants that are one size larger than recommend but fit my legs and waist snuggly, but not tight. These pants cover the double diapers completely, which is very important. Sizing charts usually have openings ranges listed.
This works well for me but I have in the past worn a pair of support panties over this to keep the cloth in good contact. The cloth quickly wicks the wetness into the diaper. Disposables don’t seem to utilize the whole diaper, which makes for a huge advantage for cloth. Too snug a support brief will make for an uncomfortable night and reduction in wicking effect.
The overnight diapers that are well used (thinner due to washing) get downgraded to daytime diapers. After ‘significant usage’, those get used as boosters or that time of the month diapers. Then finally shop rags and trash. That’s literally a few years of service for each diaper.
When we travel and cloth diapers are impractical, I currently use MegaMax with a booster AND and underpad and hope for the best. Much of the time, these will leak at least a little but the underpad and/or my nightshirt usually absorbs it.
I hope this information helps.

Reactions: PaddedRita, littledinogoesrawr, Zeke and 4 others
I’ve also found that disposables never use the whole diaper. They start leaking as soon as the middle part is saturated while front and back are still dry. It’s one of the reasons I dislike disposables.

When I have to use them while travelling I wake up more often because I’m worried about leaking … I tell myself to sleep face-down, but my sleeping self doesn’t always listen. So, yes, underpads.

Despite the baloney nonsense ballyhoo smug claims of diaper manufacturers about their high-tech innovations and 2, 3, 4 …. liters theoretical absorbency*, the only thing that I found to work 100% for side sleeping is old-school cloth and large enough plastic pants.

* I noticed there’s a kind of absorbency armament race going on: the disposables that target incontinent users are usually said to take max 3-something liters, but those there are now abdl-targeting brands that boast 5 and even 8 liters, if you’re willing to pay for it. I wouldn’t. Because: 1) I don’t believe it, 2) those prices are ridiculous, and 3) cloth works better anyhow, 4) is more comfy and 5) cuter 😘

Reactions: EcoIncon, Zeke, PaddedRita and 1 other person
Betterdry are working for me - side sleeping and heavy bedwetter

Last time I had this issues I was tossing & turning when I sleeping for some odd reason !
It just was just one of them restless night I guess .....

High-capacity disposable diapers with a high-quality plastic pant, I use NorthShore, MEGAMAX diaper and their Trifecta plastic pant. I am also, a heavy wetter and side sleeper. But agree that cloth diapers are the most consistent at handling side sleepers needs. I like NorthShore's Trifecta plastic pants for longevity and resistant to leaks.

If the padding and SAP were extended to the end of the wings of disposables in the front the rear wings would still be without padding and capable of overlapping the front wings and being taped in place. This would put absorbent material where it’s needed for side sleepers. Apparently, since no manufacturers are doing this, it’s not compatible with their manufacturing process. On the rare times that I wear an Abena Abri-Form M-4 to bed I can detect wetness sneaking down the sides from the padding in the front. Once it’s there and there’s no padding to absorb it it’s going to escape the disposable and it’s up to the plastic pants that I wear over them to contain it. This containment only lasts for so long before I get leaks from the plastic pants. I’ve read other’s posts about wearing cotton underwear, or some other cotton material, between disposables and plastic pants to absorb this leakage which sounds like it should be effective.

Maia said:
the only thing that I found to work 100% for side sleeping is old-school cloth and large enough plastic pants.
I'm a side sleeper (from what I know). I've never really considered cloth, mostly because I'm lazy. And...if I used cloth, I would think I need more padding on my side. Like pretty thick padding. Which I would feel. Wet or dry. Simply uncomfortable. Not to mention the feel of the comically thick padding. I don't like feeling it around in my crotch. Hard to sleep. Yeah, I know...the answer is some kind of extra padding. I use a medical disposable diaper (quality), a really good booster and plastic pants.
Maia said:
So, yes, underpads.
Without a doubt, bed pads. I tend to flood. Even with the best diapers, boosters and plastic pants, I need/use bed pads (along with a comfortable plastic mattress cover).

I have consider cloth diapers (I already use plastic pants) but I've already mentioned the issues. I know we are talking about sleeping issues. During the day? I just couldn't use them. Too much bulk. How do you camouflage a thick cloth diaper? Not too mention the gait. I'd waddle like a duck (at least until soaked). Disposable diapers (along with boosters and plastic pants) are hard enough. Cloth (day or night) diapers, I admit they do sound comfy.
Damm. IC sucks.

CrossfireDiaperHurricane said:
I'm a side sleeper (from what I know). I've never really considered cloth, mostly because I'm lazy. And...if I used cloth, I would think I need more padding on my side. Like pretty thick padding. Which I would feel. Wet or dry. Simply uncomfortable. Not to mention the feel of the comically thick padding. I don't like feeling it around in my crotch. Hard to sleep. Yeah, I know...the answer is some kind of extra padding. I use a medical disposable diaper (quality), a really good booster and plastic pants.

Without a doubt, bed pads. I tend to flood. Even with the best diapers, boosters and plastic pants, I need/use bed pads (along with a comfortable plastic mattress cover).

I have consider cloth diapers (I already use plastic pants) but I've already mentioned the issues. I know we are talking about sleeping issues. During the day? I just couldn't use them. Too much bulk. How do you camouflage a thick cloth diaper? Not too mention the gait. I'd waddle like a duck (at least until soaked). Disposable diapers (along with boosters and plastic pants) are hard enough. Cloth (day or night) diapers, I admit they do sound comfy.
Damm. IC sucks.
The reason cloth works so well for side sleepers is not because of more padding on the side (though there is some), but because cloth wicks like crazy. When you wake in the morning, it doesn't matter what position you sleep, every part of your cloth diapers are equally wet. If they are more than just damp, that means you need an extra liner, hence double diapering. You should not wake up feeling like you have a towel that fell in a swimming pool wrapped around you! Comically padded, yes! But only for bedtime.

Don't buy cloth diapers without getting all the important info first.

Zeke said:
If the padding and SAP were extended to the end of the wings of disposables in the front the rear wings would still be without padding and capable of overlapping the front wings and being taped in place. This would put absorbent material where it’s needed for side sleepers. Apparently, since no manufacturers are doing this, it’s not compatible with their manufacturing process. On the rare times that I wear an Abena Abri-Form M-4 to bed I can detect wetness sneaking down the sides from the padding in the front. Once it’s there and there’s no padding to absorb it it’s going to escape the disposable and it’s up to the plastic pants that I wear over them to contain it. This containment only lasts for so long before I get leaks from the plastic pants. I’ve read other’s posts about wearing cotton underwear, or some other cotton material, between disposables and plastic pants to absorb this leakage which sounds like it should be effective.

I don't normally sleep on my side because of these reasons and years of being incontinent I learned to sleep on my back or tummy.
But out of experiment just because I placed a small booster bad on each side and it worked pretty good.

Reactions: EcoIncon and Zeke
Back