Best Diaper Fold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiddlemiller

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've been using the butterfly fold (with a twist in the middle) because having the full width at each end of the cloth diaper to reach around my waist for pinning is necessary. I understand this fold is more often used for girls and I'm not female, but it's worked for me over a period of a few months. Today however I leaked down the inside of one leg despite wearing plastic pants. The diaper was barely wet so I must have put it on off center. This is the first time I've had a leak and it happened while I was sitting.
What fold works best for men? My plastic pants are quite large to accommodate a double diaper and I don't use a double, so maybe the plastic pants are too big.

I only use cloth at night time. I use this fold too. I tried kite fold and I didn't like that.

I have 4' x 4' terry squares. I fold them in half and then twist them in the middle by flipping one of the short lengths and then pin them at my sides with 4 big pins (2 each side).

I also use big plastic pants to easily fit.

I'd also be interested if someone has a better folding suggestion.

Thank you Osito for your answer. What is kite fold?

My mom put me into kite fold at 7 .
YouTube how to fold cloth diapers

I have been experimenting with cloth diapers also. I have some old 30x32 birdseye prefolds.
I have tried the twist, but found it doesn't work very well for the flexible spout.

I have two preferred techniques.

Flat Figure 8 - Fold prefold into thirds and just lay out front and back edges.

and more recently been using and prefer

Newspaper fold - fold the front corners in/down to get the angle (small side in front). If I sit on the diaper and again fold the crotch edges in and then pin in on, I get a great fit.

I am a 24/7 disposable wearer but have been eyeballing some more 36x36 birdseye flats for home use.

Last edited:
If you search "how to fold a cloth diaper" several sights will come up. There is several that show 5 and a few that show 7.

I prefer the "accordion fold" that is opened into a butter fly. It is a modification of a couple different styles.

Newspaper fold.

I find that the bikini twist works best for me. Take a 36" square diaper; fold it in half, put it under your body, twist it in the middle and pin each side. For overnight or if I need extra absorbency, I use two diapers, one on top of the other, then fold them. Works great with snap-on or pull-on plastic pants.

Fiddlemiller said:
Thank you Osito for your answer. What is kite fold?

It is best to see it on YouTube but you bring two opposite corners to the middle which makes a kite shape and then fold the small flap over and then fold the point over which then comes between your legs and pin in front. I didn't find it that comfortable though.

It is the bikini twist fold I'm currently using if that isn't clear in my post with a 48" square terry nappy.

I 'm going to try the suggestions here so thanks everyone for those.

I used a tri fold back when I was trying cloth. It's not very popular for some reason, but it worked for me.

Fold one side at about 1/3 the width, then fold it back over itself. Note this will create a channel running the length of the diaper. Repeat for the other side.

Now sit on the center of the diaper, and pull out to back corners to make the top back of the diaper flat again. Lie back and make sure it is positioned at your waist. Repeat for the front and pull it up between your legs. If the front waistband extends too high, just fold it in to create another channel for the front.

Pin the diaper on as tight as you can comfortably get it, at the very top of the waist band. (Cotton will stretch just a little when wet, and loosen a little when you move around). Also pin the diaper nice and tight right above your leg, or otherwise as low as you can. This will help make sure those channels stay intact, ans will help hold the diaper up.

Lastly, add a waterproof cover of your choice. I like the gary activewear pul pants myself, especially since you can machine wash them (but hang dry) with this, I never leaked once, and I'm a side sleeper. However, after half of a year or so my hips started hurting from all the bulk. I had to go back to disposables, but luckily found confidry with a baby diaper cupped around my pee pee (pointing up), would slow down the initial flood and redirect it the center of the diaper. I seldom ever leak with this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back