Being changed in hospital

Did they do the posterior approach Tenaman? I had the muscle sparing approach. They cut at about the 11:00 position. I had no pain. And was walking that night. No walker or cane.

• Wow
Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
I almost always change myself. Sometimes I do not even tell them I am incontinent although like you it is very well noted in my chart. Most of the time if I do tell them or need help they do not make a big deal. But I have had a few nurses be a bit rude. Like one that called my pull up period panties. I had my hip replaced a little over a year ago and I actually friday just got out from a 10 day stay for Bacteremia. (A blood infection) I am lucky to have a wife that helps me a lot too. Most nurses suck at placing tapes.

• Wow
Reactions: Diprs2, Pino and Edgewater
6 months ago I had gastric sleeve surgery and spent a night in the hospital and I was so embarrassed I didn't bring diapers with me, even though had I had an accident that would have been more embarrassing. Thankfully I woke up dry, but never again.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Diaperman95
princessarya said:
6 months ago I had gastric sleeve surgery and spent a night in the hospital and I was so embarrassed I didn't bring diapers with me, even though had I had an accident that would have been more embarrassing. Thankfully I woke up dry, but never again.
If you are not incontinent then you should not have to worry. If people are ABDL only they should not wear diapers to the hospital and certainly not expect the nursing staff to help change them. If they do wear a diaper it should be a medical diaper. Hospitals are not a place to display a fetish or try to act out a fetish of being changed.

I am not saying you did this or would do this, as you said you did not wear one. I only bring it up as you are not listing incontinence in your profile and I find it strange a non incontinent would need to wear in a hospital and highly wrong if they do.. as nurses are not there to role play a fetish. Again I am talking more in general to the ABDL that are not incontinent and not accusing you. I really stand up for the Nurses. I spend lots of time in hospitals every year. I just did 10 days and... I am having surgery wed the 14th and again on the 28th.

I assume you are use to letting go at night and might do it without realizing you are not diapered and that is what you meant but it kind of confused me.

Reactions: Diprs2, L2Sci, Edgewater and 1 other person
Diaperman95 said:
If you are not incontinent then you should not have to worry. If people are ABDL only they should not wear diapers to the hospital and certainly not expect the nursing staff to help change them. If they do wear a diaper it should be a medical diaper. Hospitals are not a place to display a fetish or try to act out a fetish of being changed.

I am not saying you did this or would do this, as you said you did not wear one. I only bring it up as you are not listing incontinence in your profile and I find it strange a non incontinent would need to wear in a hospital and highly wrong if they do.. as nurses are not there to role play a fetish. Again I am talking more in general to the ABDL that are not incontinent and not accusing you. I really stand up for the Nurses. I spend lots of time in hospitals every year. I just did 10 days and... I am having surgery wed the 14th and again on the 28th.

I assume you are use to letting go at night and might do it without realizing you are not diapered and that is what you meant but it kind of confused me.

I have OAB and a bedwetting issue that started slow and gradually increased to wear I wet more often than I don't. I didn't list incontinence because it's not a full thing. I do still have control, even though the increase in accidents made wearing 24/7 a smart choice and even then I talked to my BFF about it to make sure it wouldn't be weird to him. So to make a long story short, I should have worn one to play it safe. but didn't and thankfully didn't have an accident.

Last time was for the 3%-Saline-Infusion test, which, as i expected, made me crash hard, very hard.

When that happens i am not able to move, not able to speak or do anything at all but concentrating on not to die, at least it feels like that.
I asked for a Foley early myself, placed it and removed it later. When placing it a nurse was my third hand, helping me out.
All the nurses were very surprised about that and the doctor in charge asked about my incontinence. I thought it was the easiest way, diapers would have been more of a problem, i changed to them after the test for the night, but was able again to do so myself.

For me a Foley is more convenient most of the time, more accepted by the stuff and i do not had any problems with UTI until now.
Not to be able to change a diaper myself is nothing i am looking forward to.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Tenaman said:
I have had four spinal operations over the last 12 years and my incontinence issues are well recorded. I have worn adult nappies to manage my incontinence for over 35 years and as a rule have always been able to change myself, sometimes with a bit of help. Just recently however I had a hip replacement and changing myself when wet was out of the question. I generally go through four nappies a day and I was so embarrassed at having to tell the nurses I was wet and asking them to change me. But they were amazing about it although some struggled a bit fixing the tapes in the best place! I was in hospital for four days and they never made me feel awkward even checking every once in a while if I needed changing.
What experiences have others had?
I’m a nurse, and we change tons of diapers - our goal is provide comfort & dignity to everyone!

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, BabyLucifer, princessarya and 7 others
hanbanan said:
I’m a nurse, and we change tons of diapers - our goal is provide comfort & dignity to everyone!
Thank you for all you do.

BigAl1 said:
Did they do the posterior approach Tenaman? I had the muscle sparing approach. They cut at about the 11:00 position. I had no pain. And was walking that night. No walker or cane.
I honestly don’t know. Big 8” scar across hip and glute. But from what you describe it definitely was not the muscle sparing approach as 10 weeks on it is still painful especially at night! And my new hip leg is now 1” longer than the other one which is setting off my back. I’m sure it will all settle down.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, Diaperman95 and BigAl2
Ok though the glute is the old way. Your leg should not be longer. Sounds like they didn't seat the stem in far enough.

BigAl1 said:
I had my bilateral hip replacements at the same time, done posteriorly and was walking in two days with a walker. It was painful, but doable.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and BigAl2
I've spent way too much time in the ICU over the past few years and plainly REFUSE to go in when at the ER for issues (none this year yet though), and just go home, luckly i have PCA's full time these days.

But, in the ICU i always try to change myself, have had to ask for supplies a few times as wasnt planning on the trip and needed to change, but at some point i'd have someone get me my supplies from home as i prefer my stuff as opposed to the hospital crap.

That said, i've been changed whilst i was of course not aware/awake was brought in unconscious, albeit a couple times did end up with a cath, which one time i didnt even get a UTI, which is usually the case anytime i get a cath, as why i dont use them.

One time after falling out of the bed in the icu, and getting my hip hurt, and some bruises and ripping out 2 iv's and dislocating my bad shoulder...All cause they wouldnt put the side up (entrapment excuse, and i sleepwalk too) then wasnt to even get out of bed at all and they were always there to at least watch me change, but really didnt even want me to try, no middle ground i guess. But that was only about 3.5 days till I was transfered from the ICU and went to the heart wing for a few days, where i was able to change myself, even though it hurt.

Im not one to ask or even like to ask for others help if i can do it myself, and quite often get hurt doing things i really shouldnt be doing, end up breaking things, falls, and alike, or most likel just pay for it later in being bedridden for awhile.

But dont be like me, and do ask for help when you need it, I'm stubborn and stupid :). But really if you need assistance ask for it, I have asked for help with getting tapes done and such when my hands are not doing well and also when my shoulder was really bad help with some placement and taping as well, could do one side but not the other...

They are there to help if you need it, but if you dont, remeber they have other people that need help as well and quite often are understaffed and end up falling behind on things, so dont use the help if you dont need it.

As a side note, in the hospital DO assert your rights and keep an eye on things, they are human and make mistakes, like i had a time where a nurse brought drugs for high BP (Lowers BP) when i was in the ICU for LOW bp as it was, that would have not been good but i recognized the blue meds and refused them and talked with the doctor ASAP as it was NOT a good mistake for them to make. Or times when you know what you need and are not getting that as well.

Remember the differance between a Doctor and God.... God doesnt think he is a Doctor.

• Love
longislandguy said:
As an aside, “I wear nappies in hospital” is one of the most British sentences I’ve heard.
Yes, along with: "Keep calm and nappy on"
("Nappy' is used more than 'diaper' in Australia).
My severely incontinent wife spent her last 54 days in hospital and the nurses were wonderful, allowing me to carry on my caring duties in the wards as I had done at home, changing, showering, dressing, entering 'Staff Only' areas to disposed of used nappies and obtain new supplies of nappies and bed protection sheets, etc.
I did visit everyday (except for two weeks of COVID lock down = no visitors), a few of her nappies (put on when I was not there) were so badly attached that I had to re-do them or they would have leaked.
And no, this visiting husband did not get the opportunity to show those few unknown nurses how to change a nappy correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, Teddy02, BigAl2 and 1 other person
Tenaman said:
Thank you for all you do.
It’s an amazing job! I’m now in pediatrics, but I loved working in critical care & general care

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Tigercub59, ABChick and 2 others
Tenaman said:
Try not to worry and don’t put it off. My four spinal ops were decompression and discectomy at L4/L5/S1. Disc removed and fusion at C3/C4. A further decompression and discectomy at L3/L4 and the a further fusion at L4/L5. I was catheterised during the first op and next 24 hours and promptly got a UTI. Ever since then I have requested not to be catheterised and to wear the nappies instead and it has never been refused. All my ops have been at the same private hospital so they know me well, which probably helps. I hope your op goes well.
Had l4/5 and l5/s1 decompression, disc removal and fusion with cages and screws also done privately in Uk back in 2006. I wore nappies at night which nurses changed when stuck in bed with the wires, leg cuffs and drips all attached. They weren’t phased by this at all. Told them before surgery about my incontinence and they said bring in whatever products you use so that you are comfortable and less stressed. Also had two knee operations and each time I’ve gone to theatre in a nappy

Tenaman said:
I honestly don’t know. Big 8” scar across hip and glute. But from what you describe it definitely was not the muscle sparing approach as 10 weeks on it is still painful especially at night! And my new hip leg is now 1” longer than the other one which is setting off my back. I’m sure it will all settle down.
Mine was a very painful surgery and over a year later I am in PT again as it just did not ever solve my issues. I am in less overall pain now but my range of motion is way worse. I cant even put my foot on my knee to change a sock. Mine is a good 10 in along the side of my hip. He told me mine was a new tech that was a cross between posterior and anterior. It is a Robot assisted surgery though. It uses lasers to position the hip and tools and then has a robotic drill guide that makes sure everything is done at an exact angle and both legs remain the same size. I walked on mine the first night but it was with lots of tears and a walker. They removed my diaper during surgery and after surgery my legs was strapped into a big foam wedge when the urge to pee hit. I had not realized my diaper was removed and I soaked my foam pad and all my sheets. It suckked getting changed. To be honest I would of prefered a catheter and a extra day in the hospital too. I felt like I was just a sheep getting ran through a processing plant. My doctor later told me he did 8 to 10 knee and hip replacements a day. I still need my right replaced but I am waiting as long as I can... I had AV necrosis in both hips. Still do in the right.

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater and Pino
Your stories do frighten me a little bit i must confess. I do have many problems with my lower back, disc prolapse at L1 down to S1, with a lot of additional damage. I am not scheduled for any operation in that area, but i am very sure this will happen at some point.
Three weeks ago i was told by my orthopedist that my left hip movement is critical low, but i had not the time to ask about anything following up, i was there for my left hand and broken finger, which i did not realized and did Judo with for about six weeks.

What was the reason for hip replacement?

have never had a bad / negative experience in the hospital. staff has always been super friendly and helpful and professional. some staff are more attentive than other but still all good. it is kind of part of their routine when checking vitals also check in on the diaper situation. i would say there was one situation that makes me laugh and that was when there were three people around my bed (two nurses and an aid) at once. the aid was changing me with me assisting, one nurse was putting an IV in, and the other was explaining a test that i was about to get and the whole changing of my diaper was just a normal non notable thing to them other than a notation in my chart. part of caring for their patients

Reactions: Edgewater, Pino and jdinvirginia
Diaperman95 said:
I almost always change myself. Sometimes I do not even tell them I am incontinent although like you it is very well noted in my chart. Most of the time if I do tell them or need help they do not make a big deal. But I have had a few nurses be a bit rude. Like one that called my pull up period panties. I had my hip replaced a little over a year ago and I actually friday just got out from a 10 day stay for Bacteremia. (A blood infection) I am lucky to have a wife that helps me a lot too. Most nurses suck at placing tapes.
Diaperman 95, Tenaman, Edgewater, and you other artificial hip recipients what were your symptoms prior to your decision to get the replacement(s)? I’m working on 69 and although my legs are far weaker (a fact that becomes more apparent to me every time I climb on my Wide Glide) than they used to be while my knees and my hips have been nearly pain free and not a source of problems for me. I’m not complaining or attempting the often poo-pooed move of looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I’m very thankful that I’ve had very few problems and little pain from these critical joints, especially to those of us that live by ourselves (“care animals”…those that require your “care” for them not included”) in our “silver years”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
I had hip pain. When i couldn't sleep with it. I went for the surgery. It was in 2012. New hip is doing great.

Reactions: Pino and Zeke
Back