Bedwetting running in the family

PurpleScorpion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Other
Scientifically speaking, the chances of a child wetting the bed for a long period of time depends on if their parents did. There's a big statistical difference between bedwetters with no bedwetter parents and those with one bedwetter parent, and a smaller but still big gap between one parent who wet the bed and both having done so.

So, if you wet the bed, can you confirm if your parents did? Did your siblings?

If you are a parent who wet the bed, do your kids as well?

Reactions: Diprs2
PurpleScorpion said:
Scientifically speaking, the chances of a child wetting the bed for a long period of time depends on if their parents did. There's a big statistical difference between bedwetters with no bedwetter parents and those with one bedwetter parent, and a smaller but still big gap between one parent who wet the bed and both having done so.

Although that's true neither of my parents wet the bed but both me and older brother both wet the bed until we were teenagers. I stopped when I was about 13 and my older brother didn't stop until he was 15.

The worst part of it for us was that our younger brother never wet the bed at all. He was dry at night as soon as he was out of nappies. It was so embarrassing every evening being told not to drink anything before bed and being made to do a wee even if I didn't need one before putting on a pair of drynites all whilst my younger brother who found it hilarious that his older brothers still wet the bed as and to enjoy fizzy drinks before bed.

• Sad
Reactions: Lostdiapersboy, Diprs2, Monster3579 and 5 others
My grandfather, Mom's brother, his children, my half brother and me wet the bed growing up. I never asked dad or mom. Mom's brother wet the bed for a long time. I still wet the bed a few night a week. I think there is a strong genetic predisposition, especially since this bedwetting seems to have affected us all into puberty, so kind of atypical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and Monster3579
Bedwetting or nocturnal enuresis often runs in families. Bedwetting is frequently related to the insufficient production of anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) during sleep. One of the popular medications is delivered via a nasal spray. My bedwetting or more accurately diaper wetting; however, is volitional.

PurpleScorpion said:

Honestly, this is kinda interestesting.
I aint sure if my parents did to be honest, same for my siblings. But I was definitely the biggest bedwetter, if not the only one, as I wet well into my early 10s.
So I have a feeling I was probably the big odd one out in that regard, heh.

Reactions: Diprs2 and medfet878
Lostboy123 said:
He was dry at night as soon as he was out of nappies. It was so embarrassing every evening being told not to drink anything before bed and being made to do a wee even if I didn't need one before putting on a pair of drynites all whilst my younger brother who found it hilarious that his older brothers still wet the bed as and to enjoy fizzy drinks before bed.
That sort of thing can really feel you down and depress :(

Reactions: Diprs2 and medfet878
My dad and uncles- he had 2 brothers all were bedwetters until puberty. Most of my cousins, including the girls, all bedwetters past the age of 6, but most stopped by 10 or 11. I have one cousin a few yrs older than me that like me never stopped entirely after puberty.

My dad and uncle were both bedwetters until their early teens, and my brother until 15. I'm the only one that's always wet the bed

Reactions: Diprs2 and Cyprushill427
abdl86 said:
That sort of thing can really feel you down and depress :(
I know. It was even worse for my brother. He's only a year older than me and I started having dry nights and made progress a long time before he did. I was completely dry by the time I was 13 and was really proud of myself as were my parents and he was still wetting the bed nearly every night.

There was a point when my parents and even our doctor thought he might never grow out of bedwetting. I think there must be a cut off age maybe about 17 or 18 where if you're still wetting the bed then there's nothing that can be done and you're stuck with it for life.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, Monster3579, furry121 and 1 other person
Lostboy123 said:
I know. It was even worse for my brother. He's only a year older than me and I started having dry nights and made progress a long time before he did. I was completely dry by the time I was 13 and was really proud of myself as were my parents and he was still wetting the bed nearly every night.

There was a point when my parents and even our doctor thought he might never grow out of bedwetting. I think there must be a cut off age maybe about 17 or 18 where if you're still wetting the bed then there's nothing that can be done and you're stuck with it for life.
Did he manage to grow out of it then?

Yes some boys newer manage to grow out of bedwetting :(

abdl86 said:
Did he manage to grow out of it then?

Yes some boys newer manage to grow out of bedwetting :(
He did. When he was 15.

Reactions: Diprs2 and abdl86
Bedwetting absolutely runs in my family, all of my siblings were bedwetters into their teen years (I have two sisters and one brother)

Reactions: mender1243, Diprs2, TXbw86 and 1 other person
Growing up four of us siblings share a bed ,, almost nightly at least one of wet till we were around 10 -12 from six on if I woke up and the bed was wet I would just go ahead and wet.

• Wow
Reactions: Diprs2, wetnights, KCA and 2 others
chamberpot said:
Growing up four of us siblings share a bed ,, almost nightly at least one of wet till we were around 10 -12 from six on if I woke up and the bed was wet I would just go ahead and wet.
I did something like that when I'd wake up and either my cousin or our friend wet the bed we were sleeping in. I didn't pee in the bed, but would use my pull-up after waking up since I knew we would just put them in the trash bin to be emptied anyway. I thought it would make things less focused on who wet the bed when we had to tell parents later that there was an accident. We all kind of pointed the finger at each other so nobody would get reprimanded.

Reactions: Diprs2 and KCA
I was the only one of us 5 kids , lasted well into my late teens and still happens once in a while

As far as I know, neither of my parents wet the bed as youngsters. My only sibling (a sister), never wet the bed either.

So in my family, only I wet the bed.

The results of a study I've often seen says that if one parent wet the bed, then there is a 40% chance of a child wetting the bed later than is normal, and if both parents did it, then the chance increased to 77%. Whether or not this is true is a matter for conjecture, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. And I've been told more than once by medical professionals that it can be hereditary.

I cannot comment on siblings' bedwetting since I am an only child, but bedwetting (and also daytime incontinence in some cases) was common in my mother's side of the family. Mum herself was a late bedwetter and although she stopped doing it every night in her teens, it never stopped completely, and she was also prone to daytime accidents as well. She became totally urinary incontinent in her fifties, and remained so for the rest of her life.

This is obviously where I got it from, because my history is similar. Oh yes, it definitely runs in families!

both of my sisters were bedwetters along with me.
we wore something like training pants that we would put folded infant diapers in and plastic pants over.
as i got older i would wet in my sleep less but wake up in the middle of the night needing to go and just wet the diaper as i liked the warm wet feeling.

Reactions: Diprs2, sinceiwassmall and chamberpot
KrankyPants said:
I did something like that when I'd wake up and either my cousin or our friend wet the bed we were sleeping in. I didn't pee in the bed, but would use my pull-up after waking up since I knew we would just put them in the trash bin to be emptied anyway. I thought it would make things less focused on who wet the bed when we had to tell parents later that there was an accident. We all kind of pointed the finger at each other so nobody would get reprimanded.
Thats kind of nice. Good thing both of you did dent get reprimanded or that they split your up to know who wet the bed and who did dent.

Reactions: Diprs2 and KrankyPants
Back