Bedwetting end age

Full bedwetter more like a flood at nighttime wake up with pyjamas wet, diapers leaks most nights side sleeper, old git 69 don't care now.

Reactions: Lewis Badger, Diprs2, Wetshisbed and 1 other person
62 yo and still wetting nightly

Reactions: Diprs2 and chamberpot
4 when I stopped wearing nappies at night.

I always assumed it was 3 until I saw some photos from the family holiday we went on during which my 4th birthday happened and there’s a picture of me in pyjamas with an unmistakable nappy bulge and white plastic poking out.

I only had occasional bed wetting accidents after that.

I’m now back in nappies every night as I’ve always needed to get up in the night to wee and find that I get a better night’s sleep when I wear them.

My partner doesn’t mind at all, which is a bonus!

Reactions: Karoq, ogdlv, Diprs2 and 3 others
bedwetter bobby said:
Once a bed wetter always a bed wetter. It will start again>
My mother's saying "once a bedwetter always a bedwetter "

Reactions: Carterthug and Diprs2
Wetshisbed said:
My mother's saying "once a bedwetter always a bedwetter "
seems to be true for me at least for sure

Muhdeee said:
24 and it hasnt stopped yet!
Suppose your bedwetting DID stop? Speculate (as a 'bedwetting DL') what might become of your connection to diapers then? Just curious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
I stopped wetting every night until I was 11 and wore medical diapers. Then it was every few nights and then every few weeks until I was in my late teens. I had accidents every few months until my mid 20s and then every few years…. I still am not sure when the next time will come. If i have a heavy drinking night I might wet.
My parents bought me medical style blue tape diapers and then when I stopped wetting every night they tought me how to use the washing machine and I would take care of it And they never said anything when an accident would happen. If we went on holidays after I didn’t wear diapers to bed every night they always made sure that I wore them wile away as managing an accident on holiday is not easy…that was always hard on me having to have the talk…. We’re going on vacation and we got you diapers….we can’t have an accident we know you understand … blah blah it wasn’t meant to be a punishment nor was a made to feel that way even though I had no choice. It did give me feeling of resentment until i learned to accept it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lewis Badger, DiaperGirly, Stacy and 2 others
Around 10. But I don't recall it being abrupt. We had a chart on the fridge and I'd get a star if my diaper was dry when I got up and went into the kitchen in the morning.
I was put in cloth diapers and plastic pants before bed every night and changed in the morning. Was just a ritual. I'd be changed into clean diapers if I had to be in them during the day.
I think it contributed. But it was because of how naked I felt when I stopped being put in them. I started looking for substitutes... toilet paper, pillowcase, whether felt like a diaper so I could get to sleep.

Reactions: Lewis Badger and Diprs2
I was as old as eleven (or even six months older than that) when I stopped (aside from some sick days here and there). I think I occasionally started waking up dry sometime after my tenth birthday.

My mother handled this by putting me in diapers at night (at first Pampers and then toward the end one of the medical brands that looked like Pampers only larger). The bed had a mattress protector on it so the mattress on that bed is still clean to this day (over thirty years later).

My bed-wetting only started to become embarrassing around age nine or so when my ability to feel embarrassed finally started to kick in. I am on the spectrum (level one/mild) now (back then I might have been level two/moderate (but back in the 1980s and 1990s the testing was not all that precise)).

Reactions: ogdlv and Diprs2
I can't remember when I stopped wetting the bed, but I have done it a few times since marrying my wife. She was mad a fee times, because I would wake her up in the middle of the night to change the sheets. I don't know why have wet the bed since marriage. There has been a few times that I have been in deep deep deep sleep and woke up wondering why I was so sweaty only to realize I wet the bed, so I changed the sheets before my wife knew about it. I do have a small fantasy of wetting the bed, my wife getting tired of me wetting the bed, and forcing me to wear diapers again. I know my wife would never go for it, so I keep our bed dry. I haven't wet the bed in over 3 years now I think. But, you never know what the future might bring to me.

• Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2 and chamberpot
I stopped wetting before I was 3, but I never wanted to give up diapers. Now I'm mid 30s and waking up wet most mornings

Reactions: askmelater47, Diprs2 and chamberpot
Belarin said:
I can't really add any personal experience to this as aside from a very small number of accidents mostly when ill the only times I wet the bed was fully on purpose and that mostly stopped once I was able to consistently buy nappies whenever I wanted them as it was easier to clean up and hide the evidence.

I was however, actually doing a little bit of research and reading on this personally just this morning, so here is what I found.

From various studies conducted by different medical bodies (like the UK's NHS) it seems that children who are able to be completely dry without any issues are generally potty trained and dry at night by around age 4-5. Studies have shown that around 21% of 4 and a half year olds wet the bed less than twice a week and only 8% wet more than that, meaning 29% still wet the bed and 71% are dry at night by 4 and a half.

Some may take a little longer to be completely free of night wetting but the majority are mostly dry at night by about 4 and a half having maybe 2-4 accidents a month until around 5 years.
It is recommended by most bodies that if a child is still having 1 or 2 wet nights a week after the age of 5 to have them see a doctor in case of medical causes.

For those who do have a little more of a problem gaining control it is estimated (going from medical records) that around 15% of all children between the age of 5 and 10 will experience some degree of bedwetting. This number tends to vary by country for example in the USA the estimate is 15% in the UK it is 8-10%, by the age of 15 the estimates of children still wetting the bed regularly (even just once or twice a week) drops down to about 2-3%.

Various environmental, social and economic factors seem to impact this figure and the actual percentage may be higher as some families may not report it to their doctor so it never reaches their records.

To put that into perspective the UK has, at the last record update, around 10 million children in the school system (up to 16 years) 5.5 million of which are in primary school (ages 4-10). Using those percentages would mean in the UK alone possibly as many as 550,000 children between 5 and 10 still wet the bed regularly and 200,000 are still wetting the bed by age 15.

Studies also show that bed wetting tends to affect slightly more boys than it does girls with around 65% of records being for boys.

Studies also seem to show that children who are still wetting the bed more frequently than two or three times a week by the age of 8 are more likely to still have a problem by the age of 15 and onwards. While children who are able to get almost completely dry nights before that may or may not experience a relapse later on in their childhood especially in their early teens as hormones and other physiological changes happen. They are also more likely to be able to keep that dryness and control into adulthood.

Given that estimates are 1-2% of adults still experience nocturnal enuresis and between 5-20% of adults, depending on location, suffer from UIC it seems quite likely that most of the children who have not been able to stay dry at night by the age of 15 are likely to remain as bed wetters well into adulthood, joined by others who develop IC past their childhood.

I was unable to find any studies correlating UIC and nocturnal enuresis in adults to childhood bed wetting, but I also wasn't looking too deeply, I am sure studies like this have been carried out but they are buried deeper than a couple hours of poking around will produce.
Thank you for the insight into this here.
Perhaps this can be useful for retrospective reflection, as well as having some awareness for others who may face similar scenarios (e.g. partners, children, etc.).

Stacy said:
If you wet the bed at night as a kid, at what age did you stop? Did it turn off abruptly or was it a slow process? How did you and your parents handle it? (Plastic sheets, Goodnites, etc. Do you think bedwetting contributed to your DL tendencies?
  1. Primary enuresis until age 7 (so had bedwetting every night until then)
  2. Started sleeping dry all of a sudden, and I don't remember much relapse, if any, during when I was 7.
  3. I wore nappies to bed, but by 6/7 years of age they started to get quite tight as disposable Pampers/Huggies taped nappies only sized up to 5 years of age during that time, IIRC.
    I did try DryNites a little but I think that I may have had leaks after wearing to bed, so I continued to wear the Pampers/Huggies.
    Not sure if there were plastic sheets or not as I don't remember.
  4. Yes, I think it did, and it was not the only contributor!
    It seems like psychosexual development happened early for me because I noticed arousal from certain kinds of stimuli, even before I stopped bedwetting, so being accustomed to wearing nappies and having the weight of a wet nappy against my body probably influenced that to some extent.

Reactions: ogdlv and Diprs2
My childhood bedwetting completely stopped when I was 14. It was not a sudden stop at all, just random by then and frustrating since it was kinda unpredictable and we couldn't really figure out what the cause was but eventually it just decreased in frequency until mom pointed out after a couple weeks of being dry that she thought I was good and it might've stopped entirely. I got taken out for ice-cream to celebrate and actually remember that ice-cream trip pretty well surprisingly.

I hate to burst anyones bubble here but bedwetting as a kid wasn't fun. It was embarrassing and many steps were taken to keep it hidden from friends to avoid further embarrassment. My mom was a rockstar though and really supported me through it and helped a lot until it stopped.

Reactions: Palle, Luvshugs, Diprs2 and 1 other person
Andrewgdfw said:
Suppose your bedwetting DID stop? Speculate (as a 'bedwetting DL') what might become of your connection to diapers then? Just curious.
No Idea. I'd still prob wear from time to time for comfort

Reactions: Diprs2 and Andrewgdfw
I wet the bed every night until ten and a half. I wore huggies pullups and woke up with soaked. They even leaked a few times (including the one time that I had a friend sleep over). At that time, my parents got me a bedwetting alarm with a chart. It took two months, but it worked. I was officially dry. Although, I did wear goodnites to sleepovers, after I tried to go without it and ended up soaking my friends room.

life long bedwetter here and don't see that stopping. as a child it was an issue however as an adult it never has been. love and support are key, because stress and anxiety will only make it worse. my grandson is hit and miss with bedwetting so i am thinking it is a slow process growing out of it not an all of a sudden you are dry.

Yeah I was a bedwetter till into my 20s before it finally stopped

Reactions: DamianTheAngel and Diprs2
Wet every night til I was 13 or so, pretty heavy, I can remember the 6 tabbed depends being my last diaper I wore, before out growing bed wetting.

Nowididit said:
Much to the relief of my 2 brothers I was just over 6 when I stop wetting the bed. We shared a bed and there were many times they were wet in the morning. There was no bedwetting protection in my days and diapers were out of the question.
What era are we talking about here? No protection? Sounds like something akin to Oliver Twist! 😲

Back