Bedwetting and Gen-Z

abcde12678

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I know we all know bedwetting is more common than we all realize and is largely underreported, and that statistics saying things like “only 1-2% or older teens still wet the bed” are probably way too low.

Gen-Z tends to be a more accepting and non-judgemental generation.

Do you think as more of Gen-Z enters adulthood there will be more adults willing to admit they they are bedwetters, even as adults?

A recent example I saw of this was a popular 20-year-old TikTok star freely admitting on his page that he still pees the bed sometimes.

Wondering if more people sharing anecdotes like this will lead to more accurate statistics on Bedwetting since people will feel less ashamed to share even with doctors or surveyors?

Also wonder if this could be why we’re seeing companies like Goodnites making larger sizes.

• Love
Reactions: AshtonFreecss, InconLifer, Diprs2 and 3 others
abcde12678 said:
I know we all know bedwetting is more common than we all realize and is largely underreported, and that statistics saying things like “only 1-2% or older teens still wet the bed” are probably way too low.

Do you think as more of Gen-Z enters adulthood there will be more adults willing to admit they they are bedwetters, even as adults?

A recent example I saw of this was a popular 20-year-old TikTok star freely admitting on his page that he still pees the bed sometimes.

Wondering if more people sharing anecdotes like this will lead to more accurate statistics on Bedwetting since people will feel less ashamed to share even with doctors or surveyors?

Also wonder if this could be why we’re seeing companies like Goodnites making larger sizes.
A good question, AB. There is a trend toward more openness that started long before Gen-Z. We will see where it leads.

Reactions: Diprs2, Joeysms, sledder23 and 1 other person
BuddyBoy said:
A good question, AB. There is a trend toward more openness that started long before Gen-Z. We will see where it leads.
So very true BuddyBoy. Every generation believes that they are the home of being more open than the prior generation(s).

Understand that this is the Incontinent Forum and members here bridge a wide cross-section of generations and are also highly acceptant of wearing protection with a high-number who are 'Okay' with wearing diapers.

The offerings of the major diaper manufactures increasing lines (including larger sizes) and volume as seen in ever increasing market place availabilities. And, at the same time the existing number of Adult diaper manufacturers all combining to define a growing market of those individuals that "NEED" to wear daily, plus those who choose to wear diapers.

It is not a specific generation that will cause a change, but the effects of ever increasing numbers of individuals who know family members, friends, neighbors and associates who "NEED" to wear protection, every day. As a result, 'they' will be more accept when they come across others that "NEED" to wear diapers.

The ABDL community will within the overall cluster find acceptances.

Reactions: Diprs2, LordDuque, Happy2BeInNappies2 and 3 others
As a gen x’er, I’ve known others over the years who wet the bed or dealt with incontinence, and in each case it would seem that they were the only ones who had the problem until conversation opened up truth that more dealt with it including myself.

I’ve always dealt with it, and knowing it is a result of my type 2, I can guarantee there will be many more over the years who join the ranks of incontinence. Something like 43million in American alone that are prediabetic and unless things change, many more will have this condition. I’m one of the ones that’s “OK wearing diapers”. Not my first choice in underwear, but thankful I can lead a normal life with bladder urge incontinence. I’ve grown comfortable wearing them and owe a lot of that acceptance to those on this and other forums that help normalize the condition.

As a gen x’er, I’ll always extend grace to those with medical conditions, and will say thanks to the ABDL’s for encouraging improvements to better the offerings in protection and products that keep me dry.

Wish everyone the best on this journey!

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Happy2BeInNappies2, EcoIncon and 2 others
Edgewater said:
So very true BuddyBoy. Every generation believes that they are the home of being more open than the prior generation(s).

Understand that this is the Incontinent Forum and members here bridge a wide cross-section of generations and are also highly acceptant of wearing protection with a high-number who are 'Okay' with wearing diapers.

The offerings of the major diaper manufactures increasing lines (including larger sizes) and volume as seen in ever increasing market place availabilities. And, at the same time the existing number of Adult diaper manufacturers all combining to define a growing market of those individuals that "NEED" to wear daily, plus those who choose to wear diapers.

It is not a specific generation that will cause a change, but the effects of ever increasing numbers of individuals who know family members, friends, neighbors and associates who "NEED" to wear protection, every day. As a result, 'they' will be more accept when they come across others that "NEED" to wear diapers.

A broader perspective well stated,Edgewater.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
Edgewater said:

This! The growing acceptance across the population of all things (I hope), will lead to wider awareness and acceptance for those of us with the need, or desire, to wear diapers.

cloakplt said:
This! The growing acceptance across the population of all things (I hope), will lead to wider awareness and acceptance for those of us with the need, or desire, to wear diapers.
At present you can get away with “acting like a baby” as long you are comedic, just as men have done for generations acting like women. What you can’t do is act like you like it and are not merely making fun of it.

Reactions: Diprs2, Happy2BeInNappies2 and cloakplt
sledder23 said:
As a gen x’er, I’ve known others over the years who wet the bed or dealt with incontinence, and in each case it would seem that they were the only ones who had the problem until conversation opened up truth that more dealt with it including myself.

I’ve always dealt with it, and knowing it is a result of my type 2, I can guarantee there will be many more over the years who join the ranks of incontinence. Something like 43million in American alone that are prediabetic and unless things change, many more will have this condition. I’m one of the ones that’s “OK wearing diapers”. Not my first choice in underwear, but thankful I can lead a normal life with bladder urge incontinence. I’ve grown comfortable wearing them and owe a lot of that acceptance to those on this and other forums that help normalize the condition.

As a gen x’er, I’ll always extend grace to those with medical conditions, and will say thanks to the ABDL’s for encouraging improvements to better the offerings in protection and products that keep me dry.

Wish everyone the best on this journey!
As a fellow Gen Xer, I totally agree but I do think there is a fair point to be made that the generations that came after us were socialized differently than our generation and those before.

They grew up with pull-ups in ever-larger sizes and there was a societal shift in thinking that some kids just take longer to get it all together when it comes to bedwetting, and there is nothing shameful about that.

For geezers like you and me, it was expected that we would pretty much have it sorted by the time we were three. Any kid that wet after that age was slow, emotionally damaged or lazy.

My Boomer mother was a wetter. My grandparents would hang her stained sheets and mattress out to dry. Naming and shaming were considered perfectly acceptable back then.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, chamberpot, Edgewater and 3 others
JDCH said:
As a fellow Gen Xer, I totally agree but I do think there is a fair point to be made that the generations that came after us were socialized differently than our generation and those before.

They grew up with pull-ups in ever-larger sizes and there was a societal shift in thinking that some kids just take longer to get it all together when it comes to bedwetting, and there is nothing shameful about that.

For geezers like you and me, it was expected that we would pretty much have it sorted by the time we were three. Any kid that wet after that age was slow, emotionally damaged or lazy.

My Boomer mother was a wetter. My grandparents would hang her stained sheets and mattress out to dry. Naming and shaming were considered perfectly acceptable back then.
I had diapers for my bedwetting until I outgrew the largest toddler diapers around nine years old. This was the 1970's where disposable diapers meant fan-fold Pampers with plastic or rubber pants. I would have loved the opportunity to have pull-ups or other protection from then until the first Depends came out in the mid-80's.

I know exactly what you mean about the 'name and shame' attitude. My mother was one that felt embarrassment and humiliation would be the impetus I needed to get dry. I was more than happy to let my kids use pull-ups as they grew up. No need to make them feel bad about something they could not control.

Reactions: Hell2DaNaw, Diprs2, Edgewater and 3 others
I don't think things would have changed much statistically. There's always been people in their early 20s and beyond who wet the bed (as this forum would well know). But I think there's an element of the culture that means this guy doesn't feel like he's going to be permanently shunned for admitting it.

It was still an out there thing for him to say and you can tell the other hosts are a bit weirded out but it's not like they're going to shun him or anything.

Like it sucks to be nighttime ic and is a bit odd to most people past a certain age but I think there's more understanding that it's a medical thing so and gen z is far more accepting of that stuff.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Happy2BeInNappies2
JDCH said:

Things sure have changed. Bedwetting meant waking up in wet pjs on wet sheets for a lot of us. And bedwetting was considered and often dealt with as a discipline issue.

Reactions: WBxx, Diprs2 and JDCH
JDCH said:

I've often thought about how psychologically different it must be because now there are different products for different ages, like pull ups and goodnites, etc., whereas when I was a kid, if you wet the bed, you wore DIAPERS, the same ones babies wore, Pampers, Luvs, and Huggies. The same with cloth diapers; there was no other word/concept for it but "diaper." I wonder if it carries a greater degree of humiliation for the pre-pull up ABDLs.

Reactions: Diprs2, Happy2BeInNappies2 and JDCH
oh yup, I am one of those Gen X people more on the later side of that generation. So when I was put back into Diapers at seven years old, it was the mid 80s. And it was definitely Huggies. I remember that very clearly. My initial reaction was not wanting to wear them, but I think secretly I didn’t want to and was just was afraid of what my mom‘s reaction would be. Since I was going to be in them anyways for a little while by the time that was done, which I think was only a few weeks I definitely remember telling her that I wanted to wear them more. This didn’t happen though. Well, we all know what happens from here if you put back into Diapers at such a young age. This happened to me because I would have accidents because I would be too busy doing whatever to bother with using the bathroom. Not sure if this is a developmental thing, I was born six months early, but I’m not very cognitively, impaired or anything, maybe slight autism, and I did have sensory issues when I was a kid apparently. and definitely visually impaired. So who knows why I had accidents back then. Like we all know this started things and there were a few other times where I tried to be forced back into Diapers didn’t work until I was like 18 or so when I started having some instances of freedom where I would be able to go into town or whatever and get Diapers on my own but when you’re visually impaired, you can’t drive. It means this is ridiculously hard to do. I still manage to find ways, but really didn’t start my diaper wearing consistently until college. I’m sure dead for wearing in the past 25 years or so has become a lot more excepting, a lot of things have changed since then as far as what Diapers are available so I’m not really surprised. 945 and I’m in Diapers 24/7. I am one of those people with type two diabetes , and it’s only just now starting to kind of affect my bladder, and also bowels. But most of these things are because of the meds that I take. So for me, Diapers, and more of a just in case thing, but since I’m in them anyways, I’m just used to using them all the time.

Reactions: Diprs2
PampersTheMan said:
I've often thought about how psychologically different it must be because now there are different products for different ages, like pull ups and goodnites, etc., whereas when I was a kid, if you wet the bed, you wore DIAPERS, the same ones babies wore, Pampers, Luvs, and Huggies. The same with cloth diapers; there was no other word/concept for it but "diaper." I wonder if it carries a greater degree of humiliation for the pre-pull up ABDLs.
I suspect not. As society has become more accepting of just about everything everything (eg. LGBTQ, most [but not all] fetishes, religion/atheism, etc…), I think the idea that everyone is on their own journey and they will get there when they get there has become more prevalent.

When you stop making things shameful, people stop being ashamed of who they are. What a radical concept!

abcde12678 said:

I think Cash Baker isn't representative of most Gen Z.

I suspect that the exchange of ideas and information via the internet has made younger generations more open and more willing to share. I wonder if that will change as they age. As we get older and more entrenched in our jobs, we tend to become more guarded.

• Thinking
Reactions: Diprs2 and chamberpot
From everything I have read on here nobody is rushing out to inform everyone that they are still bed wetting into later life Boomer here and I always get confused on the different Gens what is the Gen coming up next

BuddyBoy said:
i agree i don't think it has to do with generations. for me i believe it is our technology and explosion into social media connecting people and spreading information world wide. people have always talked about this and other stuff just the forum for the talk has changed. i like to say people haven't truly changed only technology has.

abcde12678 said:

If we are talking about some sorts of pseudo-celebrities I think its far more likely this person is just trying to low-key come out about their ABDL-ish tendencies lol. Or maybe not, who knows. Medically it is pretty rare for adults to wet the bed without a specific medical issue. Its why people like me have to try so hard to do it, lol.

I know I have been open about my with my doctor and some people I just don't go around yelling I still wet the bed lol

Back