Attends with inner plastic liner

This is really interesting - these are not the ones that where sold in Germany. Unfortunately I didn’t found a picture - but the German ones where completely white and had a real very soft plastic foil inside with the characteristic “v” holes in it. They where already equipped with SAP - what was pretty new at this time.

I think I found at last the ad for this diapers - they where from 1985, and since this ad is for the english market they were propably sold in the US too. In the closeup you can see the design of the inner plastic layer with the holes that acting like valves.

95E4C75F-8332-4F3C-862E-B888E0EE3847.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 56273, Deleted member 57387 and BobbiSueEllen
Wow...why the flood of Angrys?

Drykid doesn't like Attends?

Reactions: Deleted member 57387
Dunno, he just went on some rampage. Anyway, I might have to get some new Attends and test-soak them. :cool:

Reactions: Deleted member 57387
One thing those vintage attends did really well was neutralize urine odor.

ArchtopK said:
One thing those vintage attends did really well was neutralize urine odor.
And that's what I loved about vintage Attends: their smell. Nothing like Pampers, but still was a nice smell.

• Love
Reactions: ArchtopK, Deleted member 56273 and Deleted member 57387
The issue is that P&G sold out to a company that didn't want to do the retail market, abdicating that largely to KC's Depend brand. Nothing was as bad as the current sale to Domtar (which does indeed also own HDIS). Both Attends and HDIS have turned into absolute crap. The HDIS catalog had nothing in it of late other than useless gadgets and their own Reassure brand. Attends have gotten progressively worse with the changes.

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Yeah, I agree. HDIS...ugh. Even their name suggests it: hideous. They ruined Attends. I don't get why P&G, which pioneered the first mass-marketed disposable diaper and did such a great job with it, would want to stop making Attends. They were the perfect bang-for-buck adult diaper for the time...and far better than that horrid Depend brand.

I know, I know..."Times change, diapers change"... :cry:

• Angry
Reactions: Subtlerustle and Deleted member 56273
I think P&G decided that essentially a "paper" business that was only a minor "health care" market just wasn't in their core business. The companies that have owned Attends since have all been paper companies (including the current Domtar). I don't think they expected the consumer market for this stuff to explode (especially at the low end) like it has.

Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and BobbiSueEllen
The only things which seem to grab my negative attention regarding perforated plastic vs. rayon linings:

1. Flow rate: if one was to remove the linings from the competitive diapers and make equal-sized air filters to check flow rate, I'm sure the perforated plastic would show greater airflow restriction. This would likely be very similar with 98.6-degree urine, as well, being that aerodynamics and hydrodynamics are remarkably similar to each other;

2. Capillary action: water loves to cling to things, especially small holes, such as exhibited in medical pipettes. Any water of virtually any composition or temperature, provided the viscosity was about the same, would not want to permeate perforated plastic as easily as rayon...and would probably require some degree of force through said plastic to keep up with rayon's wick-and-flow attributes to get into the diaper's padding where it belongs. Which explains why I'd often leak more when wetting in plastic-lined Attends because their flow-through rate just wasn't as good as the rayon-lined ones. And no wonder those diapers felt uncomfortably sticky, even a tad slimy. Ew!

That's why I hated plastic-lined. A diaper should feel reasonably comfortable, even when wet, and those didn't do it. Perhaps if more nurses and nursing staffers were compelled to wear and wet diapers here and there, they'd understand, empathize and advocate more. After all, most people in medical school get to experience what they will eventually give to their patients: blood draws, injections, IVs, various exams...even pelvic (and males have to experience that, too)! So my opinion: make them wear and wet a few diapers! A little compelled empathy goes a loooong way in both comfort and R&D.

Reactions: slimjiminy, antte91 and Deleted member 56273
yes - this was exactly the reason why they disappeared that fast :)... And if it comes to the paper companies...:

That was an...odd...video.

Reactions: antte91 and Sourpants2013
Maybe - but it shows where the business is heading on (or at last try to)... So bad luck for Domtar and PaperPak :)

Reactions: Deleted member 56273
I guess that makes us the Renegades of Fluff... 😂

Reactions: mickdl
BobbiSueEllen said:
Not sure about that but the plastic inner-lining Attends I had were definitely perforated poly. I pulled one apart and the lining stretched, the holes elongated, the plastic stretched and ripped, just as the plastic of the outer shell. Hated, hated, hated those diapers!

Domtar totally ruined the brand, I'm afraid AIP (American Industrial Partners) will make things much worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: mickdl and BobbiSueEllen
mickdl said:
This is really interesting - these are not the ones that where sold in Germany. Unfortunately I didn’t found a picture - but the German ones where completely white and had a real very soft plastic foil inside with the characteristic “v” holes in it. They where already equipped with SAP - what was pretty new at this time.

Not all German-made Attends sposies were white.

The ones I wore as a teenager had an adorable baby blue plastic backing which was very buttery soft, crinkly and comfortable.

Hey, spotted these vintage baby blue Attends on eBay and had some questions for those who remember wearing them.

Auction is here:

Here are some photos:

*click thumbnails for larger views*

Attends vintage32.jpegAttends vintage33.jpegAttends vintage34.jpegAttends vintage35.jpgAttends vintage36.jpgAttends vintage37.jpgAttends vintage38.jpgAttends vintage39.jpg

Some of you have already commented on how the lining felt next to your skin and privates... How did the famous micro pore lining feel when you ran your hands and fingers across it? Did it feel like plastic or did it feel like cloth? Was it chaffing to the privates but soft to the touch? It looks like it might be a little bit rough on the privates but coming from someone who has a fetish for textures (like the diamond embossing on 70s Pampers) the inside lining of these vintage Attends actually looks kinda arousing.

I don't really need diapers for the wetness absorption factor, but I am curious if this micro pore lining was effective at holding liquid and stopping leaks or not. Anyone who wore these recall the details?

• Love
Reactions: WillFord384, Deleted member 56273, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
Oh, and these vintage micro pore Attends came in white as well blue...

Auction is here:

Here are the photos:

*click thumbnails for larger views*

Attends vintage40.jpgAttends vintage41.jpgAttends vintage42.jpgAttends vintage43.jpgAttends vintage44.jpgAttends vintage45.jpgAttends vintage46.jpg

• Love
Reactions: WillFord384, mickdl, Deleted member 56273 and 2 others
I have a couple from the late 80s and they were huge! They had only two tapes on each side, a shiny ultra crinkly plastic and the micro pore inner lining. I dont wear them because they are so rare now. But boy are they thick and crinkly! Take me right back to my thick plastic diaper days as a child. Boy would I love to see some sort of vintage Attends replicas come out.

• Love
Reactions: 70sPampers, Deleted member 56273, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
Back