At what age growing up did you stop wetting your bed

Lyric said:
I quit wetting my bed when I was 17 but I liked waking up wet so when I left home for good I'd wear diapers at night when I could so I could wet during the night and wake up with soaked diapers. I started wearing diapers and rubber pants full time around 15 or more years ago and wet my bed most nights. I still love to wake up in the morning with soggy diapers. At least for me I've never really grown out of enjoying wearing diaper to bed and wetting myself. Going to sleep at night in diapers and rubber pants lets me sleep so much better.
I definitely sleep better in nappies and plastic pants and love waking up wet every morning.

Reactions: Lyric, Diprs2, chamberpot and 1 other person
Given the choice between diapers and waking/getting up for the bathroom can’t fathom anyone choosing the later. But some do!

Reactions: Diprs2
I seem to remember that I was somewhere in the ten to eleven range when I pretty consistently woke up dry (at least when I was healthy and well-rested).

Reactions: Diprs2
I stopped completely around age 12 but then it came back at age 18 at college. In a way I was glad I was use to wearing plastic underpants and absorbent underwear with them to manage. It made it easier to put myself back into snap on diapers and plastic underpants in college. Nowadays training underwear and plastic underpants (PUL) work great for me at night.

Reactions: Diprs2 and SDB2014
Never stopped

11, plus one accident when I was 12.

maisan said:
I remember stopping when I was around 12 or 13. Though it was probably somewhat earlier, as it took me some time to final ditch the pull-ups. I had a pretty substantial period of dryness before it restarted (albeit less often) when I was around 16. Thinking back on it, this might’ve been caused by stress since my high school years caused me some major anxiety. Since then I’ve been dry most nights of the week but still have some nights where I wet. it’s definitely a lot less than it was when I was younger though!
Is your current bedwetting also stress-related?

Not entirely convinced I ever did to be honest. The main intervention that made the most difference was my parents waking me up in the middle of the night every night so that eventually I did it automatically. That ended the nightly accidents. However, there were still nights when I was super tired so would wet if I didn’t wake up. It also didn’t help that the first sleepover I did when things improved due to this workaround of getting up automatically I didn’t wake up and unsurprisingly wet the bed so I was always super paranoid on school trips and sleepovers.

Once IBS developed I also had accidents at night so I think maybe there’s a fundamental issue with sleep there (due to my Autism and ADHD maybe?)

One of the things Long Covid has done is mess with my sleep and I’ve stopped getting up at night so wonder if that’s part of it. Either I wet at night or wake up in the morning bursting and immediately wet. The neuro issues are definitely the main thing.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: gobphus
About 14 years old around the time I hit puberty

InconLifer said:
Not entirely convinced I ever did to be honest. The main intervention that made the most difference was my parents waking me up in the middle of the night every night so that eventually I did it automatically. That ended the nightly accidents. However, there were still nights when I was super tired so would wet if I didn’t wake up. It also didn’t help that the first sleepover I did when things improved due to this workaround of getting up automatically I didn’t wake up and unsurprisingly wet the bed so I was always super paranoid on school trips and sleepovers.

One of the things Long Covid has done is mess with my sleep and I’ve stopped getting up at night so wonder if that’s part of it. The neuro issues are definitely the main thing.
You were brave to go on school trips and sleepovers. Were you always able to wake up in time to keep your bed dry? It’s sad that you have long COVID. What other neuro symptoms do you have?

Reactions: InconLifer
nappyboy2 said:
About 14 years old around the time I hit puberty
Lucky you! At puberty my bedwetting became erotic, which resulted in another 8 years of occasional semiconscious wetting.

• Love
Reactions: chamberpot
I don’t remember the time I was diapered at night. My mom has said I was potty trained just after age 2, and I must have been out of diapers at night soon after. Some of my earliest memories are when my mom was pregnant with my youngest brother who is almost exactly 4 years younger. I know I was out of diapers at night before that, and I remember a specific bed-wetting incident around the time he was born. It wasn’t a regular occurrence, but probably happened once every few months, often enough to have a waterproof pad under my sheets until age 9 or so. This was before the era of pull-ups and Goodnites. The last time I recall wetting the bed was when I was 10. I remember it because it was out of the blue after probably a year or more of no night accidents. I no longer had protection on my bed, and I woke up in the middle of the night cold and wet with my PJs and mattress absolutely soaked.

• Wow
Reactions: Miketech88 and gobphus
gobphus said:
You were brave to go on school trips and sleepovers. Were you always able to wake up in time to keep your bed dry? It’s sad that you have long COVID. What other neuro symptoms do you have?

Barring that first sleepover incident, I was lucky and didn’t wet the bed on trips and sleepovers. I was super strict with limiting fluids after meal times (which probably wasn’t healthy!) and avoided caffeine. I was also lucky that my friends weren’t in the crowd of getting drunk and going to crazy parties. I did go to one such party in my teens, got crazily drunk but went back home and so whilst I had an accident, it wasn’t in public as it were.

The only time I was super anxious on a trip was on a German exchange as I figured as I was staying with a family it’d be harder to hide it. Fortunately I stayed dry. It was the only time I was actually going to bring up my issues with my parents. When it became much rarer, I’d just hide it as I was too embarrassed to say anything to them. Thing is, they must have known as they laundered my sheets. Also, my daytime issues must have been blatantly obvious.

I think the first sleepover incident was basically because I was too polite to decline hot drinks close to bed and I was on medication so was overly confident I’d stay dry whatever.

My main Neuro symptom is that the right side of my body doesn’t work properly (spasms, weakness etc.)

• Thinking
InconLifer said:
Barring that first sleepover incident, I was lucky and didn’t wet the bed on trips and sleepovers. I was super strict with limiting fluids after meal times (which probably wasn’t healthy!) and avoided caffeine. I was also lucky that my friends weren’t in the crowd of getting drunk and going to crazy parties. I did go to one such party in my teens, got crazily drunk but went back home and so whilst I had an accident, it wasn’t in public as it were.

The only time I was super anxious on a trip was on a German exchange as I figured as I was staying with a family it’d be harder to hide it. Fortunately I stayed dry. It was the only time I was actually going to bring up my issues with my parents. When it became much rarer, I’d just hide it as I was too embarrassed to say anything to them. Thing is, they must have known as they laundered my sheets. Also, my daytime issues must have been blatantly obvious.

I think the first sleepover incident was basically because I was too polite to decline hot drinks close to bed and I was on medication so was overly confident I’d stay dry whatever.

My main Neuro symptom is that the right side of my body doesn’t work properly (spasms, weakness etc.)
Oh! Is the weakness stable? Do you have any brain fog?

I'm impressed that you risked going to Germany and staying with a family, but apparently you judged the risks of wetting correctly.

gobphus said:
Oh! Is the weakness stable? Do you have any brain fog?

I'm impressed that you risked going to Germany and staying with a family, but apparently you judged the risks of wetting correctly.

Yeah, it’s pretty much a constant - medication has removed a lot of the discomfort but not the spasming.

I don’t think there was much judgement to be fair! As a lot of stuff at that age (I was 14 at the time) if my friends did something I wanted to. Plus, the German students came over here first and I was never worried about having people over to my house as I was at home so it could be hidden if the worst happened. I did get super stressed before going to Germany though and was always worried when I was over there. I often reflect about how much easier life would have been as a kid if I’d just spoken to my parents!

Last edited:
InconLifer said:
Yeah, it’s pretty much a constant - medication has removed a lot of the discomfort but not the spasming.

I don’t think there was much judgement to be fair! As a lot of stuff at that age (I was 14 at the time) if my friends did something I wanted to. Plus, the German students came over here first and I was never worried about having people over to my house as I was at home so it could be hidden if the worst happened. I did get super stressed beforehand and was always worried when I was in Germany. I often reflect about how much easier life would have been as a kid if Id just spoken to my parents!
Talking with my parents about my bedwetting was impossible for me, even though they didn't punish or even shame me for it. I just knew that my mom hated "those peepee sheets!" We never talked about bedwetting as a practical problem to be dealt with in a practical way. At one point they put my younger brothers back into diapers and I was afraid they would make me wear them too, but they didn't. That's why it surprised me when I wanted very much to wear diapers when I first learned of adults wearing for fun many years later.

Never totally stopped - got much less mud tens onwards, but came back seriously at 40

• Thinking
jamie72 said:
Never totally stopped - got much less mud tens onwards, but came back seriously at 40
What happened at 40 to cause the return of bedwetting?

I wet the bed until I was six. My siblings were dry before me. Our nanny would put me into terry nappies and waterproof pants after evening bath time. I was then dry for about 5 years and then started wetting the bed again when I was away at boarding school. The matron and her staff were very understanding and there were about 10 of us boys in a school of just 80 or so who wet the bed. We had the inevitable rubber sheets on our bed but were also changed into terry nappy pants and waterproof pants before bed time. I continued to wet the bed until my early teens. Then dry again for a couple years when it started again. It often coincided with times of stress e.g. exams. I was then dry until I suffered a spinal injury playing rugby in my mid 20s and started wetting the bed again. Since then over 35 years ago subsequent spinal issues have left my IC and I now wear nappies 24/7 to manage it and lead a normal life.

Back