Are high capacity nappies a waste of money for dribblers?

bobbilly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'm a continuous dribbler and small gusher. I can basically keep my sphincter open and let the slightest drop out without clenching my sphincter. My bladder capacity has shrunk and I never flood, although I'm not incontinent from sphincter weakness. Because I dribble I don't leak.

I find it a waste of money wearing something like BetterDry as I never use their capacity and if I did I would be wearing one over 8 hours and I start to smell and that can't be healthy. I'm quite happy with Tena Slips or Drylife Slips as I can change these every 4 hours and and although I've not used all their capacity it feels like I haven't wasted them.

Are high capacity nappies for flooders?

Reactions: Monkeypuzzler
The smell part doesn't necessarily mean much regarding to how healthy it is, as how well a diaper handles smell comes down to the agents used to equalize the pH. Maybe I just have resilient skin, but I have NEVER gotten a rash from #1 alone. I'm pretty sure that rashes occur when #1 and 2 interact with eachother to produce worse chemicals.

If you're concerned about smell, get some baking soda and put it in your bath once or twice a week, it will deodorize your skin.

As for the final question, as someone who wears PeekABUs 24/7, I don't flood, I just don't hold.

All depends on what you find comfortable and what you feel secure in. There’s no such thing as too much protection (despite what some in the medical profession apparently say), but there’s definitely such thing as too little protection... and that goes for anyone who uses the toilet in their pants, whether through choice or necessity!

Last edited:
Depends entirely on your usage, I think.

For me, overnight, a Drylife XPlus or a Formacare Comfort Slip Super is more than sufficient.

On one hand a high capacity diaper can mean fewer changes and is usually overall a better value than going through a larger number of less expensive diapers. On the other hand if you have the disposable income to buy more capacity than you need (and your situation allows for thicker diapers) you may just want to go with a better diaper as an all-purpose one that works in any case you have.

For me, more expensive diaper aren't going to break the bank, and "I'm worth it!" so I don't mind spending a bit more on a diaper I won't get to fully use. It's lower stress that way anyhow.

I'm wearing 24/7 and also find "medium" capacity diapers as much more suitable. The first thing is smell as you already mentioned and skin healh. When you occasionally wear diapers thats not a big deal, but when you're IC or just diapered 24/7, wearing wet diaper for 8 or 10 hours it's propably not the best idea.
The other thing is that diapers with huge capacity are more expensive and usually you can't get those i big pack. I live in Poland and most popular adult diapers are Tena and local brand - Seni. Medium capacity diapers like Tena Slip Super and Seni Super Plus are availible in packs of 30 pcs, while a maximum cap diapers like Tena Slip Maxi or Seni Quatro only in 10pcs packs. I need around 120 diaper per month, so it's much easier and cheaper to get 4 bigger pack than 12 small.
Besides, the fact that the diaper has a high capacity is one thing, but it still needs to be able to absorb it quickly so that no leakage occurs. When you sit down, the difference between two diapers of different capacity may be much smaller than it appears.

Reactions: pampers4U
I wear a high-capacity diaper (NorthShore MegaMax) although I almost never completely soak it. The thing that worries most about wearing diapers is leaks. I want my bed and the outside of my pants to stay dry! With a high-capacity diaper I never have to worry about leaks; and I almost never have to use more than 3 diapers in 24 hours. However, my skin is quite tough. So I almost never get a rash; and my partner never detects any odour.

Wearing a diaper that keeps your pants dry is never a waste, I average 8 hours out of a betterdry diaper with no smell if you can save having to change at work the betterdry diaper is worth the cost. Even if you change midway through the day with the betterdry diaper its still worth it for the peace of mind your diaper will do its job

Last edited:
Reactions: ChocChip
Back