Anyone have the problem saying the word " diaper "

Sgdlboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
As a former bedwetter till late teens i couldn't say the word diaper without feeling embarrassed , even back then when i was in secondary school about 15 or 16 just before my bedwetting stopped and my diaper supplies running low , i wore every night back then , i had to tell my mom about restocking my diapers its kinda difficult , I always have trouble saying the word " diaper ". I would be like " mom you know my that thing is running low " and she be like " what thing " and i be like " you know that thing " and she still doesn't know what im talking about and i said " you know the thing i wear to bed at night " and then she got it and said " you mean your diapers " and i would sort of cringe and told her not to call it a diaper .

This was back then of course , even till now i couldn't say the word diaper in front of others , anyone else have trouble saying it or is it just me .

• Love
Reactions: SecretBabyBoy, Miccheck, Uriah and 12 others
It's not a fun word to say for sure, and for a long time I avoided it altogether, instead saying "cringe pants" or "gamer pants". I've gotten used to the term with people on this site and other communities where they're common, but to most people IRL; my partner, parents, friends, etc., I'd struggle to mention that I wear diapers, yeah.
The word carries weight.

Reactions: RadioactiveSquirrel, Billies1, TigerDL and 3 others
As a DL, I like the word "diaper." Incontinent Pants, Protective Pants are too "clinical."

• Love
Reactions: Lyokodl, Miccheck, PlastiBrain and 6 others
As a true Brit I prefer nappy but I don’t have an issue with the word diaper.

Reactions: Lyokodl, Paddy2020, TigerDL and 6 others
I had to really force myself to say it until I hit 24; after that, there was no problem. Not sure if that was part on my then-undiagnosed autism or not. Looking back, it all seems odd. :unsure:

Reactions: TigerDL, RedPandaDL and chrischrischris
I love the word diaper.

• Love
Reactions: Lyokodl, nwm, PlastiBrain and 6 others
Since I have difficulty pronouncing my rs I do (on a very literal level).

My feelings about the word vary depending on whether I am in little or adult mode.

Reactions: RedPandaDL and BobbiSueEllen
Sgdlboy said:
As a former bedwetter till late teens i couldn't say the word diaper without feeling embarrassed , even back then when i was in secondary school about 15 or 16 just before my bedwetting stopped and my diaper supplies running low , i wore every night back then , i had to tell my mom about restocking my diapers its kinda difficult , I always have trouble saying the word " diaper ". I would be like " mom you know my that thing is running low " and she be like " what thing " and i be like " you know that thing " and she still doesn't know what im talking about and i said " you know the thing i wear to bed at night " and then she got it and said " you mean your diapers " and i would sort of cringe and told her not to call it a diaper .

This was back then of course , even till now i couldn't say the word diaper in front of others , anyone else have trouble saying it or is it just me .
Oh dear. Poor you and poor mummy! What else could you call it, can you think up a term? Something that means diaper (which we call nappy)
but doesn't embarrass you? Of course the man problem is that your grown-up self cannot admit you want diaper so you're embarrassed - you
need to try and accept yourself more. Can you do that? :)
Are you are embarrassed because feel 'you're really too old for diapers' and should be without them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lyric, pampers47 and littledub1955
I always struggled with saying it growing up because I was embarrassed about my intense attraction to them and I was afraid the way I said it would somehow give me up. As I’ve grown older the word has become easier to use. My wife on the other hand doesn’t like the word and refers to them as “shorts”.

Reactions: Deleted member 5614, TigerDL, littlemoosey and 4 others
AAO said:
I always struggled with saying it growing up because I was embarrassed about my intense attraction to them and I was afraid the way I said it would somehow give me up. As I’ve grown older the word has become easier to use. My wife on the other hand doesn’t like the word and refers to them as “shorts”.
"Shorts" Does that affect your ability to accept and say diaper? Please don't think I'm being critical but Americans seem to have more problems talking about diapers and wetting. Do you think it has anything to do with being a predominantly protestant evangelical nation?

Reactions: Billies1 and Lyric
I don't have a problem saying diaper, but my wife also calls them your things... as in ''I am going shopping do you need any of your things"

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL, CLPP, RedPandaDL and 2 others
I just call it exactly what it is.....a diaper. My doctor calls it protection in an effort to not embarrass me with the fact that I am wearing a diaper.

Reactions: skunk053, Jim100 and BobbiSueEllen
I have difficulty saying the word 'diaper' too. It feels as if saying the word makes it obvious to others that I love to wear them. Dunno why, it's a stupid thought 😑

Reactions: TigerDL, RedPandaDL, Sgdlboy and 1 other person
I think it depends on what kind of AB/DL you are, and how you feel about using them and enjoying them (or not.) My DL status isn't public, so I don't vocalize the word often, but in my mind, it's always diaper. Diaper. DIAPER! I don't want to be "fitted into absorbent adult briefs," I want to be DIAPERED and SENT TO BED! Yeah! Anything else is just a euphemism.

That said, when I was a teenager just discovering my fetish/feelings, I did have a difficult time saying the word. In seventh grade, we would sometimes play word games where we'd be given a note card with a word on it, and the class would need to ask twenty questions and try and hone in on the word. My teacher would always throw some curveballs in the stack of cards, and one time I literally got the word "diapers." I was like "son of a..." and tried to keep a straight face while everyone asked questions and narrowed down what the word was. Like, what the hell.

More recently, a former co-worker was once rambling randomly about how they shouldn't put advertisements for adult diapers on TV. "Those are for people in hospitals, or bedridden." And I didn't say anything at all, just thought "Oh dear, you have no idea how important good diapers are to so many people..." Let's hope, as she gets older, she never has any plumbing problems.

Reactions: skunk053, littlemoosey, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
I call them my happy pants 😊

• Love
Reactions: TigerDL, littlemoosey, CLPP and 4 others
While I don't vocalize publicly my use of diapers very much, I don't have any problem using the word diaper. "I wear diapers" and "I like to wear diapers" have always been part of my thought process. If there is conversation about adult or baby diapers, I use the word "diaper" regularly. For me, it's just normal.

Reactions: TigerDL and BobbiSueEllen
1613570232807.png

• Haha
Reactions: nwm, WABX, sbmccue and 3 others
chamberpot said:
I don't have a problem saying diaper, but my wife also calls them your things... as in ''I am going shopping do you need any of your things"
:) That's really rather comical. I wonder whether there is more trouble accepting AB 's and DL's in the USA than here in England. But I think the majority here are American.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sgdlboy said:

Dude, your feelings of being unable to say the word is very close to my experience (except, of course, I call them nappies).

This might not apply to everyone else that are afraid to say whatever word that's used for them, but here's my take on it. I actually brought that up with my counsellor, and when we dived deep, it seems that the reason why I'm afraid to say the word out loud in front of other people is the fear that they will somehow infer that I like nappies or have thoughts about them, and then out me in front of the world.
The thing to understand in that context is that it is an irrational thought, so let's call it by its proper name: paranoia. Even if one is in a conversation that has nothing to do with our group, like for example, people talking about actual babies, one's strong association with nappies automatically comes into play and starts . However, the thing to realise is that given it's so obscure, and the topic is discussed so rarely, how the hell could some random person automatically strike gold and go "haha u wear diapers rofl"?

That is how I'm thinking about it from now on and, while I have some way to go, it does feel a little easier to apply a little logic to the situation.

As I said, this might not reflect everyone's experience, and I do understand where Sgdlboy is coming from with their recollections of feeling embarrassed by a parental figure not being sensitive about it (gone through it myself plenty of times).

Reactions: Lyokodl, BalloonsAndTeddies, RedPandaDL and 2 others
NinjaPizza said:
I think it depends on what kind of AB/DL you are, and how you feel about using them and enjoying them (or not.) My DL status isn't public, so I don't vocalize the word often, but in my mind, it's always diaper. Diaper. DIAPER! I don't want to be "fitted into absorbent adult briefs," I want to be DIAPERED and SENT TO BED! Yeah! Anything else is just a euphemism.

That said, when I was a teenager just discovering my fetish/feelings, I did have a difficult time saying the word. In seventh grade, we would sometimes play word games where we'd be given a note card with a word on it, and the class would need to ask twenty questions and try and hone in on the word. My teacher would always throw some curveballs in the stack of cards, and one time I literally got the word "diapers." I was like "son of a..." and tried to keep a straight face while everyone asked questions and narrowed down what the word was. Like, what the hell.

More recently, a former co-worker was once rambling randomly about how they shouldn't put advertisements for adult diapers on TV. "Those are for people in hospitals, or bedridden." And I didn't say anything at all, just thought "Oh dear, you have no idea how important good diapers are to so many people..." Let's hope, as she gets older, she never has any plumbing problems.
At first it was very hard as I felt ashamed of myself, especially being an ab. However, as I've gotten a little older, I've realized almost exactly what your saying, I'm wearing a DIAPER!!!! and that makes me happy. It comforts me and makes me smile!!

On a side note, Nappy is such a cute term that I would totally embrace too!!! But, being American, its just always been diaper for me. Heck, even cloth diapers seems foreign to me. Plastic diapers with super cute prints all the way!!!

• Love
Reactions: Lyokodl, RedPandaDL and BobbiSueEllen
Back