Anyone have the problem saying the word " diaper "

LilMichy said:
At first it was very hard as I felt ashamed of myself, especially being an ab. However, as I've gotten a little older, I've realized almost exactly what your saying, I'm wearing a DIAPER!!!! and that makes me happy. It comforts me and makes me smile!!

On a side note, Nappy is such a cute term that I would totally embrace too!!! But, being American, its just always been diaper for me. Heck, even cloth diapers seems foreign to me. Plastic diapers with super cute prints all the way!!!
LilMichy said:
At first it was very hard as I felt ashamed of myself, especially being an ab. However, as I've gotten a little older, I've realized almost exactly what your saying, I'm wearing a DIAPER!!!! and that makes me happy. It comforts me and makes me smile!!

On a side note, Nappy is such a cute term that I would totally embrace too!!! But, being American, its just always been diaper for me. Heck, even cloth diapers seems foreign to me. Plastic diapers with super cute prints all the way!!!
Thank you for a very interesting

Adair37 said:
Thank you for a very interesting account. I think Nappy is better than Diaper but then I'm English so I would.

Once I got interested in this as a kid I liked every mention of the word diapers but blushed to say it myself.

Going to the bathroom was super awkward to talk about in my family, which made diapers seem very embarrassing and taboo. I could hardly believe that babies do, um, that in their pants all the time and have to be cleaned up. And that my parents had to do that for me.

One of the first things I did was look up “diaper” in dictionaries and marvel that you could just say what they were for. I read about them in my parents copy of Dr. Spock too, with tingles of the forbidden at words like “wet” and “soiled.” it seemed unimaginably gross to be a parent and have to deal with that, but I was reading because I also felt confusing curious desire to know what it felt like to be the baby.

Dr. Spock taught me how to fold diapers just like the ones I wore as a baby, and when I would have “gone” in them and how often I needed to be changed. Pretty soon I had a full-blown fetish and was sometimes making and wearing and using diapers, (or going in my pants) and my secret made the word as embarrassing and fascinating as any word could be.

(The funny thing is how normal and absolutely routine diapers then become, so fast, once you actually have a baby around.)

Reactions: Billies1, Lumos and BobbiSueEllen
sinceiwassmall said:
Once I got interested in this as a kid I liked every mention of the word diapers but blushed to say it myself.
Oh! That is So Cute! I hope you've made friends here.

Reactions: sinceiwassmall
Lol, I think this really shows how the stigma of diapers is ingrained at such a young age (around the age of potty training, presumably!) I can't imagine any parent is trying to do this, it's just the way it is when you want to encourage your little pee and poop machine to use the potty instead, then the entire society ends up reflecting this subconscious and irrational idea with many never needing to confront it.

Diapers are for babies, pee and poop are gross, diapers hold pee and put poop, therefore diapers are gross. Tampons and pads are gross too, but more acceptable because you can't deny that half of all adults need and can't avoid them, just don't discuss it.

I got over my irrational uncomfortableness with the word diaper around the time I accepted my DL side. Someone else said it, I don't want to wear incontinence briefs or pads, I need to wear diapers. There's some power in taking ownership of a word vs. being irrationally shy of it. Today I no longer cringe when saying it, nor give it a second thought.

Also of note is Adam from Northshore trying to do his part at normalizing the use of the word diaper instead of euphemisms for the products he sells.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billies1, sinceiwassmall and BobbiSueEllen
yes! I simply refer to them as my personal products, I can't even say the brand names

• Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
PupSpaz said:
Lol, I think this really shows how the stigma of diapers is ingrained at such a young age (around the age of potty training, presumably!) I can't imagine any parent is trying to do this, it's just the way it is when you want to encourage your little pee and poop machine to use the potty instead, then the entire society ends up reflecting this subconscious and irrational idea with many never needing to confront it.

Diapers are for babies, pee and poop are gross, diapers hold pee and put poop, therefore diapers are gross. Tampons and pads are gross too, but more acceptable because you can't deny that half of all adults need and can't avoid them, just don't discuss it.

I got over my irrational uncomfortableness with the word diaper around the time I accepted my DL side. Someone else said it, I don't want to wear incontinence briefs or pads, I need to wear diapers. There's some power in taking ownership of a word vs. being irrationally shy of it. Today I no longer cringe when saying it, nor give it a second thought.

Also of note is Adam from Northshore trying to do his part at normalizing the use of the word diaper instead of euphemisms for the products he sells.
FudgedInLuvs said:
yes! I simply refer to them as my personal products, I can't even say the brand names
:)

Sgdlboy said:
As a former bedwetter till late teens i couldn't say the word diaper without feeling embarrassed , even back then when i was in secondary school about 15 or 16 just before my bedwetting stopped and my diaper supplies running low , i wore every night back then , i had to tell my mom about restocking my diapers its kinda difficult , I always have trouble saying the word " diaper ". I would be like " mom you know my that thing is running low " and she be like " what thing " and i be like " you know that thing " and she still doesn't know what im talking about and i said " you know the thing i wear to bed at night " and then she got it and said " you mean your diapers " and i would sort of cringe and told her not to call it a diaper .

This was back then of course , even till now i couldn't say the word diaper in front of others , anyone else have trouble saying it or is it just me .
here in the UK we say nappy, which i find hard to say so diaper is easier for me.

Reactions: SAPexpanded and BobbiSueEllen
I have difficulty saying the word 'diaper' too. It feels as if saying the word makes it obvious to others that I love to wear them. Dunno why, it's a stupid thought
I actually brought that up with my counsellor, and when we dived deep, it seems that the reason why I'm afraid to say the word out loud in front of other people is the fear that they will somehow infer that I like nappies or have thoughts about them, and then out me in front of the world.
Yep exactly this , its strange but i felt somewhat similar , im a DL now and if i said the word out loud in front of people im afraid others may out me even though its kinda stupid and irrational and they have no reason to know that i am one .

Reactions: geoinnappies and BobbiSueEllen
Back when I first got interested in diapers and living at home with my parents, not only saying diaper made me nervous, just being there when a diaper commercial would come on the TV would make me wonder if people were observing my reaction.

Reactions: Twily, Deleted member 5614, BalloonsAndTeddies and 2 others
willnotwill said:
Back when I first got interested in diapers and living at home with my parents, not only saying diaper made me nervous, just being there when a diaper commercial would come on the TV would make me wonder if people were observing my reaction.
I absolutely recall feeling like this as well, I was sure my reaction would give me away. I had a similar feeling recently when I was watching The Tiger King and it got to the bit where they’ve photoshopped Carol Baskin as an AB, I bear enough died as I was sure the friends I was watching it would realise I really do wear diapers out of choice.

willnotwill said:
Been there! My mother knows I wear for my nighttime issues, and knows the brands that I use, whenever Luvs airs an ad, despite her not having any issue whatsoever with me taking my precautions, I feel so self-conscious!

Reactions: RedPandaDL and BobbiSueEllen
I have no problems using the word "Diaper" as I'm a DL

I did have trouble saying "Pampers", "Luvs", "Huggies" and "Kimbies", too...that's gone now. 🥳

Reactions: geoinnappies
PupSpaz said:
I think this really shows how the stigma of diapers is ingrained at such a young age (around the age of potty training, presumably!) I can't imagine any parent is trying to do this, it's just the way it is when you want to encourage your little pee and poop machine to use the potty instead […]

Diapers are for babies, pee and poop are gross, diapers hold pee and poop, therefore diapers are gross.
For sure. As you say, “then the entire society ends up reflecting this.“

Every culture’s swear words show what is most uncomfortable and taboo to those people. In English, the forbidden words mostly have to do with sex and bodily functions. (In Quebec, by contrast, they’re all about transgressing against the symbols of the church.)

My parents were very loving, and really wanted to be relaxed about these kinds of things. They just didn’t know how and didn’t really manage it. That was pretty typical of the time.

So perfectly ordinary childhood experiences (and words) common to every one of us, like diapers, toilet training and accidents have all this emotional baggage. And whole fetish worlds are born. It’s sad, funny and psychologically fascinating.

Last edited:
sinceiwassmall said:
For sure. As you say, “then the entire society ends up reflecting this.“

Every culture’s swear words show what is most uncomfortable and taboo to those people. In English, the forbidden words mostly have to do with sex and bodily functions. (In Quebec, by contrast, they’re all about transgressing against the symbols of the church.)

My parents were very loving, and really wanted to be relaxed about these kinds of things. They just didn’t know how and didn’t really manage it. That was pretty typical of the time.

So perfectly ordinary childhood experiences (and words) common to every one of us, like diapers, toilet training and accidents have all this emotional baggage. And whole fetish worlds are born. It’s sad, funny and psychologically fascinating.
Now I wanna know what those words are in Quebec!

Also, I'm not sure of the connection between emotionally baggaged words and fetish - they obviously don't in them selves cause the fetish, or almost everone would have a diaper fetish!

I have never had a problem saying diaper. They are my underwear now, and have excepted it. My fiance does not have any problem saying diaper either. She always says to me let's go change your diaper, or let me check your diaper.

Reactions: Jim100 and BobbiSueEllen
PupSpaz said:
Now I wanna know what those words are in Quebec!

Also, I'm not sure of the connection between emotionally baggaged words and fetish - they obviously don't in them selves cause the fetish, or almost everone would have a diaper fetish!
Yeah, I could’ve said that part a lot better. It’s about the feelings, not the words. My favourite simple explanation of a fetish is it’s about something that becomes sexual and mixes pleasure and shame.

It’s treated as “dirty” because it’s wrong by social standards, but it feels good, or makes you feel really comforted or secure.

Diapers pick up so much stigma after a certain age but when we were little it felt good to wear them, and (because we’re sensory, uncivilized little creatures) sometimes even better to use them — and they brought all kinds of loving care.

So wanting to have any of that back again is very understandable (pleasure), and just not allowed (shame).

(As for Québecois swear words, the most common ones include “tabarnak” (tabernacle), câlice ((chalice), “osti” or “esti” (the “host” or religious bread), “maudit” (damned) and so on. These all have about the same profanity weight as “fuck” in English.”and often get strung together in long colourful phrases.)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PupSpaz and BobbiSueEllen
There is/was this person on Youtube, who would make comments. I believe he/she was from the UK, because he/she would insist strongly that there's no such word as "diapers", and that only nappies exist. This person did not care at all, that people in other English speaking countries will use different words for the same item. It was very annoying.

Back