Anyone have a "Parent" restrict their tablet/internet like a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbabybret

It said to place avatar here!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
  4. Other
So,

Has anyone had their internet or iPad/android restricted like a child...

Me, being from the older generation this didn't exist when I was a child by age!

But, having a time limit or bedtimes set on an app that is controlled by another sounds interesting, and it's something that can be done over the internet easily...

Can have someone else setup parent account and load the device(s) after load the parent account can change password, and your device will in essence be able to be restricted by the other...and not being local may be better as not to easily convince them to change their mind...

Yeah, I'm sure there is a way to blow the iPad away and get by it, albeit at a cost of resetting it to defaults...perhaps not though...not sure...haven't tried it yet...

Ex. Curbi or alike...
So, anyone ever do this?
It's intriguing to me, as I'm addicted to surfing at night instead of sleeping :)

Via the internet? No clue.
If you are actually at your "parent"'s place, he/she could probably set a time limit and window via the router if it has such functionality. My (real) parents had this and I hated it.

LittleLion said:
Via the internet? No clue.
If you are actually at your "parent"'s place, he/she could probably set a time limit and window via the router if it has such functionality. My (real) parents had this and I hated it.

Not exactly via router...but the device, like iPad or whatever...

Look at curbi...

A "parent" or anyone for that matter can open an account it's free...

The app once loaded onto say iPad will restrict times in the free version and lots of options in the paid version of course...

But as a sorta AB play idea...

You can set a bedtime (free version) and have it disable the internet an all the apps too, depending on what you want...in the paid version there is timeouts and options for each app on the device...

Looks pretty cool...

In the AB theme, would be a caregiver (anywhere for that matter) would be able to set the times the device is available and might be a fun role playing idea...

I myself can't have the entire internet off as I have exchange servers, web servers, and alike here at my home/business...so that isn't an option, but having my iPad turned off to sleep, or a timeout wouldn't hurt work, and might be a fun exchange...

So,

After looking at the curbi app

One person (parent) can make an account using a generic password, then the other (child) can install the app on whatever devices they want...

After that the (parent) will change password, and can change the schedule at will and allow or block apps as well...

I was intrigued by the idea and tried one on my tablet. It locked it down so thoroughly that I wound up having to uninstall it. It did an excellent job but a bit too well for me just playing around. Maybe I'll try again with a different app in the future.

Bigbabybret said:
So,

Has anyone had their internet or iPad/android restricted like a child...

Me, being from the older generation this didn't exist when I was a child by age!

But, having a time limit or bedtimes set on an app that is controlled by another sounds interesting, and it's something that can be done over the internet easily...

Can have someone else setup parent account and load the device(s) after load the parent account can change password, and your device will in essence be able to be restricted by the other...and not being local may be better as not to easily convince them to change their mind...

Yeah, I'm sure there is a way to blow the iPad away and get by it, albeit at a cost of resetting it to defaults...perhaps not though...not sure...haven't tried it yet...

Ex. Curbi or alike...
So, anyone ever do this?
It's intriguing to me, as I'm addicted to surfing at night instead of sleeping :)

Interesting concept, and probably could be done. SChools do this all the time to keep kids out of mischief online.

This is an idea I'm very interested in, since online time both keeps me from getting to sleep and stops me regressing/slipping into little space very deeply.

If anybody has a good recommendation for a program to do it, I'm all ears :) I've never heard of 'Curbi' until now.

Nope, I was a very tech savvy kid, lets say this, If i wanted something, i would bypass it.

I remember, I used to use dialup, and played games like postal 2, GTA etc. I was a odd kid. also learned to code too, not too usual, was just interested in it.

Hi

Don't know if it is possible to set a time out on the internet usage.

But for me having a bed time is important for me as I need about 9 hours sleep if I am going to stand any chance of adulting the following day. Plus I have found that routine works well for me even when I not Littling out.

Knowing that this is the time to do things helps me Focus on getting them done, then i can enjoy play time more.

Hope that helps you

Sisi

Ok,

Spent a bit of time working on this...

I locked out my own iPad, and didn't find a way to bypass it...didn't spend a lot of time, but I did some!

So, if someone wants to, I'd be willing to be the tester...on either side! PM me

But, this seems to be a great little (pun intended) idea!

Instructions
Setup a parent account on curbi...with a password you'll share to the child for now...using the parents email account! Do this online or via the curbi parent app....

Then give email and the password you used to setup the account to the child, they will install the app curbi kids...using email and password from the parent...install the secure certificates and trust relationship...it walks you through it...

After that the device will show up on the parents curbi app and web site login...parent will change password to something the child doesn't know...obviously.

Then the iPad/iPhone/android device is controllable from the parent, and I haven't seen a way around it...

One account can have many devices, I'd even spend the $4 a month for a paid account, having lots of additional configuration then...and content filtering etc...

So if someone want to try this pm me and I'll do it...!

I'm sure you can format the device to get around it, it you'd loose data and takes time...!

If some want me to parent them, I'd do that, and if they'd parent me back that would be great!

- - - Updated - - -

Shybug said:
Nope, I was a very tech savvy kid, lets say this, If i wanted something, i would bypass it.

I remember, I used to use dialup, and played games like postal 2, GTA etc. I was a odd kid. also learned to code too, not too usual, was just interested in it.

I'm very tech savvy as well, I see some ways around it, but it will take quite a bit of effort...

I'd love to have you install it with my ID and try to bypass it...I have people that would love to k ow if it's fairly secure! PM me I'll get you the info...

- - - Updated - - -

Trevor said:
I was intrigued by the idea and tried one on my tablet. It locked it down so thoroughly that I wound up having to uninstall it. It did an excellent job but a bit too well for me just playing around. Maybe I'll try again with a different app in the future.

Yeah, if someone else has the password and info to unlock it, and it's scheduled every day, that would work..

I doubt anyone that's been on here for long would if asked, to just unlock it and remove it...so you'd be way better off as it's controllable via another person and not self locked where you get into a loop!

- - - Updated - - -

caitianx said:
Interesting concept, and probably could be done. SChools do this all the time to keep kids out of mischief online.

Yes they do this at their proxy server or at their routers, this is a device lock, and disables the apps/games as well!

Makes the device not much smarter of fun then and old flip phone... :)

- - - Updated - - -

sisi said:

Hi

Don't know if it is possible to set a time out on the internet usage.

But for me having a bed time is important for me as I need about 9 hours sleep if I am going to stand any chance of adulting the following day. Plus I have found that routine works well for me even when I not Littling out.

Knowing that this is the time to do things helps me Focus on getting them done, then i can enjoy play time more.

Hope that helps you

Sisi

Yes, I sometimes need this as well...but I get off track as I sometimes work weird hours!

- - - Updated - - -

CharliePup said:
This is an idea I'm very interested in, since online time both keeps me from getting to sleep and stops me regressing/slipping into little space very deeply.

If anybody has a good recommendation for a program to do it, I'm all ears :) I've never heard of 'Curbi' until now.

Yes, seems nice app I'm very interested in this as well!

PM me if you'd like to try it...

In fact anyone can PM me if they want to try, I 100% promise if you wanted to quit or change the rules I will...not into making people's life hard, just make it a little (pun intended) better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back