Anyone ever go shopping for diapers and then "lose heart" and go home without them?

NinjaPizza

Needs more pizza.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Happened to me today. Happens to me about 50% of the time, actually, which is why I often order online.

Anyway, I decided to hit up Goodwill today because--you guessed it--I'm almost out of diapers. Now I'm staying with family right now, and I was shopping twenty miles away, very safe, and thought if I bought diapers I would keep them in my trunk and no one would be the wiser even if there is always some teeny tiny chance that while I'm here someone's like "Hey, do you have any tools? Oh yeah they're in the trunk of my car right next to the adult diapers you're not supposed to know about WAIT WHAT?"

But anyway, that's a problem easily solved--simply move the jumper cables and toolbox to the back seat on the minuscule chance someone needs to borrow them. So I figured I'd do that, and then I checked Goodwill to see if they had any adult diapers, and they totally did! They were the cheap white medical kind, but that's all I really wanted, just something to tide me over, maybe double up and sleep in for cozy stress free bedtimes until I can fit another load--heh, load--of more expensive diapers in my budget.

...and I chickened out. Too many people in the store, too many families, too many kids... I knew it shouldn't have mattered, it's not like anyone would say anything even if they had weird thoughts in their head. But I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger. Meh. I just let it go.

On the other hand, the last time I caught a bunch of diapers at the thrift store I was there at 9 in the morning, the only customer in the store, and I walked out of there pushing a cartload that I could hardly see over the top of. I got almost 100 diapers for about 10 bucks. Heck yeah!

But who here, while shopping for diapers, has either lost heart, chickened out, or just changed their mind? I will say that every time I have pulled through, either in person or online, I've always gone home and felt happy, happy, happy. It's always been worth it!

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, tempestcd, TigerDL and 2 others
NinjaPizza said:
Happened to me today. Happens to me about 50% of the time, actually, which is why I often order online.

Anyway, I decided to hit up Goodwill today because--you guessed it--I'm almost out of diapers. Now I'm staying with family right now, and I was shopping twenty miles away, very safe, and thought if I bought diapers I would keep them in my trunk and no one would be the wiser even if there is always some teeny tiny chance that while I'm here someone's like "Hey, do you have any tools? Oh yeah they're in the trunk of my car right next to the adult diapers you're not supposed to know about WAIT WHAT?"

But anyway, that's a problem easily solved--simply move the jumper cables and toolbox to the back seat on the minuscule chance someone needs to borrow them. So I figured I'd do that, and then I checked Goodwill to see if they had any adult diapers, and they totally did! They were the cheap white medical kind, but that's all I really wanted, just something to tide me over, maybe double up and sleep in for cozy stress free bedtimes until I can fit another load--heh, load--of more expensive diapers in my budget.

...and I chickened out. Too many people in the store, too many families, too many kids... I knew it shouldn't have mattered, it's not like anyone would say anything even if they had weird thoughts in their head. But I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger. Meh. I just let it go.

On the other hand, the last time I caught a bunch of diapers at the thrift store I was there at 9 in the morning, the only customer in the store, and I walked out of there pushing a cartload that I could hardly see over the top of. I got almost 100 diapers for about 10 bucks. Heck yeah!

But who here, while shopping for diapers, has either lost heart, chickened out, or just changed their mind? I will say that every time I have pulled through, either in person or online, I've always gone home and felt happy, happy, happy. It's always been worth it!
I can relate to this yes however as I've gotten older it's never an issue anymore.

Reactions: Jorelaxed and TheWaddlingDad
I have done that a few times in my younger days before I started buying my padding online, I would go to the store and look at the incontinence products, look around to see if anyone was watching, and then leave without buying anything. I have purchased from thrift stores a number of times and at least a couple of those purchases ended up being disposable changing/bed pads instead of diapers because they often came in clear plastic bags without any labeling except the price tag the thrift store put on them. I thought they were diapers until I went home to try them.

This was during my poor college days from 2003-2010. After that I started buying online and have avoided the anxiety that comes with buying diapers at a brick and mortar store.

Reactions: ThePaddedTurtle
Before I was 20, 100% the time. I'd be in a different town, stair at their diaper aisle for 10 minutes (I wanted Goodnites), and leave with no diapers. I bought Depends once in 2004 in a different town, but nothing again until I bought Underjams in 2008. In 2009 I discovered online diaper shopping, which had thicker, more awesome diapers (like Bambinos). Since then, I've been padded more regularily, and realized no one cares I buy diapers when I'm in the store. Online diaper shopping was a major catalyst for me.

What has happened to me is I look around for diapers and get pissed off because the ones I usually find at St. Vincent DePaul thrift stores or Goodwill are vintage, which would be good for ebay. But, more commonly, they're just too big for me. It's like they're always size L! What the heck? Then I go home disappointed. I had luck once and got some nice pullups, but that was really it.

• Love
Reactions: DwarvenDL
Ahh yes, size is another factor. Medium is what I look for, but if all they have is Large, I'll take those.

Never pull-up style diapers though, I much prefer the tape-on, diaper style diapers. And yeah I once accidentally bought some of those absorbent bed pad protector things, but I still used them, lol.

Traveling home tomorrow, I know at least one thrift store I can stop at for a peek. Hopefully I'll have better results.

Reactions: ThePaddedTurtle and KrankyPants
NinjaPizza said:

When I was younger 10-13... I chickened out a few times, but I was not out to "buy" diapers at the store. I was out to... "acquire" them at the store. Talk about an adrenaline rush.

Reactions: chamberpot
Not really, but mostly because I get my stuff online and my parents won’t open my mail unless I ask them to. If I couldn’t get it online, I’d be way more hesitant, but that’s less an issue of other customers noticing and more an issue of “I‘be worked there for years and most of the cashiers know me by name and they also know I don’t have kids.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 12srepaid
I have.... especially due to living in a very small town, where it's hard not to run into someone that knows you.

I hid for like a year then got found out, mainly because my autistic ass outed myself pretty quickly. Luckily I have awesome parents and friends, but for like a year or two I did have to hide myself and the stress was unbearable, and that probably what led to me cracking

Yes, the first time I went into Monoprix (on Cours Mirabeau in Aix-en-Provence) in 1999 (after my father returned to the US during my year studying abroad (in France)).

I originally came in (primarily) to buy some diapers that would fit me, but I chickened out.
It wasn’t a total loss, though. I did buy a light bulb that I needed while I was in there.

By the way, if the layout of the store is the same as when I was there the Goodnites should be on the second floor about half to three quarters of the way back on the left hand side when you are facing toward the back of the store (away from Cours Mirabeau).

I did eventually buy them there on a later trip. I think the reason they were tight on me was that back then they were only designed for 80 to 85 pounds at the most and I weighed around 125 pounds (give or take).

For me never any different than buying anything else.
I have left physical stores with nothing, and canceled online diaper orders plenty of times - but not due to "changre of heart" (have to have them, medically - always been the case) it was usually because not a huge rush at the time, and did not like the price for what I was getting.

when I was in my early to mid 20's, wife and I were in a thrift store in mpls, 70 miles from where we lived, there were adult plastic pants snap on plastic pants adult cloth diapers, tons of supplies and neither myself or my wife dared to buy them, this was back when my wife enjoyed diapering me in cloth!

KrankyPants said:
What has happened to me is I look around for diapers and get pissed off because the ones I usually find at St. Vincent DePaul thrift stores or Goodwill are vintage, which would be good for ebay. But, more commonly, they're just too big for me. It's like they're always size L! What the heck? Then I go home disappointed. I had luck once and got some nice pullups, but that was really it.
Oh yeah, I see alot of those diapers in L. I will spot desirable bags from across the store and then be so disappointed when I get to them and see they are all way too big.

To the original post:. I've done this quite often, enter a store with intent and walk out empty handed. I was so sad the day that most stores stopped carrying plastic backed diapers in lieu of the underwear/pullups style.

Reactions: ThePaddedTurtle and KrankyPants
For me no store around me sells actual adult diapers just the extra absorbent underwear like depends so I've never had to go shopping in a store for diapers

I started buying Walgreens brands when I first started buying and have gotten funny looks from cashier. Told them they were for my father in law. I then started buying on Amazon mainly. I recently found a care giver selling diapers on Facebook marketplace. She told me they get to many sent to them. So she is selling some to me now at discounted rate. Go some decent pullups that Amazon sell 80 count for $40.99. I got that for $12. 😍😍

littlefun said:
I started buying Walgreens brands when I first started buying and have gotten funny looks from cashier.
I usually had plenty around my while life (ic 24/7 from birth - nerve issue)Had a similar issue happen ONCE, in a CVS (rarely got any diapers in a place like that, do to quality - but at that moment just needed something - FAST). Couple high school girls working the register (I was in my early 20s at the time). Paid for them with no issues, but while walking toward the door, distinctly heard one say to the other "You don't know what they are?", a few moments latter - big giggles. Thought about going back and saying something, but never bothered. I thought some other more adult worker might have noticed what was going on, but was not sure at the time. But when I went back a few days later to pick up prescription medication, and a few other things - pretty sure that was the case - both those girls seemed to go out of there way to be EXTRA nice and helpful to me then! 😌

Reactions: TigerDL, ThePaddedTurtle and littlefun
Yes, and often. It seems like there is usually someone in the diaper isle, curious what I am doing there. Probably the same as me but it’s still to confronting to just get a pack while they are looking. That’s the benefits of online shopping and discreet packaging.

I have had some shopping opportunities but not in the usual way. One of them is when I go to a friend’s house and use the bathroom. At least one of his kids must wear diapers to bed then leaves them on the bathroom floor or the bin. Although they are tight, they still fit me, so I take a couple.

For my first time after a long long time of not wearing (3 years, just started again about a month ago), I paraded out of the store I worked at with two things of men's adult incontinence products (pull up underwear and pads) with the idea that if someone asked me, I was buying them for my disabled uncle. I had no care. Now we have an abdl store in our town, hidden inside of a medical supplies store. To find the time to get there is one thing, and once I get there I can't chicken out, because it's all the way across town... and I know faces who live in every part of this town... what if I ran into someone I know. 🤦‍♀️

Back